PDA

View Full Version : Leg Armor tutorial?!

Habeeeb
07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I've searched the tutorial list and I can't seem to find anything on leg armor.
I'm looking for a tutorial for leg armor, up to the knee or even thigh.
Is there any tutorial dedicated to this?!
Thanks a lot!

Cheebes
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Aw, shame. I was waiting for a reply to this. D: Hoping one comes!

Chergnomebyl
07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
What kind of leg armor?

lany
07-12-2009, 01:33 AM
http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
idk what your a looking for exactly but this site helped me allot. it will give you light good looking stuff that looks like the real thing. used it to make my leia cosplay

Habeeeb
07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I've seen that tutorial but thanks anyway!
I'm looking for something like Reimi's leg armor
http://img.neoseeker.com/ca/star_ocean_4_conceptart_S92Ze.jpg
I just don't understand how to make the kneecaps and then the shin armor attach, or how to even fit it around your leg in the end, since it can't just slip on like armor for the arms..?

Cheebes
07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know what the OP is looking for, but I have a friend trying to make this:
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9521/charactercrusader3im.jpg
Dude on the left.
I think he's got the shoulders set, but it's the legs and arms that are proving to be tricky. Not sure what sorta shapes and stuff are needed, and what to mold it against. He's using wonderflex.

bankaiichigo987
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
i would use wonderflex for this

koi-ishly
07-22-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm looking for something like Reimi's leg armor
http://img.neoseeker.com/ca/star_ocean_4_conceptart_S92Ze.jpg
I just don't understand how to make the kneecaps and then the shin armor attach, or how to even fit it around your leg in the end, since it can't just slip on like armor for the arms..?

I've been looking for a tutorial as well, just to get an idea. Most leg armor I have found is only a front guard, not an enclosed leg guard.

This is how I plan on making mine.
(Anyone is welcome to correct my advice, considering I haven't tried it out myself.)
1st- Choose your materials. bankaiichigo987 said to use wonderflex, if you are a novice at this like me... I wouldn't go near that stuff. I'm going to be using craft foam/styrene, there are some great tutorials out there on how to use this stuff. I'm using it for flexibility, I need to be able to pull the armor away from my leg (my leg armor is very much like Cheebes image). If you need something more rigid then go with the wonder flex.

2nd- You have to have an armature. Make a cast of your leg. If it is a form fitting leg guard (cylinder like) then this is your best bet.

Your armor in the picture is slightly different than mine, you have a seam that runs along the side of the calf. Which is perfect for you. This is a break away point. You are going to make two half's. I would do this for mine, but my design only has one seam.

3rd- Attaching. What I am going to do is get knee highs and use velcro/staps/buttons to adhere the pieces to the knee highs. With the foam it is so light weight that it hopefully won't pull leggings too much but there are other ways around this problem.

Another option for you is (if you are not picky with design) I would do it in all foam. That way you could sew it onto a legging and the pull it on (carefully). The character you posted looks like to have very thin/tight armor, almost plastic but also fabric looking. Mine is based off of metal armor, and that is what I am going to recreate.

I hope this helps.

Oh knee caps! You can't have the leg armor attach to the knee... if you sit down then the knee cuff will stand straight up. I would just make a dome to cover the knee and make sure no gaps show while you are standing.

AznTranquility
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Get plastic sheeting
and poster board
with the poster board start tracing out patterns for the leg armor
then tape it all together, fixing this n that, adding more where ever you need to...then do your final product on the plastic sheeting!
for my leg guards, it consisted of a main tube with stuff built around for depth and bulk. I didn't do any attachments b/c I was able to slip my leg through (difficult)
Use rivets if you want mobility from leg guards to knees, to thigh guards. Good luck!

Sirblood
07-22-2009, 10:54 PM
There's a fairly easy way to get it to all fit togather. You can purchase chrome paint and various metallic paints. In order to get the pieces to fit like regluar armor I might suggest trying card board and lining it with hot glue. You can melt hot glue in a pie tin over a camp stove or a grill on low heat.

Then take a paint brush and brush it on. If you have troubles forming the card board, you can easily form sand and set the card board in the sand, then apply the hot glue. If you want to reinforce it for strapping puposes. Purchase a roll or fiberglass tape aka Drywall tape. put on 3 or 4 layers thick crossing directions for strength then apply the hot glue. When you're done you may want to apply 1 layer of poster board that you will be painting. You can get the poster board to stick to the card board using spray on adhesive, but I would suggest adding a little hot glue around the edges just to be sure it won't come loose.

An alternative method is using PVC. Purchase a large tube from a hardware store and cut it so its about the right length. Now you will need to cut a slit in the back side of it. Next find a very LARGE kettle fill it with water and bring it to a boil. set the PVC in the water for 1 minute, then take it out and pull it apart, it should be easy to form it to your leg. I would suggest wearing a pair of jeans. I would also suggest a bucket of room temperature water. When the PVC is formed, pour the water on it.

hope that helps

FullMetalSam
07-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Here is something that's hopefully going to help you.
I've been meaning to write up a armor patterning tutorial on my website - by drawing up this picture, I've just started it :)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/sambob3000/LegArmorPattern.jpg
On this picture you can see how you leg armor piece (the kneecap and shinguard) should look like "on paper" (in 2D). The "numbers" I've included in the picture are to show you what exactly in the 2D pattern will reproduce the 3D form you see in the picture.

1. This is a given - the rounded top between the 2 notch on the 2D pattern is to reproduce the fact the the shinguard is round at the top (not straight)

2. The notches you see on the 2D pattern are to make the shinguard "form-fitting) at the top (so it hugs your knee tight). Also it will create a rounded effect at the top of the shinguard so you have enough space for your calf.

How deep and how wide should those notch be ???
You'll have to figure that out by yourself - since everyone'S body is different. Work with a piece of cereal box cardboard to test this out and you'll find what you need. If you have a "cast" of your leg (maybe done in ductape (ductape dummy method)) - it's going to be very helpful. Doing it on your own leg is not the easiest thing to do.

By the way - these notches shouldn't be too wide or too deep - they are more pronouced in the picture I did so they would be easy to notice.

3. This rounded piece on the pattern is to create the rounded effect on the back of the shinguard where your calf is going to be. Again, how round should you make your 2D pattern to acheive the correct roundess in 3D is going to have to be trial and errors - so in the end you find something that fits you.

Also - the round part on the 2D pattern is too high to follow the calf on the picture... it would need a bit more farther down to be correct - so make sure you take that into account when doing your piece (the top of the "hill" on the side of your 2D pattern should match the highest point of your calf).

One more random tip on form fitting leg armor: Build it big enough so that you can walk with it. I'm referring to the calf space you'll have in that leg armor. When walking you calves flexes and get bigger. If your leg armor is really really close to your skin and you didn't leave enough space for your calves to flex in the armor - then it's either going to detach all the time or tear at a seam.

Form-fitting leg armor is the most difficult piece of armor to figure out - but once you have that 2D pattern layed out and you know it fits... keep it safe somewhere, you might need it for another project :)

Good Luck

Habeeeb
07-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow guys, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!
Excellent advice, I'll make sure to look into it all, this seems so much easier now :]