PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing Manga?

TokyoCutie
08-15-2003, 10:39 AM
I know there is an Anime Hellsing, *which is great* but is there a manga of hellsing?

Midknight
08-16-2003, 03:31 AM
Yes. There are currently 5 volumes availible in Japanese. The domestic / English release should be in a few months... November I think...

TokyoCutie
08-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Ahh, I c! Yey! Thank you! ^_^

arucard
08-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Is the manga verson longer than the anima verson?

Midknight
08-19-2003, 06:51 PM
I don't know if I'd really say longer... The storyline flows differently than in the anime. There are things in the manga that are not in the anime, and there are things in the anime that are not in the manga (Incognito for instance). Although, book number 5 does say, "To Be Continued," at the end (I don't know if that means anything or not, though, I certainly hope it does).

arucard
08-19-2003, 08:50 PM
so incognito isnt in the manga? is there more of alexander anderson?

Lucifer
08-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Alexander Anderson is much cooler in the manga then he is in the anime, at least in my opinion. Much more psychotic.

arucard
08-20-2003, 08:22 AM
YES!!!!! Just when I thought he couldn't get crazyer...... that silly priest

Tiirz
08-30-2003, 02:18 AM
There's more humor in the manga as well. And Seras's first taste of human blood is very...different... ;)

Railiens
08-30-2003, 02:21 AM
Argh, want Hellsing manga sooo badly. Picked it up at Otakon and skimmed through it... soo hott (waiting for November).

:D

Tiirz
08-30-2003, 02:39 AM
The evil thing is that Dark Horse will only be putting out the first book then. Does anyone know how long it usually takes them to get more books out in a series?

Daitenshi
08-30-2003, 03:48 AM
At least with Dark Horse you can expect a high quality release with good translations! Unlike Viz.. *stabby stabby*

I really love the Hellsing manga! Integra and Alucard play off of each other really well. Those two are always bickering, and it's quite funny.
While the anime has a stylish touch I find the manga to be much better ^_^

Moon Prince
08-30-2003, 04:36 AM
The Hellsing manga is currently being serialized in Young King Ours.

The manga is more violent and more humorous at the same time... It is quite different in some ways.

The Dark Horse publication will come out 12/28. It will be produced in Japanese format..

ACXchan
08-30-2003, 09:35 PM
The manga has Pip, Heinkel, and Schrodinger which automatically makes it better than the anime XD I'm pretty sure the manga's still running because vol. 5 would be a very... odd place to leave off.

Arisugawa Juri
08-30-2003, 11:37 PM
The Dark Horse release is scheduled for December, not November. I'm certain that there will be more than five volumes, as the conflict with the Millennium Organization was not resolved. The manga boasts more characters, better characterization, and a smoother plot, not to mention entirely different villains (which I've heard did not make it to the television release due to their correlation with the Nazi regime). I own #1-5, and I highly recommend them, though the Dark Horse release will probably be preferred by most reading this.

Oh yes, check out Alucard's gun on the cover of manga volume 1. I wonder why "Clockwork Giant Pandas" didn't make it onto his gun in the anime? :P

ACXchan
08-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Arisugawa: The manga boasts more characters, better characterization, and a smoother plot, not to mention entirely different villains (which I've heard did not make it to the television release due to their correlation with the Nazi regime).

I believe MG did make it to the anime but rather than throwing Rip and co. at Hellsing corp. they gave them Incognito.

Arisugawa Juri
08-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Incognito is said to have come from "the continents," giving no hint to his affiliation with the Millennium party. He is pretty much throw in, almost as an afterthought, and they never seemed to make any effort to mention his relationship with Krieg, Rip Van Winkle, or any others.

arucard
09-01-2003, 12:24 PM
who is krieg and rip van wrinkle? or do i have to wait for december.

Arisugawa Juri
09-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Potential spoilers.

Major Krieg is the leader of the Millennium Organization, the true villains of Hellsing, a sort of neo-Nazi organization. You can see him in the "Psalm of Darkness" music video as the one clapping, surrounded by two other men. Rip van Winkle is Millennium's vampiress, a freckled, musket-toting one at that. Cosplay.com member Anya's friend Sam did a wonderful Rip van Winkle portrayal at Otakon.

Hope this helps. You'd have to wait past December, as the Millennium Organization does not fully surface until the end of the fourth tankouban.

Moon Prince
09-01-2003, 02:47 PM
I can't find Young King Ours at my local Japanese bookstore... I do have all 5 Japanese books...

I will be looking forward to reading...

I do so hope that the manga actually gets finsihed.. unlike Patlabor. That just stopped, right in the middle of a major plot at ish 22 and I have not found anythis US past vol. 2.

ACXchan! Hey? Is that you? Haven't heard from "shrodie"... It's 'wounded Integral' from AX. *waves*

ACXchan
09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't *think* Hirano would do that although this is the only series of his that I read. I kind of want to find his hentai series because that's supposedly the first series that featured Pip before Hellsing XD

The Hellsing manga sort of comes out slowly, I remember thinking vol. 4 might be the last volume because it took a while for vol. 5 to come out, now it's 5's turn.

Btw, yes it's me from AX XD! Hi there, akekeke. I haven't heard from Schrodie since she sent the first mail out and that one had some address errors.

Moon Prince
09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
I should just ask the Japanese store I get my subcription to Hyper Hobby from to add on Young Kings Ours too so I can keep up with Hellsing..

It's hard to wait a year for the next collection to come out.

I found 'Alucard' on another board...

ACXchan
09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Those subscriptions can be detrimental to your health XD I subscribe to BexBoy and BexBoy GOLD @D@ Also, I don't know how YKO publishes but sometimes series are in every other issue instead of every issue.

I've found you, Bubbancy, and Anderson (I forget what number he is), and Rip and Walter (girl Walter) are buddies of mine ^ ^

arucard
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
How strong is rip and krieg? can they give alrucard a good fight?

Arisugawa Juri
09-03-2003, 07:26 PM
I've yet to see Krieg's strength, but Rip is decently powerful. However, certain events in volume 5 may prove otherwise.

ACXchan
09-03-2003, 07:35 PM
You want to see strong and resilient? Check out Schrodinger XD You'd have to pick up volumes 4 and 5 to see how that turns out.

Moon Prince
09-03-2003, 10:44 PM
You want to see strong and resilient? Check out Schrodinger XD You'd have to pick up volumes 4 and 5 to see how that turns out.

It's been a while since I looked at my manga...

I almost feel sorry for Rip... Alucard really does a number on her.

There is always something they leave out from going from manga to anime... and creative decisions...

Andersong #1 was my friend... Cody.

ACXchan
09-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Yeah Cody! Anderson #1 lol. I've also made contact with one of the Alucards.

Don't mind me regarding Schrodinger in vol. 4. I can't help it how he looks like he's about to do a number on Alucard's gun @D@

Moon Prince
09-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah Cody! Anderson #1 lol. I've also made contact with one of the Alucards.

Don't mind me regarding Schrodinger in vol. 4. I can't help it how he looks like he's about to do a number on Alucard's gun @D@

One of the Alucard's, is nuts. ^^; I'm driving her up to Ani-Magic next month... :dance:

And oh my god! You are so right. That is so funny... You know... considering Kouta Hirano's background... it's not a surprise..

ACXchan
09-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Er... is it Courtney? That's the one I know.

And akakakak maybe it was intentional, Schrodinger *is* a catboy in a Hitler's Youth uniform, that in itself is kinda kinky @D@

Moon Prince
09-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Yeah... Courtney. She's nuts. ^^; but then I'm nuts at times too...

Kinky nazi catboy... It will be nice to actually read and understand the manga...

arucard
10-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Does the manga tell more about Alexander Anderson's past?

sethbramwell
01-27-2005, 06:00 AM
I've read up thru Vol5 of the AMerican release, and sadly, no, there's not much about Anderson's past :-( There are a lot of small things form the end of the anime i wish it would explain, such as anderson appearing for seemingly no purpose during the final battle between Alucard and Incognito....

Anyhoo, IMHO the manga kicks the anime's ass, and this is from one who LOVED the anime. The Millenium group, esp. my fave, Schrodinger, can kick Incognito's butt, and gives Hellsing a decent run for their money.

Speaking of Schrodinger I just finished my wig with his cat, er, werewolf, ears. Can't wait for anizona....

Allan

KaineMaxwell
01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I have vol 1 and enjoyed it. Definitly recommend it!

Tess
01-31-2005, 12:11 AM
Ah, the manga is absolutely fabulous. I worship it shamelessly.

Just a few moments ago, actually, I finished watching my copy of the Hellsing anime, and... Well, my reaction is somewhat borderline. I love the anime as a stand-alone, I suppose, but when compared with the manga... I MUCH prefer the direction the comic is going, as opposed to the Incognito story arch, the episode with Integral stabbing herself, etc. I found myself missing the Nazis, LOL. ^^; That sounds so wrong, but... *shrug* I <333 Rip and the rest of those guys. But mostly Rip. ^__^ And where was Pip in all of this?

I guess I just had such high expectations for the anime, considering I've been reading the manga for half a year, now. The animation, music, voice acting [... Crispin Freeman. *drool puddle*] and everything were amazing. But the story didn't hold a candle to the manga's plot.

@-->--- Tess

Giant Alucard
01-31-2005, 08:02 AM
I definitly like the manga more than the anime. I have up to vol.5 right now in the american release, plus the art style is great.

Purple Flames
01-31-2005, 09:37 AM
I LOVE the Hellsing manga. It was my first manga and I just fell in love with it. I'm up to vol. 5 and can't wait for the next release, whenever that'll be.

I love how the plot actually flows nicely as opposed to the series where it's just all over the place. But the kicker for me is that Anderson is somehow even more awesome in the manga that he was in the anime. They took his psychosis and badassticity (I made that one up myself) and magnified it like a thousand times. Oh, and I like how they actually kept him around in the anime instead of leaving him hanging and then showing him for a 2 second cameo in the final episode. As you can see, I'm an Anderson mark =P

I plan on reading through the volumes I have since I still don't quite understand a few plot points. It usually takes a few tries for me to fully understand a complicated plot like this one.

P.S. is anyone else a fan of the bonus manga Crossfire at the end of each volume?

sethbramwell
01-31-2005, 11:39 PM
P.S. is anyone else a fan of the bonus manga Crossfire at the end of each volume?

Definitely! Heinkel and Yumi Rock! I love it that Hirano re-used them in hellsing- If you'll notice, Heinkel is serving as Enrico's soldier/bodyguard at the big meeting that Schrodinger breaks into with the communique from the Major. (Tho I'm not sure that Yumie reappeared in Hellsing.... but one female Iscariot is better than zerol, LOL)

Rip_The_Hunter
02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I love the Manga! The anime series cant even compare to it. Even though Gonzo basically doomed the anime series by cutting it's funds :miffed: Originally, the anime series included Mellinium and pip(who can still be seen in a rough sketch with the hellsing crew), because of the budget cuts and the fact that the manga was only up to volume 3, the series was ditched and Incognito was created.

I'm already up to Vol 7, :mfg: Hellsing Rocks My Socks! :bigtu: Sofar someone's been killed off, Seras's vamperic powers finally awaken, Alucard proves how much he kicks a**, and enrico gets the pee-water scared out of him several times.

If any one liked the Crossfire spin-off, be on the lookout for HELLSING:THE DAWN. It's about walter and alucard's fight to defeat Mellinium during WW2, and alucard looks sooo cute! :love:

pm me if you want to see a pict of him.

sethbramwell
02-21-2005, 03:57 PM
just curious to anyone who's read further than the American Release of the manga....

Are the origins of the Millennium group explained any futhrer than they have been in Vol. 5? Obviously, they are all vampires or some other supernatural form, as in flashbacks both Rip and the Major look the same in the 1940's as they do today), but does the manga explain how they came to be this way at all? Anything on the backgrounds or rorgins of Captain, Doc, Zorin, or Schrodinger? I'd love to get more backstory on them...

Thanks,
Allan

Silvana_Girl
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
YA BABY! HELLSING MANGA! im hopelessly obssesed! im doing a adorable schrodinger costume at Ctcon and otakon, i hope i dont get shot due to the nazi symbols everywhere, but anyway! I LOVE IT! the anime couldnt even compare, i love the story, everything about it, ive been buying the reprint, so i havent finished the series, im only on no. 5, 6 is coming out come march.

Sakura987
03-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I have volumes 1-5, but i haven't read 5 yet.

sethbramwell
03-13-2005, 11:57 PM
I have volumes 1-5, but i haven't read 5 yet.

It rocks :-) Tho it does leave you drooling for vol. 6

(and it reinforces my opinion- Schrodinger is the coolest smartass nazi catboy around) (erm, then again, how many smartass nazi catboys exist?)

Sakura987
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I finished watching Volumes 1-4 of Hellsing. The manga is a lot different than the anime.

sethbramwell
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Yep. I would tell anyone to eiether do the anime firsat or skip it entirely, cause i feel if you do the manga forst you'll be just let down by the anime.

Rikku789
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I am so in love with the Hellsing manga. I've been collecting since 2003! I've only seen the manga.. and the anime in German once! ehe... ^^;
Well... I still need the 5th volume. It should of came out in January, but it didn't at my local book store! Ugh...
Does anyone know when the 5th and 6th are gonna come out... or anybe even the 7th???

Rip Van Winkle
03-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Ahh I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. Arighty...a few things to clear up though.

1) The Major's name isn't Krieg. That speculation/rumor came from volume 4 when he was asking his soldiers what they want...they all uniformedly yelled 'Krieg! Krieg!' Krieg means 'War' in german. They were calling for war. The Major's name is Montana Max. (Side note: 90% of Hellsing's cast was originally in Hirano's original hentai doujinshis. Coyote [Pip, Major], Angel Dust [Anderson], Cross Fire [Enrico, Heinkel, Yumiko, and pseudo-Anderson], Legend of the Vampire Hunter [Alucard, Seras, Luke, Jan] and some random little thing he did for kicks [Doc].)
2) There are currently 7 complete volumes. The 8th is currently 4 chapters long, running in Young King Ours Magazine. Yes, it has all been translated so far (except for the current latest chapter...whoever scanned it decided to white-out the word bubbles, the bastard.)
3) No, the origins of the Millennium Group have not been revealed just yet.
4) No, Anderson's past has not been revealed just yet. He has, however, switched sides. I won't say who to or why. It's reaaaally good though.
5) The anime and manga follow the same story up until anime eps 7, and manga volume 2. The last thing that connected the duo was the attack by Luke and Jan. Since then, both stories went out on their own ways and have never been similar since. However, there are paralells in both that are very unique (Alucard's temporary removal from battle, Walter's coercing to work for the enemy, Seras wanting to turn someone she looses into a vampire but being unable to, London's complete destruction, etc)
6) Everything is on my website. I swear, I have the biggest English Hellsing manga site on the planet <_< (Not to be mistaken with self-promotion...I would've posted another site if there were one...mine just happened to be it.)