PDA

View Full Version : Can't find specific striped fabric...

~Sango-chan~
08-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Okay so I am planning on doing a cosplay of Fujimoto from Ponyo, and can't find any turquoise and white striped fabric so I am considering other alternatives:
1. Sewing on ribbons
2. Sewing on fabric
3. Fabric paint (I have already eliminated this option as it is too messy).

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner and this will be my first coplay that *I* myself will actually make, so if anyone happens to know where I can find some actual fabric with the striping on it I will love you forever :D (or even an easier way to attach to the fabric and making it look amazing).

Reference pic (there are not many more decent ones of him from the front):

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/p/images/ponyo-0.jpg

Thanks in advance ^-^

PuyoDa
08-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Would this work?
http://www.babybedding.com/blue-stripe-fabric

~Sango-chan~
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Would this work?
http://www.babybedding.com/blue-stripe-fabric

Ohhhhh that looks really close....hang on. Doh! Doesn't ship to my address [slaps hand on forhead]

Sorry, thanks for looking. The blue is a little pale (being it's called light blue XD [fyi, laughing at myself]) than I would like, but I definitly could use something like this as a backup just in case everything else falls through.

Even so :bigtu:, you are now my friend forever :angel: yay :D

PuyoDa
08-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Aah, that's too bad about the shipping! This one is probably a closer color, but it's swim suit material. I'm not sure if that would work for a suit XD;;
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=BBB853

~Sango-chan~
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Aah, that's too bad about the shipping! This one is probably a closer color, but it's swim suit material. I'm not sure if that would work for a suit XD;;
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=BBB853

I have seen that one before, but it's swim suit material (like you said). That would make a pretty odd suit XD
You really are helping, because this gives me an idea of what's out there :D

Kurioh
08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=BBB891

This perhaps?

~Sango-chan~
08-15-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=BBB891

This perhaps?

It's a little dark, but I can probably use it if all else fails :D

Garen
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
It's a little dark, but I can probably use it if all else fails :D

It's a bit dark and it's a bit lightweight. Notice that the description says it's suited for blouses. However, that site is excellent, very dependable, and they have a very good selection of just about everything for very good prices. I'd do a search for striped fabric, narrow it by colour, and browse around for medium-weight stuff (labelled "suits, slacks, and jackets"). Home decor should work too, but make sure it doesn't have plastic backing.

Thiefette
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
If you have a steady hand (and a lot of patience), you might want to consider making the stripes yourself on top of a white fabric! It's really quite simple, too. Just figure out the spacing and the width of the stripes, get a ruler (or yard stick!) and paint the stripes in the way they would look if you bought the fabric using fabric paint.

If you tend to mess up a bit on straight lines, you might also want to consider placing down masking tape.

Hi, I didn't think about this at all last night while watching the movie :D

~Sango-chan~
08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
If you have a steady hand (and a lot of patience), you might want to consider making the stripes yourself on top of a white fabric! It's really quite simple, too. Just figure out the spacing and the width of the stripes, get a ruler (or yard stick!) and paint the stripes in the way they would look if you bought the fabric using fabric paint.
I am just wondering which looks best: fabric paint or sewing on the stripes?

If you tend to mess up a bit on straight lines, you might also want to consider placing down masking tape.

I have thought about that, but I have heard that fabric paint is expensive, and although I am willing to pay a lot for this costume that doesn't mean I will have enough money to have it ready by October (which is when I hope to present it for the first time, assuming that kids who come to the door know who I am :D ).

Hi, I didn't think about this at all last night while watching the movie :D

Really?! Saying that makes me suspicious :untrust: lol

wendy_sonali
08-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Have you considered looking for a red/white striped fabric?
Because if I recall correctly, he also has one of those. ^.^

Thiefette
08-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I am just wondering which looks best: fabric paint or sewing on the stripes?

I have thought about that, but I have heard that fabric paint is expensive, and although I am willing to pay a lot for this costume that doesn't mean I will have enough money to have it ready by October (which is when I hope to present it for the first time, assuming that kids who come to the door know who I am :D ).

Really?! Saying that makes me suspicious :untrust: lol

Oh no, fabric paint isn't at all expensive! I use what's often called 'puff paint', but it's fabric paint as well! The little bottles of Scribblers (better than the Tulid brand in my opinion and comes in more colors) and costs 99 cents at Michael's. A little goes a long way as well!

I personally think painting them on would look better than sewing them on, but I'm sure it's a personal preference. The thing about fabric paint is well... it paints onto the fabric! So it's going to automatically adhere to the original movement of the fabric. Sewing them on might not do the same thing and it might be more time consuming to pin and make sure your fabric is straight rather than to draw on your lines ahead of time.

I personally love fabric paint and have hand-painted a plaid skirt before. Here's how it turned out: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1898603/ I knew I wouldn't be able to find the fabric I wanted, so I just did it myself and it turned out lovely. It only cost $2 in fabric paint (one white bottle, one blue bottle) and 6 hours at most with 2 coats on the blue and 3 for the white.

~Sango-chan~
08-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Have you considered looking for a red/white striped fabric?
Because if I recall correctly, he also has one of those. ^.^

Yeah, I have considered that as well, but I like the blue one better :P I think it looks better with his hair (orange-red hair w/a red and white striped jacket kind of cancel each other out).

This is another option if I can't find my originally planned fabric. Thanks ^_^

~Sango-chan~
08-16-2009, 03:20 AM
Oh no, fabric paint isn't at all expensive! I use what's often called 'puff paint', but it's fabric paint as well! The little bottles of Scribblers (better than the Tulid brand in my opinion and comes in more colors) and costs 99 cents at Michael's. A little goes a long way as well!

I personally think painting them on would look better than sewing them on, but I'm sure it's a personal preference. The thing about fabric paint is well... it paints onto the fabric! So it's going to automatically adhere to the original movement of the fabric. Sewing them on might not do the same thing and it might be more time consuming to pin and make sure your fabric is straight rather than to draw on your lines ahead of time.

I personally love fabric paint and have hand-painted a plaid skirt before. Here's how it turned out: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1898603/ I knew I wouldn't be able to find the fabric I wanted, so I just did it myself and it turned out lovely. It only cost $2 in fabric paint (one white bottle, one blue bottle) and 6 hours at most with 2 coats on the blue and 3 for the white.

So do you sew first,*then* paint, or paint first, then sew?

How clean were the lines in the plaid skirt (can't really see it in the pic)?

Thiefette
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Here's the order I'd do everything: Wash the fabric as you normally would before sewing (however, I tip I've learned is if your going to paint it, don't use fabric softener! It goes on smoother without it!), then paint your lines, pin and cut out your pattern, etc. I'd do the painting before cutting and sewing for the reason that you want the lines to be completely uniform. You may get lines going the wrong way if you cut out your pattern THEN sew it.

My lines were incredibly clean, but that's more up to the person doing it than the paint. As I said, if you don't have a steady hand, use tape. I don't because I'm really good with straight lines with a paint brush (which is funny, because I can't make straight lines with crayons, etc. to save my life). I've attached an image of my progress back when I made it so you can see just how clean it is as well as the process that went through it for me. You of course won't be doing that much, as all you need is singular straight lines and one color of paint.

~Sango-chan~
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow!
Those pics look great. Thank-you soooo much :D
Should I post here once I have gotten started?

rollingstar5
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Reference pic (there are not many more decent ones of him from the front):

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/p/images/ponyo-0.jpg

I don't know if you've seen this one already but here ya go:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2qsccwn.jpg

Sorry for the randomness, just thought I'd throw it out there ^^;

Thiefette
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks! :D

You don't have to, of course, but I'd love to hear about your progress!

~Sango-chan~
08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh! One more thing, do you suggest white on blue or blue on white?
The most obvious choice is blue on white, but maybe there is a secret?! :D

~Sango-chan~
08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know if you've seen this one already but here ya go:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2qsccwn.jpg

Sorry for the randomness, just thought I'd throw it out there ^^;

Ohhhhhh, thank-you! I didn't see that one and I can always use more reference pics :D
Now I have about four.

Oh! and did I say I found a pattern?
Burda #8339 (finished product example: http://www.friendsofpr.com/Markie/final.jpg )
I haven't bought it yet (want to double-check to see if there is anything better), but I will have to extend the length of the pattern a bit :toothy:
I think it fits because of the round edges and the collar (obviously the shoulders are not exact).

Thiefette
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh! One more thing, do you suggest white on blue or blue on white?
The most obvious choice is blue on white, but maybe there is a secret?! :D

Ha ha ha, blue on white! You'll need less coats that way. I say two at most. Also, another thing that really helps is getting a flat, smooth brush. One's that are sold near fabric paint in craft stores are usually circular, which don't do the job for straight lines at all. I'd suggest cheep ones too, as fabric paint can sometimes mess up a brush more than any other paint can. I actually got the one's I use in a pack of about 15 at Wal-Mart for only a couple bucks. Best thing about it is it comes in a variety of sizes! I usually use the medium-most size, myself.

~Sango-chan~
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Any suggestions on what kind of fabric would work best with the jacket and the paint?
Want to make sure this turns out right (or as right as I can be) the first time...

Thiefette
08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, I usually use a thick cotton, but I know very well that even kona cotton can be a bit thin when it comes to white. I was actually looking at it the other day for a costume. I'd check out sportswear fabric in your local store and see if you can find anything thick with a nice drape to it for Fujimoto. The great thing about sportswear is it often goes for cheaper than other similar materials, despite being just as thick as some of the other stuff.

Really, just check your local store and see what you come up with. If your unsure of how well the paint will work on it, ask for a couple swatches on the fabrics you've considered and test out how well the paint goes on each one.

~Sango-chan~
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, I usually use a thick cotton, but I know very well that even kona cotton can be a bit thin when it comes to white. I was actually looking at it the other day for a costume. I'd check out sportswear fabric in your local store and see if you can find anything thick with a nice drape to it for Fujimoto. The great thing about sportswear is it often goes for cheaper than other similar materials, despite being just as thick as some of the other stuff.

Really, just check your local store and see what you come up with. If your unsure of how well the paint will work on it, ask for a couple swatches on the fabrics you've considered and test out how well the paint goes on each one.

Yeah, I looked at the pattern I planned and it's got too many extra cuts to it in the front.
I have been looking for a more boxy cut, but can't find one >_<
If you happen to see a better one, I would be much ablidged (spelling?) for more help :D