PDA

View Full Version : Ed and Ein stolen plush design.

coscrew
08-12-2003, 01:05 PM
I'd like to inform everyone who's going to CN to watch out for Bandai's new Ed and Ein plush that's coming out this month. The design was stolen from a famous commission plush artist. Ripped off, right down to the hair design. Now that's she's voicing her oppinion, she's being threatened by bandai that they will sue her if she doesnt' take the images down or call the dolll something else.
This really makes me mad, you really have to see it to believe it. Her design was made september of last year, and the new bandai "design" is due to be released this month.

for more info please see:

www.ufocatcher.com

Zelly
08-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I can't wait until those come out. ^_^ I hope lots of people buy them~

*is a bitch* *skips off*

xiola
08-12-2003, 09:46 PM
that sucks so much! corporations never care -_- which makes sense, but given that they have so much money to begin with, you'd think they could afford to either NOT rip people off, or give them credit, or pay them off. dickheads. it's people like that who make artists feel like "why bother?" -_-;;

oh..... and i'm SO JEALOUS OF WHOEVER HAS THAT SANZOU PLUSHIE!! o_o;;; *sulks* it's the cutest thing ever ;_;;;

Kisa
08-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by coscrew
I'd like to inform everyone who's going to CN to watch out for Bandai's new Ed and Ein plush that's coming out this month. The design was stolen from a famous commission plush artist. Ripped off, right down to the hair design. Now that's she's voicing her oppinion, she's being threatened by bandai that they will sue her if she doesnt' take the images down or call the dolll something else.
This really makes me mad, you really have to see it to believe it. Her design was made september of last year, and the new bandai "design" is due to be released this month.

for more info please see:

www.ufocatcher.com

You might want to be more specific with the URL.
I didn't see anything except a splash page for plushies, and I don't have the time or patience to go digging through the site, looking for info and pictues so I can compare.

I agree Xio. I love that Sanzo Plushie. >.<
He's like me. Only a boy. And a priest. And with a gun... and well... a doll...

coscrew
08-13-2003, 07:47 AM
ou... it's actually been removed now since bandai was threatening to sue...

actually, here's the custom,
http://www.ufocatcher.net/hatsukoiplush/02-0902.html

she's had to change all the names to sample.. ><

and here's the rip off:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/KVNVRt694QBHVTm7xX/browse/item/60550/4/649/0

Chosuke
08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
oh..... and i'm SO JEALOUS OF WHOEVER HAS THAT SANZOU PLUSHIE!! o_o;;; *sulks* it's the cutest thing ever ;_;;;

I know!
It IS Sanzo.The plushy epitome of our fav gunslinging potty mouthed priest xD
And I think actually that 'SanzoGojyo' of cosplay.com owns it.

K_Valentine
08-13-2003, 10:09 AM
I actually find the "official" version cuter.

archangeli
08-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Didnt' I read a long thread about this somewhere already??

Or maybe that was on the AN website's forums...

...Yup! I have. Recognize the plushie pics. I like the original better too.

*is confuzzled*

ObsydianClaw
08-13-2003, 10:31 AM
I find this so wrong. Kind of like having your art stolen. Makes me mad....

lainey
08-13-2003, 02:02 PM
*ticked*

Boycott bandai's design of it LoL

Kisa
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Ahh Bandai. Now I have a legitimate reason to not support you and have no guilt in doing so.
Not that I have guilt. But it just sounds better to say that you do.

nuriko001
08-13-2003, 03:34 PM
they didn't design it, she did.. i saw that LONG time ago.. it' is an exact replica.. but her dog is soo much cutter..

it's okay.. i don't like the series anywho.. and no money to buy.. so i will boycott:)

xiola
08-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Mitsumori's is much nicer tho (K-valentine what are you thinking the bandai one's cuter? o_O it's like... cheaper/crappier looking.). but that's what you get with custom tho... *sigh*

well, i don't buy much merch. to begin with, so... i would say i'm boycotting them except that would give me too much credit ;P (except for shaman king plushies... i have one of those... and i love it... but i didn't buy it so it doesn't count ;P)

Kisa
08-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Basically, people are going to agree that it's wrong, until something they like comes out by Bandai.

And I strongly suspect Bandai knows this, so in all honestly, my pragmatic view is that nothing will get done.

It's like dvds. Even tho they're ripping people off by putting say... 3 episodes, no extras and charging 40$, people will buy it if they want to, rather then live without, or willingly buy bootlegs without a care that the owners don't get the proper royalties.

It's just one big mess really.

Takuma-san
08-15-2003, 01:07 AM
LOL, Bandai's version of Ed looks sunburned.

How would this all work legally, anyways? Bandai is suppose to own the characters, but the artist in question did come up with the design, of which Bandai almost completely imitated.

Though, one nega-brownie point for Bandai, for lack of originality and corporate meanism.

Kisa
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
You know... Bandai is one of the corporate supporters of CNA.
If you care about this issue, there are things you can do.
Like write letters to the CNA organizers.
Or make a big sign with print outs of the plushies and carry it around as part of your 'costume' ^_^

coscrew
08-19-2003, 08:11 AM
yeah, but they don't seem to care tho.. they've already been bombarded by emails from angry plush artists and the like, and they didn't feel that they were doign anything wrong, or feel the need to respond. the more that we pushed, the more that they got angry at Hatsukoi...

i think boycotting is the only thing left to do now ><

Kisa
08-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm sure the Media will be at hand ;)
and there's always the ever so tacky, but amusing Sign taped on the back.

Kaijugal
08-19-2003, 02:04 PM
I find this so wrong. Kind of like having your art stolen. Makes me mad....

It's not like it, it is. Copying any form of art is plagerism, (and it works both ways)

Unfortunately because her design is based on a character who's likeness is owned, she has no legal recourse. We've been thru this with Kaiju ega.

Kisa
08-19-2003, 02:20 PM
It's an Ethics deal, which is what is annoying.
But then so is willfully distributing pirated anime then. Think of it as a form of rebellion and support OTHER companies (maybe write to THEM and say that...) and infringe on Bandai, since they apparently have no problem doing the same.

It's stooping to their level, but they seem to have no problem with it, and sometimes it works.

LupinSansei
08-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Where can i get that original ein/ed plushie. Does the guy still sell it? If so do you know how to contact him?
Thanx

xiola
08-30-2003, 01:39 AM
.... you obviously didn't read the beginning of the thread. or, read it thoroughly, at least... go back and read it, it'll answer your question.

(or, at least, explain why the answer is NO, you can't have it! >P)

LupinSansei
08-30-2003, 01:52 AM
.... you obviously didn't read the beginning of the thread. or, read it thoroughly, at least... go back and read it, it'll answer your question.

(or, at least, explain why the answer is NO, you can't have it! >P)

Okay I read the whole thread it just talks about how bandai has legal rights and how hers looks better and blah blah blah, I dont see anything about her taking it off. I see the site doesnt sell it anymore. What i want to know even tho we cant make the transaction publicly. We can probly make it privately. I just need her email adress so she can make one for me privately. Get it!!

coscrew
09-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Okay I read the whole thread it just talks about how bandai has legal rights and how hers looks better and blah blah blah, I dont see anything about her taking it off. I see the site doesnt sell it anymore. What i want to know even tho we cant make the transaction publicly. We can probly make it privately. I just need her email adress so she can make one for me privately. Get it!!

I'm not sure if she's taking anymore commissions at the moment.
it's not like she's mass producing them anyway. you'd have to special order it and i think she charges about $300.

LupinSansei
09-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Ok thanks coscrew but do you know her email or how i can special order it. Money is no problem for me.