PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill cosplay?

VioletFairy
10-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Am I the only one here who alters(read: massacres and butchers) secondhand clothes for costumes? As much as I'd love to make my own costumes from scratch, I just don't have the time and sometimes, the money, necessary. Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the subject...please don't hurt me!

Vi

Kamui Motoaki
10-02-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by VioletFairy
Am I the only one here who alters(read: massacres and butchers) secondhand clothes for costumes? As much as I'd love to make my own costumes from scratch, I just don't have the time and sometimes, the money, necessary. Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the subject...please don't hurt me!

Vi

WORD!!!
Good Will
is my store!!!
(name is will)
LoL
i do that too. . now and then. . more or less find stuff and screw it up. . i'm proud to be a ghetto cosplayer. .^_^

Sami
10-02-2002, 11:55 PM
Haha, my first costume (Misao from RK) was totally butchered from an old martial arts uniform. ^_^ I chopped it and dyed it and hacked it and mangled it.. well, maybe not that bad, but it came out pretty decent for a first try. ^^; Otherwise, I usually do about half and half for the sewing and gathering.

Celine
10-02-2002, 11:55 PM
Oh yes! If you can find an appropriate item and modify it, or use it somehow in your cosplay, that is awesome. I wish I lived closer to a secondhand shop like Goodwill, actually. It's also a great place to pick up things like cheap belts for Lulu costumes and stuff. Sometimes you can find the weirdest shoes or coolest jackets and stuff. I think it's an excellent cosplay resource, especially for people on a budget. ^_^

krystal1314
10-03-2002, 12:11 AM
*loves Salvation Army* lol
It's great how you can find some of your cosplay needs there for under $5 ^^

Irvy
10-03-2002, 12:14 AM
Good Will all the way! I found both of my Irvine jacket's at that place and I even got my gloes from a lost and found, lol. When every penny is a prisoner, buying fabric and what not can be expensive.

Jinx
10-03-2002, 12:40 AM
If I think I can find pieces from Goodwill, then by all means I'll go find it. But if it's a costume (like Honey) where I know I won't find anything that'll work, I just straight go and sew it.

I'm really really picky with my costume pieces. o.o

Rosiel
10-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Hmm... I'm not too fond of the concept of secondhand anything, especially clothes (although I manage to deal with secondhand manga because they feel new and don't have the usual "secondhand paper" smell). So I end up making everything from scratch, or buying in stores what I can (generally pants and gloves).

KuroBara
10-03-2002, 01:19 AM
My favorite store for cosplay supplies is H&M. I found my gold bangle bracelets there for 38 cents each, and my shirt for Mirielle was $4.50. I'm all about the ghetto cosplay too. I just don't see the point in making a readily available inexpensive piece of clothing from scratch, ie a black miniskirt.

Ayaka
10-03-2002, 02:01 AM
> WORD!!!
Good Will
is my store!!!
(name is will)

So when you go there looking for cosplay stuff, you're "Good Will Hunting".
:D *gets shot for terrible pun*

Ahem. Anyway. There are no good secondhand stores near me. I had some in NYC, where I got several costume pieces. But I mostly do discount places, not secondhand. Until I find a good Salvation Army/etc to add to that.

L to the 3rd
10-03-2002, 04:01 AM
I dunno....about wearing clothes that were worn b4 n' stuffs.. ick.. I bothers me a lot. so I don't go anywhere's near a Goodwill store.. plus what if someone I knew saw me going there! o_o;; (can't live it down)

Luna Moon
10-03-2002, 06:58 AM
haha we got our Battle Royale jackets from Good Will ^_^

-Luna-

kitty_neko
10-03-2002, 07:05 AM
4 my faye costume, i went 2 goodwill and got white shorts and a shirt, i cut the shirt, took as many tags and stuff of the shorts as possible, and dyed them both yellow. it was a fairly cheap costume and it was pretty acurate. i love goodwill! ^__^

VioletFairy
10-03-2002, 12:29 PM
I just get a weird satisfaction from taking a piece of clothing that looks one way and changing it to look completely different. The jacket I used for my Noin costume was huge and had this odd double lapel, and when I was done with it you could hardly tell it was the same jacket.

The *used* aspect of the clothing doesn't bother me really, probably because I got so many hand-me-downs pushed on me as a kid-but I will say that I would never, ever buy secondhand undergarments. I do love looking through the evening gowns, though, and I have a pretty extensive collection of 20$-and-under dresses. ^_^ They're my weakness.

Vi

Tenshi
10-03-2002, 07:20 PM
I love thrift and goodwill stores, but I haven't did many costumes that I could buy parts for. The exception is Melfina, which is entirely second-hand save the poncho. But I will not spend mounds of money on shoes I'll never wear again, so every shoe I've used for cosplay has been from second-hand stores. Well, except for my Jupiter/Celes/Flea white boots, which I stole from my HS band XD.

Kurenai
10-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Sometimes I find that it's easier to just go buy a piece of used clothing just to cut it up and use it for the fabric ^_^ It can be much cheaper!

Frozen Emotion
10-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Heh. I go there to look for parts of costumes like jewelry(if I want specific beads) and belts. Like for my Lulu costume I ransacked Salvation Army and Goodwill...they looked at me like I was crazy when i put so many belts on the purchase couter x.x Yeha sometimes those places have just the right material you are looking for( i have budgets ya know! we can't all go the fashion district and get stuff :( )

chibi_kitty
10-06-2002, 06:39 PM
I actually found a complete costume there! I found the perfect dress and then just bought some black and red material! it was so awsome!
~Chibi kitty

Tenshi
10-06-2002, 07:35 PM
I wanted something simple to wear to school for Halloween this year, so I decided on a moogle girl. I got a red wig for $5, a crushed-velvet red cape for $4 (to make the wings from), and a clown nose for $1 (for the antenna doohickey). All I need now is a bit of fur, and I'll have a cheap cute school costume! Whee!

Galaxia
10-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Dang straight! :D

Tea-chan
10-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by VioletFairy

Vi

I do that too!! O_O

XD And.. and.. I bought my entire Narusegawa Naru costume at Goodwill. :D

aeva
10-07-2002, 10:13 PM
I've never done that, but if I need a simple piece, I'd prob'ly go scavanging for it rather than making it.

[Aeva is a lazy little girl]

Chosuke
10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Near my house we have Goodwill and Ghetto Village! <value village>

No matter if old clothes that are used sound icky to you..-they do to me ^_~- I just stopped in one time and they wwere selling BRAND NEW school uniforms.
Aparently the school's that have extra just give them to good will wear they sell them for about..five bucks a set.
We found Shinji Ikaris exact uniform and a whole bunch of different little outfits for the guy and girl members ^^

Kellie
10-08-2002, 11:31 AM
wErd! I LOVE going to the Goodwill store and getting parts of the costumes! That's how my Xu costume started! Although I'm going to make it over sooner or later with black material instead of navy blue material. They have some awesome stuff if you have a lot of time to really go through the racks and what not to find the perfect thing.

Hikaruchan
10-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Southern Thrift in Nashville is a regular stop for me. I have found over half the shoes I needed for cosplays there (including funky green boots I thought I would have to make). About half of my Hikaru and Xelloss costumes also where found there, where I just had to modify the Hikaru parts. I think if you can find a ideal piece there cheaper than you can make it, go for it.

VioletFairy
10-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
No matter if old clothes that are used sound icky to you..-they do to me ^_~- I just stopped in one time and they wwere selling BRAND NEW school uniforms.

Yeah, the places around here will have overstock from department stores, marked waaaay down. I love it. And I once found a full body black velvet catsuit for five bucks, with the original tags still attatched!

Adventures in evening wear...when I was looking for something to mangle into my Rinoa dress, my friend and I found two-not just one, but TWO-bright purple dresses that looked like Sailor Senshi fukus, down to the big bow on the front, just made completely out of satin. O_O All we can figure is that they were bridesmaid dresses. The things women will make their close friends wear at a wedding...

Vi

HuongStar
10-08-2002, 03:31 PM
My friend John made an absolutely perfect Spike costume from a suit he found in the thrift store. Total cost? Something in the neighborhood of $5. Thrift stores are a godsend and although I haven't made any of my own costumes from thrifty finds, I've helped dozens of friends find easily modified pieces.

I love to buy some of the random pieces simply for the fabric itself (lord knows when I can find pearlized turquoise leather again) or for the patterns! I've found tacky jackets with exquisite cuts so what I'll do is disassemble them to use as makeshift patterns. ^_^

Whoever said they have an H&M nearby, I envy you. ;_;

rainydaylulu
10-10-2002, 11:13 PM
oh, thank goodness! at first i wondered if doing that was blasphemy in the cosplay world...but that's exactly what i do. i would love to make my costumes from complete and total scratch, too, but i never seem to have the time/money, and i'm not all that great at making patterns.

i just sort of take fabric, cut it, sew it...and it miraculously fits me. i did this for all my rocky horror costumes, theatre costumes, etc.

actually, if the pattern for my LuLu dress doesn't work out, i'm thinking of fashioning it from a black prom dress-type dress i saw in a store yesterday...

jilly-cat.

Cait
10-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Goodwill? Never been. But, I did go to a sale at Kohls looking for some new T-shirts and walked out with 80% of my Ritsuko costume! Clearance racks are neat.

JoeBoeing
10-12-2002, 05:04 PM
I plan on ransaking a few thrift stores and the ilk for future costumes.

Like Sei Kensou from KOF can be put together from acouple trips to a salvation army and so can my Mario (Mario Bros) as well.

I think I can put together Kensou for around 30 bucks or less.

I'm a firm biliever in going to a thrift store and buying parts of costumes and modifing them to your costume's needs.

and if you don't like the idea of wearing used clotches because of germs and such wash them on hot a couple times like I do.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

ReiChan
10-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Goodwills are great! I got all my Lulu belts from one for cheap, so without Goodwill, I could never have afforded to make that costume in the first place. Wearing secondhand clothes doesn't bother me....all you have to do is wash the clothes before you wear them. Once you do that, I don't see what the problem is. Once I bought about 20 t-shirts in shades of red, orange and yellow from Goodwill, cut them up and made a dress out of them as a project for an art class (I stuck the pieces back together with a whole lot of safety pins). It actually came out pretty impressive. I wish I had a picture of it ;_; I ended up having to throw it away because it got incredibly dirty.

JoeBoeing
10-12-2002, 06:15 PM
I just got back from the Salvation Army (5 blocks away) and they didn't have anything in my size.

*pouts*
It sucks having a 60 inch waist.

oh well, I'll check out the other thrift shops over the rest of the weekend. and if all else fails. there is ebay.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Reiko
03-27-2003, 04:49 PM
thats monoyasha's store LOL she loves it ...for me its more killing my own clothes...atleats the ones that I dont use anymore...But yeah good will and my closet are the best places to find cheap stuff XD

Sarcasm-hime
03-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Goodwill and other secondhand stores are *indispensable* for costumers. It's sooooooo much cheaper than buying things new, and often you can find things in very good condition or brand new. I got the shoes for my Lipumira costume at Goodwill for $5 and made boot covers. Other than that I haven't used Goodwill for much of my costuming, but that's mostly because most of my costumes don't even remotely resemble regular clothing.

But I regularly root through secondhand clothing stores just for my regular wardrobe and am quite proud of that fact. I hate malls with a passion. I don't see anything wrong with secondhand (well, except underwear...that's just creepy) as long as you wash it. After all, vintage is in! And if you buy vintage, you get the same look as the cheap knockoffs in the mall for cheaper and it's better quality too!

Psychotic Jei
03-27-2003, 06:02 PM
I find all my stuff there....things like suits and crap... you dont want to spend 100 on them. I got my trench coat for Tsuzuki from Yami no Matsuei for five bucks at a thrfit store.

MikigamiTokiya
03-27-2003, 06:56 PM
I got a number of the pieces for my 18 costume there. heh it was such a lazy costume ^^;;

Allia
03-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Yeah I go to the Salvation Army to look for costume supplies. I found my first and second pair of Sailor Moon boots. I also found the gloves for the costume. I found many belts, martial arts uniforms, coats, dresses and especially shoes! The best part is that they are super cheap. For my latest costume I was going to go there but I saw an add in a store that surprisingly had the exact shoes I needed, and they were on sale too! They are super cheap. So Yeah thrift store are the best. ( although I would not be able to live without my craft and costume stores)^_~*

Ginny
03-27-2003, 07:10 PM
I don't use stuff from goodwill/salvation army as much as I just get all my everyday clothes there. ^___^ I heart cheap clothes. Very few of my costumes require any normal clothes anymore. But I still shop there all the time. :)

scandia
03-27-2003, 08:38 PM
I've bought both my manga Emeraude and manga eternal Emeraude base dresses at thrift stores- first one at Goodwill, second one at Salvation Army. Most of the other cosplay supplies I have bought through Ebay or at regular stores. Piecemealing RULES.

Karisu-sama
03-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Goodwill = Damned good! ^_____^

All the pieces in my "Shmi Skywalker" costume came entirely from Goodwill & Savers, except the boots.

Ditto "Lycidia". Modding = saves on sewing time, especially with MY evil schedule...

L to the 3rd
03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
i dunno ..... the thought of wearing used clothes makes my skin crawl..

Pendrell
03-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, Goodwill provided me with a $3.47 TB Subaru jacket, so I can't complain. ^_^; Wrong color, right style... and dye can fix that problem.
Like everyone else said, washing the clothes beforehand should help assuage your feelings of hesitance and/or, um, disgust, right?

K_Valentine
03-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Been wearing used clothes all my life. You get used to it when you're broke throughout your childhood.

Most of my costumes consist of adding to my Goodwill Hunting. Though I'm trying to expand to making my own stuff.

silent_hippo
03-27-2003, 10:19 PM
i love the thrift stores. i raid them about once a month. I got my gun for kei (DPF) there hacked it up, add some bondo, sand, paint and tadaa!! all for 96 cents (i had the hardware at home). I used to wear a bunch of clothes from the thift, and if i see a nifty pair of pants, i'll buy them. but i too lived off hand me downs as a kid.

Karisu-sama
03-28-2003, 01:55 AM
Many Asian families have a phobia about used clothes because "they may have belonged to someone who died". That's often how clothes got passed out of a family in the old days; these days that is highly unlikely, however. You can always thoroughly wash and "exorcise" anything you feel is suspect, if you want.

Many of the things I have gotten at Goodwill & such are brand new, with the original store tags still on them. Lotta people around here actually buy tons of new stuff every season and redo their wardrobe, without even having worn all they bought last season. Their loss, IMO.

I lived off hand-me-downs as a kid, and many of my own kids' stuff is hand-me-downs from relatives and such. Babies especially aren't in any size long enough to wear clothes out, and resale childrens clothes have been very helpful too.

HuongStar
03-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Many Asian families have a phobia about used clothes because "they may have belonged to someone who died". That's often how clothes got passed out of a family in the old days; these days that is highly unlikely, however. You can always thoroughly wash and "exorcise" anything you feel is suspect, if you want. My mother used to always yell at me for buying clothes at the thrift store. She would say, "If I had only saved what I wore back in the 70s and 60s! You shouldn't have to pay $5 for this shirt!" :o It's a bit funny because I can wear the same size pants my dad wore when he came to America. O_o

One of my friends regularly makes comic book/fantasy costumes and we were able to find a genuine black leather couch at our local thrift store. The leather was in overall good condition (just needed some cleaning & conditioning) so we skinned the entire couch! She made a really gorgeous leather corset and bustle skirt from the pieces. :D You may not find existing pieces that you need but I look at secondhand stores as potential fabric gold mines.

Menchi
03-28-2003, 10:20 PM
i would thrift shope alot more costume stuff if i could. how can ya beat skirt or somethig for $1-3 where the fabric might cost twice as much...i woudl never buy underwear or something there though that is scary stuff. but other that that i am all for mixed an matched clothing for costumes...a lil snip there an sew that yaay!

Shadow Lady
03-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Thrift stores can be really cool ^_^

My family always go to thrift stores for Halloween costumes. We don't buy those costumes in a bag but make our own instead. My mom found her entire costume a thrift store last year. She was, and I qoute, an "old hooker". :crylaugh: It turned out great.

I've been searching thrift stores lately for a good jacket for my Dominique the Cyclops costume. All I need to do is find a tan trenchcoat and make the collar higher. I'm getting close. I can feel it.

Oh, and I also think buying underwear from thrift stores to be a little creepy. -_-

TheLoneWolf
03-29-2003, 01:33 AM
Let's see.....not really anime,but I found three and a half of my KoF costumes in thrift stores ^^

Sakon
04-11-2003, 09:12 PM
I have the fortune/misfortune of working at a goodwill. So much money is spent there!
I usually wait until sale days and buy dresses and other outfits to use for fabric. But beavis knows how much other stuff I've bought there!
My best finds:
two dressmaker's dummies under $20 each, a couple magazine display racks I use for doujinshi, various giant stuffed animals (the 4 foot high pikachu with his original tags being the coolest, wedding dresses, japanese dolls and antiques, a talking alf, and so much more...

Being a puppeteer/puppet builder and packrat doesn't make spending any less either.

ayasuru
04-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Yeah...its more economic and as me and my cosplay buddies say "Goodwill is cosplayers paradise" in my case yeah it is. Second/handmedowns are the BEST for cosplay becuase if your poor and not in the mood to really spend thousands you can find things premade and just alter it. My best creation is actually my Lulu cosplay. lol

GreenElfie
04-11-2003, 11:43 PM
I love goodwill. i find the most interesting stuff there. sometimes i have to look pretty hard, but i still find interesting stuff. i've found jackets, fun video tapes, belts, shirts to modify...fun place...

Kia
04-12-2003, 04:34 PM
I just raided Good Will this morning looking for costumes for out school musical. I found some awsome stuff for our show, PLUS a few extras for myself. I managed to find the perfect fake fur hat for Estell (Magna Carta) and a big ornate cross for Karen (X). I probably would have found more, but I had rehearsal to get to. ^_^
I want to go back soon to look for some more stuff!

Chas
04-13-2003, 03:42 AM
I have mixed feeling. I do love the concept of GoodWill, and the fact that I got a perfect dress for my Anna (Shaman King) cosplay... It's just... Ew. These are not my clothes. But, since it's cosplay, and not everyday, I don't mind. Plus, I have my mom wash them like... 6 times before I really wear it, so I feel better. But, it's just SO conveneint when I know I can get something I NEED for really, really CHEAP.

I need a Subaru coat...! AWAY~ ::runs to GoodWill::

Yep. It's kinda like that. ^^;

But the people you see in those stores sometimes... I'm scarred for life. X_X;

otakutre
04-19-2003, 11:42 PM
While I do like thrifting for costume bits I do find that, in the long run, it is general cheaper to buy raw materials and start from scratch. That and I'm a self-loathing perfectionist. ;0)

But, yeah, Goodwill = mad fun.

mikcy
04-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Aha I went to Good Will today. It's practically cosplay heaven. Although, it had no checkered pants! ;-; Good Will has no checkered pants! *sobs* Oh well... I got some good things to make costumes with :D

Usagi Mylene
05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
I found a kahki skirt for 2.50 for my "Nerd" Naru outfit. On my way out they had a orange hooded sweater but it had a turtle on it!!! I' thinking of running back tomorrow to get it. It my of said "Salem" in the anime but it's TAMA on it!!! I'm a sucker for that turtle!! One little "alter" won't hurt anyone right.......?

On another note, I found so many cool black dress that I'm thinking of buying to hack them up and make myself a Black Lady outfit. Making the pink top is going to be a killer!! Any ideas?

I'm heading to New York this june and I'm so going to raid H&M.

Goodwill rocks!!!

^.^

Sakon
05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
I just found a pink prom dress for around $7 that with a small amount of alteration will easily become Mew Ichigo's battle dress!

And I threw together a ghetto gir cosplay. I need another job. As I am going broke...

Hitori
05-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Wee~ I *love* second hand stores. You get great stuff to modify, but I've never found anything perfect.....

Jess-Jess
05-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Goodwill is the best store around. You can find so many brand new clothes there! There's this mentality in Sarasota (for the rich people here, and there's a lot...) that if you wear something once you shouldn't wear it again, or not even wear it at all I gues, lol..I've found so many cute things there that were never worn! It's a great place to look also, if you want to look for "school uniform" type of outfits. I found a perfect short pleated skirt there the other day :) There was also a really cute dress that I could have used for a Chii outfit, but it didn't fit :( Oh well, ^.^ I definitally think it's a great idea to go searching around in a thrift store, it can really save you a lot of time and money!

Jessie >^..^<

vyrax778
05-13-2003, 07:55 PM
damn this thread remineds me i need to go get a suit jacket to butcher for my Chise battle costume.

Yeah Good Will is a Cosplayers haven of cheap stuff to butcher or use stock for costumes.

rpd_girl
05-13-2003, 08:18 PM
dude, I'm all about it. Why make a shirt from scratch when I can get it at goodwill for 3.00. I found the perfect Shirt, shirt, and tie for my Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest) there... I couldn't believe it, I was like, whoa... exactly what I was looking for... same with my Vanessa shirt and tie... I just altered it. :) I tell everyone to go there!

katrinastrife
05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I don't see anything wrong with secondhand (well, except underwear...that's just creepy) as long as you wash it.

LOL, I third the underwear notion. That's just gross.

My friend found a perfect shirt for Android 18 at our local goodwill, and I got my crossdressed cloud (losing version) dress at a consignment shop for all of 10 dollars! It's this giant poofy violet gown. Uber tackey, but it was rather interesting... I'll add the pic to my costume profile, eventually...

I would go there more often. The one near me hasn't had much interesting stuff in, since I checked, but it's something I wouldn't mind doing. It's fun to get clothes for a lot less than you'd find them elsewhere, and making something new out of it -- especially since it's not too bad if you mess up, because it was cheap in the first place -- is cool too! I agree with that whole washing a lot thing though: you never know...

I can't wait until I get a car... I'd go just for the fun of it!

cube
05-14-2003, 11:23 AM
There's nothing wrong with being resourceful. I prefure to make my costumes from scratch. It's a ridiculously labor intensive and time consuming task compared to buying something and modifying it. The problem with being a crossplayer is you can't walk into the woman's section of a store and ask them if you can try on their clothes. he he:D

vyrax778
05-14-2003, 02:43 PM
cube: do what I did have a female friend with you and pretend its for her.

NeoLunaAngel
05-16-2003, 09:55 AM
I am too lazy to read the whole thread so sorrry if any one else posted this sentiment first *^_^*

I love to shop second hand stores for bits of costumes!! It rocks...the best part though is when you find something you cannot use and you can cut it up and use it for a pattern...that was my mum's glorious idea for our Fushigi yugi costumes...all that work a year before McAll's decided to start their chinese/japanese inspired costumes...we saw that about two months after the otakon we wore those costumes to and almost died!!

Inamichan
05-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Me likes Goodwill XD I got my Mireille jacket and my Hiroshi shirt there (on the same day *_*), and there's one within walking distance to my dorm :3 The one by my house closed, though T__T

visulstimultion
07-28-2003, 11:55 AM
nearly all of my costuems this year have come from the good will, or at least portions of it have.... for anybody who lives in the Mercer, Bucks, Burlington, or Middlesex counties of Jersey and PA, there's a REALLY good second hand store on Route 33 just a few blocks away from the Hamilton Twp. Train Station called Red, White, and Blue.... it's HUGE!!! but yeah, i think all my costumes this year have been modifyed and gathered from either there or the Goodwill.

ignats69
07-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Thrift stores are awesome, especially when you are broke!!
I just went to the Salvation Army and got the missing pieces for my boyfriend's Hideki work outfit.
An orangy, yellow jacket and a long sleeve button down shirt for $5!! You just can't beat that!! I need to make some changes to the jacket but it sure beats trying to make it by hand. It's just too hard to make a jacket from scratch!

YAY, resourceful people!!:D

Gren
07-28-2003, 01:51 PM
closest thing I did was harvesting the back off a shirt, because you just can't fine (un mottled) grey stretchy fabric. And it's cheaper to get a 75 cent shirt, and 20 dollars/yard fabric. It doesn't match perfectly, but it's just for the back of the shirt, and I wear a jacket.

Leon
07-28-2003, 03:44 PM
I absolutely love the Goodwill!! I go there at least once a week to find different items (I've found quite a few gems, including two Nintendo beanbag characters, a few Badtz Maru items, several Sega Genesis/Super NES/Gameboy games, several cassette tapes and CDs, and a Glitter N Gold Jem with bodysuit, hairbow, and tape).

As far as Cosplaying, I have a friend who put together a Kyoko (Maison Ikkoku) costume from the goodwill. I just have a hard time finding things in my size, but I do look for more obscure items that could be used for cosplay (Still trying to find things for Barret, but an Army Surplus store might help for that)!

chai_fiend
07-28-2003, 04:18 PM
i adore goodwill and thrift stores. i bought my entire work wardrobe from a thrift store for about $20. (i couldn't go to work in freyed kikgirl's, now could i?) as for cosplay. my friend has a yellow shirt she got from goodwill and of course i stole it to use and butcher. i imagine i will do this again. so you're not alone

Nadeshiko
07-29-2003, 02:27 AM
haiiiiiiiiii! ^.~

most of the stuff for my Keiko costume was goodwill bought. I modified the skirt since it originally was a skort.

the karen dress (white) was from like a $5 store...a few alterations here and there...

and Goodwill is pretty much my source for cosplay shoes...

Usagi Mylene
07-29-2003, 02:46 AM
I'm using Goodwill as my resource for my Battle Royale outfit. It will be easier then trying to make the whole outfit. Also, if I found the jacket and skirt in white, I can always dye it!! =)

mikcy
07-29-2003, 04:43 AM
GoodWill is good. XD I found shoes that would probably cost like over 30 dollars for 6 dollars. Yay for laceless worn shoes!<3

Andrea
07-29-2003, 07:49 PM
It's the only way I can cosplay these days... and that's okay, because thanks to the dollar store and second-hand stores, my latest costume was acquired for $7, including the prop and shoes. ;) And then my second most recent costume was I think $3... and then a $40 pair of glasses, which makes up for it, I guess. :P

One neat idea I had while putting the last one together was... well, I needed a light green stripe across the front of the hoodie, and it would be pointless to pay $3 for half a yard of a proper material from a fabric store when I wouldn't even be using more than about a square foot. So I went to good ol' Nuway, where everything's $1 except shoes and coats, and found a plain shirt in the right color and sliced it up. Nice cheap fabric. :D

Edit: Hmm, and I should read these threads before posting... looks like I'm not the only one who harvests hard-to-find fabric from thrift store clothes. :D ...Though honestly I sort of felt bad cutting up the shirt... knowing that it does take work to put a shirt together. Then I remembered that that shirt was probably all machine-stitched anyway. ;)

Scortia
07-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Goodwill is your friend... After having issues trying to make Akio's red shirt, I went to Goodwill and found one for $.99. ~_~;;

mikcy
07-29-2003, 11:58 PM
The only bad thing about GoodWill is it gets my allergies acting up. X.x;

Jun_Kazama
07-30-2003, 02:29 PM
We don't have goodwill anywhere near here as far as I know so I just stick w/ salvation army.
I get shoes there mostly. There's another used clothing place nearby too called "savers". I just picked up the perfect shoes for my Sol-Badguy costume there yesterday for 6.99. (just gotta paint them red).
My Unknown costume only eneded up costuing me around 11 dollars for the whole thing.
Yeah, used clothing places are great for cosplay. ^_^

lunasreincarnat
07-30-2003, 02:46 PM
me and my friends go to good will all the time and get stuff to alter for costume. my witch hunter robin shoes came from there...

Kia
07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Last time I was at a GodWill I managed to find quite a few little accessories that I think are super cool for some future cosplay projects I'd like to work on. ^_^ If I could I'd go back every week to look for new things, but alas, I don't have the time, or usually the money. ^_^

Nataku7
08-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Not only are Goodwill and Salvation Army good places to find used items for costumes, but I like going to garage sales. You can get clothes at a good garage sale for .50 as opposed to the $2.00 you might pay at Goodwill. And personally, I don't see anything wrong with using previously owned articles of clothing as long as you clean them in hot water first to make sure they are germ free. If you sanitize the items, why would it ick anyone out then?? ^_^