PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: "What is CROSSPLAY"? and related word definitions

Karisu-sama
08-15-2003, 05:22 PM
NOTE: This particular post is edited / updated as I see fit.

"CROSSPLAY" is merely a subset of "cosplay". Cosplaying is a theatrical behavior, the definition of which follows below.

NOTE!! The definitions below include "crossdressing". Both crossplaying and crossdressing-during-cosplay (separate things) are theatrical modes of behavior. This FAQ is not meant to cover crossdressing outside of the theatrical mode, which is an entirely different topic suited for another board. Cosplay.com is a COSPLAY BOARD.

Some basic definitions:
Costume (noun) = clothing, props etc. worn to represent a character.
Costume (verb) = to make a costume (noun) of a character.
Costumer = the person who makes / puts together the costume. (Sometimes also used as a synonym for "cosplayer", meaning the person who wears the costume.)

Cosplay - origins: a contraction by Nov (Nobuyuki) Takahashi (of Studio Hard) of the English-language words "costume play". He was inspired by hall and masquerade costuming (including anime!) at the 1984 Los Angeles SF Worldcon, and his enthusiastic reports of it in Japanese SF magazines sparked the Japanese cosplay movement. (Cosplay in the US is a RE-IMPORT, not a homegrown Japanese phenomenon. )
Cosplay (noun) = the state of wearing of costumes, as in "he's involved with cosplay". Sometimes used as a synonym for "masquerade" at an anime con.
Cosplay (verb) = to wear a costume of a character.
Cosplayer = the person who wears the costume. (Often the same person as the costumer, but not always. Some cosplayers have their costumes made by another person; ie: my cosplayer kids wear costumes that I make.)

Crossplay (verb) = a subset of cosplay: to wear a costume where the character in question is of the opposite sex as the cosplayer.
Crossplayer = either a girl wearing a costume of a character who is a guy, or a guy wearing a costume of a character who is a girl.

Crossdressing = wearing non-gender-neutral clothes considered to be appropriate to the opposite sex. A character may be crossdressing, but this does not automatically mean that the cosplayer wearing that costume is crossplaying. "Crossplay" has nothing to do with whether a character is actually crossDRESSING; it only refers to a difference between the sex of the character and that of the cosplayer.

A guy cosplaying Nuriko, Kamatari or Mana is NOT crossplaying, although he IS crossdressing.
A girl cosplaying Nuriko, Kamatari or Mana IS crossplaying, but is NOT crossdressing.
A guy cosplaying Utena or Sakura is both crossplaying AND crossdressing.
A girl cosplaying Kenshin or Vash is both crossplaying AND crossdressing. (Note: I am not referring to "femme versions" of costumes, but the costume designs as actually worn by the original male characters.)

When I cosplay Dilandau, I'm both crossplaying AND crossdressing. (The character himself is not crossdressing, just me.)

Neither crossplaying nor crossdressing actually indicate anything about a person's sexual orientation. You CANNOT tell if a crossplayer is Gay, Het or Bi just by the fact that they crossplay. As for crossdressing, whether in cosplay or even in mundane life, it may or may not indicate something about a person's gender identity, so NEVER ASSUME, because you could indeed be wrong.

Why cosplay.com has a crossplay forum:
In order for cosplayers to discuss issues related to crossplay; from the basics of temporarily altering body shape (ie: chest binding for female crossplayers and creating fake boobs for male crossplayers) to dealing with the social aspects (ie: possibly disapproving parents, people mistakenly assuming that crossplayers are gay, etc.)

Why do people crossplay?
The reasons vary. Occasionally one may see crossplay done as a form of satire / humorous behavior, but it appears that a large majority of crossplay occurs simply because:
1) a cosplayer likes a particular character,
2) they like the character enough that they want to cosplay as that character, and:
3) they do not feel that a simple difference in gender between themselves and the character should be a barrier to cosplaying that character.

Sesshy_InuGirl
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
thanks for clearing this up.Now I know the difference.

Merle-kun
08-22-2003, 04:55 AM
And knowing is half the battle! GI Joe! =3

To add to your description.. the term cosplay was coined by Nov. Takahashi in a series of articles he wrote in 1982 for "My Anime" magazine. =3

Karisu-sama
08-23-2003, 03:31 AM
To add to your description.. the term cosplay was coined by Nov. Takahashi in a series of articles he wrote in 1982 for "My Anime" magazine. =3
So recently?? Sheesh - then I (and some other anime cosplayers I knew at the time) were cosplaying before the word contraction was even created! Aie!! @.@

(Shhhh - I did a very LAME-ass crossplay of Speed Racer once at an SF con back then - but it was really more a "femme version" because crossplay just wasn't done at the time.)

Igniz
09-03-2003, 04:18 PM
thanks for the the info, Karisu-sama :)
I didn't knew what means crossplay

Michela
09-15-2003, 02:44 PM
A character may be crossdressing, but this does not automatically mean that the cosplayer wearing that costume is crossplaying. "Crossplay" has nothing to do with whether a character is actually crossDRESSING; it only refers to a difference between the sex of the character and that of the cosplayer.

A guy cosplaying Nuriko, Kamatari or Mana is NOT crossplaying, although he IS crossdressing.

THANK YOU for mentioning that... (you're woderful! :) ) often, when I mention the exact same thing, others believe I'm mistaken. -_- It's interesting to know how different "costumer" was from "cosplayer..." I guess I should begin to call myself a "costumer" rather than a mere "cosplayer" now ^_~

Hakaider
10-24-2003, 08:21 PM
In the past, some people are confused as to what the differences are between a transexual, transvestite and a crossplayer.

I hope these definitions would also help clear up some confusions.

Here are the definitions as defined by Psychologists:

Herotosexual-"Straight" or one who prefers the opposite gender.

Homosexual-"Gay", "Lesbian" or one who prefers the same gender.

Bisexual-One who prefers both sexes.

Transvestite-One who wears clothes of the opposite gender as a fetish.

Transexual- One who is mentally female but male physically or male mentally and female physically.

Note: Transexuals are not homosexuals because they see themselves as the same gender of their gender psychologically and mentally. To Transexuals, they are not crossdressing but are wearing what is normal attire for the specific gender. They see themselves as herotosexuals.

Hermaphrodites-Who has the same physical characteristics (Including genitals) of both male and female. Hermaphrodites and Transexuals are often lumped into the same category.

Note: Psychologists do not have crossplay or cosplay in their official vocabulary.

Crossplayer- A subset of cosplay.

A crossplayer IS a cosplayer.

There are many reasons why cosplayers crossplay.

Among them are:

1. They admire the characters and doesn't let their gender stop them from cosplaying the character.

2. They do it for laughs or comedy.

3. They do it for shock value.

4. They love to cosplay.

5. They see it as a challenge.

It is a common myth and misconception for some people to naturally assume that crossplayers are all homosexuals or transvestites. Many crossplayers are straight and lead normal lives outside of cosplay. There are cosplayers who are also gay and do a wonderful job of cosplaying. When it comes to cosplay, it should bear no significance if they are straight or gay.

There are NO straight or gay cosplayers.

There are only COSPLAYERS.

Fault
10-25-2003, 10:19 AM
*cough* And since some transexuals are in fact gay of bisexual, it's best to point out that Gender is a completely separate concept from Sexuality.

To summarise: Gender is who you are, sexuality is who you want to be with.

I agree with Hakaider, cosplay is cosplay. Gender and sexuality are trifling concerns compared with what series, what character and whether the safety pins will hold.

RoboGundam6
11-06-2003, 10:07 AM
COOL! I was wondering myself, but kinda knew it by the word-play. I'm a crossplayer, cuz I love Iori Yagami...sigh....what? You didn't see that!
<_< NM. But I crossplay him ^^! Now for Setsuna form Last Blade, what a hottie ^^

Souma Mitsuko
11-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Heheh, so, I was crossplaying on Halloween... cool! XDDD *was Miroku*

ThatYaoiBoy
12-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Transexual- One who is mentally female but male physically or male mentally and female physically.

Note: Transexuals are not homosexuals because they see themselves as the same gender of their gender psychologically and mentally. To Transexuals, they are not crossdressing but are wearing what is normal attire for the specific gender. They see themselves as herotosexuals.

Actually, a transexual can be homosexual, bi or straight. If you are FtM and prefer males sexually, you are homosexual. If you prefer women, you're straight and if you prefer both, you're bisexual. For MtF (male to female) if you prefer females, then you're homosexual, if you prefer males you're straight and if you prefer both, you're bisexual. However for both FtM and MtF If you prefer male, female, adrogynous (sp?), transexuals, hermaphrodites you are Pansexual :D

Karisu-sama
12-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Actually, a transexual can be homosexual, bi or straight.
Quite true. I know a post-op FtM who prefers women - he's what one would call straight (although when he was a she, she identified as lesbian.) I know a MtF who prefers woman - she's a lesbian. And yet another MtF whom I know likes both - she's bi.

Yes, it can be very confusing. But what one sex one perceives oneself to ought to be (and may even get surgery to physically become) is not related to one's sexual orientation toward others.

dani
12-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Yes, it can be very confusing. But what one sex one perceives oneself to ought to be (and may even get surgery to physically become) is not related to one's sexual orientation toward others.

The way I look at it:

- There is your anatomy (man, woman)

- There is who you feel you are (male, female)

- There is who you want to be with in a relashionship (gay straight, bi...)

- There is how you want to look (masculine, femenine, androgynous...)

And regardless of what society expects those four things are NOT necesarily related to one another.

Seeyou

Dani

Belmont
12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
There is who you feel you are (male, female)

Speaking for myself, I would also add "ungendered/androgynous/neuter" to this category. I just never really identified myself strongly in any gender role...

- Belmont
(In Real Life: bishounen get no love!)

dani
12-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Speaking for myself, I would also add "ungendered/androgynous/neuter" to this category. I just never really identified myself strongly in any gender role...

Yes. My intention was just to name the different categories or levels, not to list the options within each one.

Cheers

Dani

HyperrrMouse
03-25-2004, 12:20 AM

- Belmont
(In Real Life: bishounen get no love!)
You're not the only one ^_^ My old roomie and i decided what we are would be called "asexual."

I have to pretty much aggree with most all of what is said. The beauty of Cosplaying is that you take on another role wholy and completely for a day, and all that other stuff really doesn't matter, as long as you love what you are doing. :dance: I also love how openminded and accepting everyone is being in this forum, it's uplifting and makes one feel even better about a favoured hobby.

Chino-San
05-04-2004, 07:15 PM
I think the word crossplay means Cross Gender Costume Play Remove the gender and the costume and you have crossplay

aguynamedgoo
08-16-2004, 06:46 PM
I am glad you cleared this up, because several people asked me if me dressing as Ritsu from Fruits Basket was crossplay. I didn't think so because he's male even though he wears female clothes, but I honestly didn't know.

aguynamedgoo
08-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Okay, here's a question to you all:

If a transitioning transsexual cosplays someone who is the opposite of their current physical sex, is that crossplay? Here's an added layer: that character is a crossdresser himself.

Saaski_Moql
08-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Wait..so the situation is that a say...female transitioning to male wants to cos/crossplay as Mana, what would that be called?

Hrm, well I think if we are looking at just current physical sex, not what the person considers themself, then I guess it would be crossplay; since Mana is the opposite sex (male), but not crossdressing; since Mana is dressed in female clothes, and female happens to be the current physical sex of the person who is dressing up.

Whew! ^_^;; that was a bit hard to get the words right. Sorry if it didn't come out properly...

aguynamedgoo
08-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Wait..so the situation is that a say...female transitioning to male wants to cos/crossplay as Mana, what would that be called?

Hrm, well I think if we are looking at just current physical sex, not what the person considers themself, then I guess it would be crossplay; since Mana is the opposite sex (male), but not crossdressing; since Mana is dressed in female clothes, and female happens to be the current physical sex of the person who is dressing up.

Whew! ^_^;; that was a bit hard to get the words right. Sorry if it didn't come out properly...

I am inclined to believe it's more mental sex myself, I was just wondering what the crossplay experts (like the wonderful Karisu-sama) had to say on the topic. I have yet to cosplay a female and I don't plan to. Just like in every day life where I dress and act like a man, I prefer male characters. Ritsu is the only time I've gone in the opposite direction, as he's male but he's a crossdresser. My friends say that it depends on two factors: one, what people choose to think of me as and two, how I personally think of myself. Most of my friends and my fianc think of me as a guy, so they don't consider it crossplay. Some people think I am just crazy and therefore still think of me as a girl, so it would be crossplay. Their loss. I'll admit I wouldn't spend so much time in the crossplay boards, though, if I were 100% confident that what I was doing wouldn't be considered crossplay to myself or others.

dani
08-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Labels are just that, labels. They don't define us. Arguing (either with others or with oneself) about when a particular label (for example crossplay) applies or not is not time I'd consider well spent. Semantics won't make our costume better or worst.

For me, the usefulness of "crossplay" as a subject refers to the practicality of it: does the costume includes binding? tucking? body silhouette reshaping? Hiding a beard with makeup? Faking a beard with makeup? Then it's crossplaying, regardless of the "nominal" gender of the character or the cosplayer. At least in my book.

Saaski_Moql
08-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Sorry about that then ^^;;; Dani kind of said what I meant.
I'm not that good with words, so if I wrote anything so it sounded wrong, please forgive me.

dani
08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Your sexuality is based on a spectrum. If your a crossdresser, your gonna be further towards gay on that spectrum. I think most crossdressers suppress their feelings towards someone of the same sex, as being a crossdresser is enough to deal with. If roughly 2 or 3 percent of the population crossdresses, its truly hard to find someone who actually knows what you have gone through. I think that a relationship between 2 male crossdressers is inevitable at some point. To sum up my point, your sexuality and gender to have significant correlations.

I couldn't disagree more with what you just said... You are just perpetrating an unfortunate stereotype.

Dani

Karisu-sama
08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Your sexuality is based on a spectrum. If your a crossdresser, your gonna be further towards gay on that spectrum
Uhhhh.... "A" doesn't lead to "B". "A" refers to orientation (who you are attracted to), whereas "B" is related to self-identification (the various aspects of your own psychological self-identity.) These are two entirely different things.

Yes, a person's sexual orientation is somewhere on a spectrum.
A person's sexual identity is somewhere on another spectrum.
These spectrums do not match one-to-one; in fact, they don't predict each other at all.

You can believe people are "in denial" all you like, but there are plenty of crossdressers out there who really are NOT attracted to others of the same physical sex as themselves.

And this discussion should stop now, because Cosplay.Com is about cosplaying, not sexual identity or orientation. This FAQ was created for the purposes of providing comprehensive information and clearing up misconceptions, not to be a springboard for the discussion of crossdressing (as independent from theatrical costuming) or homosexuality.

Saaski_Moql
08-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Karisu-sama? If you do not mind, what is your opinion on Goo's question? *is curious* I didn't do too good a job and you know seem to know a lot about the controversy opinions...

Karisu-sama
08-25-2004, 02:44 AM
Karisu-sama? If you do not mind, what is your opinion on Goo's question? *is curious* I didn't do too good a job and you know seem to know a lot about the controversy opinions...
OK, I'll have to go back and look at the question....

Karisu-sama
08-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Okay, here's a question to you all:

If a transitioning transsexual cosplays someone who is the opposite of their current physical sex, is that crossplay? Here's an added layer: that character is a crossdresser himself.
Define "current physical sex" for a transitioning transsexual!! As you mention, said person is in transition from one physical sex to the other, and may even at some point have physical characteristics of both sexes during the transition. As far as I know, the proper etiquette is to treat such a person as being of the physical sex they self-define as and shall have when the transition is complete (unless they prefer to be treated as the former until then, of course. It's their choice.)

That makes: FtM in transition = effectively M, so it would be crossplay to cosplay as a female character.

As I mentioned above, the fact that a character may be a crossdresser is immaterial. Kamatari and Nuriko are physically male, though they dress and act as women. Therefore, a girl cosplaying Nuriko is still "crossplaying". (One could however, put up a very convincing argument for both of those particular characters as would-be transsexuals who live in societies where a physical transition is not possible.)

You know, when you come right down to it, it's all just COSPLAY anyway. It would be nice to not have to differentiate. I am female; I cosplay females, I cosplay males, it's all good.

aguynamedgoo
08-25-2004, 05:50 AM
Define "current physical sex" for a transitioning transsexual!! As you mention, said person is in transition from one physical sex to the other, and may even at some point have physical characteristics of both sexes during the transition. As far as I know, the proper etiquette is to treat such a person as being of the physical sex they self-define as and shall have when the transition is complete (unless they prefer to be treated as the former until then, of course. It's their choice.) [...].

Thanks a lot for that. I actually got into a little discussion that turned into a little arguement before I just said "look, it's a costume I would have worn no matter what my sex and gender was so let's give it a rest". But to clearify, the transition period is an "evaluation" period (usually of about a year) in which the transsexual recieves therapy, but no hormones or surgery just yet. They are required to dress and act like the sex they ultimate wish to become, with the goal being to pass as much as you are capable of. So physically at the moment I am still all female, but I have to employ several techniques to pass as male (including binding, body language, minimizing hips, and sometimes on the phone I have to train my voice). My friends who know about this see a perfect opportunity to get good crossplay advice, hence I was willing to admit to this and share it with the crossplay forums here. (Anime fans are great in that they seem a lot more tolerant of it and me than people in the "real world" are.)

But thanks for your opinion. It was basically my stance on it: dressing and acting like a man in my day to day life is nothing different for me, so doing it for a costume doesn't really seem like crossplay to me. And if you look below at my signature, I do eventually plan to cosplay a crossdressing male that is one of the characters that people can make a convincing arguement is transsexual.

Karisu-sama
08-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Could be because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I have a number of friends who are transsexual, several whom I've known since they were pre-op. So, when a friend makes that tough decision to stop being a guy and become a girl or vice versa, I just need to create a new mental niche for a person whom I know but am also getting to know all over again.

CienDragon
04-16-2005, 12:15 AM
(edit: never mind, was misunderstood anyway)

Shania_Nowhere
04-16-2005, 08:25 AM
CienDragon: When I went to Kunicon in Miami Beach, I saw cosplayers from more than anime or manga. I saw a Blade and a Neo walking around together so I don't believe cosplay pertains to just the Japanese world. I think the term will most likely only be used by those who are interested in anime, but that doesn't mean they won't "cosplay" non-anime characters now and then. ^_^ It's like the term "otaku" it literally means "fan" but only those into Japanese art would refer to themselves as such, because it's a term you learn through it. It's an anime fan thing, we have different words for things. ~_^

But back on the topic: crossplay-dressing as the opposite sex. (Ex. man dresses as woman, woman dresses as man.) there, short and simple. I crossplay as Duo Maxwell, a male character. I prefer crossplay cause it presents a challenge to me to not look overly girly, heh. ^_^

CienDragon
04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
CienDragon: When I went to Kunicon in Miami Beach, I saw cosplayers from more than anime or manga. I saw a Blade and a Neo walking around together so I don't believe cosplay pertains to just the Japanese world. I think the term will most likely only be used by those who are interested in anime, but that doesn't mean they won't "cosplay" non-anime characters now and then.

That's what I meant though :) I mean the term is more prevelent in the anime/gaming/etc. costume community. I'm not saying that people don't dress up in non-anime costumes, just that if they do that primarily then a lot of them refer to themselves as costumers instead of cosplayers. It's the terminology I was disagreeing with...not whether or not people do it. I merely meant to expand the term costumer, to include those who costume non-anime characters since that is what many of them refer to themselves as.

FishnetBob
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi Belmont...did you have to use that wor "NEUTER"....OUCH ! I love to cross play, because it is so much fun, and besides.......I just LOVE to get people talking and guessing....LMCLAO I have been married for 30 years, but when Halloween comes around (Or other times not mentioning) I try to be Fem..from a Pregnant woman, to Britney "SPORES", to a French Maid, or "BALLET" Parking....LOL Lets all have fun and enjoy life. It is much tooo short to worry about what other think. It is us and our own feelings we have to deal with..not the Narrow Minded ones.

En Pointe and Loving it, Fishnet Bob

LollipopMeems
05-23-2005, 07:26 AM
the term only exists in the anime/gaming/etc. costume community.

The first time I heard about cosplay was when I stumbled upon a Star Wars cosplay forum. I can't remember much about it, but I'm fairly sure I heard the term 'cosplay' there, as the term was familiar to me before I became interested in anime cosplaying.

Karisu-sama
05-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Since I only recently became very interested in Anime(and consequently cosplay), but previously made and wore non-Anime costumes(Sci Fi, Fantasy, etc) I would disagree slightly with your definitions...

In my experience, cosplay refers specifically to Anime, Manga, Video Game, and Japanese culture(J-rock, J-pop, etc) costumes. I never heard the term before joining my university's anime club and attending my first anime-only convention. Costumer can also refer to someone who wears a non-Cosplay(as previously defined) costume. Just a thought from my limited experience.
Then yes, your experience is indeed limited.

I know Star Wars cosplayers, Harry Potter cosplayers, Lord of the Rings cosplayers, Matrix cosplayers, etc..., and yes a whole lot of them call themselves "Star Wars cosplayers", etc. It's often the "older generations" and those who are not very familiar with Japanese-source-influenced background who use the term "costumer" for both the maker and the wearer, because that's what people used in the West before the term "cosplay" existed and was imported from Japan. (And I mean the term "cosplay", not cosplaying itself. I myself have been attending cons and wearing Anime-based costumes at cons since before the term "cosplay" existed.)

In Japan, anyone wearing a costume from any non-Anime-etc. source (ie: Star Wars, Harry Potter, et al) is called a "cosplayer". The word "cosplay" comes from Japan (coined by Nov Takahashi in '84), but it is not exclusive to the wearing of Anime-etc. costumes.

CienDragon
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
(message deleted to avoid continuing off-topic tangent)

(Edited again: since I can't completely erase this discussion and my words are in other's quotes, I probably should clarify)

I wanted to expand the definition of costumer more than limit the definition of cosplay. Even though I'm hardly the "older generations", I still hear/read costumer widely used to refer to the wearer as well as the maker.

Juci
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
well I crossplayed a Transformer in which rumors had it that he is gay or a female in disguised. :shock: So that makes me a mix of things doesn't it.

karlonne
01-18-2006, 06:20 AM
ive been crossplaying for almost 2 years now i havent had any problems in it

but my most crossplay costume as a guys is the

DANCER of RAGNAROK online

Neko-Ryu_Lander
04-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Ok so then as a Deity potraying a Dragon potraying a Cat potraying a human who is male who crossdresses who likes women then i am..... confused?
Ok yall i think we got the terms but lets not make this complicated.
If a male is cosplaying a crossdresser then its normal cosplay
If a transgender is cosplaying a crossdresser then i think the cosplayer can do an accurate way of potraying the character
If the pond in Ranma was real i want a plane ticket.
So what have we learned
Never judge thats up to the Deitys of the relm to do for they are not human and genderless and only they can slap their hands on their heads and go "damn use the KISS method people."
now i have seen where Crossplay is a way us using a cross for non-religious purposes so then there is proof that the defintion of a word can be different from person to person.
Larper: (noun) someone who plays larp
Actor: (noun) someone who professionaly becomes someone else for the purposes of entertainment.
So if i was Lum to do it accurately i would be an Acting Cosplayer who is Crossdressing as an female anime character which is crossplay with acting
But lets face it if i actually did a Lum costume and pulled it off to where people thought i was a girl cosplaying as Lum i would also tack on the term
CameraWhore: (noun) someone who does ANYTHING for someone that asks "can i take your picture"
now my brain hurts ill go back to sleep now....*curls up in a ball and goes to sleep*

Ephemerality
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I got a question though, I'm doing Vash the Stampede, but in a more female version, would that still be considered Crossplay? I always wondered this o.O

Putrocca
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
The trend of doing "Femme" versions of male characters has become quite popular recently - this does not mean a woman wearing the standard costume of the male character, but a woman wearing an altered costume which is more feminine. I've seen several Femme Vash outfits which have a miniskirt/dress version of his coat. Similarly for Femme Alucard. It's been made extra popular by Naruto cosplay, because people started to cosplay "Sexy no Jutsu" naruto, IE. naruto in female form, and then started making up "Sexy no Jutsu" versions of other characters, adapting their normal outfits into female versions (usually with bikini tops, pigtails and miniskirts) based on the Naruto original. It's an interesting question whether or not this is crossplay, since it's a woman dressing as a female version of a male character.

siead_lietrathu
08-18-2006, 09:48 AM
In the past, some people are confused as to what the differences are between a transexual, transvestite and a crossplayer.

I hope these definitions would also help clear up some confusions.

Here are the definitions as defined by Psychologists:

Herotosexual-"Straight" or one who prefers the opposite gender.

Homosexual-"Gay", "Lesbian" or one who prefers the same gender.

Bisexual-One who prefers both sexes.

Transvestite-One who wears clothes of the opposite gender as a fetish.

Hermaphrodites-Who has the same physical characteristics (Including genitals) of both male and female. Hermaphrodites and Transexuals are often lumped into the same category.

Note: Psychologists do not have crossplay or cosplay in their official vocabulary.

Just wanted to add one to this

Bi-Gender: a person who considers themselves to be both male and female mentally, despite body type. (AKA: two-spirit)

TrombonePrincess
09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I have a question that's been bugging me for a while...what if you don't prefer either sex at all? What if you are simply unattracted? Is there even a word for that? Probably, Platonic, but I'm not sure...:/

natsukoarts
09-17-2006, 05:49 PM
trombone, i could be wrong but wouldn't it be...
asexual or nonsexual, platonic would be related to the "type of interaction you have with other people.."

where asexual, non-sexual would relate to your affiliation or lack of affiliation with a specific sexual identity, kind of like homosexual or heterosexual. (who you like)

but as related to crossplay, it sounda like you are talking more about a gender identity, either male or female, and not identifying with either one, so then it would be "androgenous" or androgyn which would be not identifying with the male or the female "gender" but with both or neither at the same time...

i dont know, i could be full of crap...

CapsuleCorp
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
There is also the term "gender-fluid" or "gender-queer" for those who don't really identify with either gender. Not transexual because they don't want to change their gender into the one opposite of what they were born with, but just somewhere in the middle, not identifying with either. I like it, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between gender fluid and androgynous. Unless the latter term has become archaic or is not one used among social scientists.

...those pesky scientists, you know. :)

Lisu-chan
09-18-2006, 03:36 AM
I CAN feel attracted to both genders, and more, so you could say I'm pan-sexual... except you can scrap the sexual part... I don't like anything that has to go with sex, not when I'm involved with it, not now, not ever. That's a strange and harsh combo! I meant BTW attracted by, I want to be with someone, hug them at most, but NOTHING more... Yeah I'm weird... maybe ONE day I'll turn good..

Anyway I crossplay because I love the characters so much, and why stop because he's a he... We've got tape for that!

TrombonePrincess
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah there are so many different terms for everything now, it can get confusing, lol. Thanks for your replies! Yeah I like being friends with everybody and I am a girly-girl, really, but I don't mind crossplaying because I like the characters. I just have a hard time when people start hitting on me and they can't take a hint. If I'm attracted to someone back, I let them know right away. ^_^;;

Hooray for tape!! ^_~

CAI543
09-28-2006, 01:41 PM
thanks for clearing this up.Now I know the difference.>//<

Eda
10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Hm... I'm still a little bit confuse about "Crossdressing". But I think I'm nearly understand it.

Most of cosplayers in Thailand are Crossplayer (girl cosplay as male character is more than guy's) and I have know many guys who crossplay like Maid or Lolita. I never think that they are gay or have a metal illness. They cosplay because they like the way that characters look (My friend who is a guy said that he loves Lolicon so he likes to cosplay with cute costume).

Persephone Kend
12-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, I saw that about "crossplay" and I checked it out, the very first post explaining this has the enough information and I understood.
Actually I'm thinking about doing a "crossplay" because the costume will be of a male character.

Rain Miko
12-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I like it, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between gender fluid and androgynous. Unless the latter term has become archaic or is not one used among social scientists.

...those pesky scientists, you know. :)

I believe (don't quote me on this) that being androgynous has more to do with how you look physically, and being gender-fluid is more of a mental thing (but can become physical).

Aquarian
01-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Is their a name for a person who cosplays an alternate version of a character? For example, if a female cosplays as female version of a male character? Everything seems to have nicknames nowadays so this must have one as well.

Caytin
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Is their a name for a person who cosplays an alternate version of a character? For example, if a female cosplays as female version of a male character? Everything seems to have nicknames nowadays so this must have one as well.

I don't think an "official" name has come up for that yet. I have only seen one cosplayer that has done what you are talking about... Can't think of her name off the top of my head. She goes to the Texas cons, and did a Lolita-style female Gir, and a female Ichigo (sp?) from Bleach. If you can find out who she is, maybe she has a name for it. Personally its just customizing to me. Hehe.

Caytin
01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
I believe (don't quote me on this) that being androgynous has more to do with how you look physically, and being gender-fluid is more of a mental thing (but can become physical).

You're right about androgynous. Being androgynous means you can look male or female without trying. Sadly, I'm in that cateogory. If I'm wearing jeans and a baggy t-shirt, I get called male. If I'm wearing form fitting clothing or a dress, I'm female. Gender-fluid... that's a term I haven't heard before, so I can't really comment on that one.

N.O.I
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Yo everyone! I was flipping through the forums and saw this headline, and I felt like I ought to give my suggestion: Crossplaying is uber fun. I suppose you could take the given definition listed at the top, but sometimes its just fun to say that you're dressing up as a guy, who dresses up as a girl. Ha, ha, funny innit? Anyways, my best advice to people new to this who either have or have multiple, and or haven't chosen a particular character is that when you're crossplaying, its a fairly good idea to go with a character that your body type works best with. And comfortability since many male characters have open fronts. Anyways, best of luck to you future and present crossplaying people! Confusion is the name of this game, and damn but it is so much fun!

fortral
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
well I crossplayed a Transformer in which rumors had it that he is gay or a female in disguised. :shock: So that makes me a mix of things doesn't it.

Its important to be sure, isnt it? LOL

Asami_AKA_Ants
06-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but I thought I should point out:

It's Heterosexual.

Again, sorry if I come off as rude, but the rest of it was perfect so I figured it should be corrected. ;)

moonfall
08-21-2007, 12:43 AM
The most common term I've seen (at least around here) for female versions of male characters is "femme (character name)". I've seen costumes like femme Kakashi or femme Mario and Luigi (in overall ballgowns).

I'm actually not sure about the use of your guy-as-Utena example. Utena wears a boy's uniform, so if a guy dresses as Utena, it's still crossplay, but would it really be crossdressing?

Is it still considered crossplay if a female cosplays a bishounen character who could pass for female?

Kamineko_ii
11-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Hmm, I was wondering if there was a word for that. *writes down*

What's the inverse of it? :P

What would you call a male interpretation of Paine (http://search.deviantart.com/?section=browse&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&q=male+paine), for example?

Mangochutney
11-21-2007, 06:14 AM
A "male Paine", generally. Male is a short, handy word. I've also seen Man- used, as in Man-Faye and Man-Fran.

colin_shinigami
11-25-2007, 12:49 AM
i don't think iwould ever crossplay, but mana is a possibility(not the girly lolita mana though)

shadowfox3113
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks! I really love some male characters and wanted to crossplay them but I was afraid others might think I was a lesbian or something (no offense to anyone out there)

iaShakezula
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I always crossplay because my favorite anime , VG and manga characters are all guys.
Like Col Mustang,Gintoki,Ukitake Taicho,Suoji of Shinsengumi,Iruka Sensei,Sephiroth,Kanda,Zero of VK,Inuyasha,Gwendal,...So when I cosplay for these characters I basically act out their silly side or their bad a** side which is a lot of fun...I get Glomped at lot .Fooling someone to think I am a guy is challenge to me.I dont care what people thinks, who cares as long I am having fun.....And I am 100 % straight besides the guys outfit is a lot comfortable to wear.

It is also a lot of fun seeing guys dressed as Sailor Moon or a feminine looking male character as long as they look good.

Wren
01-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Hmm, it just me or do more women crossplay then men? Is it because they like make characters better? Or do they feel limited by the type of female characters out there? Or is it more appropriate from women to cosplay as the more gender neutral male characters out there?

Thoughts?

Maylani984
02-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Male characters aren't gender neutral, but there's less stigma attached to females crossplaying as opposed to males. I also think females have an easier time relating enough to want to cosplay characters no matter the gender. While males are more likely to get hung up on the gender, and what it might 'appear' as, to portray a female.

Schuldig_
02-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Hmm, it just me or do more women crossplay then men? Is it because they like make characters better? Or do they feel limited by the type of female characters out there? Or is it more appropriate from women to cosplay as the more gender neutral male characters out there?

Thoughts?

For me, it's because many - not all, but many - female characters tend to get limited to the "squealy schoogirl" type - you know, the ones that faint after a smack to the face and always twist their ankle at the worst time. The guys tend to be a bit... cooler. Which is of course a shame, but that's the way I feel.

MicWits
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
My mom asked me "Why not cosplay girls?". I cosplay Naruto because I like the character. Mostly every Halloween, I dressed up in men costumes. I don't really wear skirts and dresses

SirMiYavI21
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
dont know if I can crossplay I would have to have like alot of girls help me coz I cant even put on my own eye liner with out tearing up to much and then given up

Iridescent_Fall
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Thoughts?

For me, most of my planned cosplays have been male or will be. Part of the reason is that a large majority of female characters in anime are not dressed modestly. I'm sorry, but when I go out in public, I don't want my breasts hanging out while I'm wearing the shortest of shorts (see Yoko from Gurren Lagann). I just don't want that kind of attention.
Also, for some reason I just relate better with male characters. But of course there are exceptions, like Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club and Medusa from Soul Eater.

StrongJaeger
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Thoughts?

It's because of the social stigma that men are men. Women's rights have come a long way, but men are still expected to be men. I'm sure if there are any on here they will disagree with me, but lesbians are far more socially accepted than gay men. I've seen this personally in my life a lot. Not blaming lesbians, it's the rest of society that has the double standard.

I know plenty of gay men who would love to crossplay, but are afraid of "being outed" or persecution. Like wise I know several female crossplayers who have never given a second thought to how people would react. So thats just my thoughts on it.

RadRage
08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
If I "crossplayed" as Pegasus...is that really crossplaying if he looks like a girl anyway? o.o

Sisshi
08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
If I "crossplayed" as Pegasus...is that really crossplaying if he looks like a girl anyway? o.o

If it's the gender opposite of yours, then yes, it's crossplay, no matter how femmy he may look.

Nekovamp13
08-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Thoughts?

I think it's because when people see girls in pants and a loose top, they just think that they want to wear loose clothing, and no one can tell if they might be lesbians or not. But when seeing a guy in a tight, girlish top and possiblly a skirt, then people will say that they are gay, even if they're not.

Plus males do have a harder time looking like girls. It is possiblly more expensive and painful (and not talking about surgery...). Do I know this for a fact, no. And also the fact that men are subposed to be stronge and stuff, and when they show a female feature (crying, looking like a girl, etc.) they are thought to be weak and possiblly gay.

It will take society a while before they can accept the fact that sometimes it's fun to act like the oppisite sex, and dress up like your fav character. It can even give an insite to what the other sex goes through.

Ranma 1-2
08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Q. What is meant by the term 'trap', and who does it apply to?

I have scanned through this thread and so far the word does not seem to have come up. I think it is a crossplay related word which needs some defining.

I don't understand this term, but it sounds bad.. especially when I see people at Expo's pointing fingers and chanting "Trap,Trap,Trap,Trap," at a guy who is crossplaying. I mean, how humiliating (and intimidating) must that feel !

Does trap apply simply to any M2F crossplay - and if so why are just the guys picked on? If the crossplay is convincing isn't that a good thing? ..I mean, everyone moans about a certain 'Faye' crossplayer because he doesn't try to be convincing at all..
:confused:

So whats the answer??

Crimson_art
10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Hoorah for clearing that up, I now know I was A crossplayer when I dressed as a male who was dressed as a female. I got really scrambled up in the explanation while telling friends about the costume. x.x

The way I look at it:
- There is your anatomy (man, woman)
- There is who you feel you are (male, female)
- There is who you want to be with in a relashionship (gay straight, bi...)
- There is how you want to look (masculine, femenine, androgynous...)
And regardless of what society expects those four things are NOT necesarily related to one another.
Seeyou Dani
[Yes i know it's off topic....but It has to be said!]
Actually to be more scientifically correct there is:
-Sex: Which your genes choose for you. Primarily there is XX & XY. But some people have an extra chromosome so they may be XXY or XYX, which to the best of my knowledge can create people with both reproductive organs.

-Gender: Which sex you most associate yourself with. In the US we mainly have 2 genders: Male & Female. But there are people who are 'genderless' and in other contries & in the past there are also 3rd & 4th genders... such as males who's genitalia have been removed so as they may work as a servant of god or males who were used in the past as 'trainer wives' for men at war so that they may have sex and prepare for a female wife.

-Sexuality: The type of person that you are sexually attracted to. There is:
*Heterosexual (which as others have said ISN'T dependant on the persons Sex but their gender) being sexually attracted to
*Homosexual (again, dependant upon the persons gender identity) Being attracted to someone of the same gender.
* Asexual feeling no sexual attraction to others (poorly worded)
Bisexual: Being attracted to both males and females
And many others: such as straight men who enjoy having sex with other men but are not sexually attracted to men. People who don't care what your sexual orientation or gender identity they are attracted to you for you. ETC and so on.

shonen_jidai
10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Q. What is meant by the term 'trap', and who does it apply to?

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere here. In my observation, the term is used most commonly to refer to a MtF cosplayer who passes well enough to be mistaken for an attractive female. As for the term "trap" itself, its origin seems to be Admiral Ackbar's exclamation, "It's a trap!" during the rebel attack on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. In some circles, being referred to as a trap is something of a compliment.

Over the few years, the use of the term seems to have become a more general term referring to MtF cosplayers regardless of how well they pass as long as the attempt is made. Of course this is just my personal observation.

Ranma 1-2
10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Ah, thanks for your explanation Shonen Jidai. Yeah I think I'm more relaxed about this now. ^^)

Soulkokoro
11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere here. In my observation, the term is used most commonly to refer to a MtF cosplayer who passes well enough to be mistaken for an attractive female. As for the term "trap" itself, its origin seems to be Admiral Ackbar's exclamation, "It's a trap!" during the rebel attack on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. In some circles, being referred to as a trap is something of a compliment.

Over the few years, the use of the term seems to have become a more general term referring to MtF cosplayers regardless of how well they pass as long as the attempt is made. Of course this is just my personal observation.

There isn't just something called a "Trap" there is also something called a "Reverse Trap"

A trap is a male character that crossdresses (sp?). Ex: Jun from Happiness!
A reverse trap is a female character that crossdresses. Ex: Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club

Jessie.
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I know this isnt related, but theres this guy on youtube called ProudToBeBornAsAsain and hes really recists towards cosplayers that are NON asain. Hes been on this site and hes has taken what you all posted here and twisted it around to make it sound like we are bad. Go watch his videos. You may be heartbroken about what hes saying about Non Asians. He believes that you have to LOOK like the character to be a good cosplayer. He claims to be from China which he isnt. Sorry but Im just informing everyone on here about him trying to stop us from cosplay. Watch his videos.

Honey Vanity
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't understand this term, but it sounds bad.. especially when I see people at Expo's pointing fingers and chanting "Trap,Trap,Trap,Trap," at a guy who is crossplaying. I mean, how humiliating (and intimidating) must that feel !

That's seriously happened? I've hung around with a crossplayer that calls himself "Bunny boy" and have never heard of something so humiliating ><.

Ranma 1-2
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I saw it on a vid clip from an Expo somewhere. Maybe it was just his friends having a laugh by outing him... Having been to a few Expo's myself now, I must say I haven't come across anything like this. In fact the cosplayers I meet are all very nice people. :)

kokoroVOICE
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Thoughts?

Well, given that many women (younger aged girls in particular) are tomboyish or don't like to wear dresses as much, it doesn't really seem surprising to me. A lot of my anime-obsessed friends don't like wearing dresses (as they are cumbersome to move around in ^^) and, as Iridescent_Fall pointed out, some female costumes are just... inappropriate (damn those pervy animators!). For me, I want to crossplay because its cool and I like the characters sooo much <3

not that normal cosplay isn't cool too :)

fujyoshi
07-21-2009, 05:58 AM
oh cool I wish I had seen this topic before. It gives great insight to the whole "crossplay" deal. Me personally I have nothing against it but I know my parents and family definitely aren't "for it" so to say. They're on my case so bad that they think I look like a guy if I'm not even cosplaying D: My parents are also really religious so they assume that if you "crossplay" that your probably gay or wanting a sex change o_O because I don't do double standards the last thing I assume of crossplayers weather they'd be a guy or a girl is them being gay because I know that I'm not gay and its not even about that most 'a the time.

Ranma 1-2
07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
My parents are also really religious so they assume that if you "crossplay" that your probably gay or wanting a sex change o_O
Your parents would be wrong on both counts for me too. It's why people should not make such assumptions.. ^_^
Cosplay is more like performance imo. People are 'playing' at being a character. End of the con the makeup, wig, costume, all comes off and we go home. We don't live like this. Well some do because there are cosplayers who happen to be transgendered (strictly speaking they are not really crossplaying). But you can't know a person unless you know the person.
Cross-dressing performance has been part of theatrical tradition for years - Peter Pan is still usually played by a girl, and Cinderella's ugly sisters are played by men. But it's nice that crossplay allows guys to try out the pretty female characters too. ^^

baby_blue_789
08-01-2009, 02:03 AM
wow! now i totally know what to call myself!! LOL! i actually do it for alot of reasons one cuz i love the character and i just want to cosplay! and the second is i find it funny/ in a weird way challenging pulling it off! =)

Ace_of_Tarot
01-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Hmmm, I have another reason to crossplay for girls; You don't like wearing skirts or uncomfortable cutsie outfits. Guys' outfits tend to be much more comfortable than a mini skirt-just take manga/anime style gym uniforms for example, the guys get shorts while girls have things that are basically blue underwear.

standing
07-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Thank you for your share.

Neine
09-26-2010, 01:02 AM
I CAN feel attracted to both genders, and more, so you could say I'm pan-sexual... except you can scrap the sexual part... I don't like anything that has to go with sex, not when I'm involved with it, not now, not ever. That's a strange and harsh combo! I meant BTW attracted by, I want to be with someone, hug them at most, but NOTHING more... Yeah I'm weird... maybe ONE day I'll turn good..

Anyway I crossplay because I love the characters so much, and why stop because he's a he... We've got tape for that!

Yeah, don't worry so much 'bout that. I'm inthe same boat there. And I'm sure as h**l not changing. :)

Kktodd
05-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks!!!

Miruku-no-Aisu
04-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Personally, I always think that if people tell me that crossplaying affects my gender (which nobody have ever done before >w<), I would tell them that I love the character, the character has the opposite sex, therefore I'm completely straight. Mentally and physically ^^
(and I'm a girl btw)

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 01:31 AM
I am a transgender MtF and cosplay is the only way I feel safe in society at the moment. Without it I would go insane. I learned at my first con this year people didn't treat me differently like they do in society. I was like everyone else a part of a big family and it felt really weird. I am not use to that. In fact I had comments about my alice cosume which kinda scared me lol I was not expecting that one bit. I came from a family of heavy abuse so I am not use to people being nice at all actually.

Blood_Sword
10-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I am a transgender MtF and cosplay is the only way I feel safe in society at the moment. Without it I would go insane. I learned at my first con this year people didn't treat me differently like they do in society. I was like everyone else a part of a big family and it felt really weird. I am not use to that. In fact I had comments about my alice cosume which kinda scared me lol I was not expecting that one bit. I came from a family of heavy abuse so I am not use to people being nice at all actually.
I can relate to you. I'm transgender too, although the other way around. Ever since I finally came to terms with who I really am I've felt the most at home at cons. I've never had anyone be mean or judge me because I'm transgender at least what I know of. Heck, I've even had some people admire me for being honest to myself and open about it at cons. My best friends are people I've met at conventions. In everyday society I keep my distance and do my best to avoid people but in cons I feel most people are very open-minded and at the same wavelength, most are at least.

By the way, if you haven't checked this thread already you should do so, you will find that you're not the only one here! http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=220999

Also, if you are transgender you aren't really crossplaying if you cosplay as a girl.. at least not in my opinion because you identify as a woman and therefore you are one. But well, that's up to how one wants to define themselves and I can't speak for you or anyone else but I don't consider myself crossplaying when I cosplay male characters. (at least not since I started being honest to myself)

Oh, and if you wish to talk to me more feel free to send a PM~

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Ya I dont call it crossplay either I just didn't know where to talk to people I am still in a very critical stage in my life as I revert back to female for the second time.

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 02:01 AM
i was very honest about the whole thing im not afraid of what I am im afraid of what people will do. My brother was beat t o a pulp 4 years ago near wellsley station just for carrying his rainbow flag. Thats not right but it happens and he worries ill be smashed in too. No place is safe no matter what there will always be bad people in the world but I cant live my life hiding in a shell either.

Blood_Sword
10-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Ya I dont call it crossplay either I just didn't know where to talk to people I am still in a very critical stage in my life as I revert back to female for the second time.
Ah, yeah true. In the crossplay board there is most information that could be useful so yeah, I know what you're trying to say.
Oh, I see. I hope you the best of luck, be strong!

Blood_Sword
10-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Sorry I didn't see your second post!

i was very honest about the whole thing im not afraid of what I am im afraid of what people will do. My brother was beat t o a pulp 4 years ago near wellsley station just for carrying his rainbow flag. Thats not right but it happens and he worries ill be smashed in too. No place is safe no matter what there will always be bad people in the world but I cant live my life hiding in a shell either.
Oh that's horrible! I hate how LGBTAQ (and what other letters there are, can't remember them all sorry!) people seem to get so much hate from some people in the society. It makes no sense, we all are humans and should accept each other..

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
he only told me that today too when I was supposed to go out to my first ever steampunk toronto meet. He is really scared when I go anywhere and I end up going out in non conventional clothing ie male because of it and I dont feel happy like that but what can I do? I cant drive i have epilipsey im an insurance risk. i also have a panic disorder which comes from abuse which was inevitible. I am amazed I didn't panic at an actually I felt good there despite the fact I cant walk or stand well right now due to a recent siesure which caused a sciatica in my back prolly from how violent seisures get so im really in bad shape right now but I am determined to keep at it regardless.

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
I will post a picturee if i can figure out how lol

Blood_Sword
10-01-2012, 02:34 AM
he only told me that today too when I was supposed to go out to my first ever steampunk toronto meet. He is really scared when I go anywhere and I end up going out in non conventional clothing ie male because of it and I dont feel happy like that but what can I do? I cant drive i have epilipsey im an insurance risk. i also have a panic disorder which comes from abuse which was inevitible. I am amazed I didn't panic at an actually I felt good there despite the fact I cant walk or stand well right now due to a recent siesure which caused a sciatica in my back prolly from how violent seisures get so im really in bad shape right now but I am determined to keep at it regardless.
Wow.. I really hope you get better soon!

Ugh. It sucks to have to pretend to be someone you are not just so you won't get treated badly.. so unfair...

Alice MacLeod
10-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Grandads army motto was fear naught. I am trying lol how fdo i do this picture thing im rather confused

VickyAmis
12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
"CROSSPLAY" is merely a subset of "cosplay". And I think it can be interpreted as cross-gender cosplay.

JasonTerror
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Whiteout edit:
Welp....never mind my post lol

KratosAurion28
01-17-2013, 05:31 AM
I know how you feel! Im a transgender myself as well, but the other way around. Cons are the place where I feel that I can be who I am and want to be, without being judged for something that I am not. Like many do outside cons, at least I feel its like that. Im so glad that many people at cons are really open to HBT persons (I know several who is themselves) even if there is always gonna be haters, but just ignore them. By the way, my closest friends are congoers as well (or I met them at cons for the first time) so I really love how nice and warm people are at cons. I was surprised myself after seeing how happy and open minded many of these people are! I started to open up my real self at cons thanks to the wonderful friends Ive gotten.

I hope you get treated the way you want at cons and enjoy yourself in cosplay (yes, I see it as cosplay if youre mentally the gender that youre cosplaying, I view it that way. I dont see myself crossplaying when I pull off guys since Im a FtM).

If you have further questions or just want to chat with someone, need help or just want share your thoughts about something, throw me a PM and Ill be there.

Take care and be safe! :angel:

Chryso
04-24-2013, 11:24 PM
I just read this entire thread. The first post was made in 2003 - which didn't seem like that long ago until I realised that it is actually ten years. It is amazing and wonderful to see how the concepts of gender and sexual preference have evolved and become more widely accepted. I'm proud of how society, although it has very (very) far to go, has become more open and accepting. There was lack of knowledge simply because it was taboo to talk about. Even "genderbend" seems to be a very new term based on the (lack of) definitions in this thread. Ten years ago any sexual preference that was not hetero and any gender identity that did not match the physical anatomy was so much more taboo than it is now. Society is still very cruel, but when I think about ten years ago, there is hope. :)

builder396
07-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Well, this kind of process just takes a lot of time. Some people simply fear what they dont understand, I once met a rather extreme person on the internet in that regard, although it had little to do with sexual orientation or transgender.
Anyway, in that case the only way is to expose them to it in small doses and have them see that its nothing actually wrong with it.
But the best way to see how such topics are still perceived is to watch TV. Ive seen a few snippets out of scripted reality shows (I dont actually watch them at all) where they had gay people, except that they were the worst stereotype imaginable. Why? Because the producer wanted it that way and the gay person was threatened with a nonexistent penalty for contract breach.

By the way, not too long ago a friend told me about a documentary about cosplay he saw on TV. I didnt see it myself, but from what he told me they made cosplay look as if it was almost entirely guys dressing up as girls out of some sexual fetish, just trying to reinforce the bad stereotype.
So even cosplay is still not really that accepted by some people.