PDA

View Full Version : What is crossplay ive heared of cosplay but not this.

Shadowlvr
08-15-2003, 04:40 PM
usually when i hear crossplay i think its someone missplelling cosplay but now that i see this i see i was horribly mistaken.
So is Crossplay like crossdressing basicly??? Well do ya mind clearing this up for me.

Menchi
08-15-2003, 05:11 PM
crossplay isnt really an actual term but its mroe or less cosplaying as a char that is opposite gender that you are. for example: a guy going as dejiko, or beldandy or so on. crossdressing implies alot more...more getting some kinda thrill like sexual or emotional. it ahrd to explain but there is a difference

Shadowlvr
08-15-2003, 05:14 PM
i sorta understand lol.

Karisu-sama
08-15-2003, 05:37 PM
We need a sticky on this subject.

Some basic definitions:
Costume (verb) = to make a costume (noun) of a character.

Costumer = the person making the costume.

Cosplay (verb) = to wear a costume of a character.

Cosplayer = the person wearing the costume. (Often the same as the costumer.)

Crossplay (verb) = a subset of cosplay: to wear a costume where the character in question is of the opposite sex as the cosplayer.

Crossplayer = a girl wearing a costume of a character who is a guy, or a guy wearing a costume of a character who is a girl.

"Crossplay" has nothing to do with whether a character is actually crossDRESSING; just that the actual sex of the character is different from the actual sex of the cosplayer.

Shadowlvr
08-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Ohhhh thx for clearing that up for me :)

Michi
08-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Keep in mind that they aren't supposed to be horribly different... It's still all cosplay. We just have a crossplay forum because some aspects of it need help/discussion (like strapping down for girls).