PDA

View Full Version : Making a GIANT anchor - Guilty Gear cosplay help?

Sachie
06-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh hai cosplay.com! I need some help!

I'm thinking about cosplaying May from Guilty Gear, as I love her costume design! The dress shouldn't be hard to make, but the anchor looks ridiculously hard! I really want to pull this off to have a nice costume. I was thinking about making the anchor this summer since I'm going to have alot of free time!

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make this? ^^;;
I was thinking about using coat hanger wires to make a frame, except now that I think about it, I have no idea how to do that...

REFERENCES:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/AmonK/Cosplay/a9341634.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Spiritgx/renders/may-guilty-gear.gif
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j237/clocknite1/nelsons%20ax06%20pics/_MG_2992.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/akumagrl13/guilty%20gear%20isuka/May/76584978.jpg

Thanks so much :geek:

mewmar
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I can't really help you but try this user: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/a43123/p7 she made one as well and has some in-progress pictures. Why knows she might help you if you ask.

Sachie
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh, okay! Thanks! That's very helpful! :D

Tatsu-chan
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
insulation foam?

Space Lion
06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I'll second insulation foam. It's great for large props that need to be lightweight and sturdy.

Sachie
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh, okay.

Is it expensive? ^^;;

Tatsu-chan
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I looked at the girls pics thats what she used to, at least for the bottom of it

Space Lion
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Is it expensive? ^^;;

Negatron. Well, I guess it depends on your definition of expensive, but you should be able to get enough foam to make that anchor with plenty left over for around $15 (US).

Learn everything you ever wanted to know and more about EPS insulation foam, aka extruded polystyrene, aka "pink" or "blue" foam, here (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=95725). BTW, the tutorial says Home Depot sells pink foam and Lowes sells blue foam, but this is not a rule. I've seen blue foam at Home Depot and pink at Lowes and vice versa. If it's called insulation foam, and looks like the pic in that thread, and you can pick up the entire sheet with two fingers, it's the right stuff. Good luck!

makeshiftwings
06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, okay.

Is it expensive? ^^;;

Yes, it is expensive. And yes, it is your best bet, unfortunately. You need something lightweight that you can actually carry around all day. You're gonna have to seal it afterwards, and gesso is a good way, and unfortunately that's also somewhat expensive.

A friend of mine did this cosplay also and she had a good idea to make her anchor come apart for easy transportation ^^ Just an idea.

Sachie
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Aw. I heard that this foamy stuff is also very brittle. I really don't want it to crack in the middle of a con. D:

I suppose I would still be able to make the same thing out of cardboard, except it would be alot heavier... D:

Tatsu-chan
06-25-2009, 02:02 AM
cardboard really wouldn't be a good idea because of the whole well its ardboard factor
I mean you could make it if you really wanted but it really won't look as good as this and this will not be brittle after ou seal it

Sachie
06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
.... D:

Seal it?

Sorry for asking so many questions. This is going to be the first prop that I make, and I want it to look good. [@_@];;

Tatsu-chan
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
you know like cover it in something that will keep it from being crap, someone said gesso earlier
I can't really offer any opinions on how to seal it sorry, but listen to people when they offer tips

makeshiftwings
06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
.... D:

Seal it?

Sorry for asking so many questions. This is going to be the first prop that I make, and I want it to look good. [@_@];;

You need to seal the foam so that you can actually paint it. If not, the foam will eat up the paint. You can use gesso or other things... just look up the insulation foam thread on this site.

Meanlilkitty
06-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey there, insulation foam can be found at any Home Depot or Lowes in a huge sheet for around $18. To seal the foam and make it more durable, you can cover it in at least six layers of oil based polyurethane. Just let each layer dry entirely and then coat it with another layer of poly. I made Paracelsus from Guilty Gear this way, and he's been kicking for a year without any dents. Hell, at Fanime I even got caught in a doorway with him and he didn't get hurt. It's late and I'm gunna sleep tonight, but if you have any questions, feel free to pm me and I can help you as much as you need. =D

Sachie
06-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Ah, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
You're so helpful! :)

blakjakknight
06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
holy shit don't use insulation foam!!!!! Especially the kind that you spray.................

My family runs a construction company,that kind of foam,knowing you will slowly build up the stuff......its freaking flammable, and poisonus.....

not just the light headness kind

the kind that causes CANCER,and DEATH!!!!!!!

My dad known a builder,that useed a bunch of it, the fumes got on him..some how it got ignited..and he soon received FULLY BODY BURNS!!!

You maybe be thinking he used an entire attic's worth,yet he used about about half as much as it would take to get your results you want!!!!

Spray paint on foam,causes the foam to melt and mix with the spray paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will cause CANCER, if you mix melted insulation and spray paint,also if you use tons of it,it will melt the foam drastically!!!!!!!

makeshiftwings
06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
holy shit don't use insulation foam!!!!! Especially the kind that you spray.................

My family runs a construction company,that kind of foam,knowing you will slowly build up the stuff......its freaking flammable, and poisonus.....

not just the light headness kind

the kind that causes CANCER,and DEATH!!!!!!!

My dad known a builder,that useed a bunch of it, the fumes got on him..some how it got ignited..and he soon received FULLY BODY BURNS!!!

You maybe be thinking he used an entire attic's worth,yet he used about about half as much as it would take to get your results you want!!!!

Spray paint on foam,causes the foam to melt and mix with the spray paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will cause CANCER, if you mix melted insulation and spray paint,also if you use tons of it,it will melt the foam drastically!!!!!!!

Uhm, plenty of people use it and don't get cancer. As long as she does a little research and takes the proper caution she will be fine. She's not going to be working with it every day. And it's not the spray stuff. Relax.

Space Lion
06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
holy shit don't use insulation foam!!!!!

RELAX!!! Two different things here....

We have suggested using EXTRUDED polystyrene foam, aka STYROFOAM, which is pre-formed and pre-cured and sold in rigid blocks at hardware stores. You are talking about icynene or polyicynene or polyisocyanurate or spray type polystyrene foams, which are far more dangerous (relatively) liquid chemicals that give off toxic fumes as they cure. Your heart is in the right place, but I'm afraid you've got the facts a bit mixed up. I know you're only trying to help. Just make sure you're giving the right info next time. :bigtu:

EPS insulation foam is basically the same thing as a styrofoam coffee cup. As long as you don't burn/melt it, you're good to go. Heck of a lot safer than other commonly used materials like fiberglass and bondo, as far as toxicity and fumes go. :crest: