PDA

View Full Version : Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea

XoPinkuSpiderxo
08-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Anyone thinking about it?
I have my sights set on Ponyo's mother @_@

MDA
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I plan to do Mr Fujimoto! Ponyo's dad! I love his appearance and the fact that he's eccentric!

Chiisanahime
08-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Ooh~ I'd love to see Ponyo cosplays! Though I think a lot of Miyazaki characters are rather difficult to cosplay because of their simplicity (i.e. people may not recognize you without a little Ponyo plush or something ^^;)

XoPinkuSpiderxo
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
They'd be a lot easier to identify if they are in a large group. Like, you'd never recognize a young Sophie but you'd recognize Sophie with Howl in a heartbeat. Miyazaki cosplay makes my heart happy :D

~Sango-chan~
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I plan to do Mr Fujimoto! Ponyo's dad! I love his appearance and the fact that he's eccentric!

Me too. First time I saw him I didn't know what to think of him, then I thought "huh, he might make a good cosplay."

Just barely started, though (have you been able to find fabric?).

Anyone on this headed to SakuraCon or Anime Evolution?

ycysusan2001
08-15-2009, 02:52 AM
I did Ponyo's cos in comic-con this year. Though only got one pic (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/ycysusan2001/P7240208.jpg) ^^;;;since no one know who I am. plan to do a proper shoot end of next month~

XoPinkuSpiderxo
08-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I did Ponyo's cos in comic-con this year. Though only got one pic (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/ycysusan2001/P7240208.jpg) ^^;;;since no one know who I am. plan to do a proper shoot end of next month~

Cuuuuute!

LaPetiteSalope
08-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm working on my Ponyo cosplay right now (her human form)
:D
I can't wait to finish!

~Sango-chan~
08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
They'd be a lot easier to identify if they are in a large group. Like, you'd never recognize a young Sophie but you'd recognize Sophie with Howl in a heartbeat. Miyazaki cosplay makes my heart happy :D

I know what you mean, if susan:

had gone with a group of people, she probably would have been more recognizable.

wendy_sonali
08-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I have my sights set on Gran Mamare too!
The second I saw her on screen I said "I have to do this costume."

I may drag my bf into doing Fujimoto and his little sis into being Ponyo, so that we'd be more recognizable.

My only concern is that too many people might do it.

AlbinoPlant
08-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I REALLY want to cosplay Fujimoto from the scene when he's walking in the middle of the street with that sprinkler pump.. thing. xD It was my favorite scene in the whole movie, and he's just generally an awesome character. But I probably won't ever cosplay him because I am not tall, skinny, or have a big nose, and I try to stick to characters that I'll actually look like. But someone better cosplay him from that scene because I want to see it!!!

~Sango-chan~
08-16-2009, 02:12 AM
I REALLY want to cosplay Fujimoto from the scene when he's walking in the middle of the street with that sprinkler pump.. thing. xD It was my favorite scene in the whole movie, and he's just generally an awesome character. But I probably won't ever cosplay him because I am not tall, skinny, or have a big nose, and I try to stick to characters that I'll actually look like. But someone better cosplay him from that scene because I want to see it!!!

That's the scene where I thought "This guy is weird...but I kind of like him" XD
I think I love him because he is misunderstood as a villian, when really he is just looking out for his daughter's best interests (the loving father :D ).

ycysusan2001
08-16-2009, 02:26 AM
XoPinkuSpiderxo: thanks~

Fujimoto: I decide doing ponyo really last min after I find out Miyazaki is attending Comic-con. Im trying to convince one of my friend to do Fujimoto with me. ^^

Demon Doll
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I love Ponyo's mom too! <3
Maybe I'll cosplay her one day. Not sure if I will next year though..unless there will be a meet or something at comic con. <.< >.>

Thegirlinred93
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I want to do Ponyo so badly somedayyy D: It was such an adorable movie and Ponyo herself was so cute. :3

MDA
08-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Me too. First time I saw him I didn't know what to think of him, then I thought "huh, he might make a good cosplay."

Just barely started, though (have you been able to find fabric?).

Anyone on this headed to SakuraCon or Anime Evolution?

Yeah, I was like that with Fujimoto too. He amuses me so. I still haven't seen it yet TT_TT I hope to soon. Just sucks that I have to travel almost 3 hours to go see it. I don't wanna wait for it to be on DVD

I've been looking for fabric, but the closest I've found, is purple and white stripes. I don't think he wears a shirt like that in the movie. Not from the screenshots I've seen. Though I'm on the hunt for a wig more atm. I go from there with my cosplays. That way, the hardest part is out of the way (I've been trying for months for a long purple wig with no bangs that goes to about my knees and is a light purple)

~Sango-chan~
08-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I was like that with Fujimoto too. He amuses me so. I still haven't seen it yet TT_TT I hope to soon. Just sucks that I have to travel almost 3 hours to go see it. I don't wanna wait for it to be on DVD

I've been looking for fabric, but the closest I've found, is purple and white stripes. I don't think he wears a shirt like that in the movie. Not from the screenshots I've seen. Though I'm on the hunt for a wig more atm. I go from there with my cosplays. That way, the hardest part is out of the way (I've been trying for months for a long purple wig with no bangs that goes to about my knees and is a light purple)

I am cheating and special ordering my wig XD
sakurawigs [dot] com

I cheated when watching the movie, too, and special ordered it from Japan :crylaugh:

Aka-x
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Agreed, agreed! The dad, the dad! A very fun character he is~
<33

But you should do a group cosplay, no? I mean it's easier to recognize while in groups
-nods-
Haha~ I wish I had a little sister I could dress up as Ponyo
;~;
that'd be so dang cute! ...I have a little brother though~

xZombie.Lolitax
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I think that I might be able to Ponyo but I can figure out what color her hair is. Is is pink or orange? The pictures I find suck...

~Sango-chan~
08-19-2009, 11:13 PM
I think that I might be able to Ponyo but I can figure out what color her hair is. Is is pink or orange? The pictures I find suck...

It's a pinky-orange XD
I assume you are talking about the human ponyo (slight difference).
Here is a ref pic (if you don't already have one):
http://filmeyeballsbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Ponyo.jpg

xZombie.Lolitax
08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
So a brightish pink wig would work?

~Sango-chan~
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
So a brightish pink wig would work?

Depends on how bright (I light pink wig might work)

Squeesax
08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I got a henna red wig for Ponyo. It looks pretty darn close. I've still got to make the dress... and the con is in a week and a half now =_= I love this movie so much <3

It's almost an older!ponyo version (with long bloomers, rather then the short ones), because I'm a bit too tall to pull that off ^^;; I think this will be cute XD

~Sango-chan~
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
@Squeesax: Do you have a picture of the wig? I would like to see it. Where did you get it? How much did it cost? (if you don't feel comfortable answering the questions that's ok)

Teh Pocky Ninja
08-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Daww, I just saw the movie today ^____^ (Though I'd like to have a word with Mr. Miyazaki about all the blatant child-neglect that goes on in there...) And I'd go wild to see a parents-and-kids cosplay group of Fuji, Granmam, and Ponyo. xD I'm so unoriginal.

But hey, maybe I'll kidnap the 2-year-old that lives next door to me and dress her up >_> All I have to do is teach her to scream, "GIMME HAM!" and I'll be set :D

myiuu
09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I finished my Ponyo cosplay ;)
I just need to fluff my wig

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2229108/

Teh Pocky Ninja
09-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Awwww! You look so pretty! :bigtu:

~Sango-chan~
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM

That's awesome O.O
Wow.

EpicOrange
09-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I love Ponyo! I plan to cosplay her. Can someone reccomend a pattern for her dress? And tell me how to make bloomers... The con I plan to wear her to is in a week and a 1/2 (just like Squeesax).

lenecom
09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I love this movie!!

Saru-chan
09-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd love to do Ponyo! I'd have to find a lantern or prtable lightbulb to run around with on my head. xD I'd like to do her Mom or Fujimoto too. I kinda feel bad for him. He looks so sad in the end.

I saw Ponyo all by myself. I was the only one in the theater lol

XoPinkuSpiderxo
09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
What are some ways people could create her mothers wig and have it move?

Saru-chan
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Pinku! Get a long flowy wig, and carry a fan? lol I dunno

~Sango-chan~
09-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd love to do Ponyo! I'd have to find a lantern or prtable lightbulb to run around with on my head. xD I'd like to do her Mom or Fujimoto too. I kinda feel bad for him. He looks so sad in the end.

I saw Ponyo all by myself. I was the only one in the theater lol

I know he's sooo sad :waaaah: poor guy. But he truly loves his daughter since at the end he lets her go, so sweet :bigcry:

I saw Ponyo (English version) after I saw the Japanese version on DVD XD I went with my younger brother and there were only 8 other people in that theatre :D
It was really quiet and nice :)

Saru-chan
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Sango-chan! I know!!! Made me really sad. He's not really a bad guy. He just wants to protect his daughter and make the sea cleaner. That I can understand. I want to see the Japanese version now. Was it good?

SW33TLY_S0UR
09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Ponyo is so cute! I wish you the best of luck.

~Sango-chan~
09-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Sango-chan! I know!!! Made me really sad. He's not really a bad guy. He just wants to protect his daughter and make the sea cleaner. That I can understand. I want to see the Japanese version now. Was it good?

I like the Japanese version better than the English version, but that's normal for me :D
This is the first time I have watched a movie on DVD before seeing it in theatres XD Very surreal :P

I found that Sousuke's and Granmamere's (Ponyo's Mother) voice annoyed me >_< in the English version. I liked Liam Neeson's voice for Fujimoto, although he tended to say "respect your father" more than once (a little too much I think XD ).
Tina Fey's voice for Lisa was amazing, she sounded like the English counterpart of the Japanese voice actor who does Lisa. It was uncanny :D

Some other little facts you might not know: When Sousuke loses Ponyo the first time and he starts crying, the crying part was actually from the Japanese version. I guess Frankie couldn't cry properly XD

They added scenes and more dialogue in the English version, some of it good, some of it not so good. but it evens out.

I can't really judge the Japanese version, cause I am a little biased (since I saw it first). So I decided to just tell you what I thought of the two side-by-side :D

Saru-chan
09-13-2009, 02:44 AM
I like the Japanese version better than the English version, but that's normal for me :D
This is the first time I have watched a movie on DVD before seeing it in theatres XD Very surreal :P

I found that Sousuke's and Granmamere's (Ponyo's Mother) voice annoyed me >_< in the English version. I liked Liam Neeson's voice for Fujimoto, although he tended to say "respect your father" more than once (a little too much I think XD ).
Tina Fey's voice for Lisa was amazing, she sounded like the English counterpart of the Japanese voice actor who does Lisa. It was uncanny :D

Some other little facts you might not know: When Sousuke loses Ponyo the first time and he starts crying, the crying part was actually from the Japanese version. I guess Frankie couldn't cry properly XD

They added scenes and more dialogue in the English version, some of it good, some of it not so good. but it evens out.

I can't really judge the Japanese version, cause I am a little biased (since I saw it first). So I decided to just tell you what I thought of the two side-by-side :D

ha ha thanks. I thought Liam Neeson was a bit too dark a voice for Fujimoto. It was off putting cause I was like "OMG! QUi Gon!" lol

~Sango-chan~
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
ha ha thanks. I thought Liam Neeson was a bit too dark a voice for Fujimoto. It was off putting cause I was like "OMG! QUi Gon!" lol

That's what I thought too when I heard the trailer, but I got over it fairly quickly :bigtu:

anilag
09-13-2009, 01:51 PM
i'm doing fujimoto!!!!! i might be ready for ALA otherwise i probably wont wear it until AX10....i stumbled upon the EXACT fabric accidentally and decided there was no way i couldnt cosplay him! i cant wait to see other ponyo cosplayers

~Sango-chan~
09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
i'm doing fujimoto!!!!! i might be ready for ALA otherwise i probably wont wear it until AX10....i stumbled upon the EXACT fabric accidentally and decided there was no way i couldnt cosplay him! i cant wait to see other ponyo cosplayers

Where did you find the fabric? and do you have a picture of it? :D

Saru-chan
09-13-2009, 04:07 PM

OMG! If i see you at AX, I'm glomping you!

DeeDance
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm doing Sosuke :) I have to design a wig though... I'm thinking bald cap and sew on the top part of an actual wig, any suggestions?

cherryteagirl5
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I wore my Ponyo to Sac Anime this summer: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/251385/
I had my bf cosplay as Sousuke: http://www.acparadise.com/ace/display.php?c=30390

~Sango-chan~
09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I wore my Ponyo to Sac Anime this summer: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/251385/
I had my bf cosplay as Sousuke: http://www.acparadise.com/ace/display.php?c=30390

That looks adorable XD
...but I can't see the Sousuke pictures very clearly :waaaah:

cherryteagirl5
09-26-2009, 02:18 AM
That looks adorable XD
...but I can't see the Sousuke pictures very clearly :waaaah:

Thanks~! You'll have to click on the thumbnails to see a larger photo on ACE.

~Sango-chan~
09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks~! You'll have to click on the thumbnails to see a larger photo on ACE.

*smacks forehead* I can't believe I missed that, Thanks :crylaugh:

Is anyone here (yourself included) going to Sakuracon or Anime Evolution (on the West coast of North America)?

I would like to find a Ponyo for my Ghibli group, but I can't seem to find one :bigcry:
I guess I have a lot of time, but I would like to know ahead of time ^^;

granmamare
11-14-2009, 01:12 PM

i do too how were you planning to do her hair

granmamare
11-23-2009, 06:22 PM

how were you planning on doing her hair? i sorta new to full cosplay most of mine is makeshift charaters. i know the dress is easy but her hair is long!!!

XoPinkuSpiderxo
11-23-2009, 10:32 PM
a decently long wig but idk how ill make it move, maybe ill have baby fans on my back that blow on it or something.... i have no clue!

PineappleMilk
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd want to dress up my future kids as ponyo and sousuke, but not me. I think I'd look too old for the role...

Oncoming-storm
02-20-2010, 02:14 PM

I'm making a Fujimoto cosplays despite actually been much smaller than he should be, and not even thin (I'm also certian my nose isn't big). But, I'm planning to make the sprinkler so if you want, I'll try and get a photo of me in a random street looking lost on land. :toothy:

~Sango-chan~
02-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm making a Fujimoto cosplays despite actually been much smaller than he should be, and not even thin (I'm also certian my nose isn't big). But, I'm planning to make the sprinkler so if you want, I'll try and get a photo of me in a random street looking lost on land. :toothy:

I am soooo jealous!! :D
I would love to see the picture as well ^_^

Oncoming-storm
02-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Once I finish (well, its more like start right now *matieral and perfect wig hunt is go*) I shall definatly upload one. Must design his pump though, not sure if it should work or not. None working will be so much easier to make.

~Sango-chan~
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Once I finish (well, its more like start right now *matieral and perfect wig hunt is go*) I shall definatly upload one. Must design his pump though, not sure if it should work or not. None working will be so much easier to make.

Plus a non-working one won't make a mess if you accidentally pump the arm XD

Oncoming-storm
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Nah, that'd be even more fun. XD Although, think I might have worked out how to make one that wouldn't involve a real working arm to the pump but still allow water to come out.

PixieRisa
03-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Ponyo is adorable! x3

My friend and I are thinking outside the box and we're planning to do Teenage!Ponyo and Teenage!Sosuke for SacAnime in September xD

~Sango-chan~
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Ponyo is adorable! x3

My friend and I are thinking outside the box and we're planning to do Teenage!Ponyo and Teenage!Sosuke for SacAnime in September xD

Cool! Gonna post pictures when you are done? :D

PixieRisa
03-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Haha I'll try to!!! I basically have everything except a wig... And my friend had basically everything but the shirt, wig and a sailor hat... So we're almost done already xD

KikuroChan
03-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I really want to do a Ponyo cosplay, I love Miyazaki films and I've already done Chihiro from spirited away. Any tips on how I could possibly make the dress or any sewing patterns? I do want to drag my boyfriend into all of this but I'm iffy about him and wigs if he straightened his hair it'd looklike sousuke's (Except the shaved part lol), does anyone think it'd be an issue if him and I did "older versions"? ^^;

~Sango-chan~
03-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I really want to do a Ponyo cosplay, I love Miyazaki films and I've already done Chihiro from spirited away. Any tips on how I could possibly make the dress or any sewing patterns? I do want to drag my boyfriend into all of this but I'm iffy about him and wigs if he straightened his hair it'd looklike sousuke's (Except the shaved part lol), does anyone think it'd be an issue if him and I did "older versions"? ^^;

I don't think so, as long as it's done right :D

Like this: http://saiyuki-15.deviantart.com/art/PONYO-134999600

What kind of 'older versions' are you thinking of? (ie. are you gonna change the style?)

KikuroChan
03-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't think so, as long as it's done right :D

Like this: http://saiyuki-15.deviantart.com/art/PONYO-134999600

What kind of 'older versions' are you thinking of? (ie. are you gonna change the style?)

Not particularly, I was just thinking of straightening my boyfriends hair (he has semi-long bangs and his hair is dark so it may work) and just give him a pair of shorts and a t-shirt that are the correct colors, nothing too flashy ^^; I wanted to do something along the lines like that cosplayer you posted, I adore how her's came out! :3 I was just thinking since he's a fairly tall and buff guy we could be the older versions, he was my batou when i cosplayed as the major from Ghost in the Shell^^; (his hair has been cut way shorter since then for the record) http://kikurochan.deviantart.com/art/Mr-Big-Tough-Guy-126422386 I mean I don't think I would have an issue pulling off ponyo, I was only thinking of older versions due to me and my boyfriend's age ^^; like, around the same costume designs just older people in them i guess, its kinda confusing lol, thanks for replying :heart:

~Sango-chan~
03-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Not particularly, I was just thinking of straightening my boyfriends hair (he has semi-long bangs and his hair is dark so it may work) and just give him a pair of shorts and a t-shirt that are the correct colors, nothing too flashy ^^; I wanted to do something along the lines like that cosplayer you posted, I adore how her's came out! :3 I was just thinking since he's a fairly tall and buff guy we could be the older versions, he was my batou when i cosplayed as the major from Ghost in the Shell^^; (his hair has been cut way shorter since then for the record) http://kikurochan.deviantart.com/art/Mr-Big-Tough-Guy-126422386 I mean I don't think I would have an issue pulling off ponyo, I was only thinking of older versions due to me and my boyfriend's age ^^; like, around the same costume designs just older people in them i guess, its kinda confusing lol, thanks for replying :heart:

Nope, not confusing at all :D
(You can never be too careful what people mean when they say 'older' versions....that could mean something revealing O_o)
I don't think it's a problem at all, that's what a lot of cosplayers do (ie. there are college kids that are cosplaying elementary school students ;) ). There are some that pull it off better than others, but as long as the colours and proportions are correct (in terms of the clothes to body ratio), it's totally fine ^_^

Can't wait to see them :D

KikuroChan
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Nope, not confusing at all :D
(You can never be too careful what people mean when they say 'older' versions....that could mean something revealing O_o)
I don't think it's a problem at all, that's what a lot of cosplayers do (ie. there are college kids that are cosplaying elementary school students ;) ). There are some that pull it off better than others, but as long as the colours and proportions are correct (in terms of the clothes to body ratio), it's totally fine ^_^

Can't wait to see them :D

Aw thanks~! Yeah, I'm not making them just yet due to the fact that I am a college student and money is quite tight. I wanted to try and make my own dress since Ponyo's is so simple. I would hope I'd find some type of help with sewing (since I've never really sewn garments outside of an actual class) But, It's just one of those dream cosplay ideas I want to do down the line. Of course, I wanted some insight before jumping off and actually doing it too! ^^

hakobakoplayer
03-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Haha this thread is interesting.

HeiDifinition
04-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I actually just did Ponyo for Sakura Con 2010 o~o

~Sango-chan~
04-17-2010, 12:05 AM
I actually just did Ponyo for Sakura Con 2010 o~o

I think I saw you :D
Did you wear glasses?

nessabutterfly
06-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Just finished making my 1 year old daughter's Ponyo dress. I made my 3 year old son's Sosuke costume about 2 months ago, but we couldn't go to the con we planned to wear it to, so I put off the dress. We're going to take pics of the kids tomorrow at the beach.

Next month my husband and I will be joining the kids as Fujimoto and Granmammare. I'm so excited. I think about these costumes constantly. I even have plans on how to fancy up granmammare!

~Sango-chan~
06-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Just finished making my 1 year old daughter's Ponyo dress. I made my 3 year old son's Sosuke costume about 2 months ago, but we couldn't go to the con we planned to wear it to, so I put off the dress. We're going to take pics of the kids tomorrow at the beach.

Next month my husband and I will be joining the kids as Fujimoto and Granmammare. I'm so excited. I think about these costumes constantly. I even have plans on how to fancy up granmammare!

Can't wait to see the pictures :D
Please post links to the pictures on here ^_^

Fujimoto WIP picture: http://twilightheroine.deviantart.com/#/d2rhgp7

nessabutterfly
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Why didn't I pre-wash???

Well, the Ponyo costume was adorable, but the dress, bloomers, and goldfish outfit all got tossed together after they were worn in the water. And the colour ran from the red fabric. And of course I washed them and the red splotches became solid pink. Sigh. So I'll be making new bloomers, and remaking sections of the goldfish outfit. I'm just sad because applique on spandex is tricky enough of flat pieces, but it's REALLY hard on finished garments. I have a LOT of seams to rip!

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by looking at the Tenderheart bear costume hanging in the laundry room with the horribly stained orange tummy panel. ALWAYS pre-wash. Always! Twice if you'd sewing white fabric onto the same garment!

Oncoming-storm
06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Duh, I haven't posted here for ages.

But, I finished Fujimoto a while ago. Quite proud, and can't wait to get on with his cloak and finish the tank up so he's con ready. I love my jacket. :D

nessabutterfly
06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Here's some cute little human Ponyo! http://www.cosplay.com/costume/309810/ And yes, just like Ponyo, my daughter LOVES HAM!!

aimee
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm mostly finished with my Fujimoto (Ponyo's dad) but my jacket is only half-finished cause I ran out of fabric. lol. If I can get more fabric in time, I'll wear it at AX this weekend.

Any other Ponyo cosplayers going?
PHOTO:
http://aimeemajor.com/images/temp2/wipfuji.jpg

nessabutterfly, that baby Ponyo is SO CUTE

nessabutterfly
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Aimee-- your jacket is looking GREAT! I'm just starting on my husband's Fujimoto now.

Started on the "accessories" for my Granmammere. I wanted about 100 of these, but I'll just have to make due with 30 or so (unless i magically get an extra 2 weeks of sewing time before Metrocon). http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2618849/

aimee
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks! I just finished up my Fujimoto. I need to modify the pack because it was pulling at my shoulders, but I guess it's mostly done.

http://aimeemajor.com/images/photos/2010july/axfujimoto.jpg
http://aimeemajor.com/images/photos/2010july/fujimoto3.jpg

~Sango-chan~
07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks! I just finished up my Fujimoto. I need to modify the pack because it was pulling at my shoulders, but I guess it's mostly done.

http://aimeemajor.com/images/photos/2010july/axfujimoto.jpg
http://aimeemajor.com/images/photos/2010july/fujimoto3.jpg

Oooooo I am so jealous <3
Really nice job :D
Will you be posting a clearer shot of the water pump?

nessabutterfly
07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm fighting my way through Fujimoto's jacket for my husband. Man that pattern had a LOT of pieces and a LOT of directions. I should have known though-- it's Vogue! Still, it's the only men's jacket pattern I could find.

Found my Granmammare bracelets today, and my beads are starting to arrive for the jewelry (ordered from 4 different sources!!). Now I just need to make the thing. 15 days left. I'm freaking out!

~Sango-chan~
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm fighting my way through Fujimoto's jacket for my husband. Man that pattern had a LOT of pieces and a LOT of directions. I should have known though-- it's Vogue! Still, it's the only men's jacket pattern I could find.

Found my Granmammare bracelets today, and my beads are starting to arrive for the jewelry (ordered from 4 different sources!!). Now I just need to make the thing. 15 days left. I'm freaking out!

I used a women's jacket pattern for my jacket. I haven't finished it yet, but it's pretty simple.
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4138-products-1134.php?page_id=369

I am pretty tall and wide-shouldered too. I just needed to extend the bottom a bit and it's all good ^_^

But I guess it's a little late to change it, huh? ^^;

nessabutterfly
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
yeah-- women's patterns are much simpler. I'm glad I'm using a men's pattern though. It'll fit him a lot better. I've tried adapting women's things before and the shoulders are always WAY too tight, no matter how much fabric I add.

Time to put my baby down for her nap and get back to sewing.

aimee
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I actually traced my pattern off a suit that fit me well and just kinda fudged the directions. haha... I was pretty happy with it, except the back of the collar... which you can't ever see anyway, and I'm not quite sure if I'm happy with the front/bottom of the coat. I might recut it and rehem it a tiny bit. but that's not a big deal.

sango, yeah, I'll post better pictures of the pack later. But I won't have time until probably after SDCC, so maybe in August.

MissDarkRose
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
i will, one day cosplay as ponyo

ErinaChan
07-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Ponyo is adorable! x3

I am going to Sac-Anime as Ponyo! >w<
HNNGHHH I want to see your costumes XD

nessabutterfly
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm so discouraged on these costumes. They weren't supposed to be this hard, but I'm just having a heck of a time getting myself to actually work on them. Need to be done in 10 days and so far I have Granmammare's necklace and earrings done and Fujimoto's jacket cut out. That's it. I'm in TROUBLE!!

Any encouraging thoughts?

Edit:
Jacket is at about 75%. Take a peek at progress shots: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/103669/

nessabutterfly
07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Not sure how long has to pass before a double post is OK... It HAS been 4 days. Anyway, the jacket is finished. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2634776/

~Sango-chan~
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Not sure how long has to pass before a double post is OK... It HAS been 4 days. Anyway, the jacket is finished. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2634776/

Nice! :D
I just worked on a bit of mine a day ago, I will need to work on it again *really* soon >.<

nessabutterfly
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Thought I'd post progress of my Granmammare. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2638710/

Thoughts? I took some creative liberties with the silhouette, but since she has no true shape, I had to do something. What do you think? Still need to hem it. Might add some extra wavy bits on the bottom edges too...

totorolover
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
nessabutterfly your costumes look great! i like how you did Granmammare, i was thinking the same thing about her dress having no shape.

my daughter watches pony at least 2 times a day, my husband wants to do a family cosplay of them too, so they are added to my list.

nessabutterfly
07-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Sosuke's hat is nearly finished (had to hide my son's blond buzz cut!) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2640011/

~Sango-chan~
07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Sosuke's hat is nearly finished (had to hide my son's blond buzz cut!) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2640011/

Aww so cute ^_^

And I agree about the Granmamare dress. Works way better than the movie version (the style in the movie kinda bugged me actually XD ).

nessabutterfly
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
FINISHED! We ended up with a Judges award. Very stiff competition. But everyone loved the costumes! Pics tomorrow when I'm not so dead!

nessabutterfly
07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I finally put up the pics I found of our costumes from around the web. Hopefully I can find some more good ones. I haven't posted the ones we took yet though... they're on the other computer and I'm too lazy to go get it.

Anyway, here's everything that's up so far! http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/185415/

~Sango-chan~
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I finally put up the pics I found of our costumes from around the web. Hopefully I can find some more good ones. I haven't posted the ones we took yet though... they're on the other computer and I'm too lazy to go get it.

Anyway, here's everything that's up so far! http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/185415/

So CUTE!!! :D
<3

PfftGato
02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
A cosplay of Ponyo's mother would be very lovely to see.

Flora88
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Hay guise.
I'm, like, halfway through a Fujimoto cosplay at the moment. I was wondering...do you think I could get away with just wearing a Grell (http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/1//49/430/49430707_Kuroshitsuji_Grell_by_kindaseiha.jpg) wig for Fujimoto? Mine's very voluminous, and I prefer Red-Haired!Fujimoto to Orange-Haired!Fujimoto.

Or does his have more of a curl? I can't decide, based on the reference images, or the movie, since his hair is constantly in motion.

ALSO: THOSE PANTS. What color are they? I see him in navy, bright-ass blue, AND black.

Tigress
03-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Hay guise.
I'm, like, halfway through a Fujimoto cosplay at the moment. I was wondering...do you think I could get away with just wearing a Grell (http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/1//49/430/49430707_Kuroshitsuji_Grell_by_kindaseiha.jpg) wig for Fujimoto? Mine's very voluminous, and I prefer Red-Haired!Fujimoto to Orange-Haired!Fujimoto.

Or does his have more of a curl? I can't decide, based on the reference images, or the movie, since his hair is constantly in motion.

ALSO: THOSE PANTS. What color are they? I see him in navy, bright-ass blue, AND black.

I think Fujimoto's hair is more wavy. (My brother has my DVD, so I don't have it handy to find out for you.)

For the pants, I'd say go by the jacket first and pick the pants he wears with it.

Kelley
04-03-2011, 07:22 AM
When I started tracking down reference pictures, I saw a fanart that someone managed to make remarkably Grell-like.

I think you could get away with it, but it's not quite the same. Grell has just some small whispy layers near his face, but not more than that. Fujimoto has layers everywhere and way more volume and while I wouldn't go for that fluorescent orange, it's less red than Grell's.

Pants, I'd say are an unsaturated blue. You could probably tint grey if you wanted to buy, not make. More cyan-leaning-basetones than navy.

And, woo, I am doing this costume. It started because I innocently sent my friend a link to This Jacket (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/9922/products/p1300908_large.jpg?5253) wishing in all caps that it was mine (although it would have to shrink just a tiny bit). I received the reply "Fujimoto is running around without a coat."

This has been a forgone conclusion for far too long.

I've bought fabric and become all too excited about making a costume of someone who's as serious about littering as I am. I'm only a week in, so I'm still in that NEW COSTUME state where I'm on crack and planning things like making little Ponyo Sisters to hand out as favours. If I actually get around to that, I'll be proud of myself.

Flora88
04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
When I started tracking down reference pictures, I saw a fanart that someone managed to make remarkably Grell-like.

I think you could get away with it, but it's not quite the same. Grell has just some small whispy layers near his face, but not more than that. Fujimoto has layers everywhere and way more volume and while I wouldn't go for that fluorescent orange, it's less red than Grell's.

Pants, I'd say are an unsaturated blue. You could probably tint grey if you wanted to buy, not make. More cyan-leaning-basetones than navy.

And, woo, I am doing this costume. It started because I innocently sent my friend a link to This Jacket (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/9922/products/p1300908_large.jpg?5253) wishing in all caps that it was mine (although it would have to shrink just a tiny bit). I received the reply "Fujimoto is running around without a coat."

This has been a forgone conclusion for far too long.

I've bought fabric and become all too excited about making a costume of someone who's as serious about littering as I am. I'm only a week in, so I'm still in that NEW COSTUME state where I'm on crack and planning things like making little Ponyo Sisters to hand out as favours. If I actually get around to that, I'll be proud of myself.

Yeah, after looking at it more, last week I ordered two wavy red wigs of different lengths. It's going to be heavy as balls, but it'll totally be worth it.
Turns out, I have some Barely Bootcut pants from Express that are totally exactly what he's got on. And as for the shoes, I've got these heeled brown oxfords (for a John Denver cosplay) that would totally work.

I even found a little brass "potion vase" at a garage sale! :D

I also found the perfect huge-ass gold clip-on earrings (my ears aren't pierced.) They're oval, but they're patterned like the top of a shell. :heart:

And my brother happened to have a fuchsia ascot. I'm good for most of it so far, actually.

At the moment, I'm working on the coat and waiting for my wigs to arrive. I'm also drafting makeup plans and figuring out how I'm going to make his little backpack squirter thing.

Kelley
04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
I tried a bunch of options for his pants yesterday and decided on my skinny jeans that have an octopus on the back pocket (they were not as hipster trash as they sound when I bought them, I swear). Cannot argue with pants that come with their own aquatic life.

I have some nondescript black shoes that would be fine, but I'd like to find some loafers. Because, for some reason, I don't own any.

It's literally been over five years since I've even tried to wear earrings, over a decade since I've worn them on even a semi-regular basis. I think one of the holes is closed up, so this should be fun. I'm thinking of making them out of craft foam at the moment, maybe clip-ons, but probably just going to stab my ear again.

I'm thinking papier mache if I decide to try to make the Large Orange Toilet Part. But I'm leaning toward just making the robe and a clear vinyl bubble-bag of Ponyo Sisters and not testing my nonexistent crafting skills (I haven't papier mached since I made a really ugly spaceship in elementary school). I have a feeling that somewhere out there, there's a decent trash can that would work.

I did a makeup test for the lolz with what I had in my kit just to see how far I could get and I'm thinking I'm going to go in a kabuki-esque direction with it more so than just the straight-up glam rock that everyone seems to see. I really wanted to use creams, but I can't find a way for them to not smudge under my eyes because having pouchy eyes makes that stuff either smudge or crack. I need to find a greener blue powder, it seems.

AND SOMEONE STOLE MY BRONZER

HEADS WILL ROLL

I need that stuff

Flora88
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I tried a bunch of options for his pants yesterday and decided on my skinny jeans that have an octopus on the back pocket (they were not as hipster trash as they sound when I bought them, I swear). Cannot argue with pants that come with their own aquatic life.

I have some nondescript black shoes that would be fine, but I'd like to find some loafers. Because, for some reason, I don't own any.

It's literally been over five years since I've even tried to wear earrings, over a decade since I've worn them on even a semi-regular basis. I think one of the holes is closed up, so this should be fun. I'm thinking of making them out of craft foam at the moment, maybe clip-ons, but probably just going to stab my ear again.

I'm thinking papier mache if I decide to try to make the Large Orange Toilet Part. But I'm leaning toward just making the robe and a clear vinyl bubble-bag of Ponyo Sisters and not testing my nonexistent crafting skills (I haven't papier mached since I made a really ugly spaceship in elementary school). I have a feeling that somewhere out there, there's a decent trash can that would work.

I did a makeup test for the lolz with what I had in my kit just to see how far I could get and I'm thinking I'm going to go in a kabuki-esque direction with it more so than just the straight-up glam rock that everyone seems to see. I really wanted to use creams, but I can't find a way for them to not smudge under my eyes because having pouchy eyes makes that stuff either smudge or crack. I need to find a greener blue powder, it seems.

AND SOMEONE STOLE MY BRONZER

HEADS WILL ROLL

I need that stuff

OCTOPUS PANTS?! That's awesome.
Hey, dude, if you don't want to pierce again, there are some awesome gold clip-ons on Ebay for, like, $0.99. with $1.00 shipping. There are several that would totally work.
Kabuki, huh? That sounds badass! Be sure to post pics! :D

I haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet. Most likely I'm just going to saturate it a bit more. I'm going to be covered in Urban Decay. Lol. I need some more brushes, like, insanely badly.

I'm not sure what your makeup budget it, but this site (http://www.allcosmeticswholesale.com/obcoco.html) has A LOT of insane stuff I've never seen before, for pretty good prices (for designer stuff, anyway) like dark green lipgloss. Wtf? Lol

Kelley
04-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I got them for 90% off back when I worked at Macy's, hurr.

... and I think I'm going to do clip-ons. I was thinking it might be useful to have pierced ears again, and that maybe I'd wear some stupid earrings of my own accord. But, haha, no. Now I just have an infection and I give up on that.

So far, I've bought some $2 pressed powders and I'm going to crush and mix them and see what results. Failing that, I'll probably head to the local place that sells Ben Nye stuff.

I ran across This Article (http://toshidama.blogspot.com/2010/11/david-bowie-pop-goes-kabuki.html), which explains a lot when it comes to American audience's perspective - seeing David Bowie who was taking inspiration from Japan in the first place. Also, you might recognise This Guy (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg71e8W0Yp1qa1iiqo1_500.png), as another rock star in love with Japan (word out on if he knew that was a woman's kimono).

I'm not going to make his makup any different, really, but when moving it onto a real face, I'm going to keep things like this (http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/3359443.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D580EF0B6E165E31BCC8E1028D374EF67 05AFC5CF6109BBC7) in mind.

If you're on a budget, I just bought some cheap "Studio M" brushes to (hopefully just temporarily) replace my MAC ones that are literally scattered across the country at the moment - and, honestly, the difference is negligible. Most invaluable brush is definitely the slightly fluffy square kind - very versatile and I really can't get by without one.

With the jacket, make sure you make it long enough (this also said for benefit of anyone else reading this). Also, consider adding hidden inside pockets for utility (I do little inner breast pocket for ID and card / money and inner upper-hip hollow ones, though I probably won't put much in there so as not to mess with the drape).

Also, for best effect, you're going to want at least a heavy linen and possibly a fleece / lambswool in the chest / revers. I wouldn't use a hair canvas/hymo. I have a coat with hair canvas and that stuff is nasty if it pokes through the cover you have to make for it, even if you're a master tailor. By having the chest piece protrude into the sleeve a bit, you've basically made shoulder pads, though you might want extra for a more cartoonish, less actually 1911 look (but natural Victwardian shoulders are sexy, okay).

If you'd like, I can go more into more detail, but I don't want to talk your ear off if you already have a good idea of it.

Also, while I was out buying Spaghetti-Os, I saw a $15 trashbin that I could chop up and cover/paint if I wanted to make the toilet tank without messing with papier mache.

Kelley
04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Lol, I did this : http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/kelleyPC/lolz.png

I'm not 100% happy with the eyebrows and I'm hoping my profile looks better with the wig, and I might do a bit with trying to age myself, but I probably won't mess around with it again until we're taking actual decent pictures. I'm happy enough with the green I bought (and the red shows up a lot more in person, and hopefully also on a less crap camera).

Cleaned out my makeup box, found that 90% of my lipstick is missing.

And now I'm eating goldfish. I am a monster.

Flora88
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
@Kelley
IT'SFREDDIEMERCURYINAKIMONOOMG!!!
Thank you for that. My day has officially started off well.

As for the jacket, hey, man, advice is always good.

LOL, that second face.
Hmm. I almost wish it was more saturated, though. I suppose because when I think of kabuki, I think of this sort of this. (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EzOUOV_ZeRY/TUqIL6ZHcqI/AAAAAAAAADQ/hhq8bXe70mQ/s1600/kabuki-3-tag%255B1%255D.jpg) But, then again, his is on peach-colored skin rather than a stark white background, so I got nothin'.

Kelley
04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I might as well link you to this thing (http://prince-charles.deviantart.com/gallery/4930#/doukfm), with warning that it is filled with fangirly bullshit because I was 16 or something.

I hate giving the "it was the camera" excuse, but to give a better idea of how it looks in person, there's actually some purple in the low-lights and I used a lip-red pencil in places for harder transitions. And I'm so obscenely pale that I have only found one foundation that actually doesn't tint my skin darker (Makeup Forever Matte Velvet, Alabaster, I think - I save it for when I really need it because it's stupidly expensive).

This is a picture I managed to take with my not-cellphone camera before the battery died. (http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/kelleyPC/battree.png)

The colours are still funky, but I'm working with one bare incandescent bulb. :P I used bright hot pink the first time I tried it and my personal preference was for the more peach I used the second time (he can't even brush his hair so I don't want it to look too made-up).

Look into "welt" pockets for the hidden inner ones. They're fiddly, but they're what you need, unless you stick a pocket in the seam where the facing meets lining - which is totally legit, too (and very easy to access quickly).

Have you bought a pattern or are you drafting your own ? Do you know what you'd like it to look like ? Since he's all out of proportion and it changes scene to scene (like, the lapel stripes go one way (the way they would on an actual coat, 99% of the time) in the opening sequence and then they were like, "fuck it, not drawing that any more", for one - and it changes apparent length a lot), I figure a lot is up to interpretation.

The most recognisable real garment it's similar to is a boating blazer, but it's not a perfect match. His has huge 70s / 20s / 70s lapels (I figure he could have picked it up in any of those decades). When you see another similar one hanging up, it looks like a standard blazer, but in some scenes it's as long as short frock coat.

No matter what you go for, I'd use a men's pattern or make it yourself. And for a men's pattern, you'll have to edit it to take out darts that will disturb the stripe more than you need to. A basic "men's suit type jacket" pattern will get you to the shortest you should make it if it's sized right to your height / size (and a single-breasted three, button two will give a similar look). Too many women's jackets just end halfway up the butt. And, really, that just ruins the mystique of wondering if he actually has one or not - not to mention, longer makes your legs look tweedlier which is good in this case.

You're going to want at least some kind of padded yoke (I'm going to cave in and get some wool to felt when I order the stuff for the robe and shape it with some linen I already ordered with my other fabric) to keep the coat from collapsing in, and you may or may not do well to cut it with a bit of a drape at the chest for a broader look (I'd have to experiment, but based on the coats I own, I'm thinking I'm going this direction).

Interface the cuff area, but not the entire sleeve, although a ruffle of linen might work in the sleeve head.

If you make the bottom rather loose (this won't be the case if you use a blazer pattern), you might consider dance weights to get it to move nicely if it's boggy.

Other than that, if you need a pad-stitching diagram or something, just let me know. I have that crap in spades.

If you decide to fuse the interfacing, but careful - you won't be able to get this wet without risking the integrity of the glue and for best effect, you'll want to have the lapel rolled over a pad as you fuse it to give it shape to imitate hand-work.

Edit : I've never even seen this movie in English and I'm afraid to.