PDA

View Full Version : old school but not really series

Rhi
07-24-2009, 02:13 AM
I dunno about some of you, but I've found that as I ponder over what to cosplay for AZ 2010, I draw blanks for the most part on account of not being 'caught up' or current with any shows or video games. (yes, I know half of you are probably saying that i'm a walking contradictory or something. why do i even bother going to cons then, right?)
It's just that I lack the time and/or money to really get so involved in a show that I want to cosplay... so right now, as far as knowledge about a show goes, and not just cosplaying it for the sake of looking good and not hardly knowing anything about it (oh you know you do it too), Toonami comes to mind.

You remember- if you werent home to watch it, you set your VCR to recorded all of your favorites- Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing, Gundam 08th MS team, Cowboy Bebop (well, that was on AS) Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon, DBZ... then you'd finish your homework as fast as you could so you could spend your evenings watching them? When anime was really getting big in the states- or at least on American TV? Yeah.... those were the days.

Point being made, I would like to do an 'old school but not really' kind of group. I'm only 20, and the thought of an anime I grew up on really being considered 'old school' doesnt really seem to fit well.. but maybe it's just me. seems like a lot of them are stuck in that limbo to where they can't really be called old school yet but they're not current either. I'd like to do something and/or anything from the series listed above, and lots more shows that I know I'm leaving out.

I DUNNO MAYBE BASICALLY A TOONAMI GROUP, WHAT THE HEY.

so now that I've rambled, is anyone interested?

Brutal
07-24-2009, 02:42 AM
wow, that sounds like an awesome plan. xD

Aduial
07-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't go on about being 20. Some of us are 8+ years older, and while that doesn't seem like a lot it is when you consider that we remember Speed Racer being on tv when we were babes. (Not to disregard your age; just keep in mind that there are some cosplays approaching/are over 30.)

In any event, a Toonami group does sound like a good idea but I won't be participating. I did not have Toonami growing up so my "old school" loves came from series on VHS such as Ranma 1/2. Right now I'm working on cosplays from newer series such as Shugo Chara, Bleach, and (planned) 07-Ghost, but I have seen a major comeback in cosplayers doing Sailor Moon and DBZ.

Fallain
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Aaaah...the good old days of Toonami when the robot was short and fat. <3

There's actually a Gundam Wing group getting together, so far we have a Duo (me), Heero and Quatre (if they come with those cosplays), a Milliardo and possibly a Trowa.

I'd personally fangasm if I saw someone running around as Washu though. Tenchi Muyo was my 1st anime and she was my 1st anime hero that really got me into anime. Her wig would be a nightmare though...

LanceBardock
09-24-2009, 05:48 AM
:bigtu:So how about dubbing it "Toonami (V1-V2)" group
Alot of gold came from that slot, and i for one would not be the otaku i am today without toonami as my gateway. Hope it works out

Syrenrei
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I did Sailor Pluto last year, I could certainly wear her again. I am also planning to be part of a Magic Knights Rayearth group (I'll be Umi). Those are both 'old.'

KiwiNinamori
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Can Card Captor Sakura count in that group? It use to come on on Fox Kids at the same time of Sailormoon and such. I was planning to go as Sakura for AZ '10.

LanceBardock
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Actually, I'm wondering if Mighty Morphin Power Rangers count. I'm making a new Ninja Ranger costume, and I think I'm going to make one for my kids too,

MinaUchiha2
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Can Card Captor Sakura count in that group? It use to come on on Fox Kids at the same time of Sailormoon and such. I was planning to go as Sakura for AZ '10.

CCS was actually on Toonami for awhile so if its a Toonami group CCS would count.

KiwiNinamori
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
great^^