PDA

View Full Version : Weird comments about your costumes. . .

Tenshi
05-23-2002, 11:17 AM
I always love how my family and friends without my love for anime react to my costumes. Their comments are priceless. For instance, I was told I looked like an American flag in my Sailor V costume. My favorite, though, was about my Aeka costume. I was expecting Mom to say I did a good job, but she said instead, "What are you supposed to be? A colorblind ninja?"

Anyone else have some interesting comments regarding their costumes?

Rosiel
05-23-2002, 12:03 PM
I keep track of the weird comments people tell me. ^_____^

My personal favorite, at AX in my white Angel Sanctuary costume:

(Man): I'm sorry to bother you but my daughter thinks you're the tooth fairy, could you please ask her if she got the dollar you left on her pillow last night.

(Yes, before you ask, I did it, and the little girl was extatic.)

The best comment from a family member award goes to my uncle:

(Uncle, about Zoisite costume): Wow, why don't you wear that to work? It's so much nicer than your usual suits.

Third-child
05-23-2002, 03:05 PM
The best I have gotten, from family, is you do this why? And you look werid what are you..

LOL..

MyuMyu
05-23-2002, 06:15 PM
*thinks* well, last year at a Renn faire, my glasses broke, so i had to leave faire to goto the mall and get them fixed, and on my way in, there was a little girl passing by with her mom, and she tugged on her mom's shirt and said "Look mommy!! Its Esmerelda!!" ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;; too freaking cute. I dunno if that counts though 9_9

Rosiel
05-23-2002, 09:35 PM
> "Look mommy!! Its Esmerelda!!"

In the "Look mommy" style.... I was walking down the street at AX last year in my AS costume (yes that costume got a LOT of attention in the city of Angels ;) and I saw this little girl tug on her mother's skirt and say, very seriously, "Look mommy, I TOLD YOU angels DO exist!"

LOL

tsukinohime
05-23-2002, 11:01 PM
*giggles* You guys have some good stories. Mine aren'r quite as interesting, but I'll hope you'll suffer me posting them ^^;
From some random guy on the street on my May costume:
"Excuse me, miss, does that plug into your butt?"
From my dad, on Utena
"What did you say you were? Princess Hootenanny?"

Ayaka
05-23-2002, 11:39 PM
*dies laughing* Especially Princess Hootenanny, that got me. XD

Well the bellhop at the Anime Central hotel seemed completely oblivious to the fact that there was an anime con there, and didn't seem to know my Haruko costume was . . . well, a COSTUME. (How could he NOT know? I have no idea). But I ask for my bag, and he says - "Cool guitar! Can I play it?" and proceeded to do a little fake guitar solo (it was inflatable, what else could he do?).

Rosiel
05-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Speaking of bellhops... I will tell Katan's Ohayoucon do-ra-ma since she never posts. >__>

We dressed up as manga version Zoisite and Jadeite (no, it was not MACROSS! So many people thought it was Macross!) and at one point she took the elevator on her own.

People (non-con) came in and stared at her.
And then they screamed for her to "Push the d@mn button already!" because she "wasn't doing her job right".

They thought she was the elevator attendant.

LMAO

Ayaka
05-24-2002, 01:37 PM
. . . no way. OO ROFL! Though, I don't know what those outfits look like to be honest . . .

Medellia
05-28-2002, 11:51 AM
This is one I heard, and who knows, maybe it's a cosplay urban legend, but...
There was a Christen convention going on at the same time as some anime con or another (I know, isn't my detailed memory amazing?) and I imagine it was a weird experience for everyone involved. There was one person that fit in perfectly at both cons, and that was a Trigun costumer, dressed as Wolfwood, carry that huge cross!
On a personal level, I've gotten the "look mommy! an angel!" comment, as well as the "Are you in a play or something?"
I've found that for the sake of brevity, it's best to just agree with whatever they ask you. Best let them keep their illusions ^_~

shiroi_yukiko
05-28-2002, 08:32 PM
But what could be worse than having your wedding on the same day as a con (Shoujocon 2001)? ^_^ The looks on those people's faces were priceless. I guess they had no idea what they were in for, even though the hotel staff warned them... A group of the wedding guests were going to have lunch next to us in the restaurant but after staring for a few minutes got up and left!

ravenkira
05-28-2002, 09:00 PM
i was Yuna and someone asked me to hit them with my staff.....ummm...yeah they chased me down too until i did it ahhh scary ppl ^_^

Yggdrasil Pie
05-28-2002, 09:24 PM
lol!!

Once on halloween, I wore an Aeris costume to school.
Alot of people asked me who I was supposed to be.
Someone called me a "Pink Powderpuff Princess"

I got so angry! ^^;;;

Tenshi
05-28-2002, 10:54 PM
I think it would kick serious rear end to have my wedding the same date and time as a con *_*. But that's just me :P.

Medellia, that con didn't happen to be AX '01? LOL, there was a Middle-Eastern Christian convention going on at the same time, and the looks on these people's faces were absolutely priceless XD.

Tenshisama
05-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Mine would be family related too. My family had seen me as I worked on my entire costume, and being interested in whatever hobbies I take, I talked about how it had bunny ears and arm thingys, etc etc. The first time I tried on the full completed outfit at home my parents just looked at me and the first words were "it's strapless?" i'm wearing a giant poofy skirt, special slipper shoes, bunny ears with giant dice (rabi en rose) and their main concern was that it was strapless. lol then it was "gee, you could starch that backbow" I'm glad my parents are just so easy going about it, but I couldn't help but laugh.
It took my younger brother a little while longer to adjust, but he has adjusted well and even helped me with my costume at Sakuracon this year (making sure the bows were on straight... hair piece straight... etc) and he might do some minor cosplay with me next year ^____^

There was a Christian thingy going on at AX last year! But I do recall another story floating around from a different con last year... one of the smaller ones. I remember somebody posting about it to COSP... like... "isn't your area over there?" or something like that. anybody else remember?

MyuMyu
05-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Medellia
This is one I heard, and who knows, maybe it's a cosplay urban legend, but...
There was a Christen convention going on at the same time as some anime con or another

*laugh* actually, at AX01 there was a Jehovah's Witness convention going on at the same time and in a part of the convention center. It was right by the kareoke room if anyone saw it ^^;;;; okay, IM a mean person - i went past them a hundred or so times in my skimpy-est costume with my friend (who was also very scantily clad). Oh the look on their faces.... *laugh*

Yeha, i know. Im going to hell =D but at least the handbasket is comfy!!

kelldar
05-30-2002, 07:03 PM
I haven't gotten a lot of weird comments (is that a good or bad thing? :D)... but the weirdest one had to come from my grandfather just this past week. I was showing them the skeleton sort-of thing I'd made to support all the belts for my lulu costume... and my grandfather goes, "boy! looks like you're going to be tying some boys up or something!"
... what?! lmao!!

Annie-Mei
06-01-2002, 12:39 AM
When I went as a Gundam (f91) people thought I was a Samurai Warrior....When I went as Iria they thought I was straight outta Star Wars (didn't help that I stood next to a Storm Trooper when I was standing in line for something)

Ranma Saotome
06-01-2002, 12:26 PM
At Animazement, my ex said I looked like a ghetto ragged Ranma. :( So when her back was turned I hit her with my bokken! :)

Ranma Saotome
06-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by MyuMyu

*laugh* actually, at AX01 there was a Jehovah's Witness convention going on at the same time and in a part of the convention center. It was right by the kareoke room if anyone saw it ^^;;;; okay, IM a mean person - i went past them a hundred or so times in my skimpy-est costume with my friend (who was also very scantily clad). Oh the look on their faces.... *laugh*

I would've paid good money to see the expressions on thier faces! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MyuMyu
06-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

I would've paid good money to see the expressions on thier faces! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

for a small fee (j.k)

it was something like this= :eek: / :omfg:

Ranma Saotome
06-01-2002, 01:47 PM

for a small fee (j.k)

it was something like this= :eek: / :omfg:

Costumes: $50
Pass: $45
The Expressions on their faces: PRICELESS!

Hopage
06-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Tee hee

I was in the girls bathroom at Mikkakan washing my hands in a Boogiepop Phantom costume next to a Dejiko (Di Gi Charat), when a small girl around six started crying at the sight of us and her mother quickly whisked her away saying,
"Don't worry honey they're just confused, they think its Halloween"
Oh and I got a lot of strange; looks and out right laughter when I wore my Earth Girl Arjuna costume to school for Halloween, but the best one was
"What are you supposed to be, a carrot?"

Ranma Saotome
06-01-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Hopage
Tee hee

I was in the girls bathroom at Mikkakan washing my hands in a Boogiepop Phantom costume next to a Dejiko (Di Gi Charat), when a small girl around six started crying at the sight of us and her mother quickly whisked her away saying,
"Don't worry honey they're just confused, they think its Halloween"

Tell me you're kidding! :eek:

Nadeshiko
06-01-2002, 11:47 PM
For some reason, no matter what I'm wearing I'm always confused for Scarlett O Hara...

1) When I wore Koto at AX...

Random Japanese Person: Are you Miss O Hara?

It must have been the parasol I was holding with me. *lol*

2) When I was Eva Friedel for Halloween

Melissa: So where's your Butler?

3) When I was Francesca Cresentia (original character, heck, she's not even in the time period!)

Tina: Yeah, my friend thought you were Scarlett O Hara....

And then lovely comments from my family. Why, here's one when I was forced to use my white long Chinese dress (originally used for my Kim costume from Miss Saigon, those of you who seen the play know that she's an innocently dressed whore) because my Neo Princess Mars dress didn't come in.

Mom: So, you're going as a prostitute today?

Those are my stories. *lol*

Ranma Saotome
06-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Nadeshiko
For some reason, no matter what I'm wearing I'm always confused for Scarlett O Hara...

1) When I wore Koto at AX...

Random Japanese Person: Are you Miss O Hara?

It must have been the parasol I was holding with me. *lol*

2) When I was Eva Friedel for Halloween

Melissa: So where's your Butler?

3) When I was Francesca Cresentia (original character, heck, she's not even in the time period!)

Tina: Yeah, my friend thought you were Scarlett O Hara....

And then lovely comments from my family. Why, here's one when I was forced to use my white long Chinese dress (originally used for my Kim costume from Miss Saigon, those of you who seen the play know that she's an innocently dressed whore) because my Neo Princess Mars dress didn't come in.

Mom: So, you're going as a prostitute today?

Those are my stories. *lol*

Now, I'd feel so bad if I laugh... That's so wrong...

Asuka Langley
06-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Huahauhauhaua

Last day at school, so I decided to wear something different... and there I go with my karekano costume - a normal japanese school uniform - happy, singing, lalala... and comes a classmate and asks: "what are you? A flight attendent?"

*CAPOOOOOFT*
' I really don't remember my answer, but i do remember that i ran home and changed chothes right away!!!!! >< grrrrr!!!!!!!!! Never had courage enough to wear it again... well, this year, my friends made me wear it again on a presentation about Japan...
uuuugh...

*Asuka

Tenshi
06-02-2002, 03:16 PM
Hee hee, these stories are just too entertaining. I'm another person who wishes she had cosplayed in high school. The closest I ever came was wearing my band uniform (a monk robe -- looooong story) around school one day ^_^. Dozens of people walking around with hoods on kinda weirded out the school XD.

pookie-kun
06-03-2002, 04:14 AM
Well.. I got some pretty entertaining comments when I did my Visual Kei thing at Animazement. It didn't help any that I wore the costume to school that friday, and it was exam day, either.

Friend's mother who drove us to AZ: "Well, at least if you run out of money you have the costume to make it back again..."

Guy on our floor of the hotel: stroked his whip and stared at me and said 'rowr' as I walked past.. that was really scary, actually, instead of entertaining.

.. Yeah. *cough* ;)

Ranma Saotome
06-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by pookie-kun
Well.. I got some pretty entertaining comments when I did my Visual Kei thing at Animazement. It didn't help any that I wore the costume to school that friday, and it was exam day, either.

Friend's mother who drove us to AZ: "Well, at least if you run out of money you have the costume to make it back again..."

Guy on our floor of the hotel: stroked his whip and stared at me and said 'rowr' as I walked past.. that was really scary, actually, instead of entertaining.

.. Yeah. *cough* ;)

Uhm ok... I was at AZ, and I must've walked right past ya... Can you post or link to a picture with your costume?

pookie-kun
06-03-2002, 10:55 AM
I would if I had pictures.. once my friend gets them developed I can shuttle them to a friend to get them scanned.. I can't find any picture galleries online with me in them, though ;_; Here, however, is a crappy pixilated undetailed picture I took before the 'con with my webcam. http://www10.brinkster.com/leafykitty/costume.html

Ranma Saotome
06-03-2002, 11:06 AM
I would if I had pictures.. once my friend gets them developed I can shuttle them to a friend to get them scanned.. I can't find any picture galleries online with me in them, though ;_; Here, however, is a crappy pixilated undetailed picture I took before the 'con with my webcam. http://www10.brinkster.com/leafykitty/costume.html

I saw you! I was the tall black guy dressed as Ranma! :) And I'm sorry, I no have pic of you! :(

pookie-kun
06-03-2002, 11:19 AM
I think I might remember seeing you, but I'm not sure o_o my memory is like an imaginary sieve.. it looks like it might hold stuff for a few seconds at least, but it just falls through.. oh well ^^; like I said, my friend is getting doubles of pictures, and I'll be able to get them to another friend hopefully and get them scanned. Then I'll set up my own little gallery ^^

Medellia
06-03-2002, 06:05 PM
*lol* That's so cool! What costumes were they??

Ranma Saotome
06-03-2002, 07:55 PM
I think I might remember seeing you, but I'm not sure o_o my memory is like an imaginary sieve.. it looks like it might hold stuff for a few seconds at least, but it just falls through.. oh well ^^; like I said, my friend is getting doubles of pictures, and I'll be able to get them to another friend hopefully and get them scanned. Then I'll set up my own little gallery ^^

It's all good man. ^^

LiL QoH
06-03-2002, 09:28 PM
I wore my mai shiranui costume to school for halloween. You have to understand that 60% of my school is asian and people were like WHOA mai! Or WTF? lol Im suprised the dean didnt send me home to change they did make me wear shoes tho lol I brought sandles just in case

Ranma Saotome
06-03-2002, 09:47 PM
I once wore my Ranma costume to work. I believe that I scared both of my managers... It must've been the wig. :p

Xion
06-04-2002, 04:33 PM
Once I wore my Misao costume to school, and my teacher (I only have one teacher 'cause I'm homeschooled, ok?) asked if I was in my pajamas >.<

Ranma Saotome
06-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Xion
Once I wore my Misao costume to school, and my teacher (I only have one teacher 'cause I'm homeschooled, ok?) asked if I was in my pajamas >.<

Are you serious?! Some people simply make me wonder...