PDA

View Full Version : need some help with a Madonna cosplay!!!

Hitomi chan
08-11-2003, 10:24 PM
hello everyone. I'm obsessed with Louis XIV time outfits and I really want to make the dress that Madonna used in the vma's for her Vogue performance. I need some help with some images 'cause I don't have the video _ If you have any I would appreciate that very much!!!!!
Oh, one other thing, if you have any idea of making the thing that those dresses use under the skirt I would be very thankful.

Mandy Mitchell
08-19-2003, 02:33 PM
You can always go through your local library to look up Louis XIV. They have tons of historical costuming books with wonderful reference pictures.

julie minako
08-20-2003, 11:53 AM
hello everyone. I'm obsessed with Louis XIV time outfits and I really want to make the dress that Madonna used in the vma's for her Vogue performance. I need some help with some images 'cause I don't have the video _ If you have any I would appreciate that very much!!!!!
Oh, one other thing, if you have any idea of making the thing that those dresses use under the skirt I would be very thankful.

MADONNA RULES!!!
good choice!!!!!! :heart:
sorry but i dont have how to help u!! :waaaah:

Koumori
08-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Are you talking about panniers? There are plenty of historical pattern companies that sell patterns for those - and for the robe a la francaise/a l'anglaise (don't recall which type is used in the video) as well. My favorite for undergarments - you'll need panniers and a Georgian period corset, at least - is The Mantua-Maker, but there are many others. There's an excellent review of historical patterns at www.gbacg.org .

Kabuki
08-20-2003, 04:27 PM
www.jpryan.com

www.5rivers.org

its a robe ala francaise...mantua maker's Robe is 100% accurate to an earlier style as it is BASED off the 1745 gown in the Victoria & Albert Museum...But Madonna's is a later style when the bodice was cut seaperatly from the skirt...(circa 1770) Jpryan's pattern is very clean cut and easy to understand (the pet en l'air pattern makes a full francaise gown when lengthened) the Mantua Maker gown is also meant for a full court hoop...whereas Madonna is wearing a half hoop/pocket hoops(panniers) (in the performance she pulls up her petticoat and you can see her undergarments)

Hitomi chan
08-22-2003, 11:58 AM
woooooooowww!!! thanks so much for the sites!!! I'm still thinking if I would make Madonna's dress or antoher from my own inspiration... anyway, those sites are too much useful!!! thanks to everyone.

daria_jack
08-22-2003, 05:58 PM
I wanna do Madonna too. I'd like to do her material girl dress (maybe coz I'm obsessed with Marilyn Monroe), and I really love her Vouge video too, some really nice suits. Oh, and some of her Hollywood video outfits