PDA

View Full Version : Renn Faire costume photoshoot

Admin
08-14-2003, 05:30 AM
I'm setting this thread up to see what sort of response there would be if I organized a Renn Faire type costume photoshoot in the SoCal area in early-fall, for cosplay.com. This is an area of costumes that I would like to begin photographing and showcasing on this and another website.

Actual fantasy characters (like LotR stuff) wouldn't be allowed, just your general medieval fare. Any takers?

Karisu-sama
08-14-2003, 07:26 AM
If I were SoCal I'd perk up my ears, but I'm not. Ah well.... ^^

Chanté
08-14-2003, 10:37 AM
That would be awesome!!! It'd be nice to pull out and dust off my Italian ren. dress. ^___^

Satine
08-14-2003, 09:56 PM
While I'm not in SoCal.. not in the states at all actually;) I'd be really keen to know more about your plans for expanding into historical costume.

I have several in my photo gallery now, so I was wondering if they were suitable to put in the my costumes section now? Or if there will be somewhere else more appropriate somewhere:)

btw I've done a heck of a lot of research for the late 15th and early 16thC if there is anyone who would like some info:)

Actually I really should go finish that paper I've been meaning to do on my screaming orange Burgundian dress...

duck
08-15-2003, 12:08 AM
I would love to! It would sorta depend on how early in the fall, because if it's too close to the start of school, it might be difficult.

I'm also part of a medieval live action role playing group based in Whittier- would it be alright if I brought a few non cosplay.com people in period costume if I could make it?

edit: Satine, your costumes are gorgeous! I wish I had the sewing ability to pull off more than your standard peasant garb(and a few variations of such) fare.

Satine
08-15-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks:) Actually it's really not that hard, if you can make standard garb you can make period garb:) The shapes for my items are really basic and utilise as much of the fabric as possible:)

I'm going to be writing up a class for Collegium here (SCA A&S classes over a weekend) so I may write it up for the web:)

It'll be something like do not be afraid of late period garb;) Or something like that.

HowilnMadMurphy
08-16-2003, 12:23 AM
I'd do it. :D

neko_trin
08-19-2003, 03:00 AM
awww... >.> i'm going to the Ren Faire here in Vegas... suppose that does count huh? ~_~ i always lose out on cool stuff

Mandy Mitchell
08-19-2003, 02:30 PM
I have a medieval type of costume.

Mink
08-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Maybe....I dont have one but I would love to make one....

duck
08-20-2003, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure if you wanted to do this specifically for cosplay.com, Admin, but I know that if you made the offer to SCA and LARP groups in the area, you'd probably get a much huger response.

Not to mention, some really good, historically researched and accurate ones(those thousand dollar outfits...these people are likely to have some of them). And they could probably talk your ear off about the history of that particular outfit too.=)

ACXchan
08-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Hum... Why not have the photoshoot during the month of the SoCal Renaissance Pleasure Faire? It would give alot of people time to prepare costumes if they want to be part of the shoot and they would have a place to wear it. Although... there would be tourists in the background and you'd have to pay $15 to get in, I guess that answers my own question ^ ^;

duck
08-21-2003, 02:38 AM
It was also a couple months ago.=) Oh, never mind...thus the "time to prepare" thing. My bad.

I don't really like the idea of doing a photoshoot someplace that crowded though, even though it would provide some great background scenery.

MyOwnSuperhero
08-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Check out my gallery.

ichigo
08-22-2003, 09:29 PM
I'll go! I'm planning on going to the RenFaire, and it'd be super-fun to meet up w/ cosplay.com people there.

LLC
08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
If you want SCA type stuff in SoCal, this weekend (US LAbor Day), there is a big SCA "War" in San Diego.

Generally, the few SCA or Renn Faires I go to I actually get more compliments/pictures etc when I do a slight bit of fantasy.

Ashliegh from Scion worked out well, my friend's The MAgdalena costume went over really well also.

The Valkyrie costumes also tend to get a lot of attention also.

BlueLady
08-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Im so there!!! Must make courtisan costume better..

BlueLady
08-28-2003, 11:28 PM
have to agree with the post above me, people maul me for pictures when i have my wings and ears on.

MedeaManson
08-28-2003, 11:45 PM
I've been doing Renaissance faires for many years with various guilds (including my own Fantasy guild).

I would love to take part in this project. Just so long as 'early fall' doesn't happen to be during the weekends of Ojai Pirate faire (Sept. 27-28th) and Escondido Ren faire (Nov 1-2nd).

This sounds like it'd be great fun! ^_^

---{@ Lady Medea

ACXchan
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
I went to last year's SoCal RenFaire in Glenhelen Park as a period Turkish dancer, underbust vest and all. Would that be allowed for this photoshoot? I can't dance though ^ ^;;

AmazonPrincess
08-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Well, I know that the Gilroy R.E.C. run RenFaire starts next weekend. And I hopefully working it a few weekends. If that's where it's gonna be, rock! Otherwise, tons of advance notice would be dandy.

Utinni
08-31-2003, 02:50 AM
guess it's time for me to break out the chainmaille!!! :cool:

Jeff

Mephistopheles
08-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Well I'll be attending the Maryland Renaissance Festival at least 4 times this year, so I'll be sure to get some good photos to post for some of you folks that can appreciate this sort of thing.

Sana-chan
08-31-2003, 02:35 PM
I'd love to do something like this! I've always wanted to sew a renn outfit and this would be another excuse to make one ^_^

BlueLady
08-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Ap you'll have to tell me where you are working so i can say Hi.. we are running up there to gilroy at least once.

The-Real-Link
08-31-2003, 10:35 PM
I'd like to join in an event such as this since I frequent ren faires but the distance is just too far. I have no way of getting out there myself, but do attend local Michigan faires every year. Link isn't exactly period but it's all I have right now. Too bad this wasn't closer :(

I have quite a few pics of SilverLeaf as well as the Michigan Renaissance Festival if anyone is interested seeing costumes as well. They are large and even if I could size enough of them down to fit, it would probably take up too much space in my gallery. Anyone interested, please PM me or IM me on AIM. I'll gladly send pics to anyone who wants them!

Ashe
09-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Ooh, I'd pull out my old Faire costumes!

AmazonPrincess
09-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Blue- Hopefully, if it works out, I'll be at Fyne Wood and Stone Boxes, also known as the Puzzle Boxes booth.
'cause I have the most puzzling box in all the shire.
*^_^*

ACXchan
09-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Hmm.. if this turns out to be a success would you consider doing a photoshoot for something like the Dickens Fair in San Francisco? Or any other Victorian fair for that matter XD

AmazonPrincess
09-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Hmm.. if this turns out to be a success would you consider doing a photoshoot for something like the Dickens Fair in San Francisco? Or any other Victorian fair for that matter XD

oooooh, a Dicken's faire shoot as well... *drools* I really need to get my corset..

Admin
09-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Just checking in with the thread - after next week I'm going to look at putting something together. If anyone has any location suggestions I'm all ears.

Rose_Prince
09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
See this is sooo my area of expertise. We need a group of this in the Jersey area so I can make some $$. Been larping for 3 years:)

BlueLady
09-11-2003, 09:22 PM
its kinda far for you gusy admin, but the garders ( if they let us photograph ) have some cool locations. I'll look around and talk to the fellow SCA dorks around here.

Vani
09-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Oh I'd DEFINATELY go!!! I LUV RenFaires so this is something I'd LUUUUV to do!!!! and im in the socal area...so even better!!! ^^

JoeBoeing
09-22-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm there, if I can get a ride... I'm going to start a Male Gypsy costume this week. but I've never been to a renne faire.

From,
Joe

BlueLady
09-23-2003, 01:13 AM
hmm Ive been hunting around LA, theres not so many buildings that look "renne" esque that would be so fond of a group shooting pictures at them. Perhaps Gardens or such?

Admin
10-13-2003, 04:46 AM
I've finally scheduled this - November 29th, tentatively in San Diego. We will be having a Renn/Victorian shoot. I have a cool location for Victorian-style stuff if they don't make me pay too much for it, and we'd be going to Balboa Park afterwards.

There is a forum for this HERE (http://forums.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74).

Leafy
10-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Man, I hate living on the east coast -_-;; I'd love to go to a photo shoot in my ren garb, mebby I can get one going over here, I already know a few people who'd participate, and a few great places to do it n_n

MPsy
11-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Just wondering is this thread also about the Riverside Renfaire?

ELFanatic
11-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Riverside California? What a trip, I used to live there. The last year I went they changed everything and I didn't like it as much. I liked it wrapping around the pond. Was a cool fair though.

Azeem
12-09-2003, 05:57 PM
This is my first post here (but I do know a few of the names here). I just moved from Riverside, CA to Indiana. I'm a Star Wars costumer and we crashed the Ren Fairre a couple of years ago in full armor.

http://www.tk861.com/tdygallery12/tdygallery12.html

I'm the Red Guard. We lasted about 2 hours in the heat before the 103 F temp forced us to change.

Ganesh
12-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Admin: Excellent idea, Renn-gear is close to cosplay and as much fun.

LLC
12-28-2003, 10:42 PM
As far as Victorian goes, besides my REnn-Faire style I might have my LXG Mina Harker done by then

Capt Splat
01-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd do a shoot, but I live in IN. Not much goes on around me.