PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Cosplay - wig or no wig?

Khaosprinzessin
06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm planning some disney cosplay with my friends and we decided I just have to be Ariel in human form. My sister said I wouldn't even need a wig because I have long, red hair anyway... but I'm not sure because:

1) My haircolor is not even... the longer parts are darker, some parts have been dyed black
2) My hair is frizzy and simply evil. I don't have bad hair days, I rarely have a good hair day.
3) No bangs... and I want to keep it this way.

Some photos so you can see what I'm talking about ^^

http://miaka-online.de/fotos/020908_01.jpg

another one, including my face ^^ (http://miaka-online.de/fotos/020908_02.jpg)

So... my sister's opinion: it would be ridiculous to hide long red hair under a long red wig... I kinda agree, but don't know if I want to wear a wig anyway.
What do you think?

han-pan
06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Honestly in the end it'll be up to you. =) But I'll throw you my two cents ^^

Personally, because your hair isn't the right shade, texture or style as Ariel's, I would go with a wig. I recently did a costume that involved a long, dark brown wig. I have...long, dark brown hair. xD Sounds pretty odd, right? But I don't have bangs, and the character doe. My hair is thin, and the character's is thick. Etc etc etc, the list goes on. I decided that I would much rather have accurate hair and look even more the part of the character, than to have to worry about styling my hair every time I wear the costume, maintaining a hair color/length/situation just in case I decide I want to wear the costume again...if you get a GOOD wig and make your costume very well, you can keep it for a very long time to come! =)

That's how I see it anyway ;)

Thiefette
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
As someone's who's gone as far as dying their hair black temporarily 3 times for a costume every time I was going to wear it at a con because my hair was the perfect cut... I want to say go with a wig. I did in the end because it was such a hassle. It'll be a lot less upkeep on your hair and Ariel has such a distinct color of red that I think a wig would look really good.

Faraday
06-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I say get a wig for everything you just pointed out yourself.
And like what Theifette said: Ariel's hair is a distinct shade of red. Plus instead of having to re-dye, style, up-keep your hair every time you'd like to wear the costume you don't have to worry because you already own the wig, it pays for itself in the long run.

Khaosprinzessin
06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your opinions!

Now I only need to find the perfect wig ;D But I still have quite a lot of time for searching...