PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2: DOG

ZerglingLeader
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I thought of this costume last year and it's been brewing in my mind ever since. I've shot down scores of design ideas and hinging/maneuverability, but I really think I have something here. I did a couple of sketches that I feel good about, but the actual Idea is quite difficult to explain.

The arms would be puppeted keeping the overall proportions of DOG in-tact. I really wanted to do it last year, and I feel like posting even the Idea here is a way of setting it in stone. I'm going to start work on it next week, so I'll try and post updates throughout the year to show the progress. (The project might simply crash and burn, but I'll never know unless I try.)

I hope to get your support and feedback all the way.

Wish me luck, because Dear God I'm going to need it.

SvK
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I thought about making DOG when I met him in the game, but quickly rejected the idea because it was beyond my skills. I will be happy to see your costume progress. Seize the day! Failure is for other people! Go! Fight! Win!

ZerglingLeader
07-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I thought about making DOG when I met him in the game, but quickly rejected the idea because it was beyond my skills. I will be happy to see your costume progress. Seize the day! Failure is for other people! Go! Fight! Win!thanks for the support. Im attending an Art College and I have a pretty solid understanding of Papercrafting. It's less of a costume and more of an engineering/puppet problem. There are lots of ways to solve each problem, but only one that works the best. I'm currently devising a mechanism that involves allowing the fingers to open and close. It won't be easy, but it will be fun! I made a prototype of the head, I'll post it later.

CDF_Vagabond
07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
If I could be of some assistance I have not played Half Life before but I know a lot when it comes to costuming/puppeteering, and papercrafting. Right now I am not sure of the character of DOG but if you would have a ref picture of the character I belive I can help you with the cstume since I'm been doing this costuming thing for the last 10 years.

ZerglingLeader
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
If I could be of some assistance I have not played Half Life before but I know a lot when it comes to costuming/puppeteering, and papercrafting. Right now I am not sure of the character of DOG but if you would have a ref picture of the character I belive I can help you with the cstume since I'm been doing this costuming thing for the last 10 years.

thanks CDF, I would really appreciate the help. Is there any way of posting Images directly to the forum? All I'm getting is attachments. There may not be a way to. But there's the image. All I had was a ton of angled frontal views and a shotty backshot. My friend turned me on to a wonderful thing called Google 3D Warehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/) I highly recommend it to anyone making a costume that is Geometric or Robotic. Now I have a full 3D model of DOG for reference. Something that, as I realize now that construction has begun, would be impossible without. I'll have Pics of the head prototype soon.

ZerglingLeader
07-31-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the offer CDF, I'm sure I'll be referring to you for a great many things like materials and technique. All I had to work with was some crummy lo-res front and back shots, but my friend introduced me to a wonderful thing called Google 3D warehouse. I highly recommend it for anyone doing geometric or robotic cosplays. It gave me a full 3D model of Dog that, as I realize now that construction has begun, I would have been hopelessly lost without.

OK. First photos up.

The first few are photos of the prototype head. REALLY ROUGH. Be noted. The final will be sculpted and 3 dimensional. Really it was to test the hinge design I came up with. It's a little too small, and in fact, will be probably one of the last things I construct. Currently I'm working on the geometrical back crest, (second set) which is life-size. I got some thin Illustration board that I think is Ideal for this formation. it costed a little more than I expected, so I built this prototype out of poster-board to get the proportions correct. it took alot of guesswork and eyeballing, but after 3 tries I finally got the pattern the way I wanted it. It's hard to believe I'm actually starting this thing. It's been stewing in my head for SO long. It will be good to capture the whole process on the thread. see you when the crest is finished

ZerglingLeader
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh, and here's the actual photo, for those who don't know what he looks like. Any way to make these images visible on the page?

CDF_Vagabond
08-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Ok now after looking at the images I see the tutorial I am wanting to make for you will be a bit harder than first thought. Doing the costume using posterboard is a very good idea, also if you can find a 3D file of the DOG I can open it in my Pepakura Designer and make you the files for the costume in a week. When you make it using posterboard remember that you will want to use fiberglass resin to harden the posterboard material. For the arms I am still not sure how you will be able to pull that part off for the costume but the only suggestion is to use 4 pieces gluing the sides of the board together and having your arm inside of the two pieces when you put it together.

ZerglingLeader
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok now after looking at the images I see the tutorial I am wanting to make for you will be a bit harder than first thought. Doing the costume using posterboard is a very good idea, also if you can find a 3D file of the DOG I can open it in my Pepakura Designer and make you the files for the costume in a week. When you make it using posterboard remember that you will want to use fiberglass resin to harden the posterboard material. For the arms I am still not sure how you will be able to pull that part off for the costume but the only suggestion is to use 4 pieces gluing the sides of the board together and having your arm inside of the two pieces when you put it together.

thanks for the input. Actually I am having a bit of trouble problem solving. The base shape for dog's body is an elongated sphere. I'm having trouble brainstorming how to make that shape I suppose I could make it a HUGE PaperCraft project, but then there's how it would be transferred from a printable form to life size. I considered making it out of chicken wire and plaster, but not only would that look questionable, but I imagine adhering it to the cardboard to be next to impossible. I made the back crest out of cardboard, and plan to make the lip around it out of poster board (since the little lip needn't support any weight. The lip isn't present on the 3D model, making for a lot of guesswork on my end. I have constructed the equivalent of a ball joint out of cardboard and plan to use it to support the arms. I have my own Idea for how to puppet the arms. I even made a REALLY goofy sketch to kind of show what i'm talking about. The 3D model can be found here.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9cdeeeb9ec97ce404c872b0e77c9ff09&prevstart=0

The arms are free moving, controlled from underneath my my arms. I'm simply having trouble finding a way to make the shape of the torso. Not drawn quite to scale BTW, I think I want my head to go in the highest part of the crest.

RetsofNoraa
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Jeez, every time I think I have an original idea, it gets shot down; I just found your post today after buying some materials to make a DOG myself. XD I hope you don't mind if I make one too; it seems we'll be using different methods.

If you do have a 3D model of Dog, would you mind posting back- and side-views?

ZerglingLeader
08-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Jeez, every time I think I have an original idea, it gets shot down; I just found your post today after buying some materials to make a DOG myself. XD I hope you don't mind if I make one too; it seems we'll be using different methods.

If you do have a 3D model of Dog, would you mind posting back- and side-views?

Gladly. I hope that we can share our progress. Mine doesn't need to be finished until next July, but With College and a likely summer job, that leaves the occasional weekend and Christmas break. Do I mind? I don't own Dog. Of course not! I welcome the competition. It's not like your using my method. I found the 3D model here.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9cdeeeb9ec97ce404c872b0e77c9ff09&prevstart=0

just download Google Sketchup (Freeware)
From what i can tell, it's the exact model, but the textures are different. it has helped me infinitely.

UPDATE: The Back crest is well on it's way to being complete. I have to do the geometric lips around the sides. the elongated sphere that makes up the rest of the body? well, that's the next hurtle. I'll post picks of the crest fleshed out in cardboard as soon as I get home.

ZerglingLeader
08-11-2009, 10:27 AM

I'm not exactly sure what that last bit meant, but I think most of this can be done without Pepakura. I linked to the 3D file above, and I have my own joint method for the arms. What I really need is advice for how to make the sides as spherical as they are. do you think I should use card/posterboard, or is there another material that would be best?

RetsofNoraa
09-18-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm not exactly sure what that last bit meant, but I think most of this can be done without Pepakura. I linked to the 3D file above, and I have my own joint method for the arms. What I really need is advice for how to make the sides as spherical as they are. do you think I should use card/posterboard, or is there another material that would be best?

I've begun work on my costume, but pics won't come for at least a few hours; besides, due to life issues I haven't been able to start until tonight. (Plus I didn't know how to find scale sizes in that program until recently, heh-heh.)

Anyway, I came up with a method that may help you get that effect. It won't be perfectly spherical, but it'll help with the illusion and it keeps you from having to join over 9000 individual pieces. Basically you lay out your pattern in reverse on foam board, then cut deeply along the lines but not all the way through, so there's still a connection on the other side. In effect you're able to 'hinge' the board to the desired shape; I'll be able to explain it more clearly when I post pictures.

EDIT: I'll also add a screenshot of D0g from behind, which took me for-freaking-ever to get ahold of.

Sixx
09-18-2009, 01:32 AM
I'd love to see some progress photos. I almost have my Overwatch Pusle Rifle mocked up and ready to be detailed, I'm going to post something when I have it looking gun-like. All of the crazy angles and shapes meant that I had to build it in like 4 seperate parts.

Good luck though, this sounds awesome.

flyinvee11
09-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Am I the only one who has noticed a correlation between the way DOG moves and the way the Tank moves in Left 4 Dead?

RetsofNoraa
09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Am I the only one who has noticed a correlation between the way DOG moves and the way the Tank moves in Left 4 Dead?

Not anymore. :D Considering the fact that they both have physiques similar to a gorilla (i.e. big arms, small legs), I'm not altogether surprised.

RetsofNoraa
09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Here's the first progress picture. Obviously a lot of work ahead of me.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/retsof-noraa/DSCF0226.jpg

This will eventually become D0g's right heel. It's 1' 9/16" wide, around 1' long, and 6 11/16" high. I obviously won't have it duct-taped together like this; I plan on using caulk or something similar then detailing it to look like a weld, as well as a bit of reinforcement on the inside.

ZerglingLeader
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Okay. nearly a year later and I'm here to kick this thread back up again. I didn't find time or resources last summer before Otakon. Then sophomore year of college hit, and I had to put this project out of my mind. But this summer I have a paycheck and some free time.

SO THE CHALLENGE IS ON!

I've devised an innovative way to make the body, and will begin work on the arms in the coming weeks. wish me luck. If this project gets put off again, it may just go the way of the dodo.

RetsofNoraa
05-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Okay. nearly a year later and I'm here to kick this thread back up again. I didn't find time or resources last summer before Otakon. Then sophomore year of college hit, and I had to put this project out of my mind. But this summer I have a paycheck and some free time.

SO THE CHALLENGE IS ON!

I've devised an innovative way to make the body, and will begin work on the arms in the coming weeks. wish me luck. If this project gets put off again, it may just go the way of the dodo.

I'm trying to reinvigorate my project as well, but I'm nowhere near as lucky as you are to have a steady job. My drive is strong, but my ability is - sadly - not

RetsofNoraa
05-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry about the double post, but I felt it was important to note that I've started a video log of my progress. This first video details what has become of the part I posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JDigtvC7E

As I stated in the video, I'm currently working on the 'spine' portion of D0g, after which I'll make the main body; his limbs and head will come down from that and be attached to me in various unspeakable ways.

ZerglingLeader
06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for Posting Rets. I'll definitely be tracking your progress. From what I know I really think we are probably the only two people in the cosplay scene that are crazy enough to attempt this. So far I have the form done for the main body and the geometric crest along his back, which I will be casting in plaster probably by the weekend. I'm currently making miniatures of the arms to try some problem solving without wasting resources. I've already tried and failed with paper mache and paper clay, so now it's on to the plaster. and spackle! keep me posted. I have dozens of photos throughout the project that I will be posting.

KiranS
12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I was hoping 6 months later that you guys would post more, but appearently not. Oh well, I understand everyone is busy (like me, or else i would have just gone to a REAL scrapyard and gathered pieces, but it's only the little things stopping me.) I suppose i would make a statue unlike a costume, and I'd love to see the results (if any, seems like you both have been busy.) I wish you both the best of luck!

RetsofNoraa
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, life has a nasty habit of getting in the way. I'm in college with no cash right now, so I'm kind of helpless. DX