PDA

View Full Version : Rennaisance Faires?

Zeruda
08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to make your Nice, Clean, Newly-Finished garb outfit look like it has been through ten years of mud and grime and adventure?

I've decided that rolling around in the local park after a storm would scare the kids.. o_o;

Kitzune
08-12-2003, 11:19 PM
wash it the costume 3-6 time to add wear to the fabric and if you are still sewing add rough edges to the seams to accentuate wear.

~kitzune

Kaede
08-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Also besides the heavy washings, if you want the worn-in look of garb (dyes didn't hold long at all) get fabrics in authentic shades for your class...ie no black for peasants. Smooth fabrics like brodcloth and cotton aren't easy to make look the period...instead try something coarsegrain or etc: wool, leather, gauze.

Stephanos
08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Unless youre going to be a peasant... most faire people I have seen don't really try to age or dirty the costumes. They kind of just get that way anyway after just one faire all day! :)

Zeruda
08-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone ^_^ Yeah, I wouldnt use dyes as I want it to be somewhat natural looking, and all my stuff [besides the shirt] is pretty coarse. I plan on being a peasnt because I doubt I could ever pull off royalty at a faire e_e;

Thanks again :D

Satine
08-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Ack! No black for peasants? The why are Bruegel's peasants running around with black partlets..;) The dye was fugitive so it didn't stay deep black for long, but you aslo have black wool from black sheep.. overdye that with some deep dark dye and you'll have a black for the poor.

And those peasants also show lovely blues and reds and yellows.

And your linen should be white. Linen bleaches when you boil it so even the poorest had white linen. Otherwise you were dirty. No one would wander around in "natural" linen because simply washing it in period techniques (anyone talked to their grandmothers and how they boiled their linens?) makes it white.

You can age things by running over them with the car.. though that's really distressing them..

Personally my SCA persona is able to afford good wools and have nice garb, but not to the point of wearing rich silks and gold as I can't afford that stuff.. well I could but I wouldn't want to wear it anywhere for fear of ruining the silk.

OK, I'm editing this rather than creating a new post seeing as I'm still the last commentor;)

I found a page on black dyes and it shows how easy it was to produce, at least for the masses. There were more expensive dyes for the wealthier:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/5459/bliaut4.html

I was also given a "recipie" to dye leather black, or use it to draw designs on leather:
boil nails etc (iron) in vinegar and if you can leave it over night to really work. Then you can use the liquid to dye leather.

I have't tried it yet, but I have plans for a pair of vegetal leather shoes I have half made.

neko_trin
08-19-2003, 03:13 AM
i thought it was blues (?) and/or atleast purples that were the hardest to make and that's why alot of royalty wore those colors...

but yes your clothes get plenty "worn" looking by the end of the first day *lol* i had to beat some of the dust out for the second day last year just so people could tell my dress was supposed to be green. =^-^=

Mandy Mitchell
08-19-2003, 02:30 PM
A general rule of thumb, you want to avoid wearing black unless you're an aristocrat or a pilgrim. Do not wear purple. Only the Queen can wear it.

Satine
08-28-2003, 10:56 PM
There are so many colour myths...

Blue: simplest easiest dye to make, but the pigment for painting with is much harder. Which is why there is very little in the way of blue garb prior to a certain date. There seems to be a lot more in the 18thC.

Purple: You can get a huge range of purples from single dyes and over dying. The "royal purple" is a sort of wine colour rather than purple.

Wear purple. Don't give two hoots about people who don't bother to learn what was acheiveable and what was restricted. If it's soemthing you could be banned from the Fair for, give them some real dyeing advice. Educate them. I doubt you wouldn't be allowed in the door anyway. It being open to the public and all.

Oh royal purple in Elzabethan was restricted to the aristocracy but only for silk. Of course in period that covered nearly all velvet, satin and taffeta's;) Seeing as synthetics weren't available. But then you could wear royal purple wool or linen of course.

And of course it was only Royal purple.

Black... good grief I wish people would read things. There are so many peasants in Bruegel's paintings that are wearing black partlets you can blow that myth out of the water just using his paintings!

Oak galls and rusting iron. That's all it takes. That was available for so many people.

Of course it was fugitive, so I'm wondering if that's why there is so much grey in Bruegel's paintings as well. Full garments (lined with red or yellow or green or blue...) would have been much harder to redye. Especially when lined in a nice pretty colour you want to keep as well.

And if you overdyed too many times you ran the risk of detroying hte fabric. I'm pretty sure there is tannin in the Oak gall recipie...

duck
08-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Yay, Satine!

That's really all I have to say.

Besides, most faires aren't terribly strict about what you wear. People tend not to sidle up to you and tell you what they think is correct.