PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Hatter's Green Dress - What fabric?

JiseiHakushaku
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I hope I put this in the right place. T___T

I'm planning to make Sophie Hatter's green dress from Howl's Moving Castle. But I was curious as to what fabric you would recommend for it. My mom thinks fleece, but I KNOW that that's not right. :sulk:

What do you suggest?

Kitsoru
09-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I hope I put this in the right place. T___T

I'm planning to make Sophie Hatter's green dress from Howl's Moving Castle. But I was curious as to what fabric you would recommend for it. My mom thinks fleece, but I KNOW that that's not right. :sulk:

What do you suggest?

O__o Fleece? wtf?

Nah, I'd go with a nice, soft cotton jersey maybe?

JadeKat
09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I think I'd go with a cotton too (or cotton-polyester, if you must). Simple, like Sophie. ^_^

Mehdia
09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm with the others when they say cotton. That would be a type of fabric suited to the style of dress and her class really.

Leradny
09-08-2009, 12:31 AM
A cotton crepe would work well if you want a little bit of texture, and if you want a smoother look cotton poplin would work as well.

The Hag
09-08-2009, 06:29 AM
I agree with most of the posters here - a plain weave cotton or cotton-poly blend. Not jersey - jersey is a knit. Also be sure to get a good quality medium weight - i.e. not broadcloth!

Tikki
09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
For a thicker fabric weight that would also be appropriate given the movie's time period/culture is linen. You would get a very nice texture and drape, especially if you go with a nicer linen.
However, don't forget to include a petticoat under that skirt! It'll fill it out nicely.
Tikki