PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Wiper wig

RenzokukenXIV
06-18-2009, 11:36 AM
So, I'm planning to cosplay as Crimson Viper from Street Fighter 4. The only problem is, I have no clue on how to style the wig for it. Her hair is basically styled into an extremely long braid (I'm thinking a french braid) with a pompadour style on top.

Reference Pictures: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/crimson_viper.jpg
http://ps3maven.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/street-fighter-4-characters-moves-list-ps3-crimson-viper.jpg

My question is, should I start with a short wig and add extensions for braiding or just start long?

Dust Bunny
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
It would probably be easiest to get a short wisp or something and pull the hair into a mo-hawkish style then make your big fat pompadour braid and attach it to the wig to cover the mo-hawk.

It looks to me like an in-side out french braid instead of the traditional one.

RenzokukenXIV
06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
That could work, but does the wisp have enough fiber to put into a style like that? I guess either that or some other shorter wig could work, but then comes the question of how to make the braid. I can tell it's going to take alot of extensions to make the whole braid and pompadour, but what method should I use? At first I was thinking stubs, but for some reason I don't think that will work out like I think it would.

Faraday
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Don't get the Wisp, there's no way you can pull it back.
Perhaps get the Angela 750/femme fatalle, and slick back the sides. Make the front-center pomp, and just french braid the rest of it, when you run out of hair perhaps you could use caulk to attach some extensions? (I have no idea if that'd even work) Or you can buy an Ivy wig (or something as equally long) and cut out the wefts in that to sew into the base wig.
(I'm planning on making a different character that has a long braid like Crimson Viper's so I'm also curious to know other methods on how to do it)

RenzokukenXIV
06-18-2009, 06:40 PM
My first idea was actually using the Femme Fatal, I used it to stub a ponytail before but I'm not sure if it would work with this. I really don't know how slicked back I could make it, but maybe with work I could get it in that style. But still, even if I was able to slick it back like that how would I attach the braid? Or make the braid for that matter, if I'm attaching it to a base wig how you I french braid it all together?

Phoenix_Kasai
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Ok, this was a method I was considering (the short wig + braid version) when I made my C. Viper wig, but I'll be honest, the braid gets so heavy that it will take a lot to keep the wig on your head from not slipping back.. thats my assumption at least from testing it with a short wig and extensions and then putting some tension on the braid/extensions. I ended up creating a seperate "headpiece" (made of extensions from Doctored Locks) that would clip directly over my short hair and then used lots of red spiker gel and some specialty red streaker stuff on my actually hair to make it match the headpiece as close as possible. I explained how I made it on my costume page if you want more details.

Hopefully the method with the short wig + extensions works for you! If so I'll love to see your version of her hair! I'll keep an eye out for your cosplay!

RenzokukenXIV
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Ok, this was a method I was considering (the short wig + braid version) when I made my C. Viper wig, but I'll be honest, the braid gets so heavy that it will take a lot to keep the wig on your head from not slipping back.. thats my assumption at least from testing it with a short wig and extensions and then putting some tension on the braid/extensions. I ended up creating a seperate "headpiece" (made of extensions from Doctored Locks) that would clip directly over my short hair and then used lots of red spiker gel and some specialty red streaker stuff on my actually hair to make it match the headpiece as close as possible. I explained how I made it on my costume page if you want more details.

Hopefully the method with the short wig + extensions works for you! If so I'll love to see your version of her hair! I'll keep an eye out for your cosplay!

Wow, the method you used worked PERFECTLY. But my natural hair is probably too short to slick back and attach a braid to ^^; I think I'm going to go with the short wig idea, I think I can get the Femme Fatal slicked back enough to handle the thick braid. How did you go about making the actual braid though? Since it's made with extensions, did you make the pompadour first then start braiding it?

Phoenix_Kasai
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Its actually extensions over a black piece of fabric filled with batting fiber (like for quilts). It runs from the front of my head to the back of my neck and a started with the 7-8 packs from Doctored Locks and broke them down into a variety of large and small wefts (probably about 15-20 total). I started with the larger ones on top up front and started to sew and hot glue the wefts to the headpiece (black fabric) and it was just a constant working back and forth fixing and refixing each piece of the braid. Each time I would cross a piece of hair over another I would glue it and spray it.. hince the reason it took so long to make. Originally it continued this same layering/gluing effect all the way down... but I had an accident with spirit gum so I had to cut it off at the base of the wig. I saved three full 48" long pieces for the bottom of the braid I tied them off (while still keeping the pieces seperate and had one friend hold the top(where it would attach at the neck) and the other helped me with actually braiding it. I HIGHLY suggest having at least one person help with braiding b/c if not it can kind get curved and having two people will have all the hair constantly pulled so it stays even.. and most of all take your time! Don't rush it! So at this point I had the headpiece and the tail of the braid. With the braid I undid about the top 3 inches and wrapped them from the back of the headpiece to the front, making sure to cover the base of the headpiece and any stay hairs. Sprayed the whole thing down a bunch w/got2be spray and used some thick gel/pomade for stray hairs. Attached several barretts underneath and there you have it.. pompador braid of doom. ;)

I hope this helped somewhat! The best advice I can give you is to have LOTS of patience b/c the braid will give you hell at somepoint. If not, your a lucky woman.

Ya know.. I'm saving this thread to my costume in case anyone asks again... lol.