PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is shojocon about???

Shadowlvr
08-12-2003, 10:33 PM
lol i have no idea what this con is about lol and i just wanna kno if someone is willing to tell me. Im going to BAAF so maybe if i like what u people say about it ill go next yr ^_^. from what i read that u guys have posted theres not a lot guys is that true??? cause im a guy and i dont wanna feel awkwerd. lol i think i heared Sailor Moon in one of the Threads. i Love that show! :D

hikura
08-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Well i am guy and i am going.Ranma Saotome is going and he is also a guy.
Shoujocon is pretty much like any other con with only a few exceptions.It has panels and topics that refer to shoujo manga aka girls comics.The plots and the stories revolve around inter personal relationships of the character(s).There will be panels on such things but also have what a typical con might have.Special guests etc etc.
Do not worry there will be guys there.Come to the con and have fun.

Eriol
08-12-2003, 11:38 PM
I would say the girl-guy ratio is probably 70-30. Since this con has a focuse on anime and manga for girls and women, some "guys" don't want to have anything to do with this subject matter. The plots of these shoujo manga and anime tend to be about personal relationships, interactions among characters, and other emotional topics. You don't get much violence for violence sake in the plots.

Shadowlvr
08-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Soooooo like love hina???

Eriol
08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
We have a working definition of shoujo anime and manga here.

http://www.shoujocon.com/chronicles/chronicles_whatisshoujo.html

At the bottom of that page are links to other references.

Also, here are some examples:
http://www.shoujocon.com/chronicles/chronicles_shoujoexamples.html

Love Hina is not shoujo. The artist's intention and the plot/premise of the show make the anime and manga targeted at males. (i.e. there is quite a bit of fanservice toward the male audience)

Shadowlvr
08-13-2003, 03:27 PM
ohhh thx for clering that up for me guys ^_^

Michela
08-13-2003, 07:20 PM
<b>You don't get much violence for violence sake in the plots.</b>
That's true, but one mustn't rule out the possibility of violence being present in the shoujo genre. Though I would consider this as a category on its own, Angel Sanctuary, which is known to be Shoujo, if filled with violence, however tasteful it may be. Other shoujo involves hero vs. villian conflicts, like the classic Sailor Moon or Ayashi no Ceres, which can indeed become violent. That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't say Shoujo is mainly about relationships between characters, though the subject *is* very prevalent and is to be celebrated among fans, especially at the upcoming Shoujocon. ^^

Eriol
08-13-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm not excluding all violence.
Most violence that occurs in Shoujo have a strong meaning behind them. This isn't "senseless violence."

ProctorSilex
08-14-2003, 05:25 PM
violence, heh. dbz vs. escaflowne. no contest XD i'm really on the fence when it comes to shoujo and shonen subjects. i like some of both.

i've been rather intrigued by shoujocon, so i have many questions too.

i heard/read that there is a much larger 18+ aged contingent than at other cons. by that i mean people over the age of 18 (not pr0n), which is really what i'm looking for. i'm 24 and looking to meet fellow con-goers in my age bracket :D

btw, i was thinking about driving up for saturday to check it out this year. anyone interested in going too?

Shadowlvr
08-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Proctor Silex, i wish i could go but im going to BAAF. Is anyone thats going to Shoujo con going there 2 ? well i dont think anyone would because it would be a pretty penny to make it to both conventions.

Are ya dressing up ProctorSilex??

ProctorSilex
08-15-2003, 10:00 PM
shadowlvr, it doesn't look like i'll be making it to shoujocon. but i will be cosplaying at all cons from now on ;) i have pics of the two kenshin costumes i did for otakon this year. what cons do you go to?

Eriol
08-15-2003, 11:56 PM
i heard/read that there is a much larger 18+ aged contingent than at other cons. by that i mean people over the age of 18 (not pr0n), which is really what i'm looking for. i'm 24 and looking to meet fellow con-goers

Larger, but not much larger. This is not Yaoi-con, which has a mandatory 18+ age requirement.

makonurikoryoko
08-16-2003, 01:45 AM
yes its for all ages but there is qite a vast spectrum of Yaoi fans present at Shoujocon and also a Shounen Ai love in YAY all night yaoi! XD hehe I think shoujocon has it all personall y ^^
and since when do people consider Angel Sanctuary shoujo.... o.O
lol oh wlel ^_^ I just wish I coul dgo ::screams and shouts:: Someone say hi to Tomoko for me!

Eriol
08-16-2003, 08:53 AM
yes its for all ages but there is qite a vast spectrum of Yaoi fans present at Shoujocon and also a Shounen Ai love in YAY all night yaoi! XD hehe I think shoujocon has it all personall y ^^
lol oh wlel ^_^ I just wish I coul dgo ::screams and shouts:: Someone say hi to Tomoko for me!

There you go again, Miss. Being certifiably insane with your uber hyperness...heh And you're the one who is going to potentially miss it.

Shoujocon may have the all-night Yaoi showings, but I don't think that number of 18+ people is as large as other cons.

Michela
08-16-2003, 01:32 PM

I am one of those rabid shounenai fans, I assure you ^_^ ('Twas too bad my Mika-chan couldn't go... Mika-chan is not only a yaoi fan, but also a yaoi *boy!* Yaaay! He's every convention fangirl and yaoi fanboy's best friend. ^^)

Angel Sanctuary is considered Shoujo mainly because the was released in the shoujo magazine Hana to Yume. It is also considered shoujo for its involvement in deep romances... I personally believe AS is in a category on its own, though (It has a bit of *everything,* one must admit.)

hachikin
08-16-2003, 02:32 PM
i'm 24 and looking to meet fellow con-goers in my age bracket :D

i hear you, proctorsilex! me too. i'm sure i would've loved shoujocon when i was 15 or 16, because most cons i went to didn't have as many teenagers there. but... yeah. i'd like to meet more con-goers in their mid-twenties & up as well (i'm 26; my SO is 33). we should've reserved space in the clubhouse or something for us oldsters. ;) too bad you won't be making it this year!

shadowlvr--i'm going to both shoujocon & baaf. i live in queens, so it's easy to get to baaf just for one day--why not, right?

ProctorSilex
08-16-2003, 10:32 PM
hachikin, heh, yeah, it's tough being a geezer. i know alot of 20-somethings attend otakon, but i find it hard to meet people (other than the wierdos that latch on to you...) in all the commotion.
there's some convention just for cosplay. i gotta figure out which one it is. i bet they have alot of geezers like us ;)

if you guys attend katsucon or otakon, maybe we should meet sometime.

oh, hachikin, what do you mean by "SO"?.... oh, waidaminute. significant other? XD

Eriol
08-16-2003, 11:35 PM
hachikin, heh, yeah, it's tough being a geezer. i know alot of 20-somethings attend otakon, but i find it hard to meet people (other than the wierdos that latch on to you...) in all the commotion.
there's some convention just for cosplay. i gotta figure out which one it is. i bet they have alot of geezers like us ;)

The science fiction convention have older attendees. So, you could always drop in one of those conventions. And many do wear costumes.

If you are in need of a medieval kick, there is the Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA).

oh, hachikin, what do you mean by "SO"?.... oh, waidaminute. significant other? XD

SO = Significant Other
You will have to look elsewhere. heh

hachikin
08-17-2003, 12:46 AM
sf/f cons seem to have older attendees, i guess, than shoujocon @ least. i've not been to a ton of anime-only cons, but the underage presence has seemed considerable @ all of 'em!

proctorsilex: i've never been to otakon or katsucon... i mostly like shoujo, & get annoyed @ other cons w/the small amount of shoujo programming. plus either of those cons is a roadtrip for me... cost of roadtrip plus cost of hotel equals better have a lot of stuff i like @ the con (ie. shoujo). heh. actually i'd like to go to otakon someday but i have yet to persuade my so (yep, sig oth).

Shadowlvr
08-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey hackikin man i cant wait untill BAAF maybe ill cya there.

ProctorSilex
08-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Eriol, yeah, the SCA. i had some friends in high school who do something like that now. not sure of the name.
"You will have to look elsewhere. heh" thpffft! it matters not! i look everywhere and all the time! :D

hrmm... sci-fi cons... i dunno. any suggestions for the east coast? i know a couple who went to such cons. they're originally from NYC too.

hachikin
08-18-2003, 08:21 AM
whoa shadowlvr, i just noticed you're from michigan. so, yeah, i can imagine going to both shoujocon & baaf would be a little pricey. ^^;;;

proctorsilex--i used to go to icon on long island when i was in high school & college. although it seemed to get more media-star-oriented which irritated me as time went on. i don't know what the anime track is like, though i've heard it's getting bigger, because i wasn't into anime in hs.

chai_fiend
08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
uh what is this about all night showings of yaoi??? does shoujocon do this very year??? *getting really excited and giddy*

Eriol
08-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Eriol, yeah, the SCA. i had some friends in high school who do something like that now. not sure of the name.
"You will have to look elsewhere. heh" thpffft! it matters not! i look everywhere and all the time! :D

hrmm... sci-fi cons... i dunno. any suggestions for the east coast? i know a couple who went to such cons. they're originally from NYC too.

The SCA is broken down into "kingdoms." Each kingdom represents a geographic region of the U.S. or another country. Within each kingdom, there are local chapters. So, if you go to the www.sca.org, you can find the local chapter and visit them. From what I hear, it's a pretty tough recreational activity. heh

I am not well-versed in sci-fi conventions. A search on Google using a few keywords reveals some.

LunaCon: Rye, NY
I-Con: Stony Brook, NY

Eriol
08-18-2003, 09:42 AM
uh what is this about all night showings of yaoi??? does shoujocon do this very year??? *getting really excited and giddy*

Yes. And they are shown only late at night (usually begins at midnight).

marsie
08-18-2003, 12:19 PM
The yaoi fans mostly come out at night...mostly..

Yes! Older Shoujo Fans *Marsie is 23* We are having a clubhouse time for all cosplay.com members on Saturday afternoon. *prolly around 12-3* Cause I am working registration and cosplay activities, I won't be able to host anything on Saturday late afternoon. ^_^

Hope to see you all at the club house or in the registration line. Ask if Marsie is around. ^_^

hachikin
08-18-2003, 12:31 PM
hm, i'll have to try & check out the clubhouse meetup, then. i'm working the info booth @ undetermined-as-of-yet times throughout the weekend, but hopefully not TOO much. ^_~

marsie
08-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Hachikin- Are you on the Publicity Com? I am Beth *_* It is great to see another staffer on this site!

YEA!

hachikin
08-18-2003, 12:52 PM
hahaha, hi beth! this is johanna. ^_~ meet you soon!

Eriol
08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
There shall be no discussion about work here. heh

5 points from Slytherin.

Shadowlvr
08-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Wow theres a Yaoi showing. *_* maybe i should swich my BAAF tickets for some Shoujocon tickets.

*scraches head* is today the day Shoujocon is?

Eriol
08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Wow theres a Yaoi showing. *_* maybe i should swich my BAAF tickets for some Shoujocon tickets.

*scraches head* is today the day Shoujocon is?

Yaoi is shown at Shoujocon in the late night hours.

Shoujocon is August 22-24 (Friday-Sunday).

marsie
08-18-2003, 07:31 PM
There shall be no discussion about work here. heh

5 points from Gryffindor.

Everyone knows that Publicity Committee memebers are all Slytherins to the bone.

Actually Laura(Reg Com Chair) and I were talking about that last night. I might have to break out a Slytherins costume for the staff party.

Eriol
08-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Everyone knows that Publicity Committee memebers are all Slytherins to the bone.

Actually Laura(Reg Com Chair) and I were talking about that last night. I might have to break out a Slytherins costume for the staff party.

I've corrected this.

It shall read: 5 points from Slytherin.

And another 10 points from Slytherin for being a know-it-all.

Shadowlvr
08-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Was the Shoujocon yesturday???

Eriol
08-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Was the Shoujocon yesturday???

It was not yesterday. As I said in an earlier post, it's August 22-24. It starts this Friday.

chai_fiend
08-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Yes. And they are shown only late at night (usually begins at midnight).

well i know what i'll be saving up for next yr...muhahahahahaha! and then i'm already 18 now so no problems. i wish i could go this yr, but silver ash had to cancel so i wouldn't be too excited...

hachikin
08-19-2003, 10:08 AM

ack, who made that rule up while i wasn't looking? i am SO not a slytherin. :untrust: :)

Eriol
08-19-2003, 11:10 AM
ack, who made that rule up while i wasn't looking? i am SO not a slytherin. :untrust: :)

10 points from Slytherin for Marsie's falsehoods.

So, hachikin, didn't you go through the Sorting Ceremony? Or are you from another magic school?

hachikin
08-19-2003, 11:32 AM
So, hachikin, didn't you go through the Sorting Ceremony? Or are you from another magic school?

*nose in air*

i'm a gryffindor, thankyouverymuch.

definitely not a slytherin, though. i NEVER root for the baddies. ;)

Shadowlvr
08-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Thats kewl that its this friday i hope all of you have a fun time.

marsie
08-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Slytherin aren't all bad. *does a sexy snake pose*

You can be our one freak, hachikin.
*mumbles something about stinky lions*

Eriol
08-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Slytherin aren't all bad. *does a sexy snake pose*

You can be our one freak, hachikin.
*mumbles something about stinky lions*

You're far too cheerful to be a Slytherin, Miss.

hachikin
08-20-2003, 08:36 AM
i'm wondering how eriol got to be the one giving & taking points from houses, btw... :razz:

Eriol
08-20-2003, 10:05 AM
i'm wondering how eriol got to be the one giving & taking points from houses, btw... :razz:

Because, I'm the only one whose avatar could pass for a House professor? You all seem to be playing along with this so far. heh

hachikin
08-20-2003, 03:29 PM
hahahaha... i'm surprised you didn't deduct points from gryffindor for me asking.

so were you eriol @ shoujocon last year too? i seem to remember one, but i didn't take any pictures so i dunno.

Eriol
08-20-2003, 05:01 PM
hahahaha... i'm surprised you didn't deduct points from gryffindor for me asking.

I'm not in an irritable moode like Professor Snape often is.
Don't make me irritable. heh

so were you eriol @ shoujocon last year too? i seem to remember one, but i didn't take any pictures so i dunno.

I was not Eriol last year. I was Li, actually, but I only was wearing the costume for a sum total of 4 hours spread over Sat. and Sun. so only very few got photos of me.

The Eriol costume makes its first appearance at Shoujocon. I don't know how many Eriol costumes will show up, but since I'm on staff, I should be easy to find.

hachikin
08-20-2003, 05:22 PM
hm... i definitely remember li cosplayers @ shoujocon but i don't remember specifically which ones which years (i've been to all shoujocons so far, woo! the first year i'd hardly even watched any anime--i went & watched the ccs movie @ the con because i'd heard of ccs before).

anyone wanna bet on the # of sakura in her joker battle costume (sorry--i don't remember which card it was for offhand) cosplayers we'll see? not that i blame them--it's a pretty easy costume. if i ever do a sakura costume i'll probably do the batwing one BECAUSE it's easy (also cuz i think it's cute).

Eriol
08-20-2003, 06:30 PM
I prefer (you can see this coming) her wizard outfit. heheh