PDA

View Full Version : Weight stopping you from cosplaying?

Siaarn_Pookie
07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Have you ever not wanted to cosplay because you feel you're too overweight for the character you want to be? :/ I'm having trouble working up the courage to cosplay as my favorite characters because I'm a bit overweight, I don't mind other overweight cosplayers, most people can pull it off really well, I just don't think I could because I'm still a newbie cosplayer. Has anyone felt like this and overcome it?

Kilativ15
07-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Well i suppose theres the obvious to work out, but that itself is a pain in the ass. What you could do is maybe do a variant of the costume? I went as dante once, and I wore a black body warmer underneath with some bumps to give the impression of a six pack( Took ages to get right though).

Siaarn_Pookie
07-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Ohh, that's pretty clever, I thought of getting one of those shirts girls use for breast binding for crossplay too, not sure what my parents would say though XD

Meta77
07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
well not so much eight but my belly. im working on getting it completly flat to cosplay bull horn ichigo. since his stomachs flat. i dont want to have any belly sticking out even a little.

Siaarn_Pookie
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Damn bellies, even when you're not overweight they can stick out, good luck with getting a flat belly but don't starve yourself :P

caisse
07-18-2009, 11:10 AM
For Sakura's schoolgirl seifuku, I waited until I felt I would look much better in it. Unfortunately it's only given me about two weeks to complete the costume... It's no better than procrastination, it seems! :[

Kilativ15
07-18-2009, 02:38 PM
For Sakura's schoolgirl seifuku, I waited until I felt I would look much better in it. Unfortunately it's only given me about two weeks to complete the costume... It's no better than procrastination, it seems! :[

Dont overdo it mate. Cause when you diet your body will try to put as much fat on it from whatever food you eat during the diet, therefore theres a chance you wouldnt lose too much weight. I say walk or cycle everywhere.
Depending on the distance of course:P. Do some excersice in the morning when you wake up(will make you feel great as well). If you got time jog in the morning, even if its only 10 min, itl all com together in the end. And to quickly lose the weight with all this balance your diets. Cut out all the sugary crap from your ect.
Hope this helped:)

Yo-Yo
07-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Cosplay was my motivation for diet, yo!

ANYBODY overweight can lose it, it's not a 'disorder'. Have you ever seen a fat guy come out of a prison camp?

If you hate it enough, you just need to diet/exercise to get rid of it! C: Like I always say, if you have the energy to whine about it, you've got the energy to lose it. It's all under your control.

So, in turn, I told myself I'd never get over it until I got thin, so hell, I'm gonna get thin!
So far, I'm 15 pounds lighter than my heaviest. :'D Just about 10 more to go!

<3

refia
07-18-2009, 03:52 PM
If I ever get that feeling, I just bust my guts and work out like crazy.
I did that for most of my costumes, and I'm going to go even more crazy if I ever try to attempt Yoko from TTGL.

I wouldn't let weight get you down, if anything you should be motivated by the character to lose it! If you love the char so much, then why not?

Unless you're already at a healthy weight or rail thin... then, that's just self-confidence issues and a whole other can of worms.

RadRage
07-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I think when I see a really awesome character but I see that they're thinner, I feel like that inspires me more to lose the weight rather than stopping me.

...heh, so basically what was said above. xD

LxExplosionx93
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
My weight's not stopping me!
It's sure a motivator to get rid of it thought. I know I can't loose all my weight at once, and in the meantime, I'm still working on costumes. I'm not going to let it stop me from pursuing something that I enjoy. If I feel confident in my costume, that's all I need. I know how to dress for my body type, I know what will look decent on me and what won't, so for the time being I have no problem working around my weight.

Azumi29
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
This is why corsets and cinchers were invented!! They are a girls best friend! XD Unless you're showing midriff, then you're on your own.

Garen
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I started doing martial arts because of Ranma 1/2. That was before I had any plans to cosplay the character though, so I'm not sure if it counts. My Kenshin cosplay had a definite influence on my eating and exercising habits (exercising more than eating, though), along with a myriad of other personal care habits that I'd never bothered with much.

caisse
07-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Dont overdo it mate. Cause when you diet your body will try to put as much fat on it from whatever food you eat during the diet, therefore theres a chance you wouldnt lose too much weight. I say walk or cycle everywhere.
Depending on the distance of course:P. Do some excersice in the morning when you wake up(will make you feel great as well). If you got time jog in the morning, even if its only 10 min, itl all com together in the end. And to quickly lose the weight with all this balance your diets. Cut out all the sugary crap from your ect.
Hope this helped:)

Crash diets? Never! xD

I've been consistently eating less portion sized meals and cutting out fatty snacks (as both the size of what I ate and eating bad snacks were my biggest weaknesses) since the summer started, and I look and feel much better! My family and friends have noticed, which is always a nice boost, too. Cosplay was a great motivation to this, but just to better myself in my health and appearance was also such a wonderful reward, too. I hope to reach my full potential thanks to the success I've already been able to receive!

But, definitely, thank you for the tips - I really should be jogging a little/doing some sit-ups rather than just plain eating right. :]]

Exidous
07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I feel the other way around. . _ .

I don't want to cosplay certain characters because I feel too underweight....

Somebody thought I was anorexic at the last con I went to and kept telling me I should eat more.

Nobody wins.

LxExplosionx93
07-19-2009, 12:41 AM

Somebody thought I was anorexic at the last con I went to and kept telling me I should eat more.

Nobody wins.

So true.
I've started to realize there's just no way to make EVERYONE happy.
With cosplay or otherwise.

Exidous
07-19-2009, 01:58 AM
So true.
I've started to realize there's just no way to make EVERYONE happy.
With cosplay or otherwise.

Yeah,
Sometimes you just need to suck it up and move on. (Or they need to suck it up and keep opinions to themselves.)
I mean, I myself have been dieting to gain weight (my whole life really.) and to know people put down people for their BODY is pretty...low. And in a hobby about having fun? Psh.

Lucrezea
07-19-2009, 03:28 AM
I've restricted myself from a lot of cosplays that I want to do because of my weight. I'm not overweight, but I've been carrying a lot more than I used to "back in the day". Now that I'm losing the weight I find I have a lot more confidence to approach those cosplays I've been putting off for years. I don't think there's anything wrong with over or under weight cosplayers; this has just been a preference for myself.

MemoryOfAlessa
07-19-2009, 03:39 AM
This is probably my biggest problem. I won't cosplay any character, no matter how much I love their outfit and character, just because of my weight. It's stooped me down to picking characters that'll only look flattering on my figure. It does make me determined to lose weight though.

mokulen22
07-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm coming from a different angle...I lost the weight (a large amount) but still have the "battle" scars from childhood obesity. hurray! So it does stop me from cosplaying any character that shows too much skin. Apparently, pale skin is prone to stretch marks. :( I have them everything from the inside of my elbow to across my shoulder blades. Most people think they're operation scars.

Waikato_Valuta
07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
It stops me. I don't think it should, but it does. If someone wants to dress up I think they should go for it. But some people are really nasty and that puts me off. I dress up for me not for some maniac who thinks that all cosplayers should be stick figure asians.

I think if you have the confidence to step out in a cosplay outfit despite your weight then all the power to you. Just ignore those idiots who are constantly putting others down. If you have fun then that's what counts.

It has struck me that the cosplay world can be a little stuck up. (not offence intended. I'm sure you guys arn't like that). The only other place I have ever found such bitchness was at pony club. Of course there are lots of wonderful people who do it to. :bigtu:

That said I have yet to show my fat ass in public wearing a cosplay outfit. lol.

Kelley
07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm thin, although I hardly have a "flat" torso (and lack of doesn't bother me at all).

Although I realise that most anime/manga characters are unrealistically thin and/or tall, I have more experience with historical costuming - and a lot of it just looks better on people who AREN'T thin.

For instance, I'm planning on making a "19th Century" dress for my mother - but she's very thin and doesn't have much in the way of "curves". Honestly, the Victorian women's styles just aren't that flattering to such a figure - they really reach their full potential on a woman with enough fat to move around into the desired shape. You can add padding (which they did), but it's not the same, and I would feel odd asking my mother to pad her bust to attain the right look. O_o

Even the Regency dresses that everyone suggests when they hear about my mother's figure weren't exactly worn by really thin girls - they all had a good amount of bosom (and exposed especially in evening-wear !) and hips.

The men's clothing, too, doesn't really look its best on really thin people, either - though it's more forgiving than the women's clothing because of all the outer layers that can provide padding and a brief vogue for men wearing corsets.

Curucar
07-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Nobody wins.
Ditto. I'm 5'6"/110lbs and can't gain weight to save my life. Through my cosplaying years, I've learned that I can't cosplay average-sized guys to save my LIFE. It looks incredibly stupid-- thank gawds many character designs are thin and CLAMP-y right now. >_>

DarkBaroness
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
It stops me. Although I will wear corsets, simply because I love wearing them :)

As much as I'd like to do some cosplays, I won't embarrass myself or subject myself to misery because people have no problem insulting me.

ardhri
07-20-2009, 12:17 AM
My weight is definitely a factor when choosing my cosplays. I will never do a Sailor Scout or other bodysuit-requiring outfit simply because I'd feel terrible while wearing it.

Many things can be modified to suit a larger figure, but there are some things I just won't wear. :(

Kitylin
07-20-2009, 11:08 AM
It can stop me, yes. I've sworn off ever cosplaying Mew Ichigo (who has been a favourite character of mine forEVER) because I simply would never feel comfortable in that outfit with my size, because of my rather large chest, etc. >__> I'm not even overweight, either--I'm 145 and 5'6", which according to my doctor is a perfectly fine weight for me. I need to tone up. .__.

But that's okay. I guess.

Impure_Impulse
07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I skip out on cosplaying certain characters because of my body shape, because of weight, because of height, because of age, and because of gender. With other characters, none of these things really matter.

It really all depends on what/ who you're trying to do, where, and how you handle criticism.

Angel_Cakes
08-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Weight has never stopped me doing a costume. I did a Toph Bei Fong coplay in one of her most skimpy outfits and I loved it. I did try and lose as much weight as possible before the con, but after going through so much trouble making it then I am going to wear it(unfortunatly the top was cut to shreads before the con so I didn't wear it).
For some costumes I do wear a waist-cincher and bind my chest, but otherwise I just weat the costume no matter what. But, this is only because of a little motto I made up to cosplay by "I am over-weight everyday and I didn't let it stop me, so why should it stop me now?"

Alorelle
08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I really wanted to do Meroko from Full Moon wo Sagashite but I haven't because I feel like my stomach looks like I'm a few months pregnant or something. D:

I also recently backed down from my Assassin from RagnarokOnline cosplay because I felt I was too big to pull of my character.

So yeah. ;c It really sucks, you know ?

I started working out, but I don't think it's helping all that much. Maybe it's just me being silly or something~. I've been told I'm just overly self concious.

Megumi_chan5
08-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm definately on the larger side of things, but I've never let it stop me. I just pick costumes that aren't massively revealing, and structure them to be more flattering to someone my size. Things like skirt length, tailoring, seams, and fabric type are all things that can really camoflauge (or accentuate) flaws. Just be really aware of how things work on your body and you're fine.

JDscosplay
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I always want to be as accurate as possible, so i tend to avoid costumes that i dont think i can pull off. its just soo freakin frustrating cuz most animes are very unrealistic and unattainable body types!

Kizer
08-02-2009, 12:43 PM
if your too fat for a certain character, don't pull them off. That's what I think.

Saru-chan
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I feel you on the weight issue. I bought my Ouran jacket at a size 10 thinking it would still fit by the summer when I planned on wearing it. Stupid freshman 15 caught up with me, and I can barely touch my head in that jacket, let alone drive! My problem really is being a 36D, and wanting to cosplay Haruhi (little miss A cup) and Maka from Soul Eater (also an A cup). I really want to be able to cosplay Huntress from Batman who's outfit shows off a midriff. I plan on eating less sweets, and chips, and eating more salads. It also helps that my dorm is halfway across campus from everything else. I'm going to be biking and walking a lot.

Lady Marionette
08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
People have a tendency of calling me tiny because I"m short (5 feet), but by no means am I petite either! I know for sure I won't be able to pull off alot of the girl characters that I want to go for simply because I'm too embarassed about myself and the extra "flab" on my middle. Broad shoulders and thick calves can do that to you too. No super Clamp-y characters for me. D:

Liraelan
08-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Mine isn't weight, but height. I feel like I shouldn't cosplay characters like Haruhi from Ouran or basically any girl character because they're on the lower side of 5'. I'm 6' and 125 lb. Being a girl doesn't help. It's nice to crossplay, but sometimes I just want to be a girl and not feel ridiculous, or get "Omg, you're a tall character x."

Saru-chan
08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Mine isn't weight, but height. I feel like I shouldn't cosplay characters like Haruhi from Ouran or basically any girl character because they're on the lower side of 5'. I'm 6' and 125 lb. Being a girl doesn't help. It's nice to crossplay, but sometimes I just want to be a girl and not feel ridiculous, or get "Omg, you're a tall character x."

I'm the opposite. I'm barely over 5', but I want to cosplay tall characters like Yuko from xxxHolic or Marluxia from KH2. But I'm kinda stuck as shorter characters or kids.

squ33k t0y
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not really exactly overweight, but I'm pear shaped, and am very self-conscious about it. D:

It doesn't necessarily prevent me from making and wearing cosplays (unless it's super revealing), but I have my good days and my bad days, and sometimes I feel worse about it than others and can't go through with wearing something I've made ><

Kazephyr
08-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Weight and body type don't stop you from cosplaying. Personal insecurities do.

I say if you want to cosplay someone, don't let your looks stop you. Guess what? Cosplaying characters who are smaller/bigger than you won't kill you (or anybody else). ;)

That said, my weight tends to be flip-floppy, so I try to maintain a happy medium because I feel good (physically) when I'm at a healthy size. I'm a martial artist, so I don't like having extra weight to haul when I'm working on my balance. ^^;;

The only time weight gives me trouble with cosplay is when my weight "flips" when I'm making the costume, then "flops" when the con is coming around. :/ Growing/shrinking out of outfits is a problem, even if it's only by 5-10 pounds, and taking in seams is a pain. >_<;;

Stormraven24
08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
It really does hinder me, I think. I've always been very self-conscious about my appearance, and I'm not that comfortable with showing skin to begin with (it took a lot of convincing from my friends and a lot of mirror-checking before I left the hotel room in a sari wrapped correctly instead of trying to cover EVERYTHING), but there are so many characters I'd love to cosplay that do show skin. I'm going to try my best to lose at least some weight and fat before November for two important cons (to me, at least), and I've done okay so far: no soda for a week, coming from someone who could swim in the stuff XD

On one hand, I'm all for cosplaying a character regardless of weight or size, but personally it's not for me. I don't have that kind of confidence to walk around dressed as Catwoman or C.C. (R2 version) just yet. I've still got my wish list of cosplays, and some of them are skintight/revealing, but I'm gonna wait until I feel like I look good enough to try them :3

KittyLuck
08-03-2009, 03:14 AM
there is no way to solve my problem... my boobs are too big to play any younger character with a thin frame, like rikku. I would sooo love to cosplay as rikku. Best I can do is choose characters that fit the build I have... like Orihime or Shippuden Hinata

RydiaValentine
08-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Mmm no, since Im slim, don't have many boobs and Im tiny, whose stop me from cosplay are tall male/female characters and big-boob female characters (maybe I will do a few exceptions with Karin Koenig or Tifa, I don't know. Oh, the wonders of wonderbra xD). Well, wait a second, those are a lot xD. I don't look good cosplaying tall and big-boob characters, plus I don't usually like them (there are exceptions, of course). I like characters more similar to my body shape, Im lucky xD.

But if somebody want to cosplay a character just the opposite to their bodies, they can make it work if they put all their effort into it to look great! It's my personal opinion that overweight girls usually make the best and accurate costumes, although the characters are slim. Three of my friends are overweight and usually choose characters that are slim, but don't show too much, and they feel more comfortable that way.

Yangyugi
08-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I was so busy everyday at my company, so I couldn't do exercise enough! Losing weight is very important even not cosplaying... I'm still wants my weight is back to the past.

Shindou-kun
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I've had the same problem. I wouldn't call myself "fat," but I'm definitely at least 10 pounds more than I should be for my frame. It's a constant struggle trying to get back on the diet + exercise track.

The character I usually cosplay is a waif and he wears a midriff top. u__u; Aside from the weight issue, there wouldn't be a problem because I feel that I do a fairly decent job in pulling off the character. So when I'm cosplaying, I usually wear one of those flesh-colored body-slimming stockings. They do a good job of sucking you in. The only drawback is that they make me look like I don't have a belly button. XD But, damn, it's a better choice for me than subjecting an entire convention to my pouchy tummy.

HaremBunnies
08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Hmm. I think if your costume is good, weight doesn't matter. I see cosplaying as more of an art medium or an expression tool. Not a modeling contest. That's a special part of the convention. Personally, I just use my assets. (Boobs! :D) But next year, my mom wants to cosplay with us, and she's big, too. So for her we work with her. For our Musashi group, she's going to go as Master Mew (a short, fat, male cat with a beard). And for pokemon, she's doing Bertha (an older, larger woman). If you can, use your shape to your advantage. I see a lot of bigger girls do (I think her name is) Tsunade? (I don't watch Naruto. Dx The blonde with the boobs!) Because they have the chest. You don't have to be perfect. And I think you quickly forget about your nerves when you have people coming up to you left and right to get a picture. ^^ No matter who or what you do, someone will appreciate it. :3

princesserenity
08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
i am 5ft9 and i use to cosplay as sailor moon i am also in the 200lb range i pulled it ouff i made it flattering to my body sailor moon is 4ft11 people at conventions said i was tall for sailor moon lol if you enjoy cosplay dont let your hight and weight stop you just have fun with it

AlbinoPlant
08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Cosplay was actually the original motivator for me to lose weight. I am semi-self-conscious about my weight, but I typically do not pick characters with revealing/tight/form-fitting outfits, so I don't feel insecure when in cosplay.

piplool
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I usually choose the more revealing, skin tight or provocative outfits xD
I'm not huge, but I am untoned but cosplay has definitely been a big motivator.

Not only that, but the thought that people will be taking my picture and my friends will be there too. I get really competitive, so I want to make better costumes, buy better wigs and generally outshine all my friends lol. So with weight, it's the same. I don't care about losing weight, since I'm at a healthy stance right now, but I care about LOOKING great :D

Ulqorimiforever
08-09-2009, 11:24 AM
weight was always an issue for me but sometimes i don't let it stop me from having a nice time and it includes cosplaying. For me when it comes to choosing a costume character is decide based on my body type. Cosplaying can be motivation as well. The more I cosplay the more I want to portray many characters, big and small. So I made some healthy decision in my life such drink less soda and more water, completey laid off sweets in my life, and even have a 30 min jog on weekdays. But thats just me.

Lennester
08-09-2009, 03:15 PM
sometimes but i have a friend name louai whos nick name is cave man and the dude weighs 300+ something but he still cosplays or just wers tripp pants ^^

Miss Delusion
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Im very low on the self esteem (lately hit rock bottom, was a bit tired though), so i think i look bad in almost everything haha~
A personal motivator for me is other people, when they say i look good it makes me feel so much better its crazy. It can also make you feel better when you wear something that makes you look good :)
All i need to do is tone up a bit, maybe do some jogging and i'll be fine, but imma too lazy and the weather hates meh >>

Nekko
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
ANYBODY overweight can lose it, it's not a 'disorder'. Have you ever seen a fat guy come out of a prison camp?

Actually there ARE diseases/ disorders that make it hard or impossible for people to lose weight. And in prison camps as you so callously mentioned the people are so starved of nutrients that their bodies eat themselves. So unless someone signs up for the *Prison Camp* Method that will never be a accepted diet plan.

A few diorders that cause weight gain or lack of loss.
Hyperthyroidism
Insulin Resistance
Insomnia/ sleepwalking/ sleep eating
Diabetes

I am about 40lbs over weight according to the internet. Im not insanely huge because I carry it pretty evenly. But that does not mean I won't jiggle if I decide to cosplay Rikku from Final Fantasy. I just try to choose cosplays that don't show too many of my problem areas.

Ulqorimiforever
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Actually there ARE diseases/ disorders that make it hard or impossible for people to lose weight. And in prison camps as you so callously mentioned the people are so starved of nutrients that their bodies eat themselves. So unless someone signs up for the *Prison Camp* Method that will never be a accepted diet plan.

A few diorders that cause weight gain or lack of loss.
Hyperthyroidism
Insulin Resistance
Insomnia/ sleepwalking/ sleep eating
Diabetes

I am about 40lbs over weight according to the internet. Im not insanely huge because I carry it pretty evenly. But that does not mean I won't jiggle if I decide to cosplay Rikku from Final Fantasy. I just try to choose cosplays that don't show too many of my problem areas.

I agree with you when you typed Diabetes. I know some people that have that issue b/c of diabetes. They eat what is nessarry, excerise twice as much and still lose less then 2 pounds. Its a pain.

Nekko
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I know. I just hate people like that. Like being fat is because people are LAZY and just need to HIDE the COOKIES.
My sister was like that untill she realized that the only differences between us was she had a super high matabolism, Her first 2 years of high school she gained 30lbs and she wasn't so smug afterwards.

Piobaireachd
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Due to a genetic thyroid problem, it's very difficult for me to lose weight. On the second half of 2008 I lost about 33 pounds due to a new medicine my endocrinologist prescribed me, but I'm still a little overweight.

My weight has stopped me from cosplaying some characters, as I woudn't feel confortable wearing costumes that are too skinny or expose too much skin. I pick my cosplay choices basing myself on clothes which I would feel nice wearing, not on the weight of the actual character. My last cosplay (Kaz from Pangya), for exemple, is really thin, but as loved his pirate suit and was a great fan of the game, I decided to cosplay him.

Cosplay has helped me finding happiness after years being bullied by people on my school because of my weight. When I did my first cosplay (Professor from Ragnarök) I was really overweight. While I was wearing the costume, everyone that talked to me on the convention only asked for photos or said nice things about the cosplay; for the first time ever no one was calling me fat or laughing at me. That was such a incredible feeling that I continued to cosplay and nowadays, even if I'm still overweight, I'm not sad about my body like I used to be ^^

fadedsunrise02
07-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Yes, it absolutely does ><;
Plus the fact that I'm an absolute newbie at sewing does not help in the LEAST-I wouldn't be able to expertly hide my fat with more fabric.

People say to just pick a character with more fabric on their clothing, but I still fell like it wouldn't be right, and that it would be obvious still that I don't have the right body...

Lammy
07-12-2010, 01:19 AM
people shouldn't criticize others just cause of weight and i hate when people judge others. And i kinda wish those who were blessed with high metabolism gain the weight and see how the other side feels before they poke fun and laugh.

saimon
07-12-2010, 01:26 AM
The only time my weight bugs me for cosplay is if I wanna be someone who shows their belly and my belly ain't flat enough to be shown off...so I have to take a pass on those cosplays. ;-;

Methearts
07-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Yes, it absolutely does ><;
Plus the fact that I'm an absolute newbie at sewing does not help in the LEAST-I wouldn't be able to expertly hide my fat with more fabric.

People say to just pick a character with more fabric on their clothing, but I still fell like it wouldn't be right, and that it would be obvious still that I don't have the right body...

Ungh, I totally understand how you feel. I know there ARE ways to alter costumes by adding darts and general shape to the garment I just haven't figured out how to do it yet. I tend to just make things too big in an attempt to hide everything, which really is not very effective.

people shouldn't criticize others just cause of weight and i hate when people judge others. And i kinda wish those who were blessed with high metabolism gain the weight and see how the other side feels before they poke fun and laugh.

I totally agree with this. I often look at people who are on the larger side that are cosplaying thinner/smaller characters and (as long as it's done tastefully and doesn't look like its a million times too small and painted on) I find that alot of the time the costumes are finished almost at a higher level than the same costumes done by smaller people because they feel that they have to put in the extra effort. I'm totally proud of people who are on the larger side and are able to walk out and be like 'yeah, I'm not a stick but I love this character, and I worked damn hard on this costume so I'm going to show it off!' I totally don't have the balls for that XD

I'm not huge (10-15 pounds overweight), but I'm totally lacking in the self confidence area, and I always seem to want to make costumes that are totally inappropriate for my body type anyways XD
For example my S1 TK who is a short 8-9 yr old boy, when I'm a 5'8" female with two very large and hard to propperly bind E-cups.

onewingedjade
07-12-2010, 02:04 AM
You know, there's so many characters I'd love to cosplay, and I just refuse to do them because they're so revealing. Partially because I'm modest and partially because I just don't have the body for it. I'm not bad, but even with a few extra pounds I feel like people would look over and go 'yikes...'

But after reading that one thread about wanting to cosplay characters and everyone mostly letting their insecurities be the only thing stopping them, I'm just giving up that mentality. I've decided to really get in shape to help overcome the insecurity I have. I feel like people often envy super fit cosplayers, but I'm sure they must work hard for those bodies, so I plan to do the same. I'm tired of letting 5-10 pounds come in between me and my dream cosplays...

Lammy
07-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I totally agree with this. I often look at people who are on the larger side that are cosplaying thinner/smaller characters and (as long as it's done tastefully and doesn't look like its a million times too small and painted on) I find that alot of the time the costumes are finished almost at a higher level than the same costumes done by smaller people because they feel that they have to put in the extra effort. I'm totally proud of people who are on the larger side and are able to walk out and be like 'yeah, I'm not a stick but I love this character, and I worked damn hard on this costume so I'm going to show it off!' I totally don't have the balls for that XD

yes how true i wish I had their gutsiness and say i don't care what people think. *sigh* i wish i had skills to make my own costumes.. >< well, step one for me at least is losing some pounds before otakon. XD

Elegant Balance
07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
It's not about being on a diet or exersice, then going back to the previous lifestyle. It's about staying with it. Eat healthier, don't eat fastfood too often, go on a ten minute walk/jog. Whenever your watching tv, do sit ups or push ups. Little things like that. Oh! And drink water. It'll help alot more than you know. So far, I've lost alot of weight. Recently, I've added 3 hours of pilatees a day because I'm not at gymnastics all the time any more [Sad face:(]. Well, that's all the advice from me!
P.S. This does take commitment. =3

Serenith
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
It won't stop me from cosplaying, BUT it had stopped me from cosplaying characters I would have like to cosplay.
I'd really love to do Black Rock Shooter, but I just do not have the stomach or thighs for her.
Also there are many other cosplays I'd like to do, but they're revealing like my example.

Because of this I've decided I need to eat healthier and work out a bit more. Along with this I'll be working on getting all my flexibility back.
I know I won't ever have stick legs, I did gymnastics for 13 years and my legs became trunks of muscle. Especially my thighs. But I know I have fat to loose, and I want it gone.

DandyPianist
07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
honestly ppl tell me im not fat and stuff and i look good and i mean i guess i really aint as fat as i may think to other ppl because im 6,5 at the age of 16 but it does kinda impact on what i wear i mean im not really a cosplayer as much as a dandy which is just a style of cloths that most ppl dont know exist....=(. and i mean im not in the overweight zone for my height but i do have man boobs and a big belly and the legs:l rather not...but it really just seems that my type of clothing was not made for fat ppl its more like i guess skinny...idk very much im just know getting into the style of cloths myself...but i mean when im out at places i really dont care how fat or skinny a person is i mean if someones nice and is having fun then why give them bad looks...umm though at the moment im making me some new Dandy cloths that looks super wicked just gotta lose the small top hat make it big and get rid of the cat ears then it will be perfect xD i dont mean ive started it yet but once its finished i suppose ill be bette looking and stuff so hey i dont really care about wearing it after that...umm just a word of advice "dont worry about cosplaying because your big'' or something i mean ive never thought the ppl who did it were bad looking i mean half the time i wanted to walk over and say something like dude you looks cool or stuff like that i wanted to join them though xP ive only seen these ppl at school or the mall cause iv never been to any of then anime con things wanna go but not able to....=( anyways umm i guess ill end this note by adding to the type of cloths i wear anyone interested in knowing more about the types there are feel free to ask me i enjoy answering questions i know and would like to hear ppls opinion....umm heres like a list of the types i know about....girls types-lolita (note theres like 15 or so types of lolita going from injured to princess and country all sorts) umm for men really not many types just the two which are kodona(this is like the typ of cloths young princes wore back in old days also shown on animes alot) and Dandy(this is more of an adult type of look its basicly black suits and black top hats kinda the style of clothing from the anime D, gray man (love that anime x3) umm.....i guess thats about it ive went way off subject already srry x3 umm thats everything and goodluck for anyone trying to lose weight! :3 :thumbsup:

Methearts
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
@ DandyPianist
omfg yes, dandy!!! I wish there were more dandys.
I really don't think anyone (no matter their weight) can look bad in propperly fitted dandy clothes. They're just so well put together, and stylish. Also it mimics a different era, and people tended to be larger back then anyways.
/offtopic.

F. Silverberg
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Um, it's great that everyone wants to get in better shape here (outside of that guy on the first page), I just want to warn you guys about something which someone touched on:

Even if you lose weight, even if it's a lot of weight, if the problem is your insecurities, then you won't be happy with how you look regardless of how much weight you've lost, or even how much muscle you've put on.

I've experienced this first hand, and to be honest, even with the way I look now, I'm still not happy with the way I look. I am significantly healthier and will probably have a much better quality of life though in the long-term.

I don't want to discourage people from eating better and being more active though, virtually everyone could be in better shape than they currently are, but sometimes the problem isn't how your body looks, it's how you view your body.

DireKitty
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Um, it's great that everyone wants to get in better shape here (outside of that guy on the first page), I just want to warn you guys about something which someone touched on:

Even if you lose weight, even if it's a lot of weight, if the problem is your insecurities, then you won't be happy with how you look regardless of how much weight you've lost, or even how much muscle you've put on.

I've experienced this first hand, and to be honest, even with the way I look now, I'm still not happy with the way I look. I am significantly healthier and will probably have a much better quality of life though in the long-term.

I don't want to discourage people from eating better and being more active though, virtually everyone could be in better shape than they currently are, but sometimes the problem isn't how your body looks, it's how you view your body.

True, and for most people, seeing the change that can occur with exercise and a good diet can vastly improve their perception of themselves. Putting on a smaller size of jeans, being able to lift a few more lbs can put a smile on your face and give you encouragement. Learning new recipes and realizing that eating health can taste good can make you feel empowered over your diet.

No one is perfect. Most people will say "Well, I guess I look okay... buuuutttt" and that's just how society is here. The grass is always greener on the other side. There's always that new product that will make you look better, stop those wrinkles, make you lose weight overnight and give you abs of steel while cooking your dinner... and everyone needs to look better because so-and-so is just so damn sexy and you want to be them. It doesn't matter if you were labeled the worlds sexiest man/women, you will never be happy because of that freckle, mole or little skin tag on your leg. The sooner we live in the moment, and stop worrying about everything/everyone else, the sooner we will enjoy the smell of the roses, the wind in our hair and that cute little chipmunk that keeps trying to trip you as you jog down the street(little bugger is gonna get it one day!).

F. Silverberg
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
True, and for most people, seeing the change that can occur with exercise and a good diet can vastly improve their perception of themselves. Putting on a smaller size of jeans, being able to lift a few more lbs can put a smile on your face and give you encouragement. Learning new recipes and realizing that eating health can taste good can make you feel empowered over your diet.

No one is perfect. Most people will say "Well, I guess I look okay... buuuutttt" and that's just how society is here. The grass is always greener on the other side. There's always that new product that will make you look better, stop those wrinkles, make you lose weight overnight and give you abs of steel while cooking your dinner... and everyone needs to look better because so-and-so is just so damn sexy and you want to be them. It doesn't matter if you were labeled the worlds sexiest man/women, you will never be happy because of that freckle, mole or little skin tag on your leg. The sooner we live in the moment, and stop worrying about everything/everyone else, the sooner we will enjoy the smell of the roses, the wind in our hair and that cute little chipmunk that keeps trying to trip you as you jog down the street(little bugger is gonna get it one day!).

This is all true and I do not dispute any of it. I also will not dispute that by losing weight and improving my body significantly, my self-confidence (or rather, my ego and vanity) have shot up by a factor or 2,000.

However, it's not easy to get over something that has affected you for your entire life (in my case, 20+ years), so I just wanted to throw that warning out to people.

It's also very, very important to note that not everyone looks the same even in their ideal state.

Haruka-papa
07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Eh, my weight has stopped me from cosplaying in a way. I would LOVE to try to cosplay more curvy characters, women with womanly hips and boobs and whatnot, but I'm built like a toothpick with no junk in the trunk or front. It helps me crossplay, since I have little/nothing to bind, but it limits some female characters I'd like to do.

But I'm breaking out of that and cosplaying Black Canary in September anyways. :] So what if I lack her figure?

H0TARU
07-16-2010, 01:39 AM
My weight won't stop me from cosplaying/crossplaying~
I'll always try to keep myself from getting too big/too unhealthy...
I just found out today that my blood pressure was "pretty" high, so I'm going to lose weight while keeping cosplay as my motivation OwO.

Dante_XXX
07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
yea i felt like my weight sorta slowed me down on cosplaying but i just thought to self who cares wat other ppl think so i bought my devil may cry 4 outfit and if ppl dont like it they dont have to look at it..though for skimpy outfits like that one chick that wears that flame bikini thing i guess it could matter a lil bit wither ur in right shape or not ppl will find a way to make fun of others you or others...its sad rly

-_-Ichigo
07-19-2010, 07:41 PM
My weight kind of stop me from cosplaying. Especially characters that I really like a lot. I always cosplay characters that is cover up. But characters that I would love to cosplay are Rikku from Final Fantasy, Ulala from Space ch 5, and Black★Rock Shooter but they show to much skin for me. Even Rabi en rose from Di Gi Charat, and Mint from Tokyo Mew Mew, I won’t fell comfortable if I cosplay them.

89th_Alice
07-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Which is why you should also listen to other people their opinions. Most of the time when people say you look good/ have beautiful eyes/legs/hair/whatever, they really do mean it. So keep in mind that while you may not be completely happy with some part of yourself, others may think it is just fine -or even be jealous!

Listening to what others -especially people who's opinion you value- think about your body can help a lot in feeling better with what you have.

F. Silverberg
07-19-2010, 11:19 PM
ignore

Ashe Nyte
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I've been working on loosing weight, which is an insanely had war to fight alone when everyone else around you is eating fried chicken constantly lol, but I have stretch marks everywhere. I'm really self-consious when it comes to them. I'm still a newbie to the cosplay world and I planned on making my debut at a con in Atlanta in a few months as Hatsune Mikuo and Honne Dell, but the costumes I found show quite a bit of skin under the armpits and that's where a lot of my marks are. I can't sew yet and these are the only costumes I found in my size, it's hard to find stuff to fit you when you're 6'4. Does anybody have some advice on how to make stretch marks less noticiable?

89th_Alice
07-20-2010, 01:00 AM
ignore
???

Did I say something to offend you?

Kasinator
07-20-2010, 08:15 AM
???

Did I say something to offend you?

No you didn't he edited the post. he was just saying to disregard that last post he made. :D You are absolutely right. Listen to others compliments before your own self loathings. :bigtu:

distantarray
07-20-2010, 12:20 PM
The most important thing about cosplaying is confidence. You can have the best costume out of a convention most accurate down to pubic hair and if you can't take a criticism then your day will be ruined. There are plenty of people that can't accurate pull something off, but just gotta learn to be as accurate as you can without it.

Like there's a fat black Rock Lee from Naruto that basically became a youtube cosplay celebrity. If he was self conscious you think he would've ever wore spandex? probably not. It's all about attitude. If you let people's shit get to you, it only fuels the fire. If someone says something and you walk away with confidence then you just ruined their day not the otherway around. People talk shit to get attention, don't bother giving them any and you'll be fine.

89th_Alice
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
No you didn't he edited the post. he was just saying to disregard that last post he made. :D You are absolutely right. Listen to others compliments before your own self loathings. :bigtu:
Haha, ok. I was completely puzzled by it and worried I said something wrong ^-^;;

Hammiekia
07-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Next year, I'm hoping to do Jessie from Pokemon. That would require some stomach-showing and some short-skirting.
I'm not too fond of showing off my skin. As of right now, I'm 5' 7''-ish and around 170 lbs. I don't look all THAT fat, but enough for me not to want to show skin.

What I really care about is what other people think when they see chunky cosplayers showing that much skin. I know people say that it shouldn't matter what others think, but for me, it does.
So, what do you think when you see chunky cosplayers?

89th_Alice
07-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Hmmmm, I mainly think "that character wasn't that chuncky ^-^;;"

I think people should stick with cosplay that suits theit body, that way it looks best. And it helps in portraying the image. A fat Sailor Moon just isn't Sailor Moon, same goes for a really skinny Hulk ^-^;;

So I would say stick with cosplay that suits your body, while you can always work on getting that perfect body for another cosplay. (If you work for it you'll be rewarded!)

Yukikittie
07-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah.
I won't do a few cosplays because of my weight. Lol.