PDA

View Full Version : How do I WEAR Link's Sword and Shield?

cosplayraptor
06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi all. I'm making a Dark Link from the Legend of Zelda series costume for Otakon, which is nice because there are plenty of tutorials out there on how to make a great Link costume and Dark Link is exactly the same except all black.

My question is how can I wear the Mastersword and Hylian shield properly? The sword goes in a scabbard which is attached to a bandolier, and the shield attaches on the back over the scabbard when in resting position. I need advice on how to deal with the following problems:

a) how to attach the shield to my back in the first place
b) how to take the shield off my back and put it back on during the convention, seeing as how I won't want to walk around with a sword and shield in my hands all day, yet will need to take them out for pictures.

Thanks a lot for any and all help, especially if you have personal experience with this problem! ^_^

KidGoku13
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
well...I've been working on making a Deku Shield, but it's basically the same concept...(i'll be ordering a master sword to go with it). What you should do is unattach one end of the strap on the scabbard, run it through the shield's strap, re-attack the unattached end of the strap, and put it on. I hope that helped out some! That's what I'm gonna do. ^^

thehyrullian
06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Attaching the shield to you back is easy, removing it easily is... a whole other story. Weve beat this to death in the Zelda forums, unless you add some extra leather straps/belts its not possible with Links current setup. Damn you Nintendo!

zenith_link
01-10-2012, 01:41 AM
What if Link used well placed magnets?

Shopping-Ooccoo
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Has anyone ever watched how Link unsheaths his sword? It acually goes right THROUGH the scabbard! And Toon Link doesn't even have a belt holding his scabbard or sheild! That's just the beauty of video games...and the nightmare of cosplayers!:waaaah:

JasonTerror
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
i second magnets. if your making your swords sheath, you could put a very strong magnet on it and cover it when you paint the whole thing, then ad the matching magnet that will clip with it on the middle of the sheild. if its strong enough and the sheild is light enough you may even be able to put it on very quickly like he does in the games. but itll be a tad harder to get back off unless you pull pretty hard. just a thought but eventually ill do a link and that was what i was gonna do with the hyrulian sheild and master sword from OOT

Takemaru
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Glad I found this thread. I was thinking of using magnets myself. I've considered earth magnets.

JasonTerror
02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
yea i dont know if they are the same, but i was going to use that one that starts with a N i cant spell it though but they are super strong

Link_Harkanian
02-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Magnets, it's the same way that they have the Shield in Captain America hook to Chris Evans' back on the fly as a practical effect. The way Zelda Project did it for the Lost Woods photo shoot was to rig a frame that strapped to the sheath, and then slide the shield onto the frame. The downside is that shield weighed a ton, and it kills your back.

And sadly, like the sword, it is not physically possibly to draw out the shield like in the game.

p8ntballsniper8
04-13-2012, 01:40 AM
I haven't tested this yet, but it seems it would work without adding too much excess weight to the shield. I'm not sure what the exact name of it is, but you know the locks they put on doors, where there's a channel on the door, and a small chain with a plug on the end that fits into the channel? Similar to that. Basically take the scabbard, and put two open ended channels along the out facing side. Then you could put two bolts, or fashion your own plugs that would fit into the channel, and secure it to your back.

The great part is that there's nothing showing when it's on your back, and if you work at it you could probably disguise the channels on the scabbard to be a part of the detail work. It wont add much weight, and if you make the shield out of a light enough material, it wont add too much weight to your back either.

I hope that made sense. if not, I can always draw up a diagram :D

smasher1001
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I just added an extra strap at the top of the shield to hook onto the hilt of the sword. It's not exactly accurate(as it doesnt exist in game lol) but it does get the job done rather simply ^.^

you can see it if you click my username and check my photos.

Link_Harkanian
04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Depending on what your sword is made of and how expensive it was to buy/make, this can be a bad idea because it can stress the handle with the weight, and/or damage the paint job or the actual body of the prop itself. I'd actually advise, if you want to rig the shield to fit on the sheath like the games, there is a way to rig a hook system on the sheath itslef, it's what Aaron of Fiberglassblades did for his costume.

Rarelyfly
09-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Hello, I larp all the time, and for my warrior's shield I have a strap that I slip offer my head to use my shield. If you use the right material, you can even make it blend in with your bondolier for the authentic in-game look