PDA

View Full Version : Anime Vegas 2009 Feedback Thread

ScarletRhapsody
09-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Now that Anime Vegas is done and over with, it's time to look back on the good, the bad, and the shenanigans.

What did you like about Anime Vegas? What did you not like?

Post here about your highlights, lowlights, and suggestions what Anime Vegas can do better in 2010.

I'll start.

The Epic
+ Wow...people recognized my Mistress Nine and Scarlet costumes.
+ Really liked the singles masquerade competition. Really happy to see a variety of series represented without too much of the Internet meme.
+ Mopping up the dance floor to "Baccano Swing" during the masquerade ball.
+ Four Queens was a decently priced hotel. Nice to see "classic" Vegas. I can deal with the baby boomer types.
+ Generally, people were very nice. Thanks for asking before you hug.
+ Nice stage set up for concerts and masquerade.
+ Friendly Guests of Honor folks. Nice to talk to voice actors and hear about their stories.
+ Impromtu dollfie gathering.
+ Baccano! gathering at the Venetian (all two of us! lol).
+ Crank up that AC! It didn't feel like it was 90 degree weather.
+ I liked the overall theme-ing of the Phantomhive Ball. The contest and overall atmosphere (ie: dress code) was rather nice.

The Fail
+ Not too impressed with The Deuce (aka The D**che). Took about an hour to get from downtown to the strip.
+ Con shuttle needed to make more stops during the later hours.
+ Two panel rooms meant for less live programming events. I like to have some alternative to masquerade, dances, etc.
+ No maid cafe and no anime music video contest. Aw. I heard that AV's Ichigo Cafe is one of the better maid cafes.
+ We're gonna need a bigger boat.
+ Questionable song choices for the ballroom dance. I understand the need for a classy atmosphere, but "I'll Make a Man Out of You," "Phantom of the Opera," and "Bring Me My Bride" are not tunes that are waltz-able.

The OMGWTFBBQ
+ Was that a cannon that went off at 12:30AM at night by the 4 Queens? Nah, just the 24/7 entertainment.
+ Running into SoCal people I thought that wouldn't show up.
+ Happy to know that people remember Slayers, YuYu, Fushigi Yuugi, etc. Yay for 90s anime!
+ "Yuri For All Ages" Panel.
+ Fun with airsofts - the Scarlet way!

Kago_Sabaku
09-08-2009, 02:03 AM
The Good
Better than the hotel last year
Better dealer selection
Nice people
Fun games
Tons of seats in panel rooms

The Bad
UNRELIABLE WEBSITE!!!!!!
Not everyone asked to take pictures/hug
Would have prefered the side of convention center closer to theater/clubhouse
Didn't like the rudeness of gunshow patrons (Not something within relm of control)
Didn't like a few vendor's unmarked items that were diffrent (escalated) prices the later in the day you asked

The WTF
The cameraman that stopped and interviewed people leaving Steve's panel on Monday (what's that for?)
Randomly bumping into people I disliked from highschool and realizing they're retarded in new ways
Every Tobi had their mask built in a unique way
Being kicked out of masquerade ball because my silk Akatsuki cloak wasn't 'formal' then being let back in because I put my black gloves back on. (Seriously wtf?)

Sasuke-Hime
09-08-2009, 02:48 AM
+ Questionable song choices for the ballroom dance. I understand the need for a classy atmosphere, but "I'll Make a Man Out of You," "Phantom of the Opera," and "Bring Me My Bride" are not tunes that are waltz-able.

I cant stress this more. The music for both dances were poor. The cutting of the beat every five minutes to shout he was the DJ or to switch to some off tempo song really killed it for me, plus the random Disney songs.

Celcia
09-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Where to start?!

Pros:
-Meet some nice congoers and cosplayers
-Hanging out with my friends
-Meeting up with cosplayers I met online
-Vendors that sold sword props like Gunblades!

Cons:
-The panels were pretty lame (but I DID enjoy the Vocaloid panel)
-Some Miku cosplayer attending the Vocaloid panel grabbed and literally DRAGGED me in while I was catching up with a friend who I hadn't seen in a long time. I almost twisted my ankle because of this, could have ripped my gown (or lost a tooth), and my freshly detangled wig was RETANGLED because of this. Geez Louise, people!!! Don't attack someone in a gigantic costume, ESPECIALLY if it has 6 yards of fabric and they're wearing 4in. stilettos! Why didn't anyone stop her?! My ankle still hurts.
-The vendors were pretty lame. It felt like I was looking at the same stuff from every booth and there were no wig shops
-Music for the masquerade ball was pretty bad... I think more jazz or classical would have been more appropriate
-Staff could have been more attentive... there was too much rough-housing going on
-Few good places for photoshoots
-Website doesn't work 3/4 of the time
-Had to park waaaaay up there on the hill because of the gun show. This was very inconvenient because my whole group was in cosplay. Cosplay and heat do not mix

Tenshi
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know not all our staff members read cosplay.com so I'll relay it back.

I'm gonna comment on a few things too:
+ Impromtu dollfie gathering.
Haha, yes, that was a lot of fun :D. Getting to dork out about dolls and Takarazuka at the same time is amazing!

+ I liked the overall theme-ing of the Phantomhive Ball. The contest and overall atmosphere (ie: dress code) was rather nice.
Thank you so much! We're so glad that for the most part people enjoyed our little experiment.

+ Two panel rooms meant for less live programming events. I like to have some alternative to masquerade, dances, etc.
I agree. I'll be bringing this up at our staff meeting, but I felt that there wasn't really a need for the poster gallery to be at the con the ENTIRE weekend. We could have used that space for more panels, or maybe even karaoke. I enjoyed the posters but I think it would have been fine to just have it there one day. I ended up getting kicked out early of my Takarazuka panel for some impromptu thing that wasn't even originally on the schedule, and I was upset that my attendees couldn't see my last clip. If we would have had another panel room I might have been able to finish my presentation :(.

Since the DJ reads the forums here I'm sure he'll take all of your comments under consideration :).

UNRELIABLE WEBSITE!!!!!!
I completely agree. From what I was told, it's the Joomla software that slows the site down terribly. I hope we can have that redone soon.

Would have prefered the side of convention center closer to theater/clubhouse
That side doesn't have meeting rooms, so we would have had no panels or video rooms!

Being kicked out of masquerade ball because my silk Akatsuki cloak wasn't 'formal' then being let back in because I put my black gloves back on. (Seriously wtf?)
I'm going to guess you were let back in because later in the night, when the crowd thinned down a bit, we let everyone in regardless of what they were wearing. Seriously you guys, the rules for attire were not that difficult or complicated. The amount of people throwing fits over the dress code was silly. We will not be so lenient next year, so please read the rules carefully for AV 2010.

-Some Miku cosplayer attending the Vocaloid panel grabbed and literally DRAGGED me...*snip*
Did you tell a staff member? We don't tolerate that sort of crap - especially me. Believe me, I've been tackle-glomped before and it is not pleasant. But we can't be every place at every time, so you have to TELL us if someone does something inappropriate like that. If you would have told me I would have had a VERY long talk with that individual XD.

Lady Saya
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I only went one day so...

Good:
*Cashman Center
*I liked the panels I attended on Monday especial the Steve Blum one. :3
*Got to meet Brad Swaile and Steve Blum!!!
*Everyone's pretty friendly.

Bad:
*Dealer's hall didn't have much of a selection and some of the stuff seemed pretty overpriced (I think one dealer was selling a keychain for $10). :s
*Super slow AV site. :c
*Didn't get to meet Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt (I'm sad they weren't there on Monday).

jinnai
09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
As for people on music selection for both nights...every working DJ worldwide cant please everyone. It's impossible. I don't need to reply back to those comments.

Thank you to whose who did enjoy the dances because I am a lone wolf. No DJ crew, no major label backing me up. No Japanese sponsors. 100% Independent hard working DJ talent.

MY OWN EQUIPMENT. MY OWN SPENT MONEY ON NEW DJ TECH ($2000+). MY TIME. AND I DJED AT ANIME VEGAS 2009 FOR FREE.

Rellian
09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
As for people on music selection for both nights...every working DJ worldwide cant please everyone. It's impossible. I don't need to reply back to those comments.

I would have to agree it is an extremely difficult thing to try and predict people's attitudes and tastes before hand. You can try and put together a show or set that you think will be good and for any one of a hundred reasons, some people just don't agree with your choices. It can be extremely frustrating. I myself have always welcomed constructive criticism because it does help (though it can sting a little too) in evaluating my own situation, but even then it must be taken with a grain of salt. And to be fair.... there really isn't much music written these days outside of Broadway or academia that is what I would call waltz-able.

jinnai
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I would have to agree it is an extremely difficult thing to try and predict people's attitudes and tastes before hand. You can try and put together a show or set that you think will be good and for any one of a hundred reasons, some people just don't agree with your choices. It can be extremely frustrating. I myself have always welcomed constructive criticism because it does help (though it can sting a little too) in evaluating my own situation, but even then it must be taken with a grain of salt. And to be fair.... there really isn't much music written these days outside of Broadway or academia that is what I would call waltz-able.

I had factors riding against me.

- I was told about this Ball Event during almost MID-SUMMER 2009. Gave me like less than 2 months to find music in a video/AMV format.

- I had NO EXPERIENCE running a ball.

- No waltz music (I'm a techno DJ)

- VERY important people flaked out LAST MINUTE without telling me. MORE than 10 people.

- Gathering 8 hours of music videos total, Boiling it down to 3 hours, and converting 3 hours of Music Video Programming to the appropriate format.

For a first year Ball, and the first Ball in AMERICA to have real-time video mixing technology, VERY DAMN BRILLIANT, I must say.

Maybe with all these factors, you all would think twice overall about our hardships to bring you something special.

SakuraMikage
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I forgot that I even registered here...

The Epic
+The level of cosplay really stepped up this year and seemed like there were more people in costume this year.
+Also that more people are coming in from out of town/state to AV too. This year is the first time I've attended Anime Vegas not as a staff member. It's a nice change to be on the other side of the convention experience. I haven't been to too many cons in general so yeah..
+Masquerade Ball. Granted I helped out and made my costume this year just for it, but I really enjoyed the classy change mixed with anime. :3
+More people asking permission for hugs rather than just jumping you.
+ Mini dollfie meet was awesome. BEST EVER. trufax.

The Fail
+ Gun Show (nuff said) I heard that Cashman Center lied to our Con chair about them having the center over for the weekend. Jerkfaces.
+ PROGRAM CHANGES BEYOND ACCEPTABLE REASONS. I know that things can change, but just shortening programs and then moving them without making an announcement over the intercom system is unacceptable to me. I would've missed the BJD panel if we didn't run into the person running it by mere chance of cosplaying from the same anime series.
+ That all the time me and another staff member constantly ask for a Karaoke room and get horribly denied every time. Seriously, anime conventions should never go without a karaoke room/time and we've done so for 6 years now. No excuse anymore with all the space we get at Cashman.
+ Most of the dealers had so much mainstream stuff that I wasn't interested. I set aside $200 and actually came back with $100 back. The imported game booth and the booth with the giant penguin pillow got my funds.

The OMGWTFBBQ
+ That dude in the makeshift loincloth.
+ The L that complained about his cosplay not being formal for the ball. YOU'RE L, OF COURSE IT'S NOT. Also you were doing it wrong since you were wearing shoes.

@ScarletRhapsody, it was very nice meeting you despite how briefly it was. I somewhat ADD when I'm around so many friends I rarely get to see. I'm so glad there's more TWEWY cosplayers out there. You have the best shop despite the difficult stats, Princess K.

@Celcia, I apologize for that. Everything was a blur from sitting on the stage out at so many people with my glasses off in my pseudo-Neku cosplay. If you're the Cendrillion!Miku in that beautiful gown, I do remember me and Seishun asking someone to make sure you get into the room to attend the panel. Once again, I apologize if that Miku was rude about our request. >_<

jinnai
09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Karaoke...

Hmm.. I mean, we can totally DUMP the dances and do just Karaoke for both nights. If that's what people are wanting. I have no problems with that!

にかいと
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
The Epicness
-SPACE! Renaisance was really pretty but I'd prefer space and ventilation than shiny floors
-ball was awesome, even though I was only able to stay for an hour, I still had a bunch of fun
-Grell got lots of love and glomps xD This was probably the "funnest" and most successful cosplay I ever did
-Vocaloid gatheirng lasted almost 2 hours, I had as much, if not even better, fun than I did in the Vocaloid gathering as AX and that was epic
-artist tables were great, I'd love to see more of them next year

The Phail
-need more panels, my friends and I were kinda bored waiting for the masquerade and we played cards in the loft upstairs xD
-kareoke would be fun, you don't have to dump dances, kareoke is still good during the day too :]
-where's the DDR/Parapara? o.o
-AV needs to update their site, sloooooooow pooooooke hahah
-can AV get a better/safer location? like a place that has just as much size or even more than the Cashman Center and an area where parents aren't always going to be worried (I drove there alone and I had to text/inform my parents like every hour hahah)

@Celcia, I'm sorry they dragged you into the panel room and almost injured your ankle, the Vocaloid fans were just so happy to see you, but yeah we need proper etiquette

@Jinnai, thanks for all your hard work, you guys still did an awesome job for running AV's first ball

Overall, looking forward to AV 10 =D

jinnai
09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
@Jinnai, thanks for all your hard work, you guys still did an awesome job for running AV's first ball

That's what I'm talking about! For an event that had only less than 2 months to plan out and prepare for, pretty IMPRESSIVE.

Celcia
09-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Did you tell a staff member? We don't tolerate that sort of crap - especially me. Believe me, I've been tackle-glomped before and it is not pleasant. But we can't be every place at every time, so you have to TELL us if someone does something inappropriate like that. If you would have told me I would have had a VERY long talk with that individual XD.

It was stupidity on my part, but I didn't. I thought the person sitting next to the panelists making sure they didn't run over their allotted time was a staff member, but I guess they weren't since they didn't do anything. Either way... if I ever decide to go back, I'm going straight to Sanji about it so she can have a nice long talk with the offender (if I am attacked again).

Phork
09-09-2009, 12:32 AM
As far a I can see Sasuke-Hime was giving you constructive criticism and I agree with her comments.

I attended the dances for AV 06 & 07 and the music was much more fitting and seemed to have a Happy Hardcore feel with smooth transitions through out the night. This last dance seemed to feature a lot of trance with VERY inconsistent beats making it impossible to dance for more that 30 seconds without having to stop and wait for the beat to pick up again.

The AMVs are completely unnecessary. We're there to dance not to watch youtube videos. The TVs flood the room with light as well which doesn't help ambiance.

Im hoping you can take this as constructive criticism for future events. I have enjoyed your pasts sets and I mean no disrespect by my comments.

jinnai
09-09-2009, 01:38 AM
As far a I can see Sasuke-Hime was giving you constructive criticism and I agree with her comments.

I attended the dances for AV 06 & 07 and the music was much more fitting and seemed to have a Happy Hardcore feel with smooth transitions through out the night. This last dance seemed to feature a lot of trance with VERY inconsistent beats making it impossible to dance for more that 30 seconds without having to stop and wait for the beat to pick up again.

The AMVs are completely unnecessary. We're there to dance not to watch youtube videos. The TVs flood the room with light as well which doesn't help ambiance.

Im hoping you can take this as constructive criticism for future events. I have enjoyed your pasts sets and I mean no disrespect by my comments.

Thanks. I might ditch the video. It was an experiment.

jinnai
09-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Did you guys enjoy the faster Happy Hardcore style/Anime remixes from the past events? I can bring it back BTW. It is my specialty.

Anti Ai-chan
09-09-2009, 03:12 AM
The Epic
Seeing people that I only get to see a few times a year.
Hosting the Phantomhive Ball with Tenshi.
Judging the masquerade ball with Garnet and MissRelina.
Being in warm weather.
People asking for hugs instead of just glomping.
The friendly environment.
Some really amazing costumes.
Fellow Higurashi cosplayers!

The Fail
Certain people flaking last minute at the ball.
The gun show, but I'm kind of used to that kind of stuff since AX used to share with Christians.
Spending my entire day judging when there weren't many people to actually judge.
Having only $6.

The WTF?!
That L cosplayer who "broadened" my mind.
"5 dollar foot long"

It was great seeing everyone at the con and getting to meet so many new people! Do to future plans, I may not be coming back next year but if things change, I can't wait to do it all over again. =3

fandalia
09-09-2009, 03:13 AM
the pros:
hanging out with my friends.
seeing other awsome cosplayers.
having an big group of phoenix wright cosplayers on monday.

the cons:
the panels sucked out loud.
crazy people chasing my friends and almost hurting my friends.
no karaoke.
having to park up on a hill cause of the gun show.
the fact that my group was so bored we left way early on the first and second days.
having no good places for photos.
hardly any good merchendise at the booths the aritst alley had better stuff than the venders.

jinnai
09-09-2009, 03:35 AM
I had that feeling for many years about Cashman being just a place that has a HUGE dealers room and tiny panels. That's all.

Not much in terms of anything else to do... and the fact that it is not a friendly place near any hotel is bad.

We are growing, and the need for a hotel is turning out to be mandatory. We are growing too big for Cashman now. Heck, people STILL cant find the upperdeck.

Sasuke-Hime
09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Did you guys enjoy the faster Happy Hardcore style/Anime remixes from the past events? I can bring it back BTW. It is my specialty.

I did, very much. And I think that's part of the reason I was so disappointed, the past events I've gone to and you'd been DJing had had an awesome flow and beat and that's why I think this year felt so off-putting because I had been excited and expecting something different then what was.

Phork
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Yes please do! I love that stuff!

mirthfairy
09-09-2009, 10:18 AM
The Win
-Hanging with Nat-chan and her crew. You guys rock! You had better come back next year!
-Impromptu day 2 Masque half time entertainment. All of you were a riot.
-Getting to be in the Cosplay panel. So much fun! Everyone asked so many good questions. I want more time next time! ^_^
-A surprising win - the impromptu Momoi panel. She was really cute! It was a fail that it wasn’t planned!
-The people in the back of the room “improving” the Sailormoon Live Action viewing. It was like an episode of MST3K. Awesome.

The Fail
-Two days of Masquerade. There were some really great acts in the single competition that not many people got to see. The turn out for day 2 was really small. (;_;)
-Not enough interactive panels. All of the interactive panels were during the Masquerade, so all I was left with was chatting with English speaking voice actors. Blech.
-They canceled the Hana Yori Dango screening. Also sadness.
-The lack of coordinators/signs/ropes guiding the lines for registration. I was fortunate not to have to deal with it, but I saw a lot of confused people that had no idea where the line went. Since the line went out the door, and there were no signs or anything out there, it turned into the mystery line to nowhere.
-The gallery rooms seemed sort of pointless. There were no signs explaining any of the background regarding the posters. These HUGE rooms stood empty most of the con. I ducked in when the con first opened and it took me just a few minutes to browse through – and then I didn’t go back in for the rest of the con.

Room for Improvement
I went to the J-Pop panel. The Videos were fun, but I would have liked to hear a little bit of background on the singers.

azurien
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
win:
- everyone was nice and it was a good excuse to go to Vegas
- lots of good cosplay from everyone
- the masquerade was funny
- the bands
- the Steve Blum panel

the fail:
- having a gun show in the middle of con.. too hot to go outside and embarassing to have to walk by them and get all kinds of lewd comments.. would have been nice if the dealer room was next to the theater with out them in between
- the vendors were the rudest of any con i've ever been to. i really dislike when nothing is priced and you have to ask for everything and then they just sit there with their arms crossed and dont even want to reply. i was going to buy a $20 tee shirt but the vendor gave me the dirtiest look i actually just walked away.
- the heat lol. idk if this is the best weekend to have a con in Vegas, honestly.
- the fact that there was absolutely no wear to take photos or even to just spread out and hang out with people. only a cramped hallway area or stairs you weren't allowed to sit on
- the heat indoors, didn't see like the ac worked until the last day

the Utter Fail
- the webpage. it was literally unusuable and the worst con website i've ever come across. not putting up the schedule until the day before the con messed up my plans a lot.

the WTF
yes i agree with the others, don't remember any naked loincloth guys in Inuyasha LOL! that was interesting.. but at least he was cute.

woo i sound like i'm complaining alot but not really, i had a blast.

Lady Saya
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I second azurien's comment about the schedule not being available until the last minute. ^^; Hopefully next year it will be out a tad bit earlier.

jinnai
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I did, very much. And I think that's part of the reason I was so disappointed, the past events I've gone to and you'd been DJing had had an awesome flow and beat and that's why I think this year felt so off-putting because I had been excited and expecting something different then what was.

Expect me to kick your asses with faster music next year LOL.

jinnai
09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
The Win
-The people in the back of the room “improving” the Sailormoon Live Action viewing. It was like an episode of MST3K. Awesome.

xDDD It was most likely my homies, the J-team: anime.meetup.com/402

jinnai
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I do have to admit, there was too much of the gallery. It could have been mitigated to just two rooms, not four.

missrelena
09-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Pros:
-Seeing so many wonderful cosplayers! There seemed to be more this year than ever!
-People asking for pics/hugs. For the first time, no one in my cosplay group had a costume damaged by a glomper!
-Having a shuttle available. That's a first at the Cashman, isn't it?
-The BANDS!
-The freakish amount of fun I had at the Phantomhive Ball! Thank you Anti Ai-chan, Tenchi and Jinnai! You guys rock! (Jinnai, I love your anime re-mixes, too!)
-Judging the Masquerades with Anti Ai-chan and Garnet! Love you guys!
-Getting to hang out with all my con buddies!
-The masqerade shows. The competitors, the organizers, the techies, everybody!

Cons:
-Being stuck in the same tiny room to judge the masquerades FOR TWO DAYS! I think all the judging could be done on the same day, even if the shows are split into two nights again. Anti Ai-chan, Garnet and I were having some serious A.D.D. moments after being cooped up for so long.
-The dealers room closing early on day 1? What the heck?
-Pre-reg badge pick up was only 2 hours, and during rush hour. It was really hard to get into town in time.

Epic fail
-"Five Dollar Foot Long" Not Masquerade Appropriate, guys! And he totally distracted from the InuYasha skit. What? There was stage combat going on? Really?
-Only one shuttle per hour. I know shuttles are expensive, but that was a pain.
-The guy from the Gun Show that tried to run me over in the parking lot. He got so close that he left black stains from his truck on my green Victorian Hoop Skirt! No way he didn't see me. It was 10am and I was in a HUGE green dress! (not anything AV can do about him, sigh):crylaugh:

Anyway, I had a great time and I can't wait for next year!

Erudito
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
My 2 Cents (which is all that's left in my pocket)

Positive-
1. Great friendly people (as always)
2. Cool guests (as always)
3. Reno got some love!
4. Fancy dance theme and dresscode
5. Plenty of water around the con
6. Shuttle to the con
7. Large dealers hall
8. Tons of great cosplayers
9. Ah, the AC
10. The art gallery (ooh, pretty pictures)
11. Some really cute gals at AV (as always)

Negative-
1. Fancy Dance music (sorry Jinnai)
2. Shuttle needs to make more trips
3. Dealers hall prices, a bit high (not a fault of the con)
4. The art gallery really didn't need to take up two rooms
5. Wow... so few panels
6. Cashman Center is near nothing (also not a fault of the con)
7. I miss the hotel
8. Could we have the con closer to the strip?
9. No great gathering/photoshoot locations
10. Gaming area used to have so much more
11. NO MAID CAFE!!!!

Neutral?
1. Random panels are random
2. Refugee camp in the hall day 3
3. AMVs at the dance, but no contest, the heck?
4. Gun show, huh? Well they didn't mess with me
5. All these lists end with prime numbers

Extra-
@Jinnai - I sympathize with what happened at the Ball. It was pretty good for a first try and it isn't really your speciality to begin with. I loved what you did at the dances in previous years so I look forward to you running the dances next year (as I assume you are). The audio/video experiment at the ball confused me and didn't really seem necessary at all, points for trying, I guess. Still, I get the feeling that if you find a nice groove to it, you could make a pretty rocking ball.

@Staff - I love this con, it has been one of my favorites since the first time I went. Which was back about 5 years ago. I was a bit dissapointed to hear it was returning to the Cashman center this year, but it was all good and very fun. I do miss being in a hotel at this con, but that doesn't change the fact that I love this con. Not as strong as the last two years, but still pretty good overall.

@Reno Lovers - Thank you

@Giovanni's peeps - Great to see you guys again

Kago_Sabaku
09-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm going to guess you were let back in because later in the night, when the crowd thinned down a bit, we let everyone in regardless of what they were wearing. Seriously you guys, the rules for attire were not that difficult or complicated. The amount of people throwing fits over the dress code was silly. We will not be so lenient next year, so please read the rules carefully for AV 2010.

I was let in originally because it looked very formal. And they said rules were on the site...the same one that didn;t ever work for me. I went by book rules and I do plan on bringing a change of clothes in the car next year. If cashman woulda not charged to park then I woulda gone when I first learned of it and came back. And wtf was up with only charging in the morning that's bs.

I actually knew a number of the gunshow patrons from doing the cowboy single action shooting. They actually thought it was kinda cool. One guy messed with me until one of my good friends stepped in. It was funny to watch my seven or so foot tall chainsmoking friend almost beat this one guy's ass for trying to jack my Tobi mask

I ahd lots of fun at the dance. I don;t see why we don't use the Lasvegas convention center though, it;s strip adjacent, bigger, and totally airconditioned. I mean it may be a bit more expensive but it is a nicer place and it's not scary on that side of town after dark.

I still don't get the charging to park in the am then providing no night security. It's dangerous around there at night and I'm surprised I didn't hear any tales of cars bingbroken into or people harassed by unsavory characters

Eerie Butterfly
09-13-2009, 04:23 AM
I've only ever been to large conventions that going to a smaller con made it seemed like there was nothing to do.

wins:
+ I loved the fact that because AV is a smaller con, we can actually have one-on-one conversations with the voice actors.
+ Smaller pannels
+ Great parking (then again, i got there early and was able to park where I wanted)
+ Met with some really cool people.

fails:
+ Too much glomping
+ Cashman was too out of the way
+ The weird stares I got from staff when I asked them where the peace bonding area was.

there were some other complaints, but there's not much that staff can do about it.

Ahja Reyn
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
+ The weird stares I got from staff when I asked them where the peace bonding area was.

LOL!!!

Hazel Chaz
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Cons:
-The dealers room closing early on day 1? What the heck?

Well, it closed at 7 pm last year, too. I had a table in Artists' Alley, at the back row of booths of the dealers room, and I can tell you that it's a grueling day to try to go from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm, and not be able to leave for dinner by 6 or 7. The room's open all weekend, after all. And how many hours does it actually take to see everything in it?

If I were going to be in the dealers room next year, I'd suggest making the hours 10-6 on Day 1, and perhaps having more time to set up the night before, if they want to have 8 hours of shopping time that day.

missrelena
09-15-2009, 07:57 PM
If I were going to be in the dealers room next year, I'd suggest making the hours 10-6 on Day 1, and perhaps having more time to set up the night before, if they want to have 8 hours of shopping time that day.

I totally agree! I think those hours would be easier on everyone!

The only reason I was irked about it closing early is I ran into several people who had just finished watching the bands, or been at panels, or whatever, and were really upset that they couldn't get into the dealer's room, even though it was posted in the schedule that it would be open till 7pm. (Not to mention that day 1 was the only day I could shop because I was busy with the masquerades on both day 2 and day 3.:crylaugh:) I realize that all those hours make for a long day. . . but if you weren't in the dealers hall when the announcement was put out on the PA system, you were just SOL because you didn't have a chance to hear it and get to the dealer's hall before it closed.

Toshi_Riku
09-16-2009, 02:18 AM
It had its good and bad points through out the weekend

Sasuke-Hime
09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
+ Too much glomping

I cant stress this enough. I dont mind hugs, I like hugs. But people need to respect others boundries. One girl came hauling across the con floor to glom my cosmo and hold on for an awkwardly long time. I'm fine with people hugging him, but it was past that stage and I had to poke at her with my wand to get off.

That and people hatin' on me for being Wanda was totally lame. Sure, she may not be the most awesome ever, but you dont have to say mean things to me or make faces at me. I have feelings too you know. T__T

MangaFreak150
09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
umm well the only thing i really want to mention about this con that disappointed me was the how unorganized it was... the concerts where lat because they there where doing interviews.. that should have been better planned.. if possible
and also how the schedule that was giving to us did not have the right times for the panels.. i missed the 1 panel i really wanted to go to cos i didn't think to look at the schedule in front of the room cos i had the schedule on paper.. i was really upset by that..

this was my first year so i guess next year i'll know better C: i'm hoping they are more video and panel rooms next year, though i'll probably just get a table at the artist alley

iaShakezula
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree with Chaz about the dealers hall.

Well I have been going to Anime Vegas since the second year it opened.If Rich need me to assist him I can do it but from LA.I Met friends and kept friends in AnimeVegas.
Cashman is pretty good venue but its got its weakness.
We got lucky this year because the heat was a bit mild compared to the past.
The other non VO panels needs more draw.
I was only able to go the actor's panel but I missed a few because I was part of the Masquerade on monday.
I really wasnt sure about the separate single Masquerade. I still think it would have been better if they put them in the same night.I prefer to relax on the last day of the con which I wasnt able to do.I probably wont do it again.
The concerts was running really late, they should evaluate that .

Asa Gohan
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Pros:
I loved the ball. I wish my HS prom was as cool as the ball. Props to DJ Jinnai.
The dance was super awesome!
great voice actors
great cosplayers, extremely nice
Nice Sasuke helped me with my crossplay.
A/C
skits were great

Cons:
Where was the cosplay repair station?
schedule changed on a daily basis AARRRGHHH.I understand that its hard to run a con, but it was kind of frustrating
Website was flooded.
not enough VA panels...for me anyways. I'm kind of a VA snob.
parking eugg...i heard that its now 4 dollars a day to park.

Hazel Chaz
12-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Cons:
Where was the cosplay repair station?

We had an unofficial Costume Repair Station kit at our Anime Los Angeles table in the back. It wasn't run by the convention, though.

I don't go to every convention every year, so I won't necessarily be bringing the kit next year. But perhaps someone will start that sort of department at Anime Vegas?

iaShakezula
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
hmm I already wrote this but I want to say it again Combine the group and Single cosplay Masquerade .

Anti Ai-chan
12-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Pros:
I loved the ball. I wish my HS prom was as cool as the ball. Props to DJ Jinnai.

Daaww! Thanks a bunch! I'm glad you liked it, especially since most of us were like "how the frick do we run a ball?" lol

YetI
12-17-2009, 02:00 AM
i only had a coupe of pet peeves

1.i really misse the ichigo cafe, those guys rock! hey had a booth but it just wasnt the same as a full cafe
2.why couldnt they just take the con back o the Rennosance hotel? there was some trouble and it was a bit cramped but wy not mve the con the convention hall right next to it??
3. is there really n other dae in which to hold the con? one more or less week to avoid the gun toting rednecks?:mad:

Asa Gohan
12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Daaww! Thanks a bunch! I'm glad you liked it, especially since most of us were like "how the frick do we run a ball?" lol

I did the waltz for most of the ball with some random guy in a kilt. It was rather cool.

I will have to agree with YetI, I missed the Ichigo Cafe having their own room.

I had no issues with the gunshow. I just wish we had that space for our use.

(off topic...does anyone remember the Newtype funeral at AV 08?)

idolaiya
01-06-2010, 03:19 AM
I did the waltz for most of the ball with some random guy in a kilt. It was rather cool.

I will have to agree with YetI, I missed the Ichigo Cafe having their own room.

I had no issues with the gunshow. I just wish we had that space for our use.

(off topic...does anyone remember the Newtype funeral at AV 08?)

I so remember the funeral! I was the crying maid. T^T

Asa Gohan
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I so remember the funeral! I was the crying maid. T^T

Ah! I remember you! That was a really fun funeral.

idolaiya
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
It really was. Really touching too! I miss Newtypes a lot!T^T

A x e l - F
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I very much enjoyed the convention. However, the girl who was yelling at people to get the heck out of the dealers room before it opened was extremely rude. >.<

The fact that the dealers room didn't open until Noon was also epic fail. I always remembered people could at least walk around while the dealer's were setting up.

Tenshi
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I very much enjoyed the convention. However, the girl who was yelling at people to get the heck out of the dealers room before it opened was extremely rude. >.<

The fact that the dealers room didn't open until Noon was also epic fail. I always remembered people could at least walk around while the dealer's were setting up.

I don't know who was yelling at you but that's not cool. I think a reminder to all staff and volunteers that yelling is not appropriate will be brought up.

However, it's not appropriate to let attendees wander around the dealers' hall when they're in the middle of setup. That's how shoplifting happens. Also, noon is usually the time most con dealers' halls open on the first day. That's how it's been at Fanime the last few years I've been.

Hakaider
01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Just a quick question..

Will Anime Vegas remain at the Cashman Center or will it move to a new location in 2010 ?

I really liked the location for the Renaissance Hotel, but I was told that Anime Vegas won't be returning there anytime soon.

Thank you.:)

ScarletRhapsody
01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Just a quick question..

Will Anime Vegas remain at the Cashman Center or will it move to a new location in 2010 ?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I'm going back and forth whether or not I should add Anime Vegas to the 2010 itinerary. Location and dates would be very helpful.

A x e l - F
01-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't know who was yelling at you but that's not cool. I think a reminder to all staff and volunteers that yelling is not appropriate will be brought up.

However, it's not appropriate to let attendees wander around the dealers' hall when they're in the middle of setup. That's how shoplifting happens. Also, noon is usually the time most con dealers' halls open on the first day. That's how it's been at Fanime the last few years I've been.

I thank you for that. At one point the girl started getting into people's faces and started pushing them out the door which I know upset quite a few in my own personal group I was with including myself.

Hmmm....that is odd. When I went to AnimeVegas in 2006, they dealers room opened at 10:00AM on the first day. Last year was the last time I went since then so I expected to be the same and was a little disappointed it wasn't.

Ahja Reyn
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
If I remember my con years correctly, 2006 was an exception to the rule with everything that was being done.

I know a lot of things once again went wrong with the Cashman Center behind the scenes in 09, so there's a strong possibility that a new location is once again being scouted out for 2010

A x e l - F
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
If I remember my con years correctly, 2006 was an exception to the rule with everything that was being done.

I know a lot of things once again went wrong with the Cashman Center behind the scenes in 09, so there's a strong possibility that a new location is once again being scouted out for 2010

Well that would explain a lot of things then. The '06 con was the only one I went to until last year.

Orly? I thought something seemed a little off with the whole thing.

iaShakezula
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I know the organizer of AnimeVegas and I am aware he is negotiating prices for a bigger hotel with a convention center.

Did I mention what I liked with the convention of 09 is that I was able to hang with my VO actor buddies ie Yuri and Tara.I even chated with Blum .It was good to see Jerry Jewel and he was wasted at the autograph area.I cant blame him, its Vegas.I am not activily working as VO yet so I dont get to see them in LA excluding Jerry, he is from Texas.

and yes their website is lame, sorry RS.

PumpkinSpice
02-24-2010, 03:42 AM
I know the organizer of AnimeVegas and I am aware he is negotiating prices for a bigger hotel with a convention center.
[/COLOR]

Oh thats wonderful!! I loved Anime Vegas in 2008 when it was at the Renaissance. I mean, I'm a local, but for people coming in it's much more convenient. Not to mention it has that conventiony-feel.
*edit* nevermind!~ checked the website! oh i'm so happy ^-^

Hakaider
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
It looks like it'll be going to be held at the Alexis Park Hotel on September 4-6, 2010.

Alexis Park Hotel website:

http://www.alexispark.com/index.html

Official Anime Vegas website:

http://www.animevegas.com/

Hmm....Really tough decision...AnimeVegas or DragonCon? I really like both cons and both are scheduled on the same dates...Drat and double drat! ( I gotta learn how to clone myself so I can be in two different places at the same time.)

iaShakezula
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I go to AnimeVegas because my friend is running that con and I like Vegas as a city with all the bad and the good and its closer .
well that hotel has a very nice garden. I am asking RS more about the facility and what will be the layout .

Got confirmation that Anime Vegas will use the entire meeting hall 44,000 floor plan of that hotel.It a little smaller than the Marriot at LAX.It got lots of garden space, good for outdoor gathering..if its not too hot...

That hotel has a rating of 4.Rooms looks nice.

http://www.alexispark.com/parthenon.htm

ScarletRhapsody
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to Hangover Con!

Er...Anime Vegas 2010. ^^

A x e l - F
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I go to AnimeVegas because my friend is running that con and I like Vegas as a city with all the bad and the good and its closer .
well that hotel has a very nice garden. I am asking RS more about the facility and what will be the layout .

Got confirmation that Anime Vegas will use the entire meeting hall 44,000 floor plan of that hotel.It a little smaller than the Marriot at LAX.It got lots of garden space, good for outdoor gathering..if its not too hot...

My business partner and I drive up pretty much every year from St. George, UT since starting our own convention there. We have found it good business to mingle with the people there not to mention we simply love to cosplay. >w< Sadly I missed seeing pretty much any VA last year and just stayed in the dealers room.

I'm quite interested in seeing how this new hotel is going to work out. I've always seen the con at Cashmen Center so it will be nice to go to one at a nice hotel. Vegas really has changed since I lived there. I haven't even HEARD of the Alexis Park Hotel. ^^'

PumpkinSpice
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM

That's pretty good. I went to ALA.
I was worried about the size and whatsuch...
Cosplay picnics (:

Anti Ai-chan
03-06-2010, 01:30 AM
UGH! Figures it's at an awesome hotel this year when there's a 50% chance I can't go! *rage*

iaShakezula
03-06-2010, 12:55 PM
. >w< Sadly I missed seeing pretty much any VA last year and just stayed in the dealers room.

I'm quite interested in seeing how this new hotel is going to work out. I've always seen the con at Cashmen Center so it will be nice to go to one at a nice hotel. . ^^'

Yeah the other year Anime Vegas was at the Renaissance and that place was too small.Their Ballroom was small so RS has to limit the attendee during the main events.He didnt want that to happen again so we went back to the Cashman center.Now he got a bigger venue, hope this one works better.

About last year , since they split the group Masquerade from the single entry, I was in the Sunday Masquerade I wasn't able to see some my of VA friends on the last day.Thank goodness they are not doing that this year

I am already set on going, I got my day off and we will getting a room soon but not at the same hotel..ps my hubby needs peace and quiet:D

A x e l - F
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah the other year Anime Vegas was at the Renaissance and that place was too small.Their Ballroom was small so RS has to limit the attendee during the main events.He didnt want that to happen again so we went back to the Cashman center.Now he got a bigger venue, hope this one works better.

About last year , since they split the group Masquerade from the single entry, I was in the Sunday Masquerade I wasn't able to see some my of VA friends on the last day.Thank goodness they are not doing that this year

I am already set on going, I got my day off and we will getting a room soon but not at the same hotel..ps my hubby needs peace and quiet:D

Oh yes. Never stay at the same Hotel as an anime con. >.< It's just not a good idea.

My friends and I are already planning on going. While they are going for the full 3 days I have a feeling I'm only going to be able to go to the Saturday one since it is my mother who is paying for the travel expenses and she wishes to go visit family. XP