PDA

View Full Version : Have you bought a pattern that worked for a Ouran jacket?

JiseiHakushaku
08-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Hi there. I didn't know where else to post this. TT___TT

I originally was asking if anyone had bought a pattern, but I might have found one. I'd still appreciate anything you can direct me to that I wouldn't need to edit as much as the one I did find..

What fabric would you use for an Ouran blazer also? T.T

Kitsoru
08-29-2009, 01:36 AM
For a uniform jacket like that, I'd recommend maybe a lightweight twill?

Mehdia
08-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I have helped my brother make one and we did one for a friend. For his, we used a Vogue mens pattern #1753 and for her's it was a Simplicity or McCall's, I don't remember which. But they were both just basic suit jacket patterns. I had to find one small enough to fit her, so it was actually a children's and men's pattern set.

As for the fabrics, I would suggest just finding a good twill or suiting fabric in the right color. Also, I would suggest lining it if at all possible. And don't forget to interface it on the collar to make it look nice and crisp. Ouran students wouldn't dare have wrinkly jackets!

Sarcasm-hime
08-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Jackets are harder than they look. Make sure you interface wherever the pattern recommends, and don't use too flimsy a fabric. Try to get something similar to what you see on actual suit jackets. Don't forget shoulderpads! Even small ones are necessary to keep the shoulder line of a jacket nice and straight.

The Hag
08-29-2009, 07:50 AM
I used this one:
http://www.quicksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3485&QL=Special_Occ

As I recall, it had a half lining and I did a full one. I did the anime version so I also altered the lapel from notched to peaked. Other than that, it was just fitting alterations.

Strongly agreeing with Sarcasm-hime on not using a flimsy fabric. I used a medium weight wool and even then, in hindsight, wish that I'd used an interlining as well.

Also make sure to use good quality interfacing - i.e. NOT the standard fusible pellon.

If you've never made a jacket before, I also recommend that you go to a thrift store, find the cheapest one you can and tear it apart so that you can see how the inside is constructed.

Good luck! ^_^