PDA

View Full Version : Need Major Wig Help!!

Demri
08-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Heyas! I just bought an auburn wig today for cosplaying Shion Uzuki from Xenosaga. It's the right length, just a little too red (it needs to be brown-er) and it also needs to flatten a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a little bit more brown to the wig and/or how I can straighten it a little? I've never used a wig before, so I am completely clueless. Thankees!!

Koumori
08-14-2003, 08:29 PM
There are a few threads on this already.. try this one for the popular marker coloring method pioneered by Katie Bair... http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?threadid=14805

and here's her tutorial on her straightening method: http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_straightening.html

Demri
08-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Kourmori! Guess I didn't scroll down enough...

Demri
08-15-2003, 02:38 PM
After being advised markering may not be the best way to go, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can actually use like henna dye or any other types of hair dye on a wig??

Gren
08-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Most dyes are meant to be used on natural fibers, and won't work on synthetic wigs. What changed your mind on markering?

betani
08-15-2003, 03:51 PM
henna may work (esp. if you want to make it darker) - hair dye may not be the best way to go though. i used tye dye dye and that worked pretty well (sorry, i don't have any pics to show you). but it stayed on (doesn't run) and covered pretty well. the wig looks pretty natural, which is amazing since it's a light green, but it has that "my hair just happened to grow this way" feel.

Koumori
08-15-2003, 05:43 PM
The problem is that wigs are not hair. Hair dye is meant to work with the porosity and the oils in protein-based hair, not with plastic fibers. Henna does stain most things, so you might be able to get it to hold a little bit of color on a wig. Anything else will be at best a crapshoot.

Demri
08-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Well, I private messaged SynVanSiWes (I'm guessing that's Katie Bair??) to ask her expertise in this specific situation and she replied that she has since found out that prisma markers and even sharpies can actually run really bad and destroy costumes. So, I decided I'd look for another option, and henna seemed most logical. I will have to try and out and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I wasted $20 but had lots of fun making a great big henna mess. :)

KaraokeKate
08-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, I private messaged SynVanSiWes (I'm guessing that's Katie Bair??) to ask her expertise in this specific situation and she replied that she has since found out that prisma markers and even sharpies can actually run really bad and destroy costumes. So, I decided I'd look for another option, and henna seemed most logical. I will have to try and out and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I wasted $20 but had lots of fun making a great big henna mess. :)

Actually, I'm Katie. ~_^

The only time Sharpies run is when you put them on too heavily and then forget to RINSE THE WIG... Otherwise, they won't run at all. When dying or coloring anything, a colorfastness test is a good idea. I've personally marker colored about 30 wigs now, and none of them that were rinsed continued to run.

Henna will not dye synthetic fiber. Period.

Demri
08-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Oh, sorry, Katie! I get confused an awful lot, as you can tell. Alright, so if I take the wig and use a brown sharpie on it and then rinse it right away when I'm done, it shouldn't ever run?

KaraokeKate
08-16-2003, 01:15 PM
I would suggest you try a yellow or orange Sharpie before you go straight for the brown. If the wig is already auburn, putting brown right on top might give you a VERY dark brown.

Also, it isn't neccesary to rinse it immediately, but you do need to make sure to rinse it *thoroughly*. Basically, the extra ink will just sit on top of the fibers until you rinse the extra away, and you want to make sure the water is running off completely clear. (Just like when you're coloring your own hair, or dyeing fabrics.)

HowilnMadMurphy
08-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Haha, if I let my the water off my hair run clear when I dyed it I'd be there for a week XD

KaraokeKate
08-17-2003, 02:17 AM
Yeah, me too. My tub is always pink. ^_^

But I meant more for permanent dyes, not crazy semi/demi-permanent ones. ~_^

HowilnMadMurphy
08-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I used to have purple tub, but I just filled a spray bottle with bleach and sprayed it down after every shower. It works really well, except if you have some rust stains or spots, it makes them REALLY prominent.