PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Japan!

awkward_turtle
08-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Hello all,

Here in a few months, I will be going on a trip to Japan (Specifically Tokyo, but briefly visiting Kyoto, Nikko, Nara, and a few places in between). My question for you much more experienced otakus and anime fans is where should I go. I know that I for sure want to find some stores that sell anything and everything anime from DVDs to Manga to Figurines to posters, etc. Can anyone tell me about any must go to places? I hear there are some malls that have good finds. Anyway, thanks in advance!

-Turtle

P.S. Any must see places and restaurant suggestions would not be opposed at all! (You can read the books, but they don't have the experience of real people!) Thanks!

Killmesarah
08-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Mandarake. There is one in Shibuya, one in Akihabara (8 floors) and one in Nakano. The one in Nakano is fantastic because its broken up in a toy mall. Tons of stuff in Nakano (even better than Akiba). I make regular stops in all 3 ^_^V

Etsu
09-05-2009, 10:39 PM
There's also Animate and ACos in Ikebukuro. ACos is really cool because it has cheap costumes and a purikura machine for you to use after you try on something.

Bluewater
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
I want to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and Tokio. (I had 6 months) :D
The best is Nara with many temple and not so much people.
Kyoto is best with food AND temple. But I hate the bus system... You should go to kinkakuji.
You should buy a kimono there.
Osaka is famous for shopping. You can get there many things. But no shoes over 7 and clothes over size M....
Tokio is a big city with many stores. I went to Animate and ACos in Akibahara. Really nice.
But the biggest is mandarake in Akibahara. :) However, my favorit shop (mandarake) is in Osaka Umeda, but really difficult to find!! They open at 12 and close at 8 pm...

crystaltiara
09-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I heard about ACos, but I have a few questions. How much does it cost to take purikura? And how much do you pay to try on their costumes? Lastly, where in Ikebukuro is it? I've been to Animate, but I just can't find ACos. There's a map on their website, but it slightly confuses me. Hope someone can address my questions. Thanks!

Bluewater
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
ACos is a store which is in the basement of Animate in Akibahara. You do not need to pay for trying one cosplay. But you need to be sure that you want to buy it! You are not allowed to take photos or something like that. You should speak japanese, because they can not speak english. :)