PDA

View Full Version : Mehron vs Kryolan and a color question

Regan
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey, guys! I'm looking to cosplay this World of Warcraft Draenei (http://www.scummshop.com.ar/images_productos/PR0802_02.jpg) next Dragoncon, and as such I'm looking for some makeup to paint myself a lovely, medium/medium to light shade of blue... however I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out the how-tos. I'm fairly certain that I'd like to use a water-activated makeup, something like Mehron Paradise or Kyrolan aquacolor comboed with a sealant so that it stays put all day. My friend had actually highly recommended the Mehron after her most recent cosplay, finding it easy to apply, easy to wear, and more important, the fact that it dried enough to actually allow her to wear it against clothing and even on her hands. Plus the color looked rich and fantastic.

My problem however is that the Mehron colors are extremely limiting, and I think that the rich blue lagoon is just too dark, and the light blue is just too light. My first thought was to apply the blue and then add a layer of light blue on top in an attempt to mix them, but I have no clue if this is possibly to do without streaking. As such, I've been looking at Kryolan; their palette is larger, but at the same time I've heard a mixed bag of things, including from browsing the forums here. Ie, ease of use for newbies like myself, getting a nice finish, stay-put ability for things like hands and up against clothing, and just the texture of the product in general.

So I'm wondering - anyone out there have some opinions concerning Mehron vs Kyrolan? Or what success you've had using Kyrolan for your own costume? As a second question, what from either product would you recommend for a shade of blue similar to this tone (http://www.scummshop.com.ar/images_productos/PR0802_02.jpg) (I'm very flexible here in terms of the hue of blues/purples/greens/etc... I just want something that looks pretty, rich, and isn't insanely dark or insanely light)? I've found a slew of Kryolan pallet images, but very few that actually shows those colors on skin.

Mangochutney
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
It's perfectly fine to mix colors (in, say, a bowl) before applying them. Kryolan Aquacolor, being liquid, is especially useful this way. I mixed dark and light blue in equal parts for a color just a bit darker than your Draenei there.

Regan
07-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting; thanks for the tip! Do you know if the same can be done for the Mehron? My impression is that it was fairly solid, but I have no idea of the constancy after adding water.

Mangochutney
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Never tried it with Mehron. If it's water-based, though, I would assume you can dilute it a bit without incident.

Satine
08-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I mix eyeshadows regularly by crushing the heck out of them, mixing and then pressing back into another pot with a little alcohol. In theory you should be able to do similar with the Mehron by crushing and mixing it in another container- a little water will help I'm sure. The repressing isn't vital for eyeshadow or body make up so long as it is all well mixed. This was simply so I could travel and have all my shadows in one simple kit.

KittyCanuck
08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Check out my Gallery; I have some preliminary Draenei painting tests in there. I used the Mehron Cremeblend sticks, and it worked great. I used a blue and a white stick. I used a knife to cut off a slice of each stick, put them into a bowl, and mixed them together until they were a solid colour. I did not add any water, because I used the creme and not the dry pucks. Went on very nice, without streaking (I did a brush-on layer with a makeup sponge, and then I did a stippled layer with the same makeup sponge to avoid streaks).

As with any regular body paint, you'll have to seal it using powder and/or barrier spray to prevent it from coming off as much. No paint can fully stand up against clothing rubbing on it, so be sure and keep extra of the mixture with you for touch-ups if you need them during the day!

Little Miss Sin
08-01-2009, 03:54 PM
In this link, there are a few choices of Blues/Green/Purples you can choose from, its bright enough and trust me will show on your skin. You can make it brighter by dabbing the brush with water, or you can possibly make it subtle with adding some white. These colors mix fantastically.

Its name is true to word: Lime Crime So Bright its Illegal. :/ Some may not like it so bright though but for those wanting a little “bam” to their costumes I say go for this.

http://www.limecrimemakeup.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_66