PDA

View Full Version : The Cosmode Wig Tutorials....

FaithInDeidara
06-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Do they even work?? I own the U.S Glamour issue (the one with cosplayers from here on c.com) and they say to use FLAT IRONS and CRIMPING IRONS and oh my jeebus that its wig taboo! There's no WAY they could work without killing the fibers!
Or is there...?
The pictures they used show them holding the irons right on the wigs, no wet towel theory or anything, and the end result pics look amazing...o.0

I'm seriously confused. This goes against all I've learned about wigs!

So for my sanity- these can't possibly work, right??????

o01101011
06-14-2009, 02:06 PM
The wigs they are using are probably elora, which has a higher melting temperature then say...kanekleon (or w/e) which has a higher melting point then acrylic halloween wigs. Its all a matter of wig quality.

sonteen12
06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
There are wigs that made from materials that you can use hair dryers and irons on. ^^ You just got to look for it.

Aera
06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I just used an iron to straighten some kanekalon wigs, that looked terrible after two days at a con. Sprayed a bit of water on them and made sure the temperature didn't go above 150C And of course I didn't leave the iron in one place for too long.
And it worked. The wigs looked alsmost like new afterwards <3

If you want to try this, I would advice to use an iron, that has a temperature-display, so you can always check the heat you're working with. And of course you should carefully test this method first for each wig in some place, that's usually not visible...
But yes basicly it works with normal kanekalon wigs, too. At least mine ^^'

FaithInDeidara
06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
yeesh- i wish they would specify that. That really freaked me out...and I'm sure i wasnt the only one. they really need to point that out so people using the tutorials dont melt their wigs xP

Cora
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
yeesh- i wish they would specify that. That really freaked me out...and I'm sure i wasnt the only one. they really need to point that out so people using the tutorials dont melt their wigs xP

I think by now it's sort of a myth that you can't use heat to style - when I first started cosplaying in 05, it was all DANGER DANGER DON'T USE HEAT!!!!!11!!11one! - but eventually it has toned down to: you can use heat when you use it properly.

In general, I think it's a good idea to tell people at first to stay away from using a flat iron to straighten, but when you get more experience/learn more, it's perfectly fine on wigs of good quality.