PDA

View Full Version : making a crimped wig straight

squeaky
08-13-2003, 11:26 AM
I just ordered a wig online for my Nakoruru costume, and I noticed after staring at the picture for a long time that it's crimped!

Does anyone know how I can make it straight? (it's synthetic, so nothing with heat)

Koumori
08-13-2003, 11:31 AM
You can use heat on wigs - in fact, you'll need to if you want to straighten it. You just can't use direct heat. I don't know whether it's possible to straighten a wig if the fiber is actually crimped, but you can try Katie Bair's hot water method. http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_straightening.html

squeaky
08-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Thank you for the link that was really helpful to me!

That seems like that would work pretty well. My only problem is I'm gonna have to do the long wait, because the wig is butt length.

Cyber Wolf
08-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Oooo, ooo! XD I got these braid extensions to make a ponytail for my wig and they were all crimped, so I used Katie's method. However, it didn't work. So I took out my hair iron and used that instead. One swipe makes it really straight. ^^

Bell-chan
08-16-2003, 05:14 PM
That straightening method is useful! ^.^ Thanks for posting it, Koumori!

*Jibrielle*
08-18-2003, 07:35 PM
That iron thing works for me but the katie method is good too ^___^

KaraokeKate
08-26-2003, 01:36 PM
If by "crimped" you mean you got something like "Yaki" for extensions (instead of "silky") then yeah, the hot water method isn't going to work very well for you, since the fiber type is all wrong. Yaki fiber is desined to STAY yaki, since it's used primarily for making braid or dreadlock extensions.

I've found some wigs that use a similar fiber type (they call it "textured") but they react the same way. That type of fiber is used to add body to some wig designs, and feels coarse to the touch.