PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Chess 2010 Old School vs New School

teddybomber005
06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Cosplay Chess 2010! In honor of new beginnings and glorious ends Teddy Bomber and the MitchBot Minions are proud to be hosting the fourth annual Animazement Cosplay chess extravaganza. It is a trip down memory lane with Old School vs. New School.

After intense discussion and debate we have drawn the line at 1995. This is due to changes in style and production during this period and so that we can find enough cosplayers to fill up the old school side. To clarify...

If you are cosplaying from an Anime the Anime must have aired in 1995 or prior to be Old school.

If you are cosplaying directly from a Manga the Manga must be published 1995 or prior to be Old school.

If you are cosplaying from a Video Game the Video Game must have been released in 1995 or prior to be Old school.

Examples of Old school:

Anime: Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Bastard, Fushigi Yugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Evangelion, etc, etc, etc.

Manga: See above

Video Game: Tetris, Pong, Space Invaders, 8 bit Link, Pre-playstation Final fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Old mortal combat games, Blue Dragon,Duke Nukem, etc, etc, etc.

There are a lot more than this, we are just reminding you they exist and get you thinking of awesome cosplays.

What counts as new school? Anything that is not old school.

HOW TO APPLY:

Please send all of the following in one e-mail to:

azcosplaychess@gmail.com

Email Title should include the following in this format.

Character name, Real name, Source

Example:

Daphne Blake, Danielle Bishop, Scooby Doo

We need:

1. Your real name
2. Your character name
3. Where your character is from
4. A photo of your costume (it can be in progress)
5. Your cosplay.com or Animazment forum name so we can contact you.
We check cosplay.com A LOT more often.
6. Give an example, or several, of a taunt, attack, or death you might use.

We want to see that you can have fun with it, because if you have fun with it, it makes a better show for everyone. It also helps us decide who to use when more than one person applies as your character, or when we get a lot of applications.

You DO NOT need to know anything about chess in order to be in cosplay chess. We have chess masters for that. You just need to be in costume and

IF YOU DO NOT SEND A PHOTO OF YOUR COSTUME WE WILL DELETE YOUR APPLICATION FASTER THAN SPAM.

This is the main reason why people got rejected last year. All of this is to make it a more efficient process.

We do not send individual e-mail receipt letters. We will post who we have received e-mails from. This might take a little while to update so please be patient. Really only I will be checking e-mail, and this is my senior year at SCAD. I's be busy bee.

We don't send rejection letters or reasons why. There are too many applications to do this. We will e-mail you if you are accepted.

Look forward to seeing everyone at Cosplay Chess.

TeddyBomber and the MitchBot Minions.

teddybomber005
06-04-2009, 08:51 AM
List Of email I got.
1.salty
2.Zaverxi
3.Tigress
4.Hibiki-dono
5.BlackCatGodess
6.Lovelychristina
7.PuppetQueen
8.BlindCalliope
9. Foxberry
10.wpearlmermaid
11.Lovelychristina

teddybomber005
06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
This post is the list for people in chess. I not be updated until closer to con. I just want it to be on the 1st page when time comes

salty
06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I love you guys :)

Zaverxi
06-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Woohoo! Signing up for Cosplay Chess, round 2! Cosplay Chess or BUST!!!

Zipchan
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Oooh, I know what I want to enter this time. I just need to finish it first. XD

Foxberry
06-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Ah! I've got something planned but I need to start on the costume, but it probably won't be till after my next convention in October.

Kaicyios
06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd be happy to participate again this year. I have a few new cosplay plans this year. I'd love to submit Master Asia from G Gundam if I finish it this year. If I plan a bit ahead I wouldn't see a problem bring Seele if you wanted to use them. Hotohori is always up for grabs too if you feel like using him again.

Zaverxi
06-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I did notice that the person who was Hunny from Ouran High School Host Club this year seemed to have been the same person who did Phoenix Wright last year. I hope other people get a chance rather than the same group all the time... not that I'm complaining, I loved it when Hunny became a queen and defeated Needle Woman with a camera. XD I actually have a picture of that...

Tigress
06-06-2009, 04:19 AM
I did notice that the person who was Hunny from Ouran High School Host Club this year seemed to have been the same person who did Phoenix Wright last year. I hope other people get a chance rather than the same group all the time... not that I'm complaining, I loved it when Hunny became a queen and defeated Needle Woman with a camera. XD I actually have a picture of that...

Like I said on my con review: If it seems that the same people keep getting picked, it's because they've proven themselves to be reliable, drama-free, entertaining and have helped teddybomber in the past with the event.

Some of the people that were recruited for this event in the past seemed more interested in getting their 15 seconds of fame instead of entertaining the crowd. I've seen people whine about being eliminated too early, for being assigned as a pawn instead a royalty piece and getting passed over for a more simplistic (but more recognizable) cosplay. (All of which, IMNSHO, is the quickest way to continue to get passed over as a chess piece.)

Teddybomber is trying to avoid this from happening by having people apply and then picking her 32 from the pool. (There's also the added advantage of weeding out the people that can't follow simple directions. Really, if you can't be bothered to do something as simple as attach a picture of your costume, chances are you won't listen to directions during the event either.)

That being said, I was told that the organizers wanted to do more with me than what ended up happening this year, so I said that if my costume fits the theme next year, I'd be happy to bring it back so they could have another chance to utilize me the way they wanted. Since Rainbow Brite is definitely old school, I sent my appy in. :bigtu:

I also just bought a lot more candy (15 pounds of it; the initial 5 I bought this year went FAST), so I'll have plenty to chuck at the new schoolers!

Aduial
06-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I would love to participate next year. My costume is currently in the works, and it is New School since it just finished it's run this April. My only problem is figuring out attacks and taunts. Stupid earls.

Sen'il Ionia
06-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I loved it when Hunny became a queen and defeated Needle Woman with a camera. XD I actually have a picture of that...

I saw that picture and saved it! I was hoping someone had gotten footage of that... I can't believe she actually brought out the camera, that was PERFECT on her part.

Some of the people that were recruited for this event in the past seemed more interested in getting their 15 seconds of fame instead of entertaining the crowd. I've seen people whine about being eliminated too early, for being assigned as a pawn instead a royalty piece and getting passed over for a more simplistic (but more recognizable) cosplay.

See:

That being said, I was told that the organizers wanted to do more with me than what ended up happening this year, so I said that if my costume fits the theme next year, I'd be happy to bring it back so they could have another chance to utilize me the way they wanted.

That said, almost the entirety of your post was unnecessary lecturing. Zaverxi brought up what he/she thought was a legitimate concern, and they did it in a tactful and respectful manner. I read no blatant accusations there. We all understand that Teddybomber/Danielle worked very hard for this panel and that it can't possibly have been easy - encouraging fan/audience participation rarely is, and no, I don't envy her for having to weed through and make final decisions on who was in and who wasn't. However, there's really no overlooking the fact that the people that didn't make it in really do have every right to be disappointed. Angry? No. But disappointed? Well, wouldn't you be? I heard you mention at several points that you were disappointed about being eliminated too early at the behest of the audience - I mean, that's what this is all about, right? Giving the audience what they want?

And really, I'm wrinkling my nose at the fact that you're talking down to someone about "behind the scenes drama" and whining about not getting to do enough, and then a few paragraphs later, you go on to talk about how you know for a fact that you should have been used more, and that you're willing to give them another chance next year. Honestly? That was unnecessary. Entirely.

Anyway... old school vs. new school. Hmm. I had a blast this year (my first year in cosplay chess!), but I'm not sure if I'll be participating next year. I was so jazzed that Needlewoman fit the theme so perfectly when the theme announcement came this year, but I don't know that any of my 2010 costume plans really fit this one. I mean, they're all technically new-school... but I have trouble connecting Fatal Frame to that label, for some reason. Then again, who knows? I had so much fun being a creeper this year, perhaps I'll give in and apply for OS v. NS, too. We'll see, aye? =)

Zaverxi
06-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Yikes, calm down. I'm not disputing the fact that people are chosen based on their skills in role-playing their characters and the quality of their costumes. I'm just saying that it would be fair for other people to get the chance as well. Cosplay chess is a really fun experience from what I've seen, and there's many disappointed people because of limited slots. I know I was one of them, for sure! My costume was totally creepy this past Animazement. >_>;

It seems to me that there'll be more people signing up for New School than Old School, because there's a lot more of the former than the latter. Either that, or I'm just clueless. XD

salty
06-06-2009, 09:40 PM
<-- old school

Enzera87
06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Hahaha! Yes you are OLD SCHOOL! XD~

Hmm. . I'm might be joining this 2010 chess game as Captain Harlock for the Old School. Then again I might not. It will depend on how fast I can get he costume put together.

Tigress
06-07-2009, 05:13 AM
And really, I'm wrinkling my nose at the fact that you're talking down to someone about "behind the scenes drama" and whining about not getting to do enough, and then a few paragraphs later, you go on to talk about how you know for a fact that you should have been used more, and that you're willing to give them another chance next year. Honestly? That was unnecessary. Entirely.

I didn't mean for it to come across as lecturing and/or whining. I have a blast every year I participate and didn't care that I was one of the first eliminated. For the record, I usually am one of the first eliminated and spend the rest of the event taking pictures. I try to get a few shots of each "fight" for the participants, but my batteries started dying halfway through this go-round.

However, catering to the crowd threw off the "script" teddybomber had planned out, which made her quite irritated because it caused them to have to scramble to get things back on track. Thus the re-applying with Rainbow Brite, so she can have me do what she wanted next time. If she doesn't want to have repeat cosplays (understandable), I'll change my application to another planned cosplay.

The "lecturing" is in response to the 20+ PMs and private conversations that I got concerning the event, both before and after. I've had several people come to me to express their disappointment about not getting picked, which I understand. However, a few of these people have also accused teddybomber of favoritism or having some kind of grudge against them, which is simply not true. I've also heard the "give other people a chance" mantra privately, without any apparent thought as to why the same cosplayers get chosen. Hence my (poorly executed) explanation.

Hope this clarifies any misgivings.

FinalHeavenTifa
06-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Whoa... tiny catfight already. Chill.... O.o

I wasn't able to get to this year's cosplay chess (but I did attend at AUSA) and would LOVE to do one next year. The only thing is... I'm doing the Goddess Din from Legend of Zelda (not Oracle of Seasons, but by my own design)
Would that count as Old school AND New school at the same time? I mean Zelda's been around for almost 23 years (happy birthday to me and Zelda!!) My friends are doing the other 2 goddessess respectively and we could do a kickass attack.

Tigress
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I wasn't able to get to this year's cosplay chess (but I did attend at AUSA) and would LOVE to do one next year. The only thing is... I'm doing the Goddess Din from Legend of Zelda (not Oracle of Seasons, but by my own design)
Would that count as Old school AND New school at the same time? I mean Zelda's been around for almost 23 years (happy birthday to me and Zelda!!) My friends are doing the other 2 goddessess respectively and we could do a kickass attack.

I'd say go with the specific Zelda title that Din appears in (or the first title, if she appears in multiple titles) and use its publishing date as the basis for old v. new.

FinalHeavenTifa
06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Tigress:
She's part of the whole Zelda series... which the first game came out in 86 if i'm not mistaken. The actual character named Din in Oracle of Seasons wasn't the Goddess herself...
Hense the reason i'm asking. It's never truly mentioned WHAT particular game it started in, only to be known that the 3 goddesses created Hyrule. It's only blantly stated in Ocarina of Time. If this deems to be more trouble than it's worth, then I guess I'll have to rechoose.
What say you, TeddyBomber?

djkidna
06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Email Sent. I is oldschool

teddybomber005
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Is see there is a lot of drama. But but to answer some of these questions:
*I do not pick people based on favoritism or having some kind of grudge against them. I don't even know 99% of the people who apply. Why would I have a grudge against them???

*Like Tigress said the reason why some of the same people make are picked is b/c they have some exp and are really easy to work with. I hate working with people who want to yell at me all the time. Makes me not want to work them and makes running the match a lot harder then it needs to be. I try to have a good mixture people with exp and new people
*I would just like it to be known that it is just not me who pick out the people who are in chess. I have a small team people help me pick out people. My team is Grav, Chris Ross and a few other. AKA the other people who help run chess. I do this because I want other peoples input who run the match and to make sure I get as close to the theme as I can.

*The Biggest reason that most people get turned down is b/c the app. is not filled out right. All the info that that I ask for is what makes the decision. If you do not put everything in it lowers your chance at getting in. I look at the costume but mostly oh how people fill out the attacks and etc. B/c that the main point of it.

*I really do feel bed that there are only 32 people that can play in the match. But what are you going to do about it. And if any one really has hard feelings about it can talk to me about it. Just email or pm me. It is a very hard panel to run and I do try my best and let try and keep the forum free of drama
Thanks

djkidna
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
On the remark that only 32 people can play in the match, is that really true? I mean is it not possible for a character piece to summon other characters from outside the match when they take out another piece? I saw it at the first AZ Chess match back at the Sheraton. I think acting as summons for a kill makes up for the number of people who can play on the board itself. And it's all in good fun.

Grav
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
On the remark that only 32 people can play in the match, is that really true? I mean is it not possible for a character piece to summon other characters from outside the match when they take out another piece? I saw it at the first AZ Chess match back at the Sheraton. I think acting as summons for a kill makes up for the number of people who can play on the board itself. And it's all in good fun.

Wow.. drama

Anywho. We generally do have a small handful of summons each year (1-4). More than that and it gets overly complicated and frankly dangerous. This year we had a set of Daikon bro summons, another cousin from Katamari, and I'm forgetting the other one. Summons are non official pieces and generally we will have a few people in the match who are part of a small cosplay group. We allow them to be summons to spice things up and that way their friends don't feel left out. Sometimes we just pull people directly form the audience such as Roy Mustang this year "Oh Snap!"

We try to limit the number of people from a particular show/game etc. I think it was our second year when we got flooded by naruto cosplayers.

As Teddy has stated, a lot of people get turned down because they don't fill out all the info, most often they don't attach a picture. It doesn't have to be done, but it should give us an idea of what it will look like. We aren't really judging the costume, just making sure it exists, and looks like the character. This is because you might really want to do this costume... but you get accepted and never get around to starting it. This is also because we don't accept original characters. We figure if you can follow simple direction here, you can follow simple directions at the con.

I know there are always some people I hope apply again because they really really get into it and make it fun for everyone. I'm kinda sad master guy from our first year didn't come back, he was hilarious. So were the mario people that year. Last year the guys as the Hitachin twins were my favorite. This year I think one of the high lights was "king fu". That's why we stress the attack ideas. Those are the best moments in the match so I always put my vote in for folks who show some really cool ideas for attacks, heckling, and deaths.

hmm... Lastly I will say I will never vote for anyone to appear in the same costume twice, no matter who it is, or how well they fit the theme. There are too many folks who look forward to this and want to be in it to ever allow for that in my humble opinion.

Tigress
06-08-2009, 11:16 PM
hmm... Lastly I will say I will never vote for anyone to appear in the same costume twice, no matter who it is, or how well they fit the theme. There are too many folks who look forward to this and want to be in it to ever allow for that in my humble opinion.

That occurred to me after I had re-submitted Rainbow Brite. (You wouldn't want repeats.)

Then it occurred to me that Kefka (which I plan to do at AZ next year) would fit as well. Could I submit that costume for consideration as well as (or instead of) RB? (I won't do so until I've actually started on it, which probably won't be until after Otakon.)

djkidna
06-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Aha! Kefka! More power to the oldschool Final Fantasy! *is Black Mage*

Heartless Halo
06-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Well by AZ next year I should have my Ronin Warriors Cosplay done :3

Tigress
06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Aha! Kefka! More power to the oldschool Final Fantasy! *is Black Mage*

Heh. The reason I didn't think to apply with Kefka (aside from the fact that I haven't started work on it) is because he straddles the 1995 cut-off. FF6 was published in Japan in 1994, but didn't migrate to the US until 1995.

But trading insults with a Sephiroth during the match would be awesome.

Grav
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Heh. The reason I didn't think to apply with Kefka (aside from the fact that I haven't started work on it) is because he straddles the 1995 cut-off. FF6 was published in Japan in 1994, but didn't migrate to the US until 1995.

But trading insults with a Sephiroth during the match would be awesome.

I would say apply when you get some work done on it. We aren't really going to make choices on next years line up until.. well probably winter break. We just knew a lot of people flood the forums right before and right after con and since we were going for a bit more complex theme, we wanted to get the word out extra early.

Again we're basing EVERYTHING on the ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE.

Example: Gundam Wing was released in Japan in 1995 so it is old school. It doesn't matter that it did not air in the US until 2000, especially since a lot of anime never makes it onto US airwaves. Either way if you aren't sure, apply and state the one you think it is and we'll be going through everything anyway.

teddybomber005
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM

I don't work out summons most time. Most time friends get together and work something out. However this year I went tried to connected people from the same show together. It was my way of trying to get more people into the match.

Tigress
06-10-2009, 01:18 AM
I would say apply when you get some work done on it.

Will do. That was the plan anyway. >^_^<

Again we're basing EVERYTHING on the ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE.

Old school it is, then.

Lovelychristina
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Sending Email- New school :3

teddybomber005
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Just to tell everyone. If you are looking for the info about chess in the AZ froums that it has now been moved to EVENTS SECTION!

Thats right Chess has been moving up in the World!

Zaverxi
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Woot! Awesomeness!

And as to the summons, well, AZ'09 I was told I could be the summon for someone but they never did summon me. Double disappointment!

Foxberry
06-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Oldschool... Sent. X3

BlindCalliope
06-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I'll totally have my e-mail application sent to you sometime tonight, hopefully!

Old school, prepare yourself. You're about to have an upbeat, fast talking, Irish accented, snaggle toofed, (and possibly River Dancing) wind-taming goblin begging to join your ranks! That's right. Jin Kaze Tsukai from Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm fixing him up just for this! If I get accepted that is. XD *crosses fingers*

Zaverxi
06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll totally have my e-mail application sent to you sometime tonight, hopefully!

Old school, prepare yourself. You're about to have an upbeat, fast talking, Irish accented, snaggle toofed, (and possibly River Dancing) wind-taming goblin begging to join your ranks! That's right. Jin Kaze Tsukai from Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm fixing him up just for this! If I get accepted that is. XD *crosses fingers*

WHOOOO! Another Yu Yu Hakusho person!!!!!! *GLOMPS* We must pose together sometime, even though Jin and Hiei never fought. :D

BlindCalliope
06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Heck yeah! I'd love that! We can just be awesome together. Either that or I can tug your lips into a smile and be all "CHEER UP EMO KID." XD And hit on your sister.

Zaverxi
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Alas, I am lacking a friend who is willing to play Yukina. I do have a friend who is going to be cosplaying as Kuwabara however, and he's bringing, wait for it....

A Spirit Flyswatter. XD Giant-sized, of course.

BlindCalliope
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
XD I LOVE IT. I want him to say "Flyswatter get longer!" Please. It cracks me up. In my mind. Oh god.

I have a friend who cosplays Yukina! She's like...really tall though. So it's kinda funny. I dont' know if she could make it to AZ. It's a bit of a drive for her.

But we're getting a bit off topic. XD What say you we make a new thread or something?

Kaicyios
06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I see a lot of interesting ideas for next year. I love the creativity this event inspires. I hope to submit something that I can have as much fun with as I did this year. I have more moves up my gigantic sleeves than just King Fu. Get ready for Rook Fu, Knight Fu, Bishop Fu, Pawn Fu, or even the forbidden Queen Fu?!

Hyoban
06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I can't wait till I have more work done on my Justin Law costume! My young Simon cosplay would be interesting, but Justin Law will have way more attacks. Really hoping to be able to get in this year. By the way, anyone know the best time to have applications in by? Does it matter how early you send them in?

Zaverxi
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Well judging how it went last year, you just need to have it in by the beginning of May. Although sending it in almost a year ahead of time, it might be a good idea to send it in again closer to Animazement just in case something happened to the first one. That's what I'm going to do, unless Teddybomber says not to do that.

I only have the picture of me from last year though, I'm going to improve my costume and send in a better picture since the only picture I had was me posing with a Kurama and she was also in the picture.

BlindCalliope
06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
All my pictures of my costume had more than just me in them. XD

teddybomber005
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I can't wait till I have more work done on my Justin Law costume! My young Simon cosplay would be interesting, but Justin Law will have way more attacks. Really hoping to be able to get in this year. By the way, anyone know the best time to have applications in by? Does it matter how early you send them in?

I really does not matter when you send it it. I really stop looking at new apps during May b/c by then I have started making the list and AZ is soon. I would have to say the early the better. But AZ has been only a few weeks past so you can wait for a while

Zaverxi
06-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Quick question.... we are allowed to 'attack' with props, right? Because the idea I have for one of my attacks involves a prop that will require me to throw something at my 'victim'.

liivingdeadgirl
06-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Quick question.... we are allowed to 'attack' with props, right? Because the idea I have for one of my attacks involves a prop that will require me to throw something at my 'victim'.

I know props are allowed, however I don't know about throwing it, unless it's fairly small and squishy/soft (like something made out of foam that won't really hurt anyone or a stuffed animal), but even then if you hit someone in the eye with something soft it can still hurt. I would say use the prop but just pretend to beat them with it.

I can't wait til I get my new costumes finish, I will prolly apply with three different costumes and let them choose since all of them are from pretty new series.
Setsuna (Season 2 uniform) - Gundam 00
Alice - Pandora Hearts
Grell (shinigami) - Kuroshitsuji

The first two I will have done by Neko in november, Grell I will have done for Katsu in feb so I will send pictures then. ^_^

Zaverxi
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I wasn't planning on beating anyone with it. It'll weigh a pound, two pounds top. Just enough weight so that it can be thrown, but it couldn't hurt anyone even if it did hit their eye. Irritate it a little, but not hurt.

salty
06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I wasn't planning on beating anyone with it. It'll weigh a pound, two pounds top. Just enough weight so that it can be thrown, but it couldn't hurt anyone even if it did hit their eye. Irritate it a little, but not hurt.Two flying pounds can hurt. A lot.

Best bet is to get a nerf football (the foam is a little denser in those, therefore will fly further) and carve it into what you want it to be.

SorcererSupreme
06-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Okay, this thread makes me feel old because almost all the shows I adore fall under the 'Old School' threshhold. LOL

Zaverxi
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a new tactic for my attack. I'm going to make the 'snake-in-a-can' only have it be Dragon of the Darkness Flame in a can. XD

PuppetQueen
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I finally sent in my application [: I'd be newschool if I get in.

Yay Hazuki!

MiddayIce
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
my costume is currently on hold while i get the funds up. but i was going to do roux louca from gundam double zeta. its OLD ScHOOL. and my husband is doing judau ashta from the same Series.

Maybe ill sign up closer to az once i got the things figured out. i hope i do make it this year.

lord warhammer
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
good evening everyone.
sent in my app, for the chess game.
have fun with it

Zipchan
07-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I just had a thought, and I thought I'd ask about it before I choose a character for my app this year.

What's the cosplay chess policy on characters from live action (tokusatsu)? I'm cosplaying as Ryuutaros from Kamen Rider at AZ, and it could be an interesting addition to the new school side.

I've got other cosplays I can apply with, but I wanted to check on that first before making any major decisions. ^_^;

MiddayIce
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
well i remeber the old kamen rider. so i guess it really could be used as both since there is a new version out

teddybomber005
08-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I just had a thought, and I thought I'd ask about it before I choose a character for my app this year.

What's the cosplay chess policy on characters from live action (tokusatsu)? I'm cosplaying as Ryuutaros from Kamen Rider at AZ, and it could be an interesting addition to the new school side.

I've got other cosplays I can apply with, but I wanted to check on that first before making any major decisions. ^_^;

I have not seen the show but I know some people who do. Just send in the app and I can take it from there

djkidna
08-03-2009, 01:40 PM

That would actually be awesome if I had Kamen Rider Kick Hopper finished, then we could have Kick Hopper vs Kamen Rider 1

Ulqorimiforever
08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
This look like so much fun! i love to be apart of this event! I'm soo signing up for the old school side!!

teddybomber005
08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
i updated the list of emails i have got

liivingdeadgirl
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm going to try and convince my friends to apply with me in our (season 2) Gundam 00 uniforms. It would be really cool if we could get on as new school, and have some other Gundam chars on the old school side. XD

I, at least, will submit pics as soon as I get the costume finished, though I'm hoping they can be convinced. ^_^

Nightflame
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I want to do it.

MiddayIce
01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
unfortunatley if i join it will be under new school. because i had to drop a cosplay or 2

theonlyangel77
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
do you have any idea of when it will be held? i am running a pannel and in the masquerade and I dont want to sign up with you guys and then find out i cant make it. (new school)

liivingdeadgirl
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I think last year it was friday during the day....I think. I'm not 100% positive. I wore Euphie and I think I only wore her friday. But if memory serves it would have been around 2pm friday, which would be perfect. I've decided to apply with Break. I will also prolly apply with Allen and Nia when I get them done, but Break will be done in about two weeks. ^_^

Tigress
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
It was Saturday around 1 pm, actually.

MissMina2
01-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I think last year it was friday during the day....I think. I'm not 100% positive. I wore Euphie and I think I only wore her friday. But if memory serves it would have been around 2pm friday, which would be perfect. I've decided to apply with Break. I will also prolly apply with Allen and Nia when I get them done, but Break will be done in about two weeks. ^_^

Nope. It was last year Saturday either 12 or 1 in the afternoon.

theonlyangel77
01-21-2010, 07:42 AM
yuck.... i am doing a skit on saturday for the cosplay so i doubt that will give me time to do this :( ah well....

liivingdeadgirl
01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Ah, maybe I was thinking of the thread from last year, I think they told people who wanted to come last minute to show up friday or something if they wanted to do it.

Oh well, guess I can't do it this year. Too bad, it was such a blast!

MissMina2
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
yuck.... i am doing a skit on saturday for the cosplay so i doubt that will give me time to do this :( ah well....

You should have plenty of time. o-o Skits aren't done until that night, normally around 7, for the 2 years I went it's been from 7-9 at night on Saturday, you'd have a good bit of time...

liivingdeadgirl
01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
You should have plenty of time. o-o Skits aren't done until that night, normally around 7, for the 2 years I went it's been from 7-9 at night on Saturday, you'd have a good bit of time...

Except theres the rehearsal in the morning that usually goes to noon and then the seating and line up starts around 5-6pm. The hard part is, if you're in my situation, getting out of the costume and back into it, as I'm wearing a ballgown for my skit, lol. It would take me about an hour to go back to the hotel, change into another costume, and get back to the con for chess, and vice versa when it's over. And I prolly need to EAT sometime between then, lol. I would just hate to commit and then for some reason not be able to make it. I guess it just depends on what time it is. If it's 1:30 - 3:30 I could prolly do it, but that's about it. o.O

theonlyangel77
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
i agree with liivingdeadgirl. when you do a skit, your entire saturday is taken up by that performance, rehersal, costume judging, line up (is usually an hour before you guys are seated) and the time in between is just enough to rest, practice, and eat...saturdays are always booked for me, but i love doing skits so im not mad :)

Just wish i could get a chance to do this once... seems all the cons do it when i am planned for something else ^-^

Chasie
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm working on a Terra Branford costume...but am slightly confused. (sorry if this was already mentioned!!! D;) Final Fantasy 6 is old school, but I'm doing a Dissidia version which is definitely new school. Sooooo... I would be NS correct?

blueskysunday
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm working on a Terra Branford costume...but am slightly confused. (sorry if this was already mentioned!!! D;) Final Fantasy 6 is old school, but I'm doing a Dissidia version which is definitely new school. Sooooo... I would be NS correct?

I would think it would still classify as old school even though it's an updated design of the costume. Because even though it is the Dissidia version, it's still FF6. Ultimately, it would be up to the people deciding on the characters, but that's just how I see it.

Chasie
01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I would think it would still classify as old school even though it's an updated design of the costume. Because even though it is the Dissidia version, it's still FF6. Ultimately, it would be up to the people deciding on the characters, but that's just how I see it.

I guess so. O:
I just thought the game date was more important than the character. But either way I'll enter and see where I end up being classified as.

Aderyn
01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Just submitted my application. I'm going for Old School with my Mad Hatter cosplay. (The 1992 Batman version)

Tigress
01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
If you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that I had the same question about Kefka, since FF6 was released before the cut-off in Japan, but after the cut-off in the US. They are going by Japanese publishing dates, so FF6 juuuuuuuuuuust makes into the old school camp.

(Goes back to freaking out because she hasn't had time to start on Kefka yet!)

Chasie
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
If you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that I had the same question about Kefka, since FF6 was released before the cut-off in Japan, but after the cut-off in the US. They are going by Japanese publishing dates, so FF6 juuuuuuuuuuust makes into the old school camp.

(Goes back to freaking out because she hasn't had time to start on Kefka yet!)

Keffffffka!!! <3
Oh please please finish before AZ. :angel: -prays-

Grav
01-26-2010, 09:30 PM
We have generally been held early Saturday Afternoon so not to interfere with anything involving the Masquerade. In fact TeddyBomber and I have been in the Masquerade though that was very hectic with all of the prep work involved in Cosplay chess. (We have to wake up very early to get those balloons for you guys)

We've had problems with attack props in the past so Teddy Bomber and I tend to take it on a case by case basis erring on the side of caution.

Keep in mind even a loaf of bread can hurt if swung hard. (this happened at our Katsucon cosplay chess match. Yakitate Japan got a little too enthusiastic.)

Tigress
01-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Keffffffka!!! <3
Oh please please finish before AZ. :angel: -prays-

I just went full-time at my "real" job. So that's eating into my sewing time. (But more moneys means I get out of debt faster.) I'm strictly enforcing my deadline this year (March 31st or it's not happening for AZ). I was dumb enough to allow a few people to get their deposits in after the deadline (since they requested before it) and stressed myself out getting their stuff done along with Rainbow Brite and covering everyone's shifts at the "real" job. Not doing that again!

Rest assured, Kefka WILL happen. Now that I have something resembling a steady schedule, I shouldn't have a problem. And more money means I can buy the rest of the stuff I need for it. (Funnily enough, the opening song on the FF6 soundtrack is playing on my laptop now! :crylaugh: )

liivingdeadgirl
01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I applied but like I said, I won't know if I can actually do it until they announce the time it will be. ^_^

Chasie
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I just went full-time at my "real" job. So that's eating into my sewing time. (But more moneys means I get out of debt faster.) I'm strictly enforcing my deadline this year (March 31st or it's not happening for AZ). I was dumb enough to allow a few people to get their deposits in after the deadline (since they requested before it) and stressed myself out getting their stuff done along with Rainbow Brite and covering everyone's shifts at the "real" job. Not doing that again!

Rest assured, Kefka WILL happen. Now that I have something resembling a steady schedule, I shouldn't have a problem. And more money means I can buy the rest of the stuff I need for it. (Funnily enough, the opening song on the FF6 soundtrack is playing on my laptop now! :crylaugh: )
Wow and all I have to deal with is senior year. D: That sounds stressful. I couldn't imagine working on cosplay for anyone else, it's hard enough just to throw a costume together for myself.
:D But knowing that Kefka will be at the con will definitely decrease personal procrastinations. whoooo!!!
Oy. I still haven't finished FF6. :crylaugh: I love the PS1 opening. <3

Tigress
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow and all I have to deal with is senior year. D: That sounds stressful. I couldn't imagine working on cosplay for anyone else, it's hard enough just to throw a costume together for myself.

I love it! It means that I can write off any expenses related to cosplay (fabric, supply runs using my car, convention expenses, utilities, rent/mortgage, etc.) and get a bigger tax return. I make money doing what I love and hopefully one day can quit my "real" job and be fully self-employed. And I get to see people run around in the costumes I made, which is the best part of it.

I tend to put a lot of stuff on my plate anyway. Even in high school and college I was always busy with classes, extra-curriculars like choir/voice lessons and clubs, tae kwon do (I'm training for my 3rd dan now!) and volunteer work at either church or the rescue mission.

Chasie
02-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I love it! It means that I can write off any expenses related to cosplay (fabric, supply runs using my car, convention expenses, utilities, rent/mortgage, etc.) and get a bigger tax return. I make money doing what I love and hopefully one day can quit my "real" job and be fully self-employed. And I get to see people run around in the costumes I made, which is the best part of it.

I tend to put a lot of stuff on my plate anyway. Even in high school and college I was always busy with classes, extra-curriculars like choir/voice lessons and clubs, tae kwon do (I'm training for my 3rd dan now!) and volunteer work at either church or the rescue mission.
:D well then that DOES sound fun. Well...not the making the costumes part...everything else. (cause honestly, I find sewing extremely difficult) But being so busy is definitely fun. I wish I would have taken more extra-curriculars. D: There's always college though.

Kuro Tsuki Hime
02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Any Sailor Moon Character's Signed up yet? My laptop is being spazzy and won't let me look through the pages. ~.~

Zaverxi
02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
We've had problems with attack props in the past so Teddy Bomber and I tend to take it on a case by case basis erring on the side of caution.

Keep in mind even a loaf of bread can hurt if swung hard. (this happened at our Katsucon cosplay chess match. Yakitate Japan got a little too enthusiastic.)

Well I am a short, kinda wimpy girl, and throw accordingly. It's a small foam head with parachute material attached to the end, and shouldn't hurt at all. I'll show it ahead of time to see if it's ok, if I get accepted.

teddybomber005
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Any Sailor Moon Character's Signed up yet? My laptop is being spazzy and won't let me look through the pages. ~.~

No one has applied as Sailor Moon and we need one b/c she awesome old school!

teddybomber005
02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
So AZ is a few Mouths away and we are still taking applications!!!! We will be taking them until the end of April!! So go ahead and start sending them in!!!!!! Oddly enough we have few new school people signing up. So if your new school send it in!!! We have a great stuff planned for this year its going to be great!!!

Aderyn
02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
I was wondering if you had gotten my application? I don't know if the list has been updated or not and I never heard back from anyone after I sent it in. I was just checking.

teddybomber005
02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I was wondering if you had gotten my application? I don't know if the list has been updated or not and I never heard back from anyone after I sent it in. I was just checking.

I dont think I did. Just send it once more

Aderyn
02-18-2010, 01:45 AM
I dont think I did. Just send it once more

I just sent it again. Hopefully this time it'll get there. :)

Kaicyios
03-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I submitted my application for this year. I look forward to the festivities!

*Marzipan*
03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I resent mine again from December. Please let me know if you do not get it! :D

teddybomber005
03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
UPDATE TIME!!!

So chess will be on Saturday at noon until 2 pm. This time does includes set up time for the bored. But right now I am working out a time a hour or 30 min before that time for all the players to meet up for check in and getting ready for the match. That will happen in a different room. This is for us to try to start on time and end on time.

I will still be taking apps until the 1st of May then I will not be taking anymore. People should be looking for a email sometime the following weekend on rather or not you are in. I will be only sending email to people who go in to chess. I also will be posting a list here and on the AZ forum as well so you can look there as well.

There will also be 8 at con sign up slots open as well. 4 for old school and 4 for new school.

Zipchan
04-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Just wanted to post and say that I'll be sending my application along shortly; I just need to choose which costume I'd rather use in chess. XD; I have it narrowed down to two possibilities: Phillip from Kamen Rider W, or Nice Holystone from Baccano!, though I may go with Nice since she's more recognizable. That, and you can't go wrong with cherry bombs. XD

blueskysunday
04-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Just wanted to post and say that I'll be sending my application along shortly; I just need to choose which costume I'd rather use in chess. XD; I have it narrowed down to two possibilities: Phillip from Kamen Rider W, or Nice Holystone from Baccano!, though I may go with Nice since she's more recognizable. That, and you can't go wrong with cherry bombs. XD
My vote goes for Nice! I'll be Firo Saturday night, but not for chess. But you should do it because Baccano! is awesome and needs more love.

Zipchan
04-28-2010, 03:04 AM
My vote goes for Nice! I'll be Firo Saturday night, but not for chess. But you should do it because Baccano! is awesome and needs more love.Oh sweet, a Firo! ^o^ I'll keep my eye out for you.

...And no pun intended there. (You know, since Nice is missing an eye? Ahahahahah-- I should stop while I'm ahead.)

djkidna
04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey teddybomber, just in case you hadn't noticed, I changed my username from Hibiki-dono to djkidna, which is my more recognized username, so if you need to make note of the change, please do so.

FweePockyGirl
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm so bad about ignoring the message boards until the month before con >.<

I submitted my entry with Red Whirlwind! RomeoxJuliet is pretty dang new :-) Cosplay Chess is one of those things that is so awesome I would love to be a part of it, even if I were to get knocked out first. Lol.

If I don't make it in I am still very excited about seeing this years battle!! It is always a blast and one of the only things I plan on going to every year :-)

*Marzipan*
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Teddybomber, would you please update the list of people you have received emails from? I have sent two and would appreciate knowing if you got it or not.

Thanks.

teddybomber005
05-02-2010, 01:11 AM
alright everyone this will be the last week for sign ups before at con sign up. I will be posting the list next Saturday so send me emails before friday.

Shaylex
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Gah.... I pray that I get in. This will be my one way ticket (hopefully) of getting to Animazement period. Plus I really wanna play! ToT

*Marzipan*
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Teddybomber, would you please update the list of people you have received emails from? I have sent two and would appreciate knowing if you got it or not.

Thanks.

Please? With sugar and sprinkles and extra politeness on top?:dunce:

Grav
05-11-2010, 11:43 PM
So crunch time has arrived.

Since I know Teddybomber is currently knee deep in projects for her final semester at SCAD we'll be wading through the remained of the applications and finalizing the list this weekend.

E-mail is pretty awesome so if you didn't get an error message I assure you we got your application. We also check the spam folder just in case.

If you did not get in we do reserve several spots for at con sign up. We also have a few no-shows/ something came up folks every year. If I find out before con where the sign up table will be located I will post it here. If not it should be pretty easy to find. Just check with Con ops.

Finally I hope everyone comes out to watch and invites their friends. It is always a fun show for everyone. Teddybomber and I have always tried to make it theatrical and entertaining, as have all our participants. This year will be no different.

For those who have seen our chess matches before, Chris, better known as Kaji will be returning to defend his title as chess master... challenged by a mysterious new comer. (oh snap)

Teddy bomber and the Mitchbot minions will see you at Animazement cosplay chess 2010!

*Marzipan*
05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Thank you Gray for the clarification. :D Last year though, my application was not received and no email error message on my part. Sooo I'm a little paranoid this year. Sorry! ^^; Thanks so much for the hard work you two are putting in on this event!

Tigress
05-14-2010, 05:36 AM
So chess will be on Saturday at noon until 2 pm. This time does includes set up time for the bored. But right now I am working out a time a hour or 30 min before that time for all the players to meet up for check in and getting ready for the match. That will happen in a different room. This is for us to try to start on time and end on time.

Quick question: The pre-match meeting may possibly overlap with the Masquerade meeting on Saturday morning. If someone is participating in both the Masquerade and cosplay chess and is running a few minutes late due to being caught up in the pre-Masq meeting, is that okay (as long as they let you know)?

I don't think this will be an issue (since those attending the Friday informational meeting will get first dibs and will probably be the first ones there for roll call Saturday morning), but it's something that I just noticed.

teddybomber005
05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Quick question: The pre-match meeting may possibly overlap with the Masquerade meeting on Saturday morning. If someone is participating in both the Masquerade and cosplay chess and is running a few minutes late due to being caught up in the pre-Masq meeting, is that okay (as long as they let you know)?

I don't think this will be an issue (since those attending the Friday informational meeting will get first dibs and will probably be the first ones there for roll call Saturday morning), but it's something that I just noticed.

You will need to let us know if you are going to the masquerade meeting so we know to wait for you. I would saw if you are no there at 11:20 then you might lose spot. We just want to know is what it comes down to.

teddybomber005
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Here is the New School sign up. Old school will be posted later tonight. And if you see your name here email me to confirm your spot so it isn't taken by someone else.

Unfortunately we can't use everyone however there is still a chance for you to get in. Come to at con sign up which will be at karaoke sign ups on Friday, more info about at con sign ups will be posted at a later date.

New School

*1.) tmfiman as Holo from Spice and Wolf
*2.) Hiryuu as Wii-Tan From WII
*3.) liivingdeadgirl as England From Hetalia: Axis Powers
*4.) Scryed82 as Father Abel Nightroad From Trinity Blood
*5.) LinkInSpirit as Link The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
*6.) Gungrave112985 as Auron From Final Fantasy X
*7.) Sapharia and CardcaptorKiki as Kagamine Rin and Ren From Vocaloid 02
*8.) Dark Butler as Walter from Hellsing
*9.) Briggs as Subaru from .hack//sign
*10.) Beadle as Kamen Rider from Kamen Rider Decade
*11.) Bishie as Red Whirlwind/Odin/Juliet from RomeoxJuliet
*12.) ItachiElric as Euphemia Li Britannia from Code Geass
*13.) At Con Sign up
*14.) At Con Sign up
*15.) At Con Sign up
*16.) At Con Sign up
*=confirmed

teddybomber005
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Here is the old school List:

Unfortunately we can't use everyone however there is still a chance for you to get in. Come to at con sign up which will be at karaoke sign ups on Friday, more info about at con sign ups will be posted at a later date.

Old School:
*1.) XxEveillexX as Tasuki From Fushigi Yuugi
*2.) heartlesshalo As Cale From Ronin Warriors
*3.)Kaicyios as Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho
*4.) BlindCalliope As Gin Yu Yu Hakusho
*5.) BlackCatGodess as White Mage From Final Fantasy
*6.) Hibiki-dono As Black Mage From Final Fantasy
*7.) Fory-san Asuma Shinohara From Patlabor: The Mobile Police"
*8.) Kuro_Tsuki_Hime as Princess Serenity from Sailor Moon
*9.) Dorrance as Gendo from Eva
*10.) sortersupre Amuro Ray from zeta gundam
*11.) Aurora as Sailor V From Codename Sailor V and Sailor Moon
*12.) At Con Sign Up
*13.) At Con Sign up
*14.) At Con Sign up
*15.) At Con Sign up
*16.) At Con Sign up
*=confirmed

tmfirman
05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
YAY!! I am looking forward to the match! ^_^

LinkInSpirit
05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Woot! This will be fun! I'm going to be playing against my boyfriend(Kaicyios)! XD

Kaicyios
05-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Woot! This will be fun! I'm going to be playing against my boyfriend(Kaicyios)! XD

I lead my team to victory last year. I look forward to blasting your fayce away with the awesomeness of old school. Just don't take away my xbox privileges when you lose.

LinkInSpirit
05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Pfffttt, baby you got another thing coming! ^_^

Kaicyios
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Pfffttt, baby you got another thing coming! ^_^

Yes, XBOX time.

Vampey
05-16-2010, 11:40 PM
If you guys still have spots open at the con, I'll sign up then. (Cause I think it's too late for me to e-mail you guys). I'm still really trying to see if I can make the final accessories I need for the costume, otherwise, I'll probably wing it if I do get into chess.

Definitely, New School.

Kuro_Tsuki_Hime
05-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Alright! I can't wait until the Match! Old school all the way! >3

XxEveillexX
05-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Old School FTW! Now to finish up Tasuki. XD

Zipchan
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Aww man, didn't make it in this time. =( Oh well, I can always try for one of the at-con spots.

liivingdeadgirl
05-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I am very much looking forward to this. Gotta fix my sword though! I broked it at Katsu. D:

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
'ey Urameshi! Looks like we're on t'e same side t'is time.

Kaicyios
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
'ey Urameshi! Looks like we're on t'e same side t'is time.

Why do I have to work with Jin?! He always smells of Baileys and Lucky Charms.

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Why do I have to work with Jin?! He always smells of Baileys and Lucky Charms.

Ah, an' ye always smell so lov'ly yerself. :3

Kaicyios
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Ah, an' ye always smell so lov'ly yerself. :3

I have an excuse. I ooze manliness and win! You look like some kind of floating Troll Doll.

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I have an excuse. I ooze manliness and win! You look like some kind of floating Troll Doll.

Ye might wan' te get tha' checked out, Urameshi. Could be 'azardous te yer 'ealth. Ah, Troll, Goblin, close enough. Not expectin' ye te know the diff'rence anyway.

Kaicyios
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I know plenty of stuff! Like punchin', kickin', and how to fudge stuff up! I don't need no 'Rithmatic' when I have guns like these!

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Fudge ye say? Fudge is quite delicious. Ye'll 'ave te give me mum the recipe.

Kaicyios
05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
She'd probably screw up the recipe anyway. There's just too much GINGER being used.

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Ye Japanese do love ye some ginger, don't ye? ;)

Kaicyios
05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
The only thing I love is kicking mofos in the teeth!

BlindCalliope
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Careful, Urameshi. T'ey may bite off yer foot. 8D

Okay. I'mma stop spamming this thread now. XD I'm excited you guys! Now to find where I stashed most of Jin...

GreatSG
05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey there folks, one of the Mitchbot Minions here who is working the chess event.

If you didn't get into the match list, do not fear, we have eight spots (four on each side) available at con for you to sign up for on Friday. We're working on getting our place and table figured out, but we'll probably have a sign letting you know where we are.

Sign up at con is simple, just come sign up and show us the costume you plan to wear for the match by means of either wearing it or bringing a picture if possible. I plan to take photos of all the entrants who sign up so we can figure out how to fill the spots best.

Just remember, even if you don't get in, there is always the chance you can the day of the match, every year we always have a couple of sign ups who never show up in time and we always try to have replacements on stand-by.

If you know someone in the match, plan with them to see if you can work it out to be a summon to help them in their potential attack during the match (or help cart them off when they're killed)

Hope to see you all at the match!

Grav
05-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Just to really bring this home. You HAVE to attend the pre-match meeting. If the masquerade meeting is causing overlap, send a friend over, something. We go over the rules, procedure, assign your piece, everything, at the meeting. This event really does send us in every direction so we can't afford to be flexible on this since we were given a very tight time slot for the match.

I'm sure this year will be incredible, we're already having some in character taunting thanks to Jin (who smells of gin) and Urameshi (who smells of the middle school boy's locker room).

Those who think about how to taunt, kill, main, and die, tend to have the most fun because they aren't caught standing there when someone takes a stab at them.

liivingdeadgirl
05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
And if you're IN the cosplay (as I am going to be) they only require one representative from your group at the meeting on saturday. So just let your group know you have to leave early to head over to cosplay chess if you're not out already. ^_^

BlindCalliope
05-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Jin (who smells of gin) and Urameshi (who smells of the middle school boy's locker room).

Oi! Gin is great, I'll 'ave ye know!

Unfortunate fer ye, though, Urameshi. May want te invest in some cologne.

Oh lordie. We've already been planning this stuff.... Kinda glad Kai's on my side though. Never done this before, and he's pretty experienced... I'm sure it's not too terribly hard. Again, I am pretty excited. XD

Tigress
05-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Bah, first year that I didn't get in. Actually a blessing in disguise because it frees up my morning/early afternoon somewhat and allows me to fulfill someone's dema... er, request to pose for a private shoot in the morning.

If you're in a pinch, I'll gladly step up to help, but I don't think you'll need it. >^_^<

FweePockyGirl
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I am doing the cosplay sign up and am the only one in my group. I just hope it only takes an hour like normal and then no worries :-)

On another note, I am all about some old school... just happen to be doing only new school costumes this year!

Heartless Halo
05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
just hope I get my armor done. .. if I don't Teddy is gonna kill me ;_;

well the next time I see her haha

Zaverxi
05-20-2010, 12:36 AM
You fools are just lucky that I didn't get in, since if that happened, the entire other team would be destroyed in one hit, and where's the fun in that?

...Urameshi sucks. :untrust:

Kaicyios
05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
You fools are just lucky that I didn't get in, since if that happened, the entire other team would be destroyed in one hit, and where's the fun in that?

...Urameshi sucks. :untrust:

Pcht. Man, I'll fold you up and put you in my pocket. Go comb your hair, Hiei.

Tigress
05-20-2010, 02:55 AM
I am doing the cosplay sign up and am the only one in my group. I just hope it only takes an hour like normal and then no worries :-)

Ditto here. Just to make sure I get to my shoot in time, I'm getting up early to at least get my "undergarments" and make-up on (which takes up the most time, since I have to cover my face, neck and ears and then paint lines around my eyes and lips) before the meeting. The rest I'll put on after I get out and back to my hotel room.

Ugh, I'm going to be wearing Kefka (and that make-up) ALL DAY on Saturday! Why am I doing this to myself again?

Oh, yeah. 'Cuz I'm evil! Fwehehehehehehe! :D

FweePockyGirl
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Ditto here. Just to make sure I get to my shoot in time, I'm getting up early to at least get my "undergarments" and make-up on (which takes up the most time, since I have to cover my face, neck and ears and then paint lines around my eyes and lips) before the meeting. The rest I'll put on after I get out and back to my hotel room.

Ugh, I'm going to be wearing Kefka (and that make-up) ALL DAY on Saturday! Why am I doing this to myself again?

Oh, yeah. 'Cuz I'm evil! Fwehehehehehehe! :D

Gyah I feel bad for you. I get out of wearing make-up thanks to a mask, but the mask is quite stifling.

However we are severely OT. >.<

Zaverxi
05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Pcht. Man, I'll fold you up and put you in my pocket. Go comb your hair, Hiei.

You can TRY. You -will- fail.

And you're not one to talk about hair. Ever heard of a shower?

BlindCalliope
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
HIEI. Join us! You can be one of our friends to call in for an attack, or to tote us off if we die! MOAR HAKUSHO PLZ

Grav
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Believe me I understand about trying to be in a cosplay skit and in cosplay chess. Try being in a skit and running cosplay chess. Thankfully I can send a minion. If you are the only person in your skit and the meeting is running long send a friend...something. I refuse to believe anyone goes to an anime convention without any friends. That and I highly doubt that there will be significant overlap.

For those who do not frequent the animazement site's forum, we are planning on having a minion video tape the match this year. I'll bribe them to post it on youtube. This should give a much less obstructed view and audio for the match.

Kaicyios
05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
HIEI. Join us! You can be one of our friends to call in for an attack, or to tote us off if we die! MOAR HAKUSHO PLZ

I'm not dying again. Eff that. I draw the line at 3.

Yes! MOAR Hakusho! MOAR Old School! MOAR win!

Also, showers are for ladies. Consider my funk a part of my arsenal.

Zaverxi
05-21-2010, 04:47 PM
You say this like you could keep me away.

I'll be there, and I'll be sexier than both of you. I'll prove you don't need to be a shemale like Kurama to attract the ladies.

Kaicyios
05-22-2010, 12:58 PM
You say this like you could keep me away.

I'll be there, and I'll be sexier than both of you. I'll prove you don't need to be a shemale like Kurama to attract the ladies.

I don't even like girls! It interferes with my mofo teeth kicking.

LinkInSpirit
05-22-2010, 01:00 PM
^ You have a thing for Link. I'll have to use my Hylian sexiness to distract you. XD

Kaicyios
05-22-2010, 01:02 PM
^ You have a thing for Link. I'll have to use my Hylian sexiness to distract you. XD

As if. I'm not into that whole "Lord of the Rings" thing. Don't you have to go drop a hobbit in a volcano or something, New School?

LinkInSpirit
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't lie. You live with me, I know these things. ;) You think my ears are hot. XD

Kaicyios
05-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, and there is a bomb attached to the back of your shield. Make sure you stand close to your king. Those two statements are related.

The only way I'll think your ears are hot is if I stick them in the microwave. I'm going to go do that right now.

LinkInSpirit
05-22-2010, 01:08 PM
What do you speak of? They are attached to my head, you can't do that. XD

You're just being kinky. ^^

Kaicyios
05-22-2010, 01:12 PM
What do you speak of? They are attached to my head, you can't do that. XD

You're just being kinky. ^^

Not anymore. *microwaves*

Old School: 1 / New School: -1

LinkInSpirit
05-22-2010, 01:28 PM
XD

cute.

Zaverxi
05-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Link can't even decide what he looks like, he's pretty much a walking identity crisis who never ever says anything, aside from screaming when he falls off a cliff.

BlindCalliope
05-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Oi, don' even get me started on t'e elves! 8|

(Speaking of which, Jess, do you have an extra set of ears I can borrow? I can't seem to find mine. ;_; )

LinkInSpirit
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I do have an extra set, I'll be sure and bring 'em. ^^

FweePockyGirl
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Haha I can't wait to hang out with you crazy people.

GO NEW SCHOOL

(okay not really... I love 80's anime... I just happen to only have new school costumes this year....)

Kaicyios
05-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Haha I can't wait to hang out with you crazy people.

GO NEW SCHOOL

(okay not really... I love 80's anime... I just happen to only have new school costumes this year....)

You so should have been old school. I remember you way back from Animazement 2003 singing Candy Girl by Smile.DK. You can't get much more old school than that.

XxEveillexX
05-27-2010, 12:13 AM
OMG so I totally made Tasuki in like a week. And it's actually not that bad. Still going to be up all night finishing him, but I cannot tell you how SUPAH EXCITED I am for this.

We are going to have some serious shenanigans on the Old School side.

It's gonna be EPIC.

Kaicyios
05-27-2010, 02:03 AM
OMG so I totally made Tasuki in like a week. And it's actually not that bad. Still going to be up all night finishing him, but I cannot tell you how SUPAH EXCITED I am for this.

We are going to have some serious shenanigans on the Old School side.

It's gonna be EPIC.

That we are! Good luck on Tasuki. Keep at it! =D

LinkInSpirit
05-27-2010, 02:38 AM
New school FTW! ^^

tmfirman
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Definitely new school FTW!! ^_^

Zaverxi
05-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Aw man, Cosplay Chess was awesome! I have a few videos of it but if someone has the whole thing it'd be great.

I was so thrilled to be a part of it even if I wasn't a piece actually on the board. :)

Maybe next year!

...hehehe. Dragon of the Darkness Flame went off perfectly. ^_^

Grav
05-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you everyone who attended and participated in Cosplay chess this year. We've got the numbers and we broke 900 audience members!

While there were some off and on technical difficulties with the microphone and unfortunately the technical staff we were promised never showed up to film the match for the screens, we had another excellent year. We had a minion filming the match from beside the chess masters. As soon as he recovers and we bribe him to post it on youtube, I'll copy the link here.

Most of those who participated in the match know what we were in control of and what we had to work with. I really would love to hear from you on what we did well and where we can improve things.

Audience, we'd love to know if you enjoyed the match, what were your favorite parts, what were some things you would like to see happen, etc.

I'd like to thank all of the participants, my friends, and volunteers that assisted in the set up and transport of 45 cosplayers up three levels. We could not have run things smoothly without you, and without you cosplayers there would be no show. You guys were great.

Finally we are starting to think about Animazment 2011's theme! So far we have...

Japan vs. The rest of the Universe.

Characters and items from Japan face down the best the rest of the universe can offer.

Family Feud

Character look alikes ( Heero Yuy vs Sauske Sagara for example) relatives (The Hitachin twins), lovers (Utena vs Anthy), scources by the same creator (Inu yasha vs Ranma of any of the final fansays vs each other) face down and work out their families' dirty laundry on stage.

Geeks vs. Jocks

Is your character thoughtful or a man/woman/whatever of action? The final show down of brawn vs. brains.

Beauty vs the beast

Anime is littered with pretty boys and lovely women... and also the bizarre things that go bump in the night. Will a winning smile be enough to overcome vicious monsters and mad doctors and everything in between?

Voice your opinion on what you want to see next year at AZ cosplay chess.

Zaverxi
05-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I say Beauty and Beast since I have an awesome idea for next year that falls into that category. :3 (/selfish) :D

Vampey
05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
If you guys do Family Feud next year, I'm sure tmfirman and I can do the Hitachiin Twins!

BlindCalliope
05-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Grav, first off I want to thank you and your staff for pulling off such a fun event! I know it takes a lot of hard work and planning, and I also know that TeddyBomber couldn't attend because of graduation, but I thank them as well! This was so much fun, and I would LOVE to do it again next year!

That being said, I'm torn between Beauty and the Beast and Family Feud.

Grav
05-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Grav, first off I want to thank you and your staff for pulling off such a fun event! I know it takes a lot of hard work and planning, and I also know that TeddyBomber couldn't attend because of graduation, but I thank them as well! This was so much fun, and I would LOVE to do it again next year!

That being said, I'm torn between Beauty and the Beast and Family Feud.

Thanks. ^_^

Every year we get bigger, but every year we manage to solve all the problems and pull it off. However none of that would be possible without all you awesome cosplayers. Hopefully due to our AMAZING turnout of over 900 audience members we will be firmly slated as an event again next year allowing us a little extra back-up from the convention staff.

It is always good to know that all the hard work helps to really make a lot of people's con experience a while lot better.

XxEveillexX
05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
I'd like to throw out the theme idea of Living vs. Dead (i.e. any characters that die in a series vs those that live.)

Also Heroes vs. Sidekicks as another one. =P

Whatever the theme, I'm sure to find something to fit it.

Kaicyios
05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd like to throw out the theme idea of Living vs. Dead (i.e. any characters that die in a series vs those that live.)

Also Heroes vs. Sidekicks as another one. =P

Whatever the theme, I'm sure to find something to fit it.

Yes! I like both of those ideas much better. They are way much more defined. Also I think it would be funny to represent a team full of spoilers (dead) XD. Sidekicks would be really funny too. I'm surprised you didn't recommend Gingers vs Everything Else XD

I had a blast again this year! I always have a lot of fun with you guys! I wish I could have stayed long enough to taunt more, but the loud people do tend to be a target. XD If you guys ever need help I'd be more than willing to help any way I can. You guys were great at getting everything together and keeping things moving. I hope to be a part of the hilarity next year. Just as long as some people don't make the hotel room smell of Gin again.

BlindCalliope
05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Go Team Ginger

LinkInSpirit
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I had a ton of fun! ^_^ Everything was awesome and I met a lot of great people!

As for the theme next time, I love that Living VS Dead idea! The only thing would be the spoilers, but who cares right? XD

I'll throw out a theme idea: Future VS Past
An example being something like Future= Evangelion, Gundam, Metroid
Past= Kenshin, Fushigi Yuugi, Assassin's Creed

Zaverxi
05-31-2010, 11:18 PM
If you guys do Family Feud next year, I'm sure tmfirman and I can do the Hitachiin Twins!

And of course, you'll have to stage a food fight where you throw everything within range at each other, including small children/Honey? XD

Ulqorimiforever
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
heres an idea. Its a simple idea but it could be tons of fun plus I always wanted to know who would win.

Battle of the Sexes. Anime/Game females vs. Anime/Game Males. Who is superior?!

Hiryuu
06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Graaaaav I love you <3

I had uber fun this year. My first ever chess! I was the Xbox Tan :D

I second the notion of a living vs dead. Though, yes spoilers, I think it would be alot of fun and really make a distinction between the two factions.

Grav
06-01-2010, 09:03 AM
^__^ Hiryuu. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your costume was great for my hosting duties. In hindsight I kind wish someone had cosplayed an atari for the old school side.

__________________________________________________ _

For those who have not been with us or have forgotten, in the past we have done...

Good vs. Evil
Girls vs. boys battle of the sexes
Video games vs. Anime
Creepy vs. Cute
Old School vs. New School

We have fun coming up with themes but we always have to keep in mind we have to find enough cosplayers who are interested in being in the match to fill both sides without using the same character twice or having too many from a single source. Every year one side fills up much easier than the other. We had an amazingly difficult time getting enough girl characters for example. Probably since more than half of the female cosplayers were cosplaying boys, though we did get one boy who was cosplaying a girl.

Thus we try to keep the theme open to as many cosplays as possible while also hopefully creating a good starting point for some serious taunting.

Hiryuu
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I wish they had too >< ultimate battlesssss...

liivingdeadgirl
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I had a blast again this year! A huge thanks to the organizers for putting on such a great event! I wish I would have gotten an attack in before I bit the dust, as I had ridiculous attacks planned, but that's the way it goes! I blame Gypsy. XD lol

I like the living v dead, beauty v the beast ideas. XD

teddybomber005
06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone for making chess a huge success this year!!! Sorry that I could not make it this ever over graduation this year, but I will be sure to make sure I will be there next year!!!

Thanks to Grav for taking up my torch this year with the running of chess at the con this year. I know it was a huge undertaking but you pulled it off well!!!

But next year will be bigger and Better!!

Thanks once more to everyone who made the battle of New school Vs old school a huge success!!!

Hope to see everyone next year!

teddybomber005
06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
we have a facebook page now!!! Become our friend!!! You can find us under Cosplay Chess Animazement!!!

Kaicyios
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks everyone for making chess a huge success this year!!! Sorry that I could not make it this ever over graduation this year, but I will be sure to make sure I will be there next year!!!

Thanks to Grav for taking up my torch this year with the running of chess at the con this year. I know it was a huge undertaking but you pulled it off well!!!

But next year will be bigger and Better!!

Thanks once more to everyone who made the battle of New school Vs old school a huge success!!!

Hope to see everyone next year!

We missed you this year Teddy Bomber! It was a blast as always.

I was thinking about the theme and realized something. I love the living vs dead idea as much as I loved the old school vs new school idea. However, old school vs new school wasn't much to work with on stage other than "you're old, you're young". I had to result a lot to individual taunts.

Whereas originally I wasn't fond or too excited about the cute vs creepy premise in 2009, but when it started I realized there was so much to work with on a whole. So, just throwing that out there.

XxEveillexX
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
heres an idea. Its a simple idea but it could be tons of fun plus I always wanted to know who would win.

Battle of the Sexes. Anime/Game females vs. Anime/Game Males. Who is superior?!

Boys v Girls has already been done in the past.

I have to say that chess this year was a blast! Can't wait for next year.

And I'm glad people like the living v dead idea. I think it'd be kinda hilarious. ^-^

Vampey
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Do living vs dead! I'll sign up right now as a L4D2 Hunter!

Heartless Halo
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I gots to admit I like the future vs Past cosplay but it might be to restrictive haha

but it was sooooo much funnnnnnn! cept sitting there for an hour before I got to move XD

XxEveillexX
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Do living vs dead! I'll sign up right now as a L4D2 Hunter!

Technically zombies are undead.

And for the Living v Dead theme its. Characters that live through a series against characters that die in a series.

djkidna
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
You know, I was all for doing Beauty vs Beast, but one person in the other forums mentioned, it really is rather close to Cute vs Creepy. So now I'm torn. Hmm

Maybe Japanese vs Everyone Else would work. Maybe just call it East vs West
But then that would be rather funny if we had Link and Zelda on the East side and Avatar characters on the West side lol.

Vampey
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Technically zombies are undead.

And for the Living v Dead theme its. Characters that live through a series against characters that die in a series.

You and your logic D:

That just means I could be on either side?

Bleh. Either way I have a cosplay for that theme... I just have to finish getting it repaired.

liivingdeadgirl
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
While I love the living v. dead idea (and I also agree now that I think about it that beauty v the beast is close to cute v. creepy) wouldn't putting characters on the dead side be a huge spoiler to people who might not have finished a series? O.o Just a thought.

FweePockyGirl
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I posted this on the actual AZ forums but got no love for it so I am posting it here :-D

My theme idea : obscure vs popular. This inspired from the fact that I WAS NOT RED MAGE XD Why would red mage be on new school, hmmmmmm? Anyway but the guidelines would be that popular would be like main characters of mainstream anime/games/manga (eg Sailor moon, Naruto, Goku, Lelouch, Sakura) and then obscure either be from stuff no one has ever heard of (like my Aqua Knight costume that is in the works :-D) or like the tiniest side characters (such as random classmate A from any school anime).

Okay off that note..... I HAD A BLAST! OMG I want to huggle everyone who participated in Cosplay Chess with me :-D It was my favorite part of con and I hope hope hope I can maybe get a spot next year. (How much candy does it take to bribe an Indy....)

Everyone should friend me on facebook too! :-D (You can find my real name from the xosplay chess group)

Grav
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
My theme idea : obscure vs popular. This inspired from the fact that I WAS NOT RED MAGE XD Why would red mage be on new school, hmmmmmm? Anyway but the guidelines would be that popular would be like main characters of mainstream anime/games/manga (eg Sailor moon, Naruto, Goku, Lelouch, Sakura) and then obscure either be from stuff no one has ever heard of (like my Aqua Knight costume that is in the works :-D) or like the tiniest side characters (such as random classmate A from any school anime).

Okay off that note..... I HAD A BLAST! OMG I want to huggle everyone who participated in Cosplay Chess with me :-D It was my favorite part of con and I hope hope hope I can maybe get a spot next year. (How much candy does it take to bribe an Indy....)

The tough part with that is finding enough cosplayers in obscure enough costumes that want to be part of cosplay chess, without any repeats. Every year we look at what people are cosplaying and could come up with a dozen themes if we could just use anyone but not everyone who cosplays wants to be part of any of the events. It is admittedly a lot of fun to just sit back and watch.

Sadly I cannot accept bribes. That and I'm no longer allowed to have candy or sweets anymore....or caffeine...

chevron694
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
MY bad everyone

Zaverxi
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
How about, instead of Living vs. Dead, we have Human vs. Nonhuman?

There's PLENTY of choices for both.