PDA

View Full Version : Roommates

santose2008
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Anybody looking for another roomie? New York is expensive in hotel fees and I'm the only person going to NYAF. I'm nice and I don't bit. My age is 24 so I know how to act right in public not to humiliate you. Iím also a female. I would go on a NYAF forum on NYAF site but they donít have one which is a first for a anime convention Iím interested in going too. So please get back to me. Thanks.

mrgetalife
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
They do have a forum. But its weak.

http://newyorkanimefestival.yuku.com/

You'll have better luck finding people on here.

PreciousSonja
06-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Look here (http://newyorkanimefestival.yuku.com/topic/923/t/7-places-you-can-stay-at-for-under-50-a-night.html)

All of these hotels you can stay at for under $50 a night. ^_^ I'd just check in Friday and check out Sunday and you'll have a bill below $100 total. PM me if you need more help with this.

Aqua's Rhapsody
06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow those places are extremely cheap. It almost seems too good to be true...

santose2008
06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Like the guy said above, what's the catch?

mrgetalife
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
They are HOSTELS. Not HOTELS. You're kinda renting a bed for the night. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel

So expect community bathrooms, renting lockers, etc, depending on the location.

botan007
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I have room in my guesthouse. We are going in Fri,Sat and Sunday. Its a 30min ride to the train station and a nice hour train ride for $17.75 for round trip. I have 3 spots if anyone is interested. Its $30 for the weekend in the guesthouse and that covers your cot and gas and some food.. so for the weekend its $90ish, not counting ticket and convention food. I will take a down payment of $15 via paypal and will accept the rest on Friday or Sunday. PM me for more details.

santose2008
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I have room in my guesthouse. We are going in Fri,Sat and Sunday. Its a 30min ride to the train station and a nice hour train ride for $17.75 for round trip. I have 3 spots if anyone is interested. Its $30 for the weekend in the guesthouse and that covers your cot and gas and some food.. so for the weekend its $90ish, not counting ticket and convention food. I will take a down payment of $15 via paypal and will accept the rest on Friday or Sunday. PM me for more details.

Botan I PM you. I hope you got it.

MapleRadio
07-24-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm looking for a place to crash Friday and Saturday night. I don't want to spend gobs of money, so sleeping in an overstuffed room is just fine with me.

As for myself, I'm pretty quiet and can keep to myself, but I love meeting new people. I can be pretty goofy and silly if I'm around the right people. Pretty much, I'm just looking for a good time and cool people to chill with. Let me know if you've got a spot for me! [:

santose2008
07-24-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm looking for a place to crash Friday and Saturday night. I don't want to spend gobs of money, so sleeping in an overstuffed room is just fine with me.

As for myself, I'm pretty quiet and can keep to myself, but I love meeting new people. I can be pretty goofy and silly if I'm around the right people. Pretty much, I'm just looking for a good time and cool people to chill with. Let me know if you've got a spot for me! [:

I'm actually staying at the Chelsea Star Hotel with a friend that have stayed there before with no trouble. If you need a place to stay that is cheap, I would say try there. I'm bunking there for $29.99 a night for the dorm one. It's not the best but I'll be with somebody, so I feel a little better taking a place like this. I'm only there for the con not the hotel I say for a price like this. If you stay there then you can hang with us. But that is up to you.

Bitter
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Mmm...I wouldn't trust staying at a hostel in NYC. Sounds awfully sketchy to me. -__-;; However, I'm still looking for an actual hotel room to stay/split with people. I'm 26, female, non-smoker. I don't mind floor space at all. I'll probably be attending NYAF by myself and having a room near the convention center is just really convenient rather than taking the train an hour back and forth while dragging around my cosplay, you know? If anyone's interested or has room, please PM me.

santose2008
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Mmm...I wouldn't trust staying at a hostel in NYC. Sounds awfully sketchy to me. -__-;; However, I'm still looking for an actual hotel room to stay/split with people. I'm 26, female, non-smoker. I don't mind floor space at all. I'll probably be attending NYAF by myself and having a room near the convention center is just really convenient rather than taking the train an hour back and forth while dragging around my cosplay, you know? If anyone's interested or has room, please PM me.

I actually did call them up and everything just to see if they were legit. The help desk workers answering my questions was very nice and professional. They told me what to expect, how far JCC was which is around the corner and how far the bus station was since I will be taking Megabus to get there. Besides you won't be alone if you go. If you put in your reservation, they won't charge you until the actual date even if your using a debit card. Just put my name to bunk with and they will put you with us. It would be fun and it beats sleeping on the floor if you can't get a room in time to sleep on a bed.

TheAnarCHris
07-24-2009, 07:22 PM
People looking for rooms, are any of you near NYC? Another suggestion is just scouting out the area near the Javitis area. There's a lot of hotels near that area that arent that expensive, but you have to book in person or on the phone. Some of them aren't on the web.

Also Bitter, where are you coming up from? I cant offer you room space (I'm either crashing at my place, or getting a staff room) but I may be able to find you a spot in a friend's room. Feel free to PM me.

Bitter
07-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Starwind824: I'm actually coming from central NJ about an hour outside of NYC. I wouldn't mind the commute so much, except that it makes it really inconvenient when it comes to cosplaying.

TheAnarCHris
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Starwind824: I'm actually coming from central NJ about an hour outside of NYC. I wouldn't mind the commute so much, except that it makes it really inconvenient when it comes to cosplaying.

Central NJ? LOL my wife used to live in Point Pleasant. Small world.

But yeah I can see how the commute can be a pain. Again, shoot me a PM (The AIM name I have listed in my profile isnt used that often) and we can TRY to work something out.

soeunkyo
07-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I actually did call them up and everything just to see if they were legit. The help desk workers answering my questions was very nice and professional. They told me what to expect, how far JCC was which is around the corner and how far the bus station was since I will be taking Megabus to get there. Besides you won't be alone if you go. If you put in your reservation, they won't charge you until the actual date even if your using a debit card. Just put my name to bunk with and they will put you with us. It would be fun and it beats sleeping on the floor if you can't get a room in time to sleep on a bed.
Hey your from Philadelphia? Hmmm I am also lol I will be attending NYAF also I don't know about staying at a hostel or hotel or watever but if you do have room I would like to know! I have options of driving up there and staying or just go there one day depending

Maikitty
07-28-2009, 03:50 AM
i need a HOTEL room, too. i'm poor and live in maryland. ;u; please PM me for information and the like.

DespairedPheonix
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Edit: Room is full.

RiVenoX
07-29-2009, 01:32 AM
beautiful spirit and i have room, but we've only got room in our hotel room for people who are AWESOME. are you AWESOME? (block capitals on AWESOME are important)

Farasha
07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I go to college on LI but traveling back and forth last year was such a pain in the ass... it'd be nice to find a room but I've had some really bad experiences with roommates in the past - plus I actually LIKE to party at cons, and "no partying" seems to be a requirement for most people. AND I'm a smoker... so my room options seem to be drastically limited!

Winds_of_Fate
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
From DC. 2 military males, 23 and 25, Partiers, looking for maybe 2, 3 at most roommates. Must be over 18 and like to party, smoking is ok as one of us smokes. PM me for details.

DespairedPheonix
07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I go to college on LI but traveling back and forth last year was such a pain in the ass... it'd be nice to find a room but I've had some really bad experiences with roommates in the past - plus I actually LIKE to party at cons, and "no partying" seems to be a requirement for most people. AND I'm a smoker... so my room options seem to be drastically limited!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your former room mates. That must have sucked.

People don't like parties in their hotel rooms because of the following reasons [these aren't all, but they're the major topics most organizers find when they're booking a hotel room]:

sometimes there's someone under the drinking age, and if the party is found, there could be a lot of problems involving that.
if there's a lot of noise, the hotel finds out that there's more people in the room than there's supposed to be, in which case they either kick you out, or they make you pay for another room. Both of which become the person whos credit card the room is under's responsibility.
Drama. A lot of times, parties lead to drama, and most people like to have drama-free weekends.
Sleep. A lot of people actually like to get sleep at cons, because they have to be up early the next day.
Stuff breaking in the hotel room. Wether someone is coming in drunk, or a party is being thrown in the hotel room, stuff can break. Then it becomes the person who is responsible for the hotel room to pay for it.
People getting sick is just not fun for people at a con. Especially when someone ends up throwing up on your cosplay. [True story.]
People getting hurt. Going to the hospital is NOT something people want to do at a con.

I understand that people like to have parties, and I respect that, I like to party and have a good time too, however with MY experiences with hotel parties, and parties in general, it's not a good thing to have during a con. I'm not really at a con to experience those things, and honestly...having my cosplay vomitted on is NOT on my to-do list. [Again, true story.]

As for the smoking thing, i don't really care if you ARE a smoker, that I could care less about. I smoke every so often and I WAS a smoker for 7 years. Whatever. It's that there's no smoking allowed in the hotel room. It's NYS law. There's nothing I can really do about it lol

Winds_of_Fate
07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
From my personal experiences (being the one in charge of the room and throwing the party) I have found it best to keep "parties" to around 8 or 9 people at max, all of which are staying in the same hotel (that keeps you from being charged extra, everyone can prove they are 'legally' in the hotel). To avoid the Cosplay ruining aspect we've locked all the cosplays in one room while the party is in another(Joe's room is the party, Jane's is for valuables and cosplay attire). So far that has worked for us.

You don't let anyone get super sloshed or anything like that. I am a firm believer in drink to relax and socialize not to get stupid. I'm not afraid to boot someone from a party if they're getting too loud. Drama is never a good thing at cons because it has destroyed many a good friendships. Thats why you only invite those you trust and know or have good reason to.

You make all very good points BeautifulSpirit. All of which make con experiences terrible if they happen. But with the right planning and ground rules set up for the party and rooms they're in, "partiers" and "non-partiers" are able to have as much of a good time together as they would apart. So, I guess you could say that my parties aren't really parties, more of friends chilling.

Just for an example of the common rules I post, here are some of the more general "rules" I post in the room:
1. If you are going to drink, be mature. Know your limit, and stop before you reach it.
2. When you enter or leave, be of good graces and respectful. People may be sleeping.
3. Bring your own alcohol. There will be some food and beverages that are community, but alcohol is not one of them.
4. Be respectful of other guests. Not everyone is a con attendant, and the hotel is allowing us to use their rooms.
5. You are responsible for yourself. Get up when you are ready. If you want a wake-up nudge, then ask the night before.
6. If there is any problems, talk it out like adults or the room "King" or "Queen" will get involved.

Those are just basic rules. I have more rules for say if there is a kitchen in the room and etc. These have helped with every con I have gone to and have actually made for quite the enjoyable weekend.

DespairedPheonix
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I see your point, however I also have to say that if it were just me and my friends in the hotel room, I would trust them enough. Trusting strangers in a room to act mature is a LOT easier said than done >.< A lot of people SAY they will do things, and don't abide by what they say.

That's my only reason to having no alcohol or parties in my rooms. It's lead to far too many problems and I'd rather not deal with it ^.^;;

Winds_of_Fate
07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
That is completely understandable and respectable. To each their own. But it helps if you have the ability/fortitude to kick people out as soon as they start acting stupid. Lol.

Winds_of_Fate
07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
So, the other guy backed out on me due to having to be in Vegas three days after the con. So now I'm looking for 3-4 people to room with me. Or looking for a room to room in. If I'm rooming with someone that doesn't party I'm more than happy to just have a chillaxed weekend and not party.

Farasha
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
So, the other guy backed out on me due to having to be in Vegas three days after the con. So now I'm looking for 3-4 people to room with me. Or looking for a room to room in. If I'm rooming with someone that doesn't party I'm more than happy to just have a chillaxed weekend and not party.

I PMed you. I might know a couple people - I'll get back to you on that.

PandaPuff
07-31-2009, 11:43 PM
*de-lurks* Damn I live in Queens,NY with no reason to stay in a hotel but hearing Winds of Fate makes me wanna do/join a hotel party one day. xD I'm of drinking age btw.

*lurk*

Winds_of_Fate
08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
*ponders*
Well, I think I will go out on a limb with just this ONE con. I will open the room party to any interested individuals of legal drinking age not staying in the room. PM me for more info if interested. Will have some new rules for this one time only event. Will post when finalized. But as always, BYOA is a HUGE rule and will never be changed.

*ponders*

Could be the beginning of some new friendships...

PandaPuff
08-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I think I love you. :)

Winds_of_Fate
08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
So, new rules for those that aren't staying in the room.

1. Room will be opened at 9pm. Everyone will be "booted" at 1 am if you're not already gone.
2. If you somehow do not think that you can make it back to your room or hotel, you are able to stay.
3. PLEASE COME IN NORMAL STREET ATTIRE. No cosplays. I will not be held responsible if you come in cosplay.
4. If you drink, then be smart about it.
5. If you do not want to bring your own alcohol, find me and give me money, I will buy. (Only for of age people)
6. Rules posted before this and actually in the room apply. Both my own and the hotels rules.

Not sure the room number yet, find me at the con to get the room number and hotel.

DespairedPheonix
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
That is completely understandable and respectable. To each their own. But it helps if you have the ability/fortitude to kick people out as soon as they start acting stupid. Lol.

Heh. It depends on the person.

soeunkyo
08-02-2009, 11:26 AM
So the hotel rooms is a place to socialize and relax after the cons xD . I don't know if I need a room or not but let me know if you still have room. Still deciding in either staying or just a one day thing on saturday.

Winds_of_Fate
08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, pretty much.

DespairedPheonix
08-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Basically. I still have room in my room by the way.

Winds_of_Fate
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Just to make sure my numbers are correct, anyone staying with me or interested in staying with me PM me so I can make a final count. I've had a few people keep flip flopping on me so I'm trying to make sure my list is still good.

Winds_of_Fate
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Ok. Sorry for being quiet for so long. But school was keeping me too busy. Its officially 2 weeks from the con and I need to make sure how many are staying with me. MESSAGE me or reply on here with if youre still staying with me or would like to stay with me.

DespairedPheonix
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
My room's closed. just so everyone knows.