PDA

View Full Version : Mello (Death Note) Scar & Hair Delema

Cosplay_Rose
09-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Reference: http://www.psp-themes.net/data/media/3/Mello%20Death%20Note.jpg

I've already decided that I'm doing that outfit ^ but I can't decide whether or not to do the scar. Since he obviously don't have it in that picture, part of me wants to not do it, but I feel like it won't be complete without it. I've seen Mello cosplayers without the scar, and before I was really into Death Note, I always thought that they were missing something, even in that outfit. I already have the means and materials for making the scar and making it well, as I have done it for a friend as Mello before, as well as making scars for other cosplays of my own.

There's also the matter of his hair. Older / scarred Mello has different hair.
Reference 2: http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/1200/57788-mello4_super.jpg
I've already decided on buying a wig, so what my hair looks like now isn't an issue, and I haven't bought it yet, so that's not either.
(I'm buying it at a local store, so please don't post links to online wig places.)

In addition to all of this, I'm cosplaying with a Matt who is of the opinion that since Matt is around, Mello would theoretically be older and therefore have the scar, since we don't see Matt until after Mello is scarred. Is there anyone that shares this opinion? (If a large majority supports this, I'd do the scar in a heartbeat... Not changing my outfit though. xP Sorry, I've got my heart set on this one.)

I'm being EXTREMELY... Picky. About this cosplay, so I'm looking for any input possible. D=

Also, has no one else noticed that there's crosses on the knees of his pants in the first picture? I have never seen a Mello cosplayer with them. If you have a picture of one, PLEASE post. I'd love to be proved wrong on this.

Thanks in advance!

Cosplay_Rose
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Please help? =[

JiseiHakushaku
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Yay! A Mello cosplayer paying attention to details. Most of the Mello's I've seen were nice, but just went with black shiny skinny jeans instead of the actual leather. And they don't pay attention to these sort of details (hair timeline, scar timeline, Matt and Mello, etc) so it's good to see one who does! *thumbs up* I commend you! XD

Hmm. I would say, personally, go with the scar, and the older hairstyle! Since you're going with a Matt, to any DN fan who really knows the series, this will be a great and authentic bit! Of course, let's hope your Matt will be a heck of a lot better than I was, being a noob to cosplay at that point and all. Lol!

But enough of my senseless rambling. Personally, I'd go with the older wig and the scar, and the outfit you already have picked, which is super cool!

And you're right. I haven't personally or on here, seen any cosplayers with the crosses on the legs that Mello has. But I'd really like too! :| Again, personally, I'd put the crosses on the legs. They look so cool. And again, details, details..~

I haven't done too many cosplays, but I'm working on the whole detail thing and improving my sewing skills myself. :3

I wish you good luck on your Mello costume! =D

And... sorry for rambling. Bad habit. ^^;;;

Cosplay_Rose
09-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks so much for the input! It means a lot to me.

I'm uploading pics of the pants that I have, without and then with the crosses. I wish I had a better fabric for the crosses, but I'm just working with what I could get. It doesn't look too bad, it's just not overly noticeable.

I'm planning on doing the, erm, crotch detailing (*giggles like an immature idiot*) as well. Where it looks like the pants are a different color at the crotch and there's shoe strings or something. I'm so disappointed that I haven't seen a Mello ever do all of this =/ It's not that hard.

My Matt isn't finished actually, but he's been to a few conventions and the fangirl's love him all the same, haha. I have to re-glue some fur onto his vest and get him some proper pants (right now he just has inaccurate jeans). He also needs boots (he's using black high-top Converse now), and THEN there's the matter of the gloves... LOL
Basically we have an epic, well-loved vest, the goggles, and the shirt. And we fill in the blanks with what we have on-hand. I need pics of him though, he's still rather good. D=

Thanks so much again for your input.

And don't worry, I ramble too D=

Cosplay_Rose
09-10-2009, 03:02 AM
I'd like some more opinions on this, if anyone else has anything to say.

Pixie-chan
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
From one Mello cosplayer to another, if you have a Matt, do older Mello.
Definately do the scar and the messy hair style.

Happy Cosplaying!

Cosplay_Rose
09-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the input! =D

I've pretty much decided to do the scar and such. =]

Pixie-chan
09-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh, yay! Good.

Anikastarchaser
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
It's great that you're putting detail into it~ I wish I could do so with my Mello cosplay, but I haven't got the time or money, since I'm focusing on getting my Matt cosplay just right. I totally never noticed the crosses either, and I'm doing younger version Mello for a photoshoot...*dies of embarassment* Go for all the detailing you can! If you can do it, go for it!

Monniemoo
12-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I definitely agree that if you go with Matt, you should do the older Mello. I did the same outfit with the older hairstyle and scar, and I think it worked pretty well. I mean, I figure the guy's gotta wear multiple outfits, and since he wasn't wearing that one during the explosion, I see no reason why he wouldn't still have it.
Unfortunately, I don't have the crosses on the knees, but 1) that's just for that cover art picture and not necessarily for how he actually looks in the progress of the series (there's also a cover/chapter art picture where he's wearing an outfit covered in zippers which he wears nowhere else) and 2) I am a cheap as opposed to picky cosplayer, and pleather pants are dang hard to find cheap (plus, I suck at sewing and am terrified to ruin my pants).

Note on the scar: you can make a pretty realistic one using kraft glue, though you have to make sure it doesn't drip when you apply it/while it dries. You can then color it with blush, though blush doesn't stick to dried kraft glue so I used rubber cement as something to stick the blush to. It really stings at first, but then you get used to it and you can hardly feel it at all, but it sticks to your face quite well. I have a picture in my profile, though unfortunately the one that really shows the scar shows the edges that would normally be covered by my hair.

I'm sorry to be using myself as an example so much- I know I'm by no means the authority on the matter...it's just that this is my favorite cosplay, and I was pretty proud of the scar, though I know the rest is a little inaccurate.

RaeSeddon
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I'll have to agree that if Matt were around, you probably should go with an older Mello, and the fun thing about older Mello is the details, really. The crosses on the legs of the plants can be accomplished with sewn applique, not iron on, especially if you're going to use a vinyl or pleather fabric. Heat is death is vinyl and pleather.

As for the scar, unless you have a latex allergy, I would go to Michael's and get a bottle of liquid latex and other special effects make-up supplies. You can get the perfect texture on the scar using a corrugated sponge, which makes the skin appear rough and marred. Word of caution if you do use latex though-- do not use ordinary make up to add color to the scar, the chemicals will ruin the latex.