PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Game show 2009!

aoisakura
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyone going? Me and my fiance are debating wether to 1) Go 2) Cosplay and wondering if anyone is going!

elisiss
06-20-2009, 07:38 AM
http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/index.html

curphs
09-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I'll be going with a couple of my friends from England!

Cosplaying as Cid Highwind (I know it's the easiest but it's my first cosplay) and there are about 4 of us going.

We're staying in Roppongi and I'm here for 6 months...

Killmesarah
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
What kind of cosplay is appropriate for this event?
All I have is Malin from King of Fighters xD kind of an old costume, but easy to pack.

Do you think people will be wearing anime costumes? For example, Naruto- there is a video game of Naruto as well..

I've only been to Comic Market, so any info about cosplaying at this event would be helpful.

mixaka
09-04-2009, 03:40 AM
I cosplayed at TGS last year. Appropriate costumes are pretty much any and everything that comes from a video and/or computer game. Most people were cosplaying in pairs or groups. Most of the individual cosplayers were wearing rather risque stuff that I assume must come from H-games. I saw plenty of costumes from older games but I don't recall seeing any Naruto based stuff. Though, I'm sure it would be fine to wear anime costumes as long as there is some kind of related game. I found the TGS crowd to be very friendly and had several interesting conversations with both cosplayers and non-cosplayers about the series I was cosplaying from.

The changing area last year was pretty small and the super long line to change moved at a snails pace. I probably spent more time in line than I did doing anything else. If you want to cosplay at this event and also check out all the booths and new games, either plan on cosplaying for a very short period of time, or check out the booths and stuff one day and cosplay the other day.

I will be attending on Sunday. I wanted to go both days and follow my own cosplay one day, check out things the other day plan but I have a must attend event on Saturday. It seems that TGS is happening a bit early this year. For the past 2 years it has been held on the 3 day weekend in Oct so I was sort of expecting the same this year. Oh well. I'll be cosplaying Beatrice from Umineko no naku koro ni assuming it gets finished on time. If you have any other questions, I'll try by best to answer!

crystaltiara
09-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new here - I started lurking (and eventually decided to post) here after finding out about this forum. I'll be in Tokyo as an exchange student from September to January, and I'm glad that I found this thread. I'd love to attend this convention! Sorry for the noob-ish question, but how much is admission? Also, do cosplayers have to register and to pay an additional price for cosplaying?

I'm not sure about cosplaying yet, but I packed my Rosa Ushiromiya costume in my suitcase, so if I work up enough confidence, and if I'm not busy on September 26 and 27, I'll cosplay her there. lilypad114, I'd love to see your Beatrice costume; I hope I can take pics of/with you! :) Also, I hope to meet new friends at this con!

curphs
09-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Does anyone know what the deal is on the cosplay weapons policy at this event? Not sure whether to invest my time into making a spear... and can you wander round the event in your cosplay? (Will obviously leave the spear out of the equation at this point so don't go hitting people by accident)

Sorry if slightly newbie questions!

mixaka
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Admission to the Game Show is 1,000yen if you by a ticket in advance, or 1,200 yen if you buy a ticket at the door. There is also a 500 yen fee to cosplay that covers use of the dressing room and storage area.

I would love to cosplay with you crystaltiara! I should know around the 20th of this month if my cosplay will be finished in time or not. I can also give you my cellphone number so you can contact me once you are in Japan. It's always way more fun to cosplay with other people especially because all the Japanese cosplayers seem to cosplay with at least one other person, so if you are by yourself, it feels weird.

curphs, if the rules are the same as last year, you are only allowed props that are 50cm or less. A spear, unless its really short, would not be allowed. Also, I did wander around the event in my cosplay last year and no one said anything about it. However,I cosplayed Miyo Takano and the outfit could pass as, slightly strange, everyday wear. I did not see anyone else wandering around the floor and events area in cosplay and if you are wearing something that could not be everyday clothes, you will probably have to change. Also, it's packed at the game show. People will be bumping and crashing into you all the time so it is not the safest place to be wearing cosplay.

tenjouusagi
09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
My family and I are going! We'll be staying in Killmesarah's guesthouse, and we'll be grouping with her at TGS. Even though she won't match. xP Haha. Myself, my husband and our 2 children will be going as Final Fantasy characters. ^^ It seems I may have to break the news to my husband about the weapons limit. I tried to tell him it was probably a better idea not to bring any props anyway, but men never listen. <_<;

Killmesarah
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
So wait... are you saying you think cosplayers aren't allowed on the main floor?

I remember when I went to Comic Market, I hardly saw any cosplayers in the exhibit area. Maybe Japanese cosplayers go ONLY to cosplay?? I have no idea >_<
I'd like to find out if cosplay is allowed on the main floor or not- there are games I wanna see!!

I'll try to get one of my Japanese friends to help me >_< maybe it's on the site and I'm just missing it..

crystaltiara
09-10-2009, 12:30 AM
lilypad114, thanks for the info regarding admission! Just to confirm whether my info is correct, this event will be held at Makuhari Messe; am I right?

Sure; it'd be nice if we could trade cellphone numbers. I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow, so I don't have a Japanese cellphone yet. Maybe we could PM each other once I get a cellphone. Yes, it'd be nice to have a companion when cosplaying! I studied Nihongo, but I think it'd be difficult to go to an event alone, and with such limited knowledge of the language. Plus, I'm Chinese, so I often get mistaken for a Japanese national, which leads to some awkward moments when I can't understand what they're saying. =_=

I hope your costume gets done on time! :)

mixaka
09-10-2009, 03:40 AM
I've never managed to cosplay at Comiket, but I always thought it was a rule that you could only wear cosplay in the designated cosplay area. I've never seen anyone cosplaying in the exhibit area, though, given the complexity of many of the costumes at Comiket, its probably smart that they change before going to the event area.

As for TGS, I don't see anything on the English or Japanese site about cosplay. Last year, they passed out a piece of paper with all the rules and I'm kicking myself right now for having tossed it. I don't think cosplay on the floor is necessarily prohibited (you just can't arrive or leave in cosplay the general convention wearing it) or I probably would have been asked to change last year. I think its just not considered normal to walk around in your cosplay and not change before checking out events and what not. And from what I can tell, most of the cosplayers are there to cosplay. But I also suspect most only cosplay one of the 2 days. If you do find out more info about this, please share it.

crystalitiara, by the time you read this you'll probably already be in Japan. Welcome! I don't think lack of Japanese skills matters much. I have never formally studied Japanese and manage to get by at most events just fine. Especially big events because they are used to dealing with non-Japanese speakers. Though it is tough if you look Asian as they do tend to assume you are fluent. Just smile and apologize. That usually works in my experience.

tenjouusagi
09-10-2009, 04:59 AM
When we went to Comiket in 2007, we wandered around in our costumes. No one said anything. ^^; We never found the cosplay square though. It was a very poorly planned trip, and I couldn't get a hold of the cosplayer we were supposed to meet up with from here. ;_; I hope for a much better turn out this time. We would have rather gone to Comiket this winter, but we'll be PCSing from Japan during that time, so it's much easier to go to TGS instead. I like knowing I have a home to go home to when the trip is over. @_@;

Killmesarah
09-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Ok, I translated some of the Japanese site. Most of the cosplay rules are standard and common sense, but here are a few that might be useful:

When you leave the changing room, there are people to check your costume. You must wear underwear and bra at all times. If you wear a revealing costume, you must wear stockings.

They recommend you get to the changing room no later than 4pm to change out of your costume. You can't leave wearing it.

The men's changing room becomes a temporary women's changing room at a 'fixed time, depending on circumstance.'
I guess this means since there are way more women, that men will only have a certain time they can change.. I wonder if there is a way to find out when that would be..

The photo area is between Hall 3 and 4 at the 'Mall of Serenity.' I'm assuming that means the first floor?
http://www.m-messe.co.jp/en/facility/img_facility/facility_shisetsu_01.jpg
It's confusing X_X

I didn't find any rules saying you can't go into the main areas, you just have to make sure your costume isn't bulky, and won't get in anyone's way. If anyone has a specific concern, let me know and I can try to look for the information.

crystaltiara
09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi lilypad114; yes, I'm already in Japan. I'm trying to figure out how to travel from Asakadai to Makuhari Messe. :) I saw that the tickets are on sale at 7-11 branches. About the admission price, is it 1000 yen per day, or for both days? Hope someone clarifies this; thanks!

mixaka
09-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I saw tons of girls last year in revealing costumes and none of them were wearing stockings! I don't think they are too strict on that rule. As for the changing room switch, I changed when the show opened up and then changed back around 4pm. In the morning the boys dressing room remained for boys and at closing, it switched to girls once there were no more boys in line to change back.

And, the cosplay area is on the 1st floor. If you look on the map its the rather large corridor between the 3rd and 4th halls. It's really hard to miss.

And the crystaltiara, hope you are enjoying Japan! I also use http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi to figure out train schedules. Really helpful site. The station you need for Makuhari Messe is kainhinmakuhari. And, it's 1,000 yen per day.

tenjouusagi
09-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know if kids admission is free or lower than the adult fee, and if they charge kids to change into cosplay? I wonder because Comiket charged our 3 year old son when he dressed in his Jack Skellington costume in 2007. <_<;

Killmesarah
09-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I saw tons of girls last year in revealing costumes and none of them were wearing stockings! I don't think they are too strict on that rule.

I dunno... all the webpage said is that you have to wear the proper undergarments for revealing costumes. And that they would be checking people at the exit.
My experience with Comic Market was like this- they had a few people at a table at the exit, and they stopped me because I was wearing duct tape in place of a bra, lol! So, I had to put my non-matching bra on, or not cosplay =(
I haven't ever been to TGS, but you are right about seeing revealing costumes- I see the pics every year.
It's something to be aware of, at least.

Thank you for the info on the venue!

mixaka
09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
I didn't really notice a 'check' last year, but when you leave the dressing room you have to take your suitcase/stuff to a table and leave it with them. They may have given my outfit a once over without me noticing.

tenjouusagi, general admission to TGS is free for elementary school age kids and under. I have no idea about the cosplay fee though. I don't really recall seeing any kids in cosplay either. If you had to pay at comiket, then there's a good chance that you will have to pay at TGS too.

Jaseroque
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey folks, I'm going to be at the TGS this year as well, bringing my Aeris cosplay. There's going to be a lot of foreign FF cosplay this year, it looks like!

Anyway, here's the deal with cosplay on the floor, and also getting cosplay into the convention hall. You can't be wearing your costume when you're waiting in line to get into the TGS -- they will send you home and tell you to put on normal clothes. So you have to bring it in a suitcase or somesuch. I tend to wear as much of my costume as I can get away with as being 'normal clothes', and then put the rest in a bag. I actually skipped the changing rooms last year and got changed in the bathrooms -- this is clearly not the standard way of doing things, but nobody seemed to mind. The disadvantage of doing things this way is that you have to carry all your bags around with you, you can't check them in. But it's a lot quicker.

Secondly, it's fine to cosplay on the floor of the TGS, but you're not allowed to take photos there. When you get there you'll see why! There's so many people there it would completely clog up the flow on the floor and nobody would be able to get anywhere. There are three main buildings, and in between those buildings there are walkways and an outdoor section. The outdoor section is where cosplayers are allowed to take their photographs. There's quite a lot of room, but it still gets pretty packed. You tend to just wander around until you find yourself some wall, and then stay there and pose for photographers for a while, or conversely, you find a cosplayer you like and hop in line to take a photo of them.

Anyway, those are the rules I gleaned from my experience at the gameshow last year. Hope to see some of you there!

mixaka
09-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Beatrice is a go. Will have to do some last minute pinning, but I will be cosplaying her this year. If anyone is interested in meeting up on Sunday, PM me and I'll pass along my cell number/mail address.

Yay! Less than 2 days away!

Bluewater
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi.
I attended the Comiket this summer. You need to pay 800 Yen each day and you are not allowed to take photos inside the building. Just inside the cosplay area.
http://www.comiket.co.jp/info-a/TAFO/C76TAFO/C76eng.html
These are the rules. They check your underwear as well as you bra. You can not take good photos there, because there are always many people in the background. It is also quite hot... You should go to the @tonari no cosu@ which is near the comiket and much better...