PDA

View Full Version : Android 16 green armor?

FullMetal Ninja
08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey there, I've scoured the internet and the threads for tutorials on armoring, I couldn't find one for Android 16 from Dragon Ball Z. Here is a picture of what he looks like for those who don't know.

http://www.dragonballtoys.com/toyfair2001/images/ir_6_16.jpg

I just want to know how to do the green armor that he wears...If anyone can find or make a tutorial / pattern for me to follow that would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Kitsoru
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Hmmm... I want to say that foam could be shaped into those shapes somehow, but that's quite the tricky armor....

FullMetal Ninja
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
yeah that's why I need help >< I don't know how to use Fiber glass and I don't want to use it unless I know what I'm doing,

Wonderflex I could use but again I don't know what I'm doing D=

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 12:58 AM
bump?

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Hmm...You could do the whole chicken wire and paper mache but that'll be too heavy.. You could make it from cardboard which will take time to cut and shape, then paste resin or bondo or something over it.

Xaevier
11-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Hmm...You could do the whole chicken wire and paper mache but that'll be too heavy.. You could make it from cardboard which will take time to cut and shape, then paste resin or bondo or something over it.

It's going to be heavy either way. I would recommend wire+paper mache and then bondo to seal/give it the rounded look.

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah true...Maybe I'll figure another way

Athel
11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I would direct you to user NarutoRaver who has completed the costume. He could probably give you some tips.

Sadly he hasn't uploaded any photos to his galleries but I have seen the costume in person, and he didn't do a bad job. :)

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I would direct you to user NarutoRaver who has completed the costume. He could probably give you some tips.

Sadly he hasn't uploaded any photos to his galleries but I have seen the costume in person, and he didn't do a bad job. :)
Okay...I'll ask that person. But I still need to know tips so keep posting peeps! ^^

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Foam? : P! You could shape it to it then cover it with resin?...I'm trying my best! XD!

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
lol that's okay ^^ I'll try anything! But what kind of foam?

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
You could try using foam core or sculpting foam ^_^
http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/FlexibleSTYLE/PublishingImages/FSSculptingFoamProduct.jpg

Then just shave it down to how it looks ^.^!
Yeah?!

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
that's sculpting foam?

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, a lot of people use it to sculpt weapons or things like this

http://podcollective.com/fora/cryo2/foam_portal.jpg

Oh and sorry about the first picture, This one showed up and the one on the forum isn't even it ahha

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/tools/foam-spray-00.jpg

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
OH! Okay! ^^ where would I be able to get that? Online? at a store?

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
You can actually get them at walmart, kmart, and other household stores. They like...$5-$10 dollars :]. I suggest using a base to mold it over.
Like this..
http://i33.tinypic.com/zk25gk.jpg

Haha sorry I made it just now, but you get my point as a base xD!

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
OMG!!! Thank you SO much!! -huggles-

Chergnomebyl
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
You're welcome ^_^ I hope it works out that way and I'm sure it will turn out wonderful, update me so I can see how it turns out ^_________________^!!!

FullMetal Ninja
11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
sure! ^_^

FullMetalSam
11-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I don't know why it wasn't proposed but maybe you should go with "mattress foam". You know the kind of foam that is used in mattress (well duh!) and cushionning and stuff like that. You can buy this foam in very thick sheet (you can easily get 4'' and 6'' thick sheet at a fabric store). This kind of foam can be sculpted to get the armor your trying to do.

However, if you're looking for thick sheet of foam, it's going to be costly.
I never thought I would read myself say this :) - but in this case, I recommend Wonderflex. There are a bunch of great tutorial on how to use it properly... even on this forum (look up the wonderflex thread, you'll find links to the tutorial I'm talking about).

But essentially, working with wonderflex is about shaping it (with heat) to what you want to do. So you need heat (anything can be used here, stove top, hot water, etc - I would recommend a heat gun) and you need a "buck" (don't know if I got the word right, but it refers to a "positive mold"... something you'll be able to use to shape your wonderflex over). The "buck" can be made from anything (wood, clay, whatever)... it doesn't even need to be "that" strong. Once you got that, you can start shaping your wonderflex and voilą!

However, something that needs to be said is that you'll need to work on making the wonderflex smooth on the exterior of your armor. Wonderflex is not smooth and is not a good looking surface for armor. In every tutorial you'll find on wonderflex for costuming you will find a way to seal it, smooth it and then paint it. Choose the one that works for you and try it.