PDA

View Full Version : Gurren Lagann Yoko - Before Time Skip

JadeyTheKitty
07-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Since my KH2 Kairi cosplay is about 90% done, I'm about to start work on my Yoko cosplay for AWA and Dragon*Con.

The majority of it I have a good feel for. I have a friend who is a wig guru giving me advice on styling and I don't think I'll have much trouble with her battery powered rifle (any tips would still be appreciated, though). The skull in her hair is also planned for, though I haven't yet decided what the best way to attach it will be.

Boots are covered as well. I'm either purchasing a pair or looking into plastic paint and making them myself (very tempting if I have time).

I'm thinking about sewing the fire design onto the bikini using a sports material. Would this be a good plan, or would painting the design on be a better bet?

I've heard pink opaque leg warmers work well, but if there is something better to use, I'm all ears.

The two things I'll have the biggest problem with are Yoko's neck scarf and the yellow plastic chopsticks in her hair. I want to make the scarf and I'm not sure where to buy the chopsticks.

What would be the best way to make the scarf to get that pattern? I suppose I'll have to sew different coloured strips of material together and I can already see that being a complete pain.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it!

StrawberrySiren
07-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The stockings can be thigh high stockings rather than leg warmers and the chopsticks can be knitting needles. I suggest posting a reference picture and/or looking at the large Gurren Lagann thread.

JadeyTheKitty
07-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks! Sorry, I'm rather new to navigating the forums and I didn't master the 'search the forum' tool until after I posted. The chopsticks question was the only one I really had left after that -- I was about to come do an edit just now!

Thank you again! :3 I had thought something like that might work, and this confirms my suspicions. I'll be off to pick up a pair tomorrow.

Yo-Yo
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
The scarf actually was what tempted me to make this costume myself, though I'm not a Yoko fan so I disregarded the idea. XD;

It looks like a big, doubled over tube of fleece, to me. You find the height you want it to be, double that, and sew the stripes on (not as much of a pain as it sounds with fleece). Then, fold it over so the wrong side is showing, sew the bottom, and flip it right-side out so the stripes are showing. Then, add a zipper to the open ends, and voila!

I also agree with sewing needles&stockings.

As for the flame designs, do not paint them on, please. Appliques are so much better. Spots material may be a little stretchy, if you're thinking what I'm thinking, so try a cotton, or what I'd use, some vinyl. I always thought she looked like she had a shiny look to her costume. Then again, I haven't put a lot of thought into it. XD;

Also.. Check out the Gurren Lagann thread. It's helped me a LOT on my Adiane.

JadeyTheKitty
07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
I actually bought a bathing suit pattern to make the top and shorts. :3 The shorts she wears are even on the pattern *facepalm* Why Yoko wears a bathing suit into battle, I'll never know. I'll be able to jump in the pool (sans the wig) when I finish this, though.

Bathing suit material is really shiny and has a nice feel to it. I'm going to make the entire thing out of it so that it will match the top more accurately. And, as I said, there is a pattern for it. I giggled.

I'll try that on the cowl! I just bought the fleece and everything today, so... here's hoping! I also nabbed the sewing needles while I was out. Hancock Fabrics is my new best friend.

youmee400
09-15-2009, 11:31 PM
This may not help at this late date but for my chopsticks I used really long paintbrushes painted yellow with the ends snapped off

Axelai
07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
From my personal experience, do NOT sew the flames on. Paint them with many many many layers of fabric paint.

I say this from me looking at Yokos at Anime Expo a few weeks ago. I painted mine on. While this was tedious (as it kept drying with streaks, so it took me a good 5 or 6 layers of paint til it looked good), i looked way better than the other Yokos there. Sewn on ends up looking a little unnatural, while painting looked pretty good.

I see though, someone else disagrees. XD; I guess the only bad thing about painting them, is i'm scared to take it in the pool. Even if it's all fabric paint, and therefore supposed to be safe, i don't want to risk it.

Well, you choose for yourself. Here's a picture of my Yoko bikini, fabric painted on. http://i27.tinypic.com/tarfvq.jpg