PDA

View Full Version : detangling discovery: silicone spray lubricant

ChilmarkGryphon
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
So. Since finishing my Rider cosplay I've had a bedraggled waist-length wig hanging out in my room. It became hopelessly tangled the first time I wore it, and I never managed to get it untangled or defrizzed to a point where I could comb it; not with fabric softener, hair conditioner, or any other product lauded for its synthetic wig conditioning powers. But at long last, I have tamed the monster, using a product you can probably find at your local hardware store for under $5!

3 IN 1 Silicone Spray Lubricant (http://www.hardwareworld.com/3-IN-1-Silicone-Spray-Lubricant-11-Oz-Spray-p9W79PM.aspx)

It's basically silicone + petroleum distilates, a concentrated version of the two ingredients in human hair conditioner that serve any purpose on synthetic fiber. The petroleum products evaporate away, leaving an invisible film of silicone molecules.
Other brands people have used successfully include
- Motomaster Silicone Lube (post #29 (http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3116080&postcount=29)) (Canada)
- Super Power Silicon (Roxicle's gallery (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2449423/)) (Finland)

Before you decide to go mad science on your wigs, a few words of caution.
- Try not to breathe it. It's not particularly volatile, but be careful. Either work outside or establish ventilation.
- It's flammable. Just like wig dye, hairspray, and 99% of things that come out of pressurized metal cans.
- Avoid getting it on anything you don't want to be slippery. Especially floors. It can be removed with rubbing alcohol.
- It eats latex gloves. Wearing gloves might have seemed like a good idea to some of you, but apparently it's not. Thanks for the heads up (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=3590383), Fechan!
- When using another brand, check the ingredients. I've only used 3-in-1 and cannot vouch for any other brands. Some brands contain acetone, which will melt the wig hair. Other brands (Liquid Wrench) contain naphthenic oil instead of naphthene, and will stay oily unless stripped with alcohol.
- If you're using a different spray lubricant, or using it on a wig that's been dyed, Oil Sheen'd, hairsprayed, etc, DO A TEST PATCH FIRST.

Okay, on to procedure! I've altered the process somewhat 10 or 15 wigs down the line...

1) Affix your wig into something secure, ie a clamped wig head. If your wig is ridiculously long, you can pad the top of a door and put the wig on that, which will put the ends (usually the most tangled part) at a good working height. Spray whatever combs you're going to be using with silicone.

2) Spray the ends of your wig with silicone: the ends of your wig are the mostly likely to frizz from being stretched and tugged on, so you want them to be slippery to prevent this. If you hate the smell you can leave it for a while until the petroleum distillates evaporate. If not, just start combing the ends out, working from the bottom to the top.

EDIT: I realize now that spray may have been an ambiguous term. YOU'RE TRYING TO MIST THE HAIR, NOT MAKE IT DRIPPING WET. Apologies to anyone who ended up with a greasy-looking wig because of my bad directions ;____;

3) Once your ends are freed up enough for you to part off sections of it, start working on small hanks. Be gentle; if you can't get a knot out give it an extra shot of spray and try again.

4) After you've got all the tangles out, your wig might be frizzy at the ends, especially if it was badly matted to begin with. There's no product you can use to get these out: instead, you'll have to carefully heat and comb the fiber to relax them out. The hot water method will work for this, but I find it's easier to use a garment steamer. Be careful; steam is hotter than boiling water.

Before and After
- Demonstration on a Godiva XL, with notes (http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/chilmarklj/wigdetangling.jpg). I *tried* to make a video of the process on this one, but iMovie 08 doesn't feel like making clip speed adjustable and I don't feel like posting an hour-long video of me brushing hair.
- After image of a Rider wig. (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2151264/) I neglected to take a before, but it was a wreck. This is before I figured out the steaming trick.
- Roxicle's Nia Teppelin Wig (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/175008/). It works on curly wigs, but it relaxes the curls.

Other Observations
- Tonksie notes that it does not take the color out of hand-sharpied wigs. Link. (http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3408556&postcount=78)

Ahja Reyn
07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
*_____* This sounds amazing. I will definitely try it out!

Lucrezea
07-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Do you have before and after photos?

Technowraith
07-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Sounds like a saving grace for my Reno wig. ^.^ Reno's kinda mad at me for his frizzy hair problems right now. LoL.

ChilmarkGryphon
07-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't have a before, but I have an after. (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2151264/) It was a complete wreck before; I was going to throw it out.

Mangochutney
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing if this has any residual effects on how much it tangles while being worn afterward.

chisainekocat
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
This sounds great! Does it smell afterwards at all?

ChilmarkGryphon
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
@MangoChutney: The slipperyness pretty much stays put. I put it on this morning and wore it around for a while to see how it behaved. It started looking mussed up after the usual 15 minute period (at cons I tie the hair into tiny bundles to keep it neat), but fingercombing it neat again didn't result in the usual fistfuls of ratty kanekalon.

@Chisainekocat: It's got this sort of cloying sweet chemical smell when you put it on, but I think that's mostly the petroleum carrier, which evaporates away. There's still an odor but it's very faint, like hairspray.

Lucrezea
07-20-2009, 01:53 PM
It looks so smooth and perfect. Have the fibers been weighted down from the product at all, similar to greasy hair, or does it have relatively the same amount of volume?

*mik0 muffin !
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
wow, thanks so much for this!! def have to try this out. my friend and i have been having long wig detangling probs since forever and this looks like the answer!

ChilmarkGryphon
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
@Lucrezea: It didn't have much volume to begin with (oh long wigs *sigh*), but it's definitely not lank like greasy hair is.

Raikou-Neko
07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
This sounds utterly fantastical. I'll be sure to try it out on my Ivy wig (it got horribly tangled at Otakon 08 and has been hiding in the drawer every since). Are there are cons that you can see so far? Does it stain clothing? You said it doesn't look lank at all, but does it appear damp? Do you think it's still possible to style it? And would it work as a pre-treatment to long wigs?

(Sorry for the mass of questions, I just wanna know before I go out and buy it.)

ChilmarkGryphon
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
@Raikou: I haven't been able to see any real cons so far. The silicone doesn't rub off or stain once the petroleum carrier has evaporated (which happens pretty fast). It doesn't appear or feel damp. I doubt any styling products would stick to the coated fiber, and dyeing over it with alcohol-based dyes would remove the silicone with possible, but it SHOULD still be curlable with hot water (I haven't got any curlers or I'd test it for you now). I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't use it as a pretreatment; it certainly make it easier to untangle after wearing.

phantomthief
07-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Nifty :3 Sounds like an industrial version of the Motions oil sheen X3
I know mane 'n tail is a silicone, not sure about Motions, and with both of them, the silicone and/or oil residue keeps the wigs detangled longer ^___^
Good show.

May I add this to the Motions Oil Sheen tutorial?

~Ari

Ani_BEE
07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Motions oil sheen is definitely an oil, I stopped using since it takes a week to stop having a greasy feeling on the wig fiber. I preferred Mane 'n Tail because it does have silicone in it.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

ChilmarkGryphon
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Ingredients:
C13-14 Isoparaffin, Isobutane, Propane, Isodecyl Oleate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Citronellol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, SD Alcohol, 40-A, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract.
Chemically speaking it's completely different from Oil Sheen. Oil Sheen is... oils. I am personally wary of mixing plastic fiber and oil, seeing as how all the commercial wig conditioners I've looked at are explicitly labelled as oil-free.

Cora
07-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Chemically speaking it's completely different from Oil Sheen. Oil Sheen is... oils. I am personally wary of mixing plastic fiber and oil, seeing as how all the commercial wig conditioners I've looked at are explicitly labelled as oil-free.

I wouldn't worry about mixing plastic with oil, seeing as plastic comes from oil, and I've yet to see anyone post about experimenting with substances that create damage from a chemical reaction. We've seen proof that not even straight bleach does anything to wig fiber. Generally what has the most effect in ruining a wig is heat.

Motion's is safe to use on the wigs. I've used it plenty of time myself and if you don't completely soak it in the stuff, it dries in about a day and feels fine to me. This silicone stuff seems like a sort of "last resort," given that the OP's floor is now permanently slippery, you should probably proceed with caution and not go spraying this stuff about wil-he, nil-he.

mini_kitten_o5
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm completely new to this spraying stuff. So if I use this on my wig, and I want to curl it using the hot water method later, will this spray prevent me from doing so?

ChilmarkGryphon
07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
@Cora: I found out that the silicone can be dissolved with 90% isopropyl alcohol, but I haven't been able to get to the hardware store, and my local drugstore only carries, like 62%

@mini_kitten_o5: I do not have any curlers available atm to test the hot water method out on this wig, but it should; I don't think there's any spray or coating that will keep wig fiber from being deformed by heat. Otherwise we'd have a lovely solution to sun-damage ;)

Ani_BEE
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Try Costco for 99% rubbing alcohol. For some reason they sell it at very drug store up here in Canada but we buy ours from Costco in a 4 pack cheaper.

Kell-chan
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Oh sweet glorious cosplay gods...

I've spent the last two days trying to comb out a tangle in my brother's super long Decus ponytail and I was about ready to kill it. I will never ever doubt my instincts when they say, "Check the forums!"

*is already on her way to the hardware store*

Losertastic124
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Goodness.

This is amazing! As soon as I can get a ride, I'm going to a hardware store to pick some up! Thank you so much ;_;

I've got a 51" monster to tame >D

Also~ Once you tame the wig, does it help the wig stay untangled (I think that's word?)?

Ani_BEE
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Has anyone found a brand of silicon spray in Canada? I would order it online but shipping starts at $40 O_o

Crystalike
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
So no styling products can be used or will have an effect after you spray it with the silicone spray lubricant?

Cora
07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
So no styling products can be used or will have an effect after you spray it with the silicone spray lubricant?

That's what it sounds like, though maybe you'd be able to use a tiny bit of hairspray?

Still, if alcohol can dissolve the silicone, I'd hesitate using it on a wig you intend to actually style. It seems like it would be fine if you mean to just keep the wig long and straight.

@Cora: I found out that the silicone can be dissolved with 90% isopropyl alcohol, but I haven't been able to get to the hardware store, and my local drugstore only carries, like 62%

I think you mean 72%...I'm kind of surprised your drug store doesn't carry 90%. CVS has both kinds, though I'm not sure what kind of drugstores you have close to you.

I'm not sure what this has to do with using an oil sheen on a wig? Oil and plastic aren't going to spontaenously combust and melt, though I suppose it's good to know what will take the silicone lubricant off. However, rubbing alcohol will also take the finish off of things like sink fixtures, hardwood floors, etc. Be careful what you go throwing that stuff on.

Satine
07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about mixing plastic with oil, seeing as plastic comes from oil,

That is the very reason you need to be careful :) Not all oils are the same of course just as not all plastics are the same. Organic chemistry was my bug bear at Uni but I still recall all the exciting smells and reactions we got in the lab ;)

I've also worked with polymer clays and looked at restoring modern dolls and there can be some pretty funky long term changes based on two petroleum based products sitting with each other over time (fabrics on dolls, plastic parts on dolls). And even antique natural protein fabrics can be destroyed with the oil in your hands.

Oh yes, and I have some Silicon spray and will test this on a few hairpieces that could use some TLC.

Cora
07-30-2009, 07:42 PM
That is the very reason you need to be careful :) Not all oils are the same of course just as not all plastics are the same. Organic chemistry was my bug bear at Uni but I still recall all the exciting smells and reactions we got in the lab ;)

Yes, but, I doubt that something that is meant for people to put on their hair is going to be so chemically toxic that it will react with something meant to be a substitute for hair, nevermind that several of us have already used Motion's Oil Sheen on wigs and no one has reported a devastating chemical reaction yet.

Losertastic124
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
So I went to the hardware store today.
They didn't have that exact kind. It was still Silicone spray auto lubricant.
I'm going to test it out tomorrow and see how well it works :D

Ani_BEE
08-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Well I found a lube up here in Canada that seems to work.

Motomaster Silicone Lube
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=KTgQdPr4qPV8Qz78L3rl r5FC7SLLJPpBD13fT87P2wJxnjYD5MQ9!2004917187?PRODUC T%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443294203&bmUID=1250861248474

There is a bit of an odor with the propellant but nothing overbearing since it rated for indoor use with ventilation and sewing machines. lol
But is is rated as being toxic like most solvent house hold cleansers, so spray it outside or in a garage(which is what I did) if you can. It also comes with a straw to get into tight corners so I recommend using it to keep away from your hands.

I'm using it on my Gray Ivy wig in the back up to the nape of the neck so I can style the bangs later. The smell seems to evaporate in 12 hours (overnight) so that was my biggest concern. So I'm happy with it so far the hair dose feel silkier than with just using Mane N' Tail.

FanExpo is next weekend so I'll let you know if the wig hold up any better then with using Mane N' Tail since my longs wigs still get tangles with it, but not rats nest by the end of the day.

Mane N' Tail still works fine for short shoulder length wigs btw. ^_^

Edit: Forgot the funny part, I had to ask a sales clerk where the lubricants are shelved. I told him I was looking a silicone based Lube, he asked me what I needed it for, I hesitantly told him it was for a wig ... He was like OK(sorry I asked). lol

inu.matto
08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
So I went to the hardware store today.
They didn't have that exact kind. It was still Silicone spray auto lubricant.
I'm going to test it out tomorrow and see how well it works :D

Yeah, I didn't manage to get not auto kind of the silicone spray, but I tried it today and I already expect some nice results, since my long like hell wig is now at least in better shape than it was before all this (the previous state was: I take the comb and put it away just after taking a glance at my poor totally messed up wig because I know I won't be able to do anything). When it dries it should be fine. I hope so :angel2:

Touya no miko
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow, thanks for telling us this. I have a long black wig that's been a pain in my side. I tried washing it so I could get the tangles out, but that wasn't enough.

I'll look into this though.

FaireGoddess
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Has anyone tried it over a wig dyed with sharpies/FW/Katie Bair? It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to do anything post-spraying, but I wonder how the propellant would affect anything on the surface of the wig fiber.

Ani_BEE
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
For the spray I used the hand coloured sharpies seemed to be find.

JiseiHakushaku
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I may have to try this on my Winry wig... +___+ Its a demon in blonde wig form... T___T;;

Thanks for the tip!

JiseiHakushaku
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I'll just apologize for the double post right now and move on. :P

The other day I finally got around to hitting up my local hardware store and got some of the spray lubricant needed to do this detangling thing.

THIS. IS. FREAKING. AMAZING.

Almost instantly my Winry wig was detangled. It took awhile to get smaller sections but jeez! THIS IS SO AMAZING!!! It worked so well and quick, it looks great on the wig... The smell was barely noticeable, but it was actually pretty nice... I probably inhaled more than I should have, because I kinda had a moment and forgot the basic rule of chem. class; If you can't pronounce the chemical components and its in a spray can DON'T BREATHE IT IN.

Yeah. T____T;;;

So yeah. Back on topic.

The only cons I can think of is it makes your hands slick (obviously), but it instantly washes off with soap and water. I got a little on my jeans (a blonde moment in which a random pedestrian out my window got my attention) and I thought it would leave a yucky grease stain... but it didn't. :D But yeah...

ANYWAYS!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be keeping a can of this stuff in my suitcase at cons. I'll be using it as a pre-treatment for all wigs. It's just amazing.

And is it just me, or does the wig look nicer then when I bought it? Hmmm.. Oh well.

TO EVERYONE READING THIS: If your wig is tangled in any way, use this tutorial. This is amazing. If any of my friends get tangled wigs, I'm sending a link to this.

But yeah. LOVE IT. This is my super long testimony to show it!!!! XDD

oslapedo
10-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll be getting an Ivy wig and I'll need to style the bangs- probably with hairspray/gel- should I style first then treat it with this to prevent tangling, or spray it and then style?

LaurynTheHylian
10-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I have a long, curly wig. Is it okay to use this on it? Or will it take out the curls at all?

And someone posted earlier about it easily washing off hands with soap and water. Would this mean that if someone needed to get it out of a wig one could easily wash it out with cold water and shampoo?

artisticpsyco
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
... *w* This is amazing... YOU are amazing...
<3333 Much love~

Cheebes
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm definitely considering resorting to this. ^^;
There's some people above that asked some questions that I'm wondering, myself. Here's hoping those get answered.

CosmosFox
10-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm planning on getting some but would this brand work instead
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=124699-39963-D00100101&lpage=none
I couldn't find the brand that was listed at the beginning and I need something to tame my 51 inch beast.

ChilmarkGryphon
10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry for delayed responses ^_^;
I don't know how this interacts with any specific styling products, but it is alcohol soluble, and it keeps things from sticking to the hair. If you get it on your hands, you can get it off with alcohol-based hand soap. Haven't tried it over sharpies. I have no idea what it would do to curly wigs, since I don't have one :<
The teflon/silicone blend should be fine for detangling, but I dunno if it smells awful or will leave the hair sticky.

Battousai-nii
11-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I got to try this. I have a beautiful, high quality wig that got terribly tangled last year.

Fashwiing
12-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Bumping because more people should know about this *_*

So, a question to people that have done this to their wigs: after general wear for about fifteen/twenty minutes, wigs get kinda frizzy. Can you guys simply finger-comb the frizzies out of existence after you do this? Frizzies are a major problem with my wigs I got from Cosplaywig. If you don't even need a comb to tame wigs after you do this, I'm going to treat both my wigs from them with this stuff.

ChilmarkGryphon
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
You can just fingercomb the flyaways out, even in a wig as long as an Amanda. When a wig has a fresh coat of silicone on it that hasn't dried yet, I try not to fingercomb it because it gets all over my hands and they're too slippery to work buttons/doorknobs/etc XD You only really need a comb if you've hot horribly frizzy manked-up ends.

Inufan078
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't this be kind of a bad thing to put on your head after? (I was just thinking because of all the chemicals and things) Rashes/what if the hair accidentally flies into your mouth or something?

ChilmarkGryphon
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Once the propellants have evaporated, the spray is completely inert and harmless. While it's wet, it's about as dangerous as anything else that comes out of an aerosol can :P If you were to, say, soak your hands in straight lubricant for several hours a day, yes, the butane in the propellant would start to irritate your skin. But the butane evaporates after you spray it onto the wig.

Battousai-nii
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Well I did this for ALA and it worked like a charm. Look at my profile pic the see the after results. The side used to be one big matted mass.

As for fearing the chemicals, just let it sit long enough for the butane to evaporate and there is no harm. Also, only work with this stuff in a well-ventilated area. I even ran this idea past my mechanic friends before trying it out and they assured me I wouldn't poison myself as long as the wig gets aired for a day or so.

Ani_BEE
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll be getting an Ivy wig and I'll need to style the bangs- probably with hairspray/gel- should I style first then treat it with this to prevent tangling, or spray it and then style?

I Know this was posted a while ago...

I used this on my Ivy wig to pre-treat it, I didn't use the spray on the bangs but the rest of the hair first before styling it. The silicone dose not effect how it Got2B glued hair product work, I just chose not to lube up the bangs to give it more tooth. :bigtu:

RazorRain
01-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a Rinoa wig (so about a mid-length wig) that is so terribly dull and tangly. So my question is should I use this silicone spray or the motions oil spray? What would you all recommend? And is it ok if I wash and condition the wig before applying either one?

Battousai-nii
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I have a Rinoa wig (so about a mid-length wig) that is so terribly dull and tangly. So my question is should I use this silicone spray or the motions oil spray? What would you all recommend? And is it ok if I wash and condition the wig before applying either one?

I have only tried this kind, but I do know that Motions also works because it contains a silicone lubricant. However, it also contains oils which might leave more residue. This stuff is also easily available at the local hardware store.

My wig was washed and conditioned a bit as I was trying to fix it before discovering this stuff.

RazorRain
01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Thank you, I think I will go with the lubricant from the hardware store. Putting oils in my wig just doesn't sound pleasant lol

ZephyrEclipse
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
This sounds like a great solution for my friend, whose Grell wig is currently a haggard, tangled, frizzy mess. I, myself, am going to get a long Watari (Yami no Matsuei) wig in the near future and this could come in handy for me too.

Okay, so I just wanna be sure of what I'm buying before I go to the hardware store and buy it. I went and looked a little while ago but didn't purchase anything; I couldn't find the lubricant mentioned in the first post (3-in-1 Silicone Spray Lubricant), but I found several different type of lubricants in the car care aisle. Amongst them, I found one that's pure silicone and one that's a Silicone lubricant that supposedly contains petroleum distillates. So, would the latter of the lubricants be the right one to get? Mostly, the others were just silicone mixes I guess (I'm not very familiar with these things). Could I get one of these? Thanks~

KittenToofs
01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
I wish I'd known about this before I threw out my old wig. ~_~ It was so terribly ratty and tangled, that I could barely handle it. (Being as I am an easily stressed person, it was quite.. stressful.:P) It wasn't as high quality as some of the fibers out there, but it was terrible either.

This would have saved me allot of trouble. I'm definitely going to save this thread for the future. ~('3')~

Battousai-nii
01-28-2010, 02:53 AM
This sounds like a great solution for my friend, whose Grell wig is currently a haggard, tangled, frizzy mess. I, myself, am going to get a long Watari (Yami no Matsuei) wig in the near future and this could come in handy for me too.

Okay, so I just wanna be sure of what I'm buying before I go to the hardware store and buy it. I went and looked a little while ago but didn't purchase anything; I couldn't find the lubricant mentioned in the first post (3-in-1 Silicone Spray Lubricant), but I found several different type of lubricants in the car care aisle. Amongst them, I found one that's pure silicone and one that's a Silicone lubricant that supposedly contains petroleum distillates. So, would the latter of the lubricants be the right one to get? Mostly, the others were just silicone mixes I guess (I'm not very familiar with these things). Could I get one of these? Thanks~

It would be the silicone lubricant with petroleum distillate. Mine is a different company than the picture also. The pure silicone spray dries hard, and is used to surface things like models.

Riiko Izawa
01-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm planning on checking for this within the next week or so,
and I ordered the Clover L for my Lucy cosplay.

Should it be sprayed with the silicone lubricant as soon as it's out of the bag and combed through on the wig head? Or would just combing suffice? How often should you be spraying it with the silicone - or is it just for whenever it looks like it's getting tangled?

CosmosFox
01-28-2010, 06:45 AM
I couldn't find the sparay that's mentioned but I found another spray but I'm not sure it would work. It is called Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray. It contains petroleum distillates, napthenic oil, silicone and carbon dioxide.

Battousai-nii
01-29-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm planning on checking for this within the next week or so,
and I ordered the Clover L for my Lucy cosplay.

Should it be sprayed with the silicone lubricant as soon as it's out of the bag and combed through on the wig head? Or would just combing suffice? How often should you be spraying it with the silicone - or is it just for whenever it looks like it's getting tangled?

Using the wig head for this is a good idea if you want to avoid spraying certain parts. It makes the hair more slippery, so you might want to avoid spraying the bangs.
I do plan to pretreat any future wigs, but generally I've just been using it as a treatment for tangling.

jianna
01-29-2010, 11:09 PM
@CosmosFox: Just used that brand on my Miku and it seems ok, although I don't think I got the treatment in very thoroughly - I sprayed the the comp and ran it through, rather than comb and wig. I was being timid. It seems to have worked ok, though, for not having been terribly thorough. It still tangles (I'm wearing it now to test) but it doesn't LOOK quite so frizzy at least.

nyappyfebreze
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
So can someone clarify (for those of us who have no idea what we're dealing with) exactly which components of this are necessary? So that if we can't find the brand posted, we can find something similar. I assume the silicone is necessary, is the petroleum also necessary?

For instance,would this (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100597281&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100597281&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D24X-_-100597281) not work because it has no petroleum?

Roxicle
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a long, curly wig. Is it okay to use this on it? Or will it take out the curls at all?

I tried using this, although a version from my country since the 3-in-1 isn't available here, on my very tangled and frizzy Nia-wig which originally had a lot of cork-screw curls. Those had lessened since I tried to save the wig by careful combing, but it just ended up stretching the fiber and damaging it. So basically the damage is already done and it can't get back into it's original condition, but I can say that the silicone spray did make the wig softer and completely brushable with ease. Although now the wig is more wavy than curly, so I'll have to try to curl it once it's properly dry. So as an answer: yes it will take out the curls and make it more wavy, but it could depend on the wig you have and it did sort out the tangles. Once I'm done with the detangling I'll try to curl the wig and I'll tell you how that turns out :)

LaurynTheHylian
02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I tried using this, although a version from my country since the 3-in-1 isn't available here, on my very tangled and frizzy Nia-wig which originally had a lot of cork-screw curls. Those had lessened since I tried to save the wig by careful combing, but it just ended up stretching the fiber and damaging it. So basically the damage is already done and it can't get back into it's original condition, but I can say that the silicone spray did make the wig softer and completely brushable with ease. Although now the wig is more wavy than curly, so I'll have to try to curl it once it's properly dry. So as an answer: yes it will take out the curls and make it more wavy, but it could depend on the wig you have and it did sort out the tangles. Once I'm done with the detangling I'll try to curl the wig and I'll tell you how that turns out :)

I'm actually asking because of a Nia wig myself.
After moving it around due to dying it it's gotten a little knotty and frizzy. I would like to get rid of the frizz but I'm afraid if I get rid of the curls that I won't be able to get them back in the wig. I'm scared I'll burn/melt the fibers.

Roxicle
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm actually asking because of a Nia wig myself.
After moving it around due to dying it it's gotten a little knotty and frizzy. I would like to get rid of the frizz but I'm afraid if I get rid of the curls that I won't be able to get them back in the wig. I'm scared I'll burn/melt the fibers.

Oh, what a coincidence :D Although my wig is not dyed as far as I know, since I bought it from eBay as it was, so I have no idea how the silicone spray would affect a dyed wig. I'm also a bit worried about getting the curls back, but it should be fine. Still, I won't be burning my wig with hot curlers or boiling water. I'll just go with cold water and rollers for the first try to see how it works. I'm submitting some photos of the process of detangling right now, so you'll be able to see how it looks at the moment. I'll let you know once I'm finished submitting them all

Roxicle
02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Alright, I've submitted some before & in-progress photos of my poor, tangled Nia-wig which I detangled with a silicone spray. Still need to wait for it to dry so I can show some after-photos as well as if the wig can be curled back to its old self, but these should do for the time being. This is an example for those who have curly wigs and wonder what happens to them once treated with silicone spray. Here are the photograps:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/175008/

Hopefully you can find this somewhat useful ^^

LaurynTheHylian
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I've never heard of using cold water to curl. How exactly does that work?

Thanks for posting progress pics.

Roxicle
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I've never heard of using cold water to curl. How exactly does that work?

I actually have no idea if it works that well on wigs, but I used to curl my own hair with cold water back in the day when it was very long. I either made my hair completely wet and covered my head with rollers and let the hair dry, or I put the rollers first and then sprayed water on them until the hair was moist. It probably won't work on a wig, but I shall try since I really don't want to damage the wig more than I already have by combing it before the silicone spray.

Seena-Cha
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
So this could work if i use it on a synthetic wig that is about 5 years old o3o ? and is prob worth 7 bucks?

MDA
02-21-2010, 11:18 PM
I should so use that for my Rider wig. Though she currently lives in the top drawer of my dresser.

Cat-Chans
02-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Has anyone tried this on a curly or wavy wig?
I have a long wavy wig that I'm about ready to get rid of, the bottom is a frizzy, kinky mess.

Roxicle
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Has anyone tried this on a curly or wavy wig?
I have a long wavy wig that I'm about ready to get rid of, the bottom is a frizzy, kinky mess.

Yes, I have used silicone spray to detangle a curly wig.

sweet_oneesama
03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Wow! This thread is so useful! My Riku wig, no matter how much I comb it, keeps getting tangled every time I wear it, and even worse when I put the blindfold on. I will definitely try this spray.

<3333333333

MDA
03-25-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm so going to use this on my Rider wig. I haven't worn it to a con yet, and already it's a total mess.

Nikeah
03-29-2010, 02:09 AM
OMG. This totally works!!! I just tried it on a small portion on the bottom of my wig to test it (just in case it messes it up) and it works like magic. Since there haven't been many before and after pictures, I'll post some up later. My wig is the definition of trashed and it didn't help that it was a cheap wig. It was like 35 bucks from china and it's 51" long.

I had to take a break because of the fumes but I'll get back to it.

KuraKaze
03-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Has anyone tried to style a wig that has been detangled with this method? I can see that it would be great for anime characters whose hair style is just hanging straight down, but I wonder if the fibers can still be easily curled/hairsprayed etc.

MDA
04-01-2010, 10:38 PM
@MangoChutney: The slipperyness pretty much stays put. I put it on this morning and wore it around for a while to see how it behaved. It started looking mussed up after the usual 15 minute period (at cons I tie the hair into tiny bundles to keep it neat), but fingercombing it neat again didn't result in the usual fistfuls of ratty kanekalon.

Does it return to that lovely tidiness?

GORGEOUScissors
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Has anyone tried to style a wig that has been detangled with this method? I can see that it would be great for anime characters whose hair style is just hanging straight down, but I wonder if the fibers can still be easily curled/hairsprayed etc.

I'm also curious about this.
I have a tangled heat resistant wig but I was wondering is spraying would affect its ability to be curled/straightened with heat styling tools =/

ChilmarkGryphon
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Added Roxicle's progress shots on the first post.
I'd test it out for you, GORGEOUScissors, but none of my wigs are heat-resistant :<

Sachie
04-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm going to buy some of this tomorrow! I want to detangle my Luka and Suiseiseki wig. :>

Tonksie
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I did this today on my Rogue wig. It was matted like nobody's business >.< It was so matted that even using the spray, it was still quite difficult to get the knots out, I had to really saturate it. But, it's done!! Now just waiting for it to dry and see how it turns out

The good news is that it doesn't take out the dye on a sharpie colored wig (hand-sharpied). The bad news was, since my wig was dyed a reddish brown and has tendencies to bleed, the sharpie dye got EVERYWHERE. Fairly easy to clean up, though, I just used 91% alcohol and everything came right off. Make sure to wear old clothes if your wig is dyed.

Also, make sure the wig is firmly in place. I had the devil of a time with my wighead slipping around. Ended up having to hold it between my feet on the ground (it's a really good thing no one but me was home at this time. :p)

Kell-chan
04-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I use this on two of my longer wigs...both are fairly wavy, and I haven't noticed an issue with the waves being hurt by it. Of course it WILL look straighter until it's fully dry again, but after that it goes back to it's original style. I swear by this spray. Just remember to watch the fumes, etc, etc.

LaurynTheHylian
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
The good news is that it doesn't take out the dye on a sharpie colored wig (hand-sharpied).
Of course it WILL look straighter until it's fully dry again, but after that it goes back to it's original style.

Things are sounding good. I may just have to try it.

Zhelly
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh, goodness, I'm so glad that I stumbled across this thread. *_* I was almost ready to just order a new wig because my current one is such a mess, but I'm going to try this first!

Tonksie
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Make sure to do this well in advance of any Con you're going to be wearing the wig to. I didn't think this through all the way and sprayed it the day before, thinking 24 hours would be plenty of time to dry.

It wasn't. I didn't get to wear my costume (no big deal, as it was a re-wear and a last minute con anyway). It was still a bit tacky in some places when I checked last night. Then again, I used a lot on a very thick wig, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad on thinner wigs.

pixiedancer
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
This sounds amazing I have to try some of these tips on my yoko wigs :/

ChilmarkGryphon
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
@Tonksie: Tacky? That's odd o____o It can stay wet and oily for a while, but I've never had it make anything sticky. I wonder if it reacted with the sharpie dye?

Noyzz
04-25-2010, 10:33 PM
:D I'm gonna go hunt this down now~ thanks a million.

MDA
04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
I tried this on my Rider wig, and all it did was make the mess worse >_< Now an entire section of the wig is a frizzy mess, and I've combed it out with my fingers several times over, and rinsed the wig twice to make sure all the lubricant was out. It worked at the start, but the further up the wig I went the mess just came back and was worse.

ChilmarkGryphon
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
@MDA: Were you pulling hard on the hair or something? :< Maybe the fibers got stretched out and that's why it's frizzing.

Emmyla
04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
This worked really well for getting the tangles out.
Originally I tried doing it the old fashioned way with a comb and a lot of patience, but that wasn't working, and I was only yanking and stretching out fibers. Luckily I found this, and now everything seems to be in working order (: I'm very pleased. There's a little bit of...what looks like broken ends, yanno? But it seems manageable. I'm just glad I didn't completely wreck it.
I was skeptical at first because it didn't seem like it was working, but in the end, mission accomplished, even if my neighbors probably thought I was a freak. x]

Suiseiseki0284
05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Does it matter what brand of sillicone spray it is? :/ what I have is CRC Heavy Duty Sillicone Multiuse lubricant.

ChilmarkGryphon
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
@Suiseiseki: If you're using a different kind of spray, look up the Materials Safety Data Sheet for it. From what I see here (http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5074.pdf), it looks like that brand contains acetone. I've never used acetone on wig fiber before, but it's generally bad for plastics. So I wouldn't risk it :<

Suiseiseki0284
05-19-2010, 11:12 PM
@Suiseiseki: If you're using a different kind of spray, look up the Materials Safety Data Sheet for it. From what I see here (http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5074.pdf), it looks like that brand contains acetone. I've never used acetone on wig fiber before, but it's generally bad for plastics. So I wouldn't risk it :<

Well then, my mother should be happy to have a reason to go to Home Depot XD

fechan
06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Has anyone successfully re-curled a wig after using the spray on it? I have two curly wigs (one ringlets and the other waves and large curls) that are matted at the back...

I'm terrible at curling wigs so I was hoping it wouldn't destroy the curls.

Also, has anyone used the spray on a wig that was styled with hair spray, hair modelling paste and glue? (Obviously I wouldn't try to untangle the glued parts but I might spray on it and don't want to ruin it)

Sorry for all the questions!!

Stormraven24
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but I've been trying this on a couple wigs lately and just finished with a Showgirl one. I noticed that even after letting it sit for about 3-4 days, the places where the spray was put heaviest remained looking wet. Is that normal?

Also, the Showgirl wig I just finished today is pretty thick. Should I pretty much saturate the whole thing with the spray, or just go over the underside with a few sprays of the stuff? (Note: I couldn't find the exact thing the OP linked, but I did find a silicone lubricant with petroleum distilates listed as ingredients)

Suiseiseki0284
06-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Tried and failed miserably. Could have been the spray I used. :/ Ah well, time to get a new Alice wig.

VickyBunnyAngel
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but I've been trying this on a couple wigs lately and just finished with a Showgirl one. I noticed that even after letting it sit for about 3-4 days, the places where the spray was put heaviest remained looking wet. Is that normal?

Also, the Showgirl wig I just finished today is pretty thick. Should I pretty much saturate the whole thing with the spray, or just go over the underside with a few sprays of the stuff? (Note: I couldn't find the exact thing the OP linked, but I did find a silicone lubricant with petroleum distilates listed as ingredients)

Once you comb it out, the wig should look fluffy (?? lack of better word sorry) again. Even after combing, if it's still greasy, you might have sprayed too much at a time, and it will take a while for it all tp evaporate. A little bit of slipperyness is normal though if that's what your question is about. That's just the silicon coating on your wig fibres doing their job ;)

I notice that if I'm letting the wig dry in the air-conditioned indoors, it takes a really long time for the greasiness to go away, even if I put it in the bathroom and turn the fan on. The fastest drying time I've had with the silicon spray, is 5 hours, outdoors on a sunny day.

ChilmarkGryphon
06-03-2010, 11:56 PM
@fechan: It doesn't hurt tacky glue, at least. I did an Envy wig out of craft foam sealed with tacky glue and acrylic gloss, and sprayed it with the silicone to waterproof it and keep the strands from sticking to each other once they were dry. It has not harmed the finish. Not sure about what it does with actual hair products, though.

Sonnentreppe
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Does anybody have tips on how much or how little to spray on a wig? I have a fairly long wig (easily butt-length) and trying to keep it tangle free is a pain. I got the 3 in 1 spray today and gave it a small go, but am still getting catches and some tangles as I try to brush it through.

ChilmarkGryphon
06-08-2010, 07:01 AM
@Sonnentreppe: Even if you do spray too much, and it looks wet and greasy and disgusting, it'll all dry after a few days. You can also spray it on the comb you're using.

birdyface
06-08-2010, 11:42 AM
double post, sorry.

birdyface
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I've not been able to find the WD40 3-in-1 product yet, but I did find something that seems that it should be similar. B'laster brand Silicone Lube, MSDS info here: http://www.blastercorporation.com/images/msds/SL-aerosol-feb09.pdf

The ingredients seem to be a bit vague (I don't know a ton about chemical names), and I'm wondering if what I've found would be comparable to the 3-in-1? Thanks!

Moonsong
06-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I used this tutorial on my Hungary wig yesterday, and while it did take a while to comb through all of the sections, it worked great! I plan on using it on my C.C. wig tomorrow, when it hopefully will not be raining. -Shakes her fist at the sky.-

The kind I used was by DuPont..I kind of didn't know what I was looking for, so I went into Lowe's and asked a woman if they had spray silicone lubricant, and that was the brand on the shelf, so I grabbed some.

Also e-mailing this tutorial to a friend whose wig is a mess!

NekoMilly
06-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I just used this today! I bought it just as posted on here. It worked as well as everyone said. I have never detangled a wig before, so I may have done it wrong, but I noticed it was coarse afterwards, instead of soft. -_- It's tangle free though! And it was a frizzy mess. Should I have cleaned the wig before? Should I clean the wig afterwords? ^^;;

Thanks so much for the tutorial! SnJ Naruto will have pretty pigtails again!

Minsc
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Not that I'll need to use it on a wig. I just find it a little amusing I already have a can of said 3 in 1 silicone lubricant on hand. Though I initially bought for for its intended purpose. :p At least I now know another use for it. :)

"Safe on metal, rubber, wood, vinyl, and now wigs!"

ChilmarkGryphon
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
On the subject of vinyl: if you spray it on the presser foot/feed dogs/needle/etc of your sewing machine, it makes sewing vinyl/pvc coated fabric easier :)

xDietSoDuh
06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Okay, there are a few things im missing.. maybe i didn't read through this well and missed it, but..

If i spray a little on my wig and comb, detangle it, then let it dry, will the scent be gone?

Does this last for a long time? If i let it dry, put it on, then do an obstical course will i be able to run my fingers through it gently and get rid of them again?

ChilmarkGryphon
07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
The scent fades over time, but the silicone molecules will stay on the hair.

o01101011
07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Has anyone gotten a chance to try curling a wig that's been coated? Or hard mode; a wig that's heat resistant?

Rachael-chan
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
After I sprayed my wig, it became really stringy. I used this (http://www.lowes.com/pd_235860-1409-M914_0_?productId=3026977&Ntt=silicone spray&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=silicone spray) brand, and the wig didn't look too bad... until I tried to style it. (It's for Maya Fey (http://www.court-records.net/arts/site%20maya.jpg), btw.) I used Motions oil on it previously. Maybe that's why it's greasy, or I could just be doing it wrong. : /

shellypants
08-08-2010, 12:36 AM
@Rachael-chan, this evening I washed a wig I'd had sitting in my closet for a year--I'd used Motions on it, and it was STILL GREASY, very stringy, ick! I didn't think I'd used THAT much. <_<;;

I plan on dyeing it, then using silicone, so that's why I washed it... figured that a clean slate would be the best. I'd try washing it and giving it another go, then a full day to dry? Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it took 5 hours for the silicone spray to fully dry on their wig...

heyyitsmags
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a long wig; so i help keep them both unfrizzy and nice and straight (if that's what is desired) but mostly untangled with two different things.

One is an Anti-static spray (Static Guard... blue can and orange cap) which keeps fly-away and large frizzing down. And then; I have horse's and if you know about them... their tails are always snarled. UNTIL!!! You find a silicone spray which keeps all the strands from knotting together. Any type of silicone will do; you can buy the childrens kind of detangler of L'oreal or the one the original poster said above ^^... But horse ones actually work too! I find when I run out of "human-hair stuff" I can simply use my horse's brand. It leaves a slightly stronger scent behind but if you air it out well enough; PROBLEM SOLVED!

I wish everyone luck in taking care of their wigs!

fechan
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I finally got around trying to fix my Mitsuru wig. It had a giant tangle at the base of the neck and most of the curls were really frizzy.

Oh, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this fun fact before but I found out that Silicone Spray eats through latex gloves.

I think the wig looks much better and the curls mostly survived but I had to cut away the worst parts (some strands were almost fused together in some kind of crazy dread). I think it still looks a lot frizzy. The spray didn't do much for that unfortunately.
Maybe I'll try the Static-Guard next....

o01101011
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow that looks tons better.

Unfortunately that looks less like a static issue and more like there are strands simply loose from the curls, or that have snapped during detangling/wear. You'll probably get your best results by straightening the wig and then recurling it.

Uerria
09-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Definitely wanna try this out! xD

ChilmarkGryphon
09-19-2010, 08:29 AM
There is no product that will remove frizziness from a wig once the fiber is kinked. If it's already kinked up, the only way to fix it is to heat it up and relax the frizzy out. If you've got access to a garment steamer, you can steam it and gently comb it. Otherwise, careful hot-water method straightening and recurling.

ky--Ice--
09-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow!
Another amazed onlooker here, very impressed with this thread.

This is my wig in current state: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ky--ice--/0918102020-01.jpg
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ky--ice--/?action=view&current=0918102020-01.jpg&newest=1#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs176.photobu cket.com%2Falbums%2Fw172%2Fky--ice--%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D0918102018-02.jpg%26newest%3D1
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ky--ice--/?action=view&current=0918102020-01.jpg&newest=1#!oZZ6QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs176.photobu cket.com%2Falbums%2Fw172%2Fky--ice--%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D0918102014-03.jpg%26newest%3D1

Gonna try both the hot water method and the sillicon spray.
Should I do either in a particular order?

fechan
09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Gonna try both the hot water method and the sillicon spray.
Should I do either in a particular order?

I would try to untangle it with silicon first, then it's probably going to be frizzy from the untangling so you can defrizz it with hot water.
That's my theory in any case. ;)

Kawaii Pocky
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Okay, I'm so glad I found this thread. I've actually ordered two long long wigs. Not sure how many inches but the wig goes down maybe almost to my ankles? Maybe a tad shorter. Well, I've never had any experience with wigs since this year is my first year cosplaying. And especially long wigs. The first wig I ordered as I tried styling it kept tangling and frizzing to crap, but I combed it with my fingers and hairbrush since I don't have a wig hairbrush. Which helped, but then it would just get tangled and crap again while I tried to style it. So I gave up and ended up selling it and bought a prestyled wig so I didn't have to mess with it.

And then I bought another purple wig, which I said goes maybe almost all the way down to my ankles it's that long. Haven't even taken it out of the package cause I don't want it tangled and I want it nice for the con which is next month. Any way. I'm gonna have to take it out and do the bangs some time before the con any way. But I was worried about walking around all day long and how tangled and junk the wig would get just walking around. I may trim the bottom of the wig shorter cause I might be long enough to drag on the ground which I don't want. Especially at a con where lots of people could accidentally step on it which would be bad.

I don't even have to put any hairspray or any thing on the wig even for the bangs cause the bangs are the only thing I have to cut/style on the wig. But I was wondering how long does this spray last and water won't do any thing to do? I don't really know any thing about chemicals maybe other then common sense stuff like making a science fair volcano with baking powder and vinegar. lol

I read the first three pages but then got lazy after that cause I didn't know there was so many page. >.>

I don't even know where there's a hardware store around here. lol But luckily I have to go to another town for errands next week and I know where there's one in that town. Go figure.

ChibiToon
10-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Just tried this method today with Walmart's Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant and it worked!!! It actually worked better than the hair detangler I bought earlier! Thanks for this thread! :D

CT

bubblefairy03
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
I have a horrible rat's nest hanging off my library right now. It's. . . 61", I believe? I got it for a steal, but it wasn't shipped very well. Tangled straight out of the box, and since then, it's only gotten worse. . . and worse. . . and worse.
ChilmarkGryphon, if this works, then you'll be my new knight in shining armor (er, knight with shining hair?). I'm a little concerned about one thing though. My wig is an extremely light platinum blonde color, that I plan on dying brown using the "sharpie" technique (basically mixing sharpie marker ink with alcohol and giving your wig a bath in it). If I rub the wig down with alcohol beforehand, do you think the dying method will still work?

ChilmarkGryphon
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
My wig is an extremely light platinum blonde color, that I plan on dying brown using the "sharpie" technique (basically mixing sharpie marker ink with alcohol and giving your wig a bath in it). If I rub the wig down with alcohol beforehand, do you think the dying method will still work?

If it's Eleora (treated modacrylic, imagine Teflon-coated Kanekalon), which many long wigs are, you're going to have a hard time getting Sharpie to stick to it anyways :< I've never immersion-dyed wigs with alcohol inks, only with RIT. Unless your wig has reached dredlocked levels of tangle-fail, I think you could dye it and then detangle it?

Kawaii Pocky
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I need to get some of this cause my Yoko wig's ponytail ratted up and the more I tried to untangle it by hand it got worse. Cause usually little rats I can manage to straighten by hand but I suppose not this time. lol So I haven't messed any more with this wig.

ChilmarkGryphon
12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I finally got my 50" Adam Kadamon wig-monstrosity out of storage: hopefully I'll be able to throw together some kind of demo video this week. This is a wig that was pre-treated with silicone before I wore it: it was then devoured by my wing armatures, screwed with by the wind, walked all over in a hotel room, and stuffed in a bag for six months with some velcro. It still combs out easily.

ChilmarkGryphon
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
A demonstration of the powers of silicone. I have failed at producing a tutorial video OTL

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/chilmarklj/wigdetangling.jpg

ladyxzeus
12-14-2010, 05:16 AM
So I tried this yesterday.... I can't say it worked! What do?

ChilmarkGryphon
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
What part about it didn't work?
- Did it not come out slippery? You have to shake the can same as you would spraypaint, the silicone will all settle to the bottom.
- Are you still unable to run your fingers through it even though the obvious tangles are gone? Might be that the fibers are too kinked up, steam/straighten them if there's not any huge tangles.
- Did it make the hair sticky? Might be due to the spray dissolving any Oil Sheen/styling products on the wig.
Once the petroleum evaporates you can wash some of the excess silicone off with detergent if you want.

LilleahWest
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I went to ACE and got the ACE brand pure silicone lubricant spray and it worked wonderfully on my lightly tangled but very frizzy wig. (and it cost just under $5) Not only did it help untangle but the hair no longer feels dry and crispy, it feels smooth and soft. I am crossing my fingers and hoping the spray will help get it from getting tangly and frizzy during use at the con.

ladyxzeus
01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
What part about it didn't work?
- Did it not come out slippery? You have to shake the can same as you would spraypaint, the silicone will all settle to the bottom.
- Are you still unable to run your fingers through it even though the obvious tangles are gone? Might be that the fibers are too kinked up, steam/straighten them if there's not any huge tangles.
- Did it make the hair sticky? Might be due to the spray dissolving any Oil Sheen/styling products on the wig.
Once the petroleum evaporates you can wash some of the excess silicone off with detergent if you want.
The tangles were not gone. At all. I brushed it for hours, applying the silicone as it seemed to dry off, but no awesome results...

lelia12
01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I went to ACE and got the ACE brand pure silicone lubricant spray and it worked wonderfully on my lightly tangled but very frizzy wig. (and it cost just under $5) Not only did it help untangle but the hair no longer feels dry and crispy, it feels smooth and soft. I am crossing my fingers and hoping the spray will help get it from getting tangly and frizzy during use at the con.

Cool! where in ACE did you find it? I don't go there very often and would rather avoid wandering around looking for it if at all possible.:p Does the can say right on the front that it is the silicone spray? Also when you spray it on the wig how thick do you need to make it?

TheDevotedOne
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh thank God. My Albus Dumbledore wig was so crazy and I only wore it to one con for a day and a half (ALA). It's my longest wig to date (down to my butt; I got it from cosplay.com shopping and it's a Linda XXL wig) and when I got back home, it was just a mess. It didn't /look/ that bad, but when I went to go untangle it, it was horrifying and I just got so terribly frustrated. I'm so glad to find something that a lot of people actually recommend (yeah... I went through this whole thread XD). I'm going to try it and when I do it (prolly a while later, I left it at home 'cause I'm at college) I'll definitely say how it worked out for me. :3

dobbin
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I just got a Miku wig from a friend of mine who agreed that if I could detangle it, I could wear it. I'll try this sometime in the next few days, it sound's like it's worked for almost everyone!

karenmelx3
02-11-2011, 10:28 PM
A demonstration of the powers of silicone. I have failed at producing a tutorial video OTL

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/chilmarklj/wigdetangling.jpg

it says that it eats away at latex gloves, if thats so, how did you work with it? did you just use your bare hands or another kind of glove?

also, how would you pretreat the wig with silicon and was your wig washed before doing any of this?

thanks!! :)

ChilmarkGryphon
02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I didn't wear gloves, I just washed my hands afterwards. The functional ingredient (dimethylsiloxane) is also known as dimethicone, found in moisturizers and hair conditioner. The ingredient that can be a skin irritant (butane) evaporates, so if you let the spray dry and then combed it you wouldn't have a problem with the latex gloves.

For pretreatment, you'd just spray the silicone on the ends and comb it in.

I didn't wash my wig before detangling it; I'd only worn it to one event. I'd recommend washing your wig first if it's got any styling product in it.

karenmelx3
02-12-2011, 12:21 AM
oh i see
thank you so much for the help!! :D

skyfirefox
02-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Question about using a steamer on a wig, does this work on the heat resistant fibers? And how exactly do you go about it?
I have a very long Epic wig that got SERIOUSLY frizzed during the dyeing process and I'd prefer to save the wig than dye another one.

SakuraxTsubasa
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Does a regular garment steamer work? (And does it work in place of a hairdryer when you're styling other things? XD)
Thank you very much for sharing, this is exactly what I need for my ridiculously tangled Luka wig.

Mokoni
02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
What do you use to clamp the wig onto if you don't have a wig head? Especially outside?

Idea/plan [when it is warmer outside because I am not going to do this in 30 degree weather]: Somehow figure out how to clamp it onto my wooden deck out back of the house. Any suggestions??

ChilmarkGryphon
02-28-2011, 08:55 AM
@skyfirefox: ISteam does work on the heat-resistant wigs, it just takes two or three passes. I frizzed the hell out of my extra-long one too :P

@SakuraxTsubasa: What do you mean by a regular garment steamer? I use a travel-sized garment steamer at home, but I've used the big vacuum-cleaner looking ones at my school's costume shop too. It works in place of a hair dryer for other stuff; here's (http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.com/art/Wig-Mod-2-Steamin-Style-142725828) a tutorial from Ion as an example.

@Mokoni: Well, if you're not in a rush to do it, I'd just look for a styrofoam wig head (beauty supply store, ~$5) or a big styrofoam ball (craft store, no idea). Foam wig heads have a 1" hole in the bottom you can stick a dowel into, so you could put it on a broomstick or something and clamp it to your deck railing.

SakuraxTsubasa
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
@SakuraxTsubasa: What do you mean by a regular garment steamer? I use a travel-sized garment steamer at home, but I've used the big vacuum-cleaner looking ones at my school's costume shop too. It works in place of a hair dryer for other stuff; here's (http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.com/art/Wig-Mod-2-Steamin-Style-142725828) a tutorial from Ion as an example.

Thaaaaank you!
One last question:
I think you mentioned it before, but you said your long wig tangled just as much as before. When you brushed it out afterwards, was it easy/easier?

ChilmarkGryphon
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Nothing prevents tangling other than tying the hair up, but yeah, it's easier to brush out a pre-treated wig. The silicone helps keep the hairs from sticking to each other when they get tangled, so you end up with less end-frizz where the fibers have gotten stretched out, which is what makes it hard to run your fingers through a long wig.

Laurencat
03-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Will WD-40 work? I noticed in a thread that someone used and it worked, but another mentioned it wears off? My dad has some which he uses for his car, and I can use it if it'll work.

Also, would it work on wigs from Cosplay fu? (It's a stocking wig from panty and stocking) I'd link it but it got removed last time for some reason.

Also, when I comb the wig, it just keeps pulling strands out. Is that normal? Is it meant to be thinning the first time you get it?

ChilmarkGryphon
03-30-2011, 01:23 AM
WD-40 is a different creature altogether: it has no silicone and was designed as a waterproofing spray (which is why it's Water Displacement 40), with only slight lubricating properties. 3-in-1, which is made by the same company, is intended mainly for lubrication.

It should work on all synthetic wigs, regardless of manufacturer.

Most wigs shed a little, poorly made wigs shed a lot. If you're loosing a lot of hair, you might want to turn the wig inside out and add some clear silicone caulk along the weft stitching. Squeeze some caulk out onto something disposable, pick up small amounts on a coffee stirrer or similarly sized impliment, and dab it sparingly onto the sewn part of each weft. Don't get it on the loose hair or it'll make a mess.

Taliesiin
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
The links to these posts:
"- Dupont Silicone (Teflon/Silicone?) (post #101)
- Walmart's Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant (post #118)"

Go to the same post about the Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray.

ChilmarkGryphon
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Edited, thanks. Could not find the posts that used to be #101; I'm wondering if something got deleted and moved the post counts, or if I messed up the links in my 2am stupor. The postcount number in the URL was different for both links *is bemused*

Lady Marionette
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
The 3-in-1 spray worked on my 80cm Delphine wig! Now to detangle all my other long wigs. Mwuahaha!

Thanks for the awesome tip! <3

Crystalsetsuna
04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I LOVE YOUU!! sooo glad for this article! i recently got the exact same platinum wig from cosplay.com..and after trying it on a few times,it's got some rather bad tangles in it...^-^0.thankfully,i got a nice wig loopbrush and my dad has liquid wrench silicone spray...whoohoo!so there's a nice lil project for tomorrow...i gotta ask though,does the sprays effects like...linger?like does it keep the wig all smoothy looking and stuff?just curious.thank you again for de article!!!!*bows*

EDIT: okay,i finally got into the process!! my dad made me a nice lil wig hanger, instead of buying one online<he's awesome and he's mah daddy!MAH i say!!>so we hung it up on a door on the back patio<which we lined with black garbage bags> and i sprayed and brushed away.

used a big hair pick and a rather fine toothed comb and my loopbristle wig brush.it is now currently totally brushed through for most of the length,i only did to below the wig cap. it looks all wet and hangs together in strands from where my brushs ran through.waiting for it to dry and hoping it will look dry! also,my hands DID get really slippery,but some water and handsoap,ordinary hand soap,took that right off.so yeah.^-^ will edit again like...tomorrow or whenever it's dry looking again.or if it's a long time and it doesn't look dry^-^

EDIT: okay,it's been two days AND!....my wig still looks wet and kinda lanky/greasy.uh,eheh....and it was dripping i think silicone most of today...had to put newspaper under the wig where i'd hung it outside.even a full day in bright sunlight didn't seem to help!...anyone got any tips?

EDIT 2: alright,it's been a...while! talked to the lady who started this all..uh..apparently the liquid wrench stuff has mineral oil as a carrier,instead of the stuff that evaporates...so i had a greasy wig!^-^0 but a wash with Dawn and then Herbal Essences put the wig to rights and made it smell nice.so....yeah^-^gotta get that 3-in-1 i guess!

SakuraxTsubasa
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
One last quick question!
So, you're really only spraying the stuff on the ends and wherever you need it? (i.e. knots)

totorolover
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
thinking about doing this on my Chobits chi wig but i have one concern, the costume is satin, will the spray rub off and affect the fabric? i have visions of oil spots :(

Crystalsetsuna
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
i'm doing Chii too!^-^ my costume satiny as well. i've fingered my wig a lot after using the wrong silicone spray and i've touched my costume after that. and my costume doesn't have any spots. so i think as long as your wig feels okay to the touch, your costume should feel just fine

ChilmarkGryphon
05-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Afghdljds sorry for neglecting the thread, I've been moving D:

@SakuraxTsubasa: That's the basic idea. Although when I'm working on wigs, "the ends" seems to end up being "everything below the hairtie when I pull it back into a ponytail".

@totorolover: The blonde wig pictured in the first post of this thread was worn with a white satin costume, which has remained free of oil spots (except around the hem where the darn fabric marking pencil didn't iron out arrrrrgh). The idea is that the solvents evaporate within an hour or two of application, so the only stuff left is the silicone molecules.

FireFoxcut9
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm glad I found this!! I hope it works on mine, I got thishttp://amphigory.com/wigs_really_long.html for my Chi cosplay and it. looks. like. crap. lol I'm definitely going to try this once it gets here from my g-ma's house. Thanks for the good advice!

Rosethorn22
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I love you.

My wig was so badly matted that the front sections formed a chin strap when you wore it :/ It's a cheapo ebay wig. I used this, and I can run a fine comb all the way through it now! The fibre still feels like shit, nothing's gonna change that, but wowwee, I can't believe how much better it looks. I took a bunch of before and after pictures, so I'll be sure to post them when I get a chance :)

tehkukikookie
07-06-2011, 09:49 PM
My store doesn't carry the spray, but they dud have the 3 in 1 lube in a little bottle. It worked amazingly! O.O Though, using my hands as the application tool wasn't easy.

CardinalWinter
07-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank you so much for this! It saved my wig!

Kaheleon
10-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Oh my gosh you are a lifesaver! Thank you so much~!
I have to try this to my poor Grell wig. It has suffered greatly at the con and looks very very sad. ;A;

LolliManley
10-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Okay, so I've bought the 3 in 1 Silicone Spray Lubricant, and am too scared to do anything to it D: It' already dead, I don't want to kill it completely!!! Mine is a Miku ponytail clip-on, will it work on this too? Also, I bought a paddle brush and a wide toothed comb.... will either of them get stained? I have so far covered my gate door with black plastic bags so what do I do if it ends up looking greasy? What do I do then? D:

KittyKax
10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I found this tutorial a while ago and I actually wanted to try this for my new Hatsune Miku pigtails, they go to my freaking knees!!(I haven't even taken them out of the packaging cuz I'm afraid of tangling them XD)

However, I didn't want to accidentally mess them up, so I decided to test it on my Sailor V wig, I'm probably gonna replace it later anyway. After Anime Expo the wig had obtained some massive tangles and became unmanageable(partially do to my careless-ness as well :blubber: ) so I decided to try this method on it to see if it would work.

I couldn't find that 3 in one stuff tho, I tried Home Depot(didn't have anything that would work :P) and then I went to Lowes and I just decided to get this:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s241/KittyKax/002.jpg

I went home and tried it out(hanging the wig in my garage)and I just lightly misted it and ran my finger through to get the tangled out, for the really stubborn ones I just shot a spray on it and it came right now. I've let it dry overnight and it looks pretty good, I probably could have sprayed it a little more but I didn't wanna go overboard ^__^''

But anyway, this stuff is AWESOME!! Whoever thought of this is a GENIUS!!! :bigtu:

fey4life
12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
great help! thanks for taking the time to review this product. it really helped!

Mehdia
02-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I have recently gotten my wig for Stocking from Panty and Stocking and was worried about it tangling (I'm not used to wearing super long wigs), but reading this has made me feel a bit better about wearing it now. I can't wait to try this.

Quinn The Spazz
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you so much for this. I plan on cosplaying Isaak from Trinity Blood (His hair goes to his knees) and I was deathly afraid of how I was going to keep a wig like that from tangling immensely. I've been working myself up into a panic about it. ^^

Anhelitta
03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Thank you so much for this. I plan on cosplaying Isaak from Trinity Blood (His hair goes to his knees) and I was deathly afraid of how I was going to keep a wig like that from tangling immensely. I've been working myself up into a panic about it. ^^

I know the feeling...doing Astharoshe Asran from Trinity Blood and my kitten managed to get to my wig before I got the chance to do more than take it out and play with it.
I am trying another method with Motions hairspray first...assuming I can't get most of the tangles out by myself...but if that doesn't work I probably will be heading to my local hardware store for this stuff.

Josette0688
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Yay! Hopefully this can save my never used, already tangled lulu wig! :heart: Hopefully this works for my party city cheapo :/

LonLonMarin
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure what happened, but this technique wasn't very successful for me. I bought the 3-in-1 silicone lubricant spray and when I got home I did a quick brush through my untangled wig to make sure there weren't any knots. I lightly misted the wig to avoid making it greasy and I sprayed my comb as well. As I combed through the wig it seemed to be making it worse because knots started forming. I would give a quick shot of the spray, but it didn't help at all, it just made the knots wet.
I untangled what I could and left it for a day. The next day I thought, "Maybe I didn't use enough," so I tried again but this time I sprayed more. Well, my wig does look a little greasy, I pulled out a lot of hair because of all the knots the spray was causing, but now it's a teeny bit easier to comb through. So, a little more cons than pros to using the spray.

pc_alchemist
03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I just used this on my Miku clip-pony tails. This is the product I used.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/pc_alchemist/020.jpg

B'laster Silicone Spray Lubricant. I got it at Home Depot in the Hardware section. Just ask were the WD-40 is.

I don't have any before pictures. But here are the ones I do have. Sorry they are so dark.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/pc_alchemist/019.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/pc_alchemist/023.jpg

This worked pretty good. Now the spray doesn't exactly 'mist' out like the directions ask you to. It is more quick spurts. So I flickered it quickly over my wig on both sides (I turned the clips around. In the pictures they are hanging from the window rail with trash bags taped to the window.) When it wasn't super tangled, I actually sprayed a little in my hand and ran my figures though it to make sure it got everywhere a little.

I did get a wet-stringy look, but as it dried through the day I just shook it with my fingers to try and fluff it up every 1 or 2 hours. It helped. I tried to take pictures of me shaking it with my figures to try and fluff it up.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/pc_alchemist/022.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/pc_alchemist/021.jpg

I'm really happy with the result. I had taken the wig out for an outdoor photo shoot and it was pretty tangled. During the process of doing this, one of the pony tails actually fell down but the tangles just came right out with my figures with the treatment in it! I love this thank you so much for your post! :)

spookysage
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
This is an awesome method, and inexpensive too - I picked up a can of B'laster spray and a bag of vinyl gloves at Home Depot for about five dollars. Now I can even run a fine-toothed comb through the treated wig with no ill effects! Like pc_alchemist said, this brand squirts from the can in a fast stream rather than a mist, so I kind of massaged the spray in with my gloved fingers to get it started. It also helps to spray onto the comb and then work it into the hair, particularly so you don't get the ends too wet.

DudettRin101
09-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a hopelessly tangled Konata Izumi wig that I have tried for hours on end to untangle since my first use. I've been unable to wear the costume since the first time because of the wig. Hoping this will work to get it untangled.

Viveeh
09-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I bought the three-in-one brand and used it on my longest wig, and my Miku twintails. The first one, that is made from a ratty, coarse fiber, didn't get much prettier. I thought maybe it was because I didn't use enough, but when I used more, it seemed to get just more ratty looking. I hope the spray will at least help me untangle it after wearing. The tails on the other hand are a beautiful fiber, and they got even more easily manageable, and there are less flyaway hairs. Thank you for letting us know about this!

Fabulousity
10-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Will this prevent tangling as well? I just got an Enchantment from Amphigory, and it tangles just from walking. Will this stop that?

WaffleNeko
07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
This actually works!!
I just kept spraying bit at a time (cause I didn't know how much would make it greasy), and eventually it helped be comb out all the tangles!

Kayla Marie C
08-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I hope this saves my hopelessly tangled Sailor Moon wig T.T after one day at MegaCon my wig was unbrushable. I sat after the con on my living room floor brushing and brushing and hours later Iput it away. I'm looking forward to trying this!