PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying Original Characters?

Saru-chan
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Is there an unspoken rule on cosplaying original characters? I want to cosplay my original DC character, Beastess. I'm worried that I might get yelled at by serious cosplayers who might take insult by my character.

I don't care about not being recognized. I'd know, and maybe a few of the people I used to RP with would know who she was.

Dango!
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Aha, what? From what I understand, no there isn't. o-o;; You cosplay who you want, how you want, when you want... more or less.

If anyone gives you a hard time, just shrug them off. They're a bit too serious about cosplay if they get offended by your OC costume. ^^;;

I plan on doing an OC sometime... whenever I feel like it, which isn't now, lawl.... But yeah, unless you look like a stripper or something that would be offensive to the general public, I doubt you'd get shit... or that much shit.

[Side Question: What's DC, exactly?]

Aduial
08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't see a problem with it. It's a costume, it's playing, hence it's cosplay. You may not get recognized but like you said you aren't worried about that.

As long as it's an awesome cosplay and you are enjoying yourself, I say do it.

Angel_Cakes
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't think there are any rules, but I would follow some suggestions (not rules per say, but helpful hints) like don't make the character a Mary-Sue, don't make them God-like (inless of it was a god, like various characters from Okami) and don't make it a peice of junk and "It is meant to be like this, it is my character afterall"
Some cosplay snobs (ones who forget it is about fun and start being mean to people who are Orignal or slightly off) would probably say "you can't cosplay an OC, then it isn't cosplay", but just f*** them. But, don't actually say or do that, be nice about it to show you are better than them if you come across any.
But, I personally don't think I will ever cosplay an OC (as most of my OC or more Un-OC) unless it was very impressive and would look amazing even if no-one knew who I was.

Saru-chan
08-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Aha, what? From what I understand, no there isn't. o-o;; You cosplay who you want, how you want, when you want... more or less.

If anyone gives you a hard time, just shrug them off. They're a bit too serious about cosplay if they get offended by your OC costume. ^^;;

I plan on doing an OC sometime... whenever I feel like it, which isn't now, lawl.... But yeah, unless you look like a stripper or something that would be offensive to the general public, I doubt you'd get shit... or that much shit.

[Side Question: What's DC, exactly?]

DC is the publisher of Batman and Superman comics. My character was created to be part of the Bat-verse. She's from my fanfictions. So she is a Mary-sue, but she has her own universe outside of the fandom.

Arakni666
08-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm actually planning on cosplaying an OC of mine sometime in the future. He's not a fan-character, though- he actually belongs in a story that I've fully designed. Not that I have anything against fan-characters, of course~

It should be fine! Just put as much effort into it as you would any other cosplay, and who knows? Maybe people will be curious, and ask you more about who you are! You might get a fanbase~

Itachi/Lfanatic
08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm gonna cosplay my OC at Nebraskon! well, actually, she's my 'inner me'. and I've dressed her in a design coming from My Chemical Romance's Black Parade uniforms ^_~

Kelley
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I think it's fine.

However, it's not something I would do unless I was with a theatre group for that purpose (Renaissance Festival, Victorian Festival, etc).

I wouldn't care if someone else did, though - I'm interested in great costumes no matter where they're "from". :)

alpha_helix
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Most of my costumes are original designs. I'm reluctant to call them OCs because I don't write about them, RP them, or flesh them out beyond a name and some basic traits. It's more about making a costume that came out of my head than portraying a character.

But, no, nobody really cares, and the pros and cons are roughly the same as cosplaying a known character. At worst, no one will recognize you and you may have few photos taken (which seems to be psychological validation for some cosplayers), at best if you have a great costume people will appreciate a great costume for what it is.

The only big difference is that you won't have anybody going "OMG! It's so-and-so!"

Nooby Banana
08-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I think as long as you put effort into it, it's fine. =) I love seeing original cosplays if they're awesome and badass. As everyone else has said, if someone decides to give you a hard time about it, just forget them.

Kayu-sama
08-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I think if someone cosplays an OC, it's fine if it looks like they put some actual thought into it. Too many people throw on some hot topic clothes and say "I'm an original character". As a general rule, would someone like the design enough to take a picture even though they didn't recognize it? If so, you're doing it right!

Himemiya
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
When people say "What's your costume?" say "Beastess from DC". That'll probably be the end of it ^_^

Moonsong
08-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Do it! If anyone tells you you can't, or that your character is lame, they aren't worth your time. It's about having fun, not adhering to silly fan-made guidelines.

GothicLargo
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Random redshirt characters vary in terms of how well received they are, generally varying on the degree of complexity and detail put in to the costume. Redshirting with an Ouran High jacket for example because you don't want to wear a wig is less spectacular then, for example, redshirting as a NERV browncoat.

Of course, military and sailor-senshi type cosplays tend to work best for original characters. A fuku will turn heads no matter what color it is.

Mangochutney
08-17-2009, 11:19 AM
No one will yell at you. What an odd idea that is--no one will know the character, so why should they have any reason to be put out? You won't be recognized, though you might be appreciated and photographed if your costume is nifty and flattering.

However, based on my own experiences with original character cosplays, I'd like to personally recommend that you RESTRAIN any urge you might feel to explain your character's background or universe to people who ask who you are. Just don't. If you're in conversation and they seem interested, offer a few details, but the cosplayers who whip out a lecture series starring their character are a plague and a blight on the land. You don't want to be one of them.

I LURV
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
No one will yell at you. What an odd idea that is--no one will know the character, so why should they have any reason to be put out? You won't be recognized, though you might be appreciated and photographed if your costume is nifty and flattering.

However, based on my own experiences with original character cosplays, I'd like to personally recommend that you RESTRAIN any urge you might feel to explain your character's background or universe to people who ask who you are. Just don't. If you're in conversation and they seem interested, offer a few details, but the cosplayers who whip out a lecture series starring their character are a plague and a blight on the land. You don't want to be one of them.

Then the best reply would be :

I'm just my own character I made up.

jounink
08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Its your money, your time and your effort. No one can tell you what you can/can not do with it. I have an original ANBU (naruto) cosplay in the works for AX10 and I'm aware of at least 1 Narutard who might feel the need to ask a stupid question or make a smartass comment, but I'll just let them know they can get the hell out of my face with that gradeschool sh*t.

sephygoth
08-17-2009, 01:55 PM

I gotta second,third and forth this notion all in one.
If you wat to Keep your character for yourself,
If you don't want someone insulting you outta the blue in a con setting,
If you don't want to hear "looks like _____"character
If you don't want to hear that same above story of OTHERS OC's(as I have, god) then do what I do: cosplay a mute

else only RULE I can think of, is saying original cosplay, versus costume or character. Original cosplay in itself is in-term contradiction, there's no fandom for something that doesnt exist yet(ie your own) so cosplay can't even pertain to it. and DC isnt even Japanese anyway. I'm just purist on that crap, but I do originals anyway, so don't mind me.
When I see original Naruto, that also is contradiction, you can say "based" or inspired, but if its orig, its got no afiliation with a title.

Saru-chan
08-18-2009, 03:03 AM

ha ha Thanks for that warning. I'll keep that in mind.

Saru-chan
08-18-2009, 03:05 AM
I gotta second,third and forth this notion all in one.
If you wat to Keep your character for yourself,
If you don't want someone insulting you outta the blue in a con setting,
If you don't want to hear "looks like _____"character
If you don't want to hear that same above story of OTHERS OC's(as I have, god) then do what I do: cosplay a mute

else only RULE I can think of, is saying original cosplay, versus costume or character. Original cosplay in itself is in-term contradiction, there's no fandom for something that doesnt exist yet(ie your own) so cosplay can't even pertain to it. and DC isnt even Japanese anyway. I'm just purist on that crap, but I do originals anyway, so don't mind me.
When I see original Naruto, that also is contradiction, you can say "based" or inspired, but if its orig, its got no afiliation with a title.

Why does my cosplay have to be Japanese? True, DC and it's comics (Batman, Superman, JLA) aren't anime, but that doesn't mean I can't cosplay them. Heck, I saw a Wonder Woman and Green lantern at AX.

DemonUchiha19
08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
There is no rule that says you can't cosplay as your OC. Some people might not approve but you don't need their approval. For me personally, I like it when i see people who come as their OC. The point of cosplaying is to have fun, so go for it!