PDA

View Full Version : dmc sword atachment

grimtaz
07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
hi all i have another question related to my dante costume!

can any1 think of a way i can attach the sword to my back while still bieng able to draw it but without using some sort of scabard?

long quetion i know the only way ive got in my head is to use magnets sown into an under-shirt and then one in the sword!

well any thoughts would help!

thx in advance

zenithvsp
07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Well that would be hard my friend. The only way I'd think of would to be using some sort of socket/hook type ordeal. Or perhaps a simple ring that the sword simply slides into. That hook can be as simple as a harness or strap on your back with a hook, that hooks onto your sword sort of like a clothes hanger or something of that sort. Or you could find some sort of clip like found on Leather MP3 cases (where the clip on the back of it, hooks up to your belt), and use that to simple hook onto your costume or some sort of sling/harness strap....whatever you have. Well that's probably all I can think of right now, anyway good luck on your sword.

-Jarred

Ante
07-23-2009, 06:34 AM
to hold Dante's sword on my back I used rare earth magnets. they were glued onto some tradesmens suspenders or braces, which u could wear under your shirt. i wore them over the top of the shirt, which was kind of stupid of me. heres a pic showing the suspenders: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1944208/

and the other half of the magnet is glued to the sword. i ended up having to put some duct tape over the top of the sword magnets, as they pulled right out of the sword because they're so strong. maybe they could be embedded into the sword somehow. but apart from that, the magnets worked really well. it was easy to get the sword on and off my back, my coat didn't get dragged down, and the magnets are pretty much invisible.

sapphirefox5892
07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
I had an idea for something for another costume.

My idea was to put a large magnetic strip on the inside of the coat and then the same on the sword. if the sword is light enough and the magnets are powerful enough it should hold it..i think.

daguru
07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
^ What Ante said

I attached neodymium magnets inside my sword and I sewed a pocket into my coat which contained another magnet.

EDIT: No wait, I held it up with PURE MANLINESS

Ante
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
at first i tried using magnetic strip, but it didn't work for me. my sword only weighed less than 1 kg, or about 2 pounds, but the magnetic strip still refused to hold the weight of it :( but maybe it would work ok for someone else.
sometimes the pull of the sword will drag the back of your shirt and/or trenchcoat down, so magnets attached to some kind of harness mite be best, like braces/suspenders, or even a sports bra (sorry guys).

grimtaz
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
thanks all for advice and ante you look awesome as dante! but iam liking the braces idea!

LordDraco3
07-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I just made this, and it appears to work great!
http://i25.tinypic.com/2di11sz.jpg

I used heavy canvass to make a very simple harness (straps are 2 inches wide), which fastens using industrial strength velcro. The magnet is sewn into a small pocket over my shoulder blade (the pocket is on the inside of the harness), with a small hole on one side of the pocket so I can pull the magnet out (very tight fit) for washing. It can be worn under any article of clothing, and since I cosplay fom DMC1, I would have to wear it under my black underarmor.

Th magnets I used are VERY strong (they come with a warning label!), and without anything between the harness and sword (weighs a bit over 2lbs), I can even jump up and down and keep the sword secured. I can't jump if I've got thick cothes between them though, like my leather coat, but it's still strong enough for walking around. The magnets would be able to hold more weight, but the magnet in the sword has about 1/4" of material covering it (wrapped it in tape, copper wire, small amounts of hot lue, a very thin layer of air dry clay, and some paper mache).

I may order a larger magnet to place into my harness, but the type that's inside the sword seems more than adequate. If I get the chance, I might also try out a 2-magnet design so that the sword will attach at 2 points of the harness, keeping it at an angle (like Dante), and should also keep it from flopping around.

Seority
11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Anyone have advice for this for DMC3 Dante? He doesn't wear anything except a strap underneath his coat. I'm guessing it's going to be some kind of strap that he can wear over his coat. The magnet idea is really awesome though.