PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk, how do you do it?

punkpixie2004
08-17-2009, 01:55 AM
I just got back from Gen Con, and I saw a style of cosplay that I loved and wanted to know more about. It is steampunk. If someone was wanting to start making costumes in that style, what would I have to do? Any tips or good places to start research?

ChokolateNeko
08-17-2009, 02:25 AM
I have this question as well! I love what I have seen of it but I don't want to try and imitate it but be horribly wrong or inaccurate.

StrawberrySiren
08-17-2009, 02:29 AM
not an expert on steampunk in the least. but you can find good threads in the other costumes forum.
here's a thread that i think would help.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=158405&highlight=steampunk

Pocketfightr
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I'd recommend the steamfashion livejournal community. There's a lot of stuff there for inspiration and lots of discussion on its influences.

AyameChan
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM
i went to a panel on steam punk at Otakon this year. The one thing I remembered was for things like jetpacks and other various accessories to mod up to steampunk style you could start at Army surplus stores.

Marnum
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
steampunk is the idea of life as if electricity was never invented. Everything being run by steam and wind and waterpower. Victorian style clothes with a bit of a spin.

gentlemansemporium.com

that site has a steampunk section of clothing and props. Watch The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Treasure Planet. Those are both steampunk. also look up steampunk on deviantart.com

That's all I can think of that might help.:)

KittyCanuck
08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Check out http://brassgoggles.co.uk and the forums there. Lots of information about steampunk!

~M~
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
steampunk is an alternate history where the age of information happened in the age of steam. so think victorian, but with a twist. basic clothing has a definite victorian influence, but feel free to tweak it. also, BRASS! it's your friend.

but i gotta say, planning outfits goes more smoothly when you have an idea as to what character you want to do. i would advise staying away from the whole mechanic or airship captain/ pirate/ whatever. they're overdone, so try to think of something imaginative. the steampunk outfit i'm working on now is a sort of steam-powered marionette.

hope this helps a bit!
:3

vintageshake
09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
One time at a convention, I saw a band playing called The Extraordinary Contraptions. I suppose they're steampunk music? Their clothes were cute!