PDA

View Full Version : Original Character Cosplay: Should I Even Bother?

Naudae
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Needless to say, it's fun dressing up as a known character from any one series. However, recently I've seen a number of people dress up as their own personal character, a character from the depths of one's own imagination, and people flock to them and grab just as much, if not more, attention for it.

This leads me to think if it's a good idea to attend a convention as an original character. Oh, it should be noted that I don't technically crave attention, but it'd be nice to be noticed, like having pictures taken of yourself by others(self esteem issue...don't ask).

Amegakure_Konan
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I think it depends on the O/C. Some of them are really cool, and some are just scary in a sad sort of way.
If the character is well put together, then I say go for it! There is nothing wrong with being imaginative and original, and it never hurt anyone.
Some purists may dispute you but fie on what they think.

fujyoshi
07-28-2009, 08:41 PM
you can always make an outfit inspired by anime or something but its original.

TransurrealisTristan
07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
To say the most,I'm planning to cosplay as my original character for the 2010 cosplay season.

Reason #1:Rian turns 21 in 2010!~
Reason #2:2010 marks Rian's 5th year in cosplay!~
Reason #3Just for kicks!~

EgnirysFaye
07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I agree, it does depend.

Some OC's seem just strange, whereas others look too much like a Mary-Sue. There have been instances where OC's were just downright inappropriate (Too much skin, for example)

But with that being said, there have been some lovely concepts. I am personally just neutral about the whole thing, because like any other cosplay there will be OC's that I like and others that I just really....not like.

Also, in addition to looking cool, the character should also have a cool and attractive personality ^_^ without it being strange/cooky/Mary Sue/Cliche etc.

Regardless, Cosplay is about freedom of choice. Go for it, and good luck!

Sirblood
07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
My Halo costume is a Mark VI just like the Master Chief wears, but the paintjob it totally different... yet I always get called the master chief. My armor is also slightly different... oh well...

If your inspiration comes off a well known series, you may very well get recognized at least for the series it came off of.

I have a facination about armor, thus most of my cosplays are fully armored in one way shape or form... My Ryu Hayabusa is my own inspiration, but the headpiece gives me away as Ryu...

If you have fun, then by all means do it!!!

Yanoshe
07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I say do it. Even if you don't receive much attention for it, I think you'll still have a blast being your character. I mean, if you can't dress as an OC at a con, then where else besides a larp or something? Go, have fun with it.

And if you'd really like a response, just make sure it's done well. Everyone has an eye for hard work and detail, yah?

~H~
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
So long as you're actually making an effort with your original character costume, I think most people tend to be charmed by original designs ^_^. I have two of mine online here currently if you're curious:

Valentine Kitty - http://www.cosplay.com/costume/94878/
Golden Kittygirl - http://www.cosplay.com/costume/94370/

They both got some nice reactions when I wore them out at cons ^_^.

Angelx624
08-01-2009, 01:10 AM
I plan to do some original cosplays next year. ^_^ I'm looking forward to it. <33

Angel_Cakes
08-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Original Characters are fine as long as they are well put together in my opinion and are actually original and not a MarySue.
I'm planning to do a whole cosplay series of original characters all based on different colours or flavours. So I hope that'll be a blast!

BAMF
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
You could do an OC, but no one would recognise you. But if that doesn't bother you then go ahead.

Squeesax
08-01-2009, 11:40 AM
You won't get recognized but LOTS of people go as their OCs, it's totally fine. If your outfit is cool people are still going to approach you even if they don't know who you are.

OT a bit XD: Every OC is a mary sue unless they're some pointless background fodder character. That only applies to fanfiction though, if its your own story then ok XD Though calling someone's character a mary sue is kind of redundant because they all are.

thetollofdeath
08-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Just make sure you're character's not a Mary Sue/Gary Stu/whatever have you and they're actually INTERESTING and they look TOTALLY AWESOME! then you should be fine.

And it would be better if the character was from your own series, and not a random ninja from Naruto, sort of thing.

El-Zombo
08-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd say go for it, man! I've been planning to get a Gwar-like costume band for years and one of the publicity to-do's was to attend cosplay/anime/comic conventions in full get-up.

If nothing at all, I'm sure people are wowed to see original costumes from time to time. Besides, a room full of Naruto's can get a little irritating. Like a week full of rain clouds, you just want to see something different after a while.

Ri-KunTehFluffy
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
For a festival, my friend is dressing as one of my original characters. I'd like to dress as one, too, but I'm already making a costume. >_<;

itsuki<3pudding
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Original characters are really nice to see. I think that you will get plenty off attention as long as it's an interesting and eye catching costume. Not those people with Hot Topic clothes and cat ears wondering why nobody is paying attention to them. XD I don't recognize the majority of costumes at an anime convention anyway.

Naudae
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
For one, I'm stunned that I got this much attention for this topic. I thought it'd just fall by the wayside, so to speak. It looks like I've found a rather interesting/friendly bunch of people with the same interests I have after all....(after being ignored all of my life so far, it's nice to have people actually pay attention to what you do).

Well then, I'll likely complete the outfits and have a friend or two shoot photos of them and post them so you all can tell me if they're really original or "carbon copies" of other characters.

fluffygirl56
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Ill definitely be looking forward to it. You raised an interesting point and so far i agree with all the comments here.

Except the Mary Sue part maybe because even if your character is a complete Mary Sue no one will know unless you want to act exactly like you OC and give everyone your OC's life biography.

I think OC's are very nice though because whether someone knows who you are or not a good costume is a good costume. Like they said though dont make it creepy!!!

^.^ Cant wait to see the piccies!!! OC's are very unique!!!

WilwarinAndamar
08-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I've worn many OC costumes to cons before. My first one was a closet-cosplay of a catgirl-schoolgirl. I had a great time wearing it, and it was really comfy.

My friends also make YouTube parody videos, and I've made a bunch of costumes for them (all of them were Original Characters.) I've worn them to cons, too.

If you like the character, go for it.

SushiBunnie
08-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Can't wait for the pictures! ^^
Heh, my first year in an anime convention, I cosplayed as my friend's OC, which wasn't that hard. I basically looked like a girl with a scarf and some 'random' accessories.

And at the end of the day, someone actually took a picture of me. I was a bit confused, since it was my first year. So I awkwardly posed, right on the spot.
I guess the pic of me is forever lost in the internet o_O

Mamo&Theta
08-10-2009, 12:38 AM
_Awesome, I'm Glad there's actually a Post that blogs about Originality =D, We personally do OC, for a Comic we have on progress. Tho it's harder; it pays off :bigtu:__For us, when we take them to Conventions. It's all about attention lol (paparazzi) If we don't make a huge impact it means it wasn't good enough,for Us. Here is one Pic from OC ->Eczema (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1866293/)____ Best of Luck on your future projects. creativity is a beautiful thing =D