PDA

View Full Version : Help making stuffed animal for NYAF.... Please!!

Aurora Maryte
09-12-2009, 12:46 AM
This is going to sound stupid and pointless, but I need help making a stuffed animal. My little brother decided he wants to be Hunny from Ouran High School Host Club, and he wants the dumb pink bunny no matter what. I mean, I have a general idea of how you make a stuffed animal, and I know that I'm going to use the batting/pillow stuffing they sell at Michaels to fill the inside- unless that's the wrong thing to do, but I assume that's fine.

My main issues are what to use as the material for the outside of it, and how it should be sewn up- like if anything special needs to be done so it keeps its shape. Above all though I'm having issues with the fabric- I mean, I went and looked around everything they had at the fabric store, but..
I mean, stuffed animals aren't covered in normal fabric that you would use for clothing or something. It's softer, more velvety or velour-like, fuzzy... I just don't know what kind of fabric I'm even supposed to be looking for, but I'm pretty sure my fabric store doesn't sell it, and they didn't know what I should use either, so I knew if I came here, I'd actually get somewhere with this.

Whatever I do use can't be exorbitantly priced... I'm kinda strapped for cash... but I'm hoping it's cheap, whatever it is- and also that there are a few options I can go with, as I might not be able to find certain fabrics that are suggested and might have to go with a 2nd option.

The bunny has to be done by Sept. 25th too.... Just putting that out there.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any help- you really don't even understand how grateful I will be.

Kitsoru
09-12-2009, 03:18 AM
This is going to sound stupid and pointless, but I need help making a stuffed animal. My little brother decided he wants to be Hunny from Ouran High School Host Club, and he wants the dumb pink bunny no matter what. I mean, I have a general idea of how you make a stuffed animal, and I know that I'm going to use the batting/pillow stuffing they sell at Michaels to fill the inside- unless that's the wrong thing to do, but I assume that's fine.

My main issues are what to use as the material for the outside of it, and how it should be sewn up- like if anything special needs to be done so it keeps its shape. Above all though I'm having issues with the fabric- I mean, I went and looked around everything they had at the fabric store, but..
I mean, stuffed animals aren't covered in normal fabric that you would use for clothing or something. It's softer, more velvety or velour-like, fuzzy... I just don't know what kind of fabric I'm even supposed to be looking for, but I'm pretty sure my fabric store doesn't sell it, and they didn't know what I should use either, so I knew if I came here, I'd actually get somewhere with this.

Whatever I do use can't be exorbitantly priced... I'm kinda strapped for cash... but I'm hoping it's cheap, whatever it is- and also that there are a few options I can go with, as I might not be able to find certain fabrics that are suggested and might have to go with a 2nd option.

The bunny has to be done by Sept. 25th too.... Just putting that out there.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any help- you really don't even understand how grateful I will be.

A stuffed bunny, if you don't want to splurge on a short-pile plush fur, would be best made using the kind of soft cotton material baby onesies and blankets are made out of- not terrycloth or chenille but there's another kind I think that's slipping my mind x.x; If you have a Jo-Ann's near you, ask them for that kind of material- they should know what you need (hopefully). If you have any soft baby toys to use as reference for material, bring it- it's easier to ID fabric by seeing/feeling it than just describing it, I find.

And don't worry, you'll just need fiberfill for it if it's going to be a simple little plushie. Do you know how you're going to add the eyes yet? You could either embroider them on (probably don't have the time for that though) or find a scrap of thickish black material and heat-bond it on.

Good luck finishing it by that date... XD;

Zouziias
09-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Ok, I'm not big on plushie making, but here's pretty much the only advice I can give you.

GO TO DEVIANTART.COM.

I seriously find some EPIC tutorials on there. I know for a FACT there is at least 1 plushie making tutorial. Plus, Ouran is a very popular series so you just might find a tutorial on making Bun-Bun. But not on dA, I just checked. xD But go check out the plushie tutorials on there.