PDA

View Full Version : Worldcom Masquerade

Ninja Sensei
08-17-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm surprised I beat Kaijugal to this but I thought I'd pass on this notice from the Director of the Worldcon (Torcom3) Masquerade:

Just wanted you to know that Iíve convinced the committee at Torcon 3 to extend the $50 Masquerade Contestants Pass (Participation Pass) that we will accepting them at the door. I will be selling them in the Masquerade Office (In the Caledon Room in the Crowne Plaza Hotel) until 2pm Saturday. Just in case, It is important to remind people that these are indeed Participation Pass which means you must be entering the Masquerade and it is not a pass to come in and see the masquerade (someone has asked).

The Masquerade Contestants (Participation) Pass allows you:

1 In the Main Room for the Masquerade Tech Rehearsals from 10 am to 6 pm on Sunday.

2. In the Masquerade Green Room from 6:30 pm to the end of the Fashion Show on Sunday.

3. Allows you on the stage during your entry in the masquerade on Sunday.

4. Allows you in the costumers suite or Anime Video Room during the showing of the masquerade video, if there is one after the masquerade on Sunday.

Please keep in mind that this is a Participation Pass and only available to you if you participate in the masquerade as a contestant. This also means that, if you're entering in a group, then it will cost you $50 PER PERSON in the group (not $50 per group ... as some wag thought! LOL!) ;)

So, if you're waffling about entering the wordlcon masq .. maybe this will sway your decision. :)

nuriko001
08-18-2003, 03:18 AM
Holy Crap Tha"s Expensive

Ninja Sensei
08-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Holy Crap Tha"s Expensive

Yes, it is.

I know it's of no comfort to those strapped for cash, but Worldcons are expensive. (This is less than half the cost of a 1-day membership.)

I'm sorry if it's the case that you can't afford to come for even this much, but it's the best the masquerade organisers could arrange after three years of negotiating. And the extension of this price to "at the door" is a major 'good thing.'

Sarcasm-hime
08-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Worldcon is a HUGE event; it's 5 days long and has really big-name authors as guests. The Hugo awards (literary awards for Sci-Fi and Fantasy) are held at Worldcon every year. So that kind of explains the high price of admission...

nuriko001
08-19-2003, 02:56 PM
but still man.. you gotta pay to be in the freaking masquerade.. and the rules are pretty damn strick.. meh screw that..

they need like a HUGE ass 'coupon on their site.. not like cn's 1 dollar crap cupon

Kaijugal
08-19-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm surprised I beat Kaijugal to this but I thought I'd pass on this notice from the Director of the Worldcon (Torcom3) Masquerade:

Yah I've been busy!!! :waaaah: Freaking out now!! :waaaah: Hahaha... I was going to post it today but you beat me! Haha. I wish I had known about this BEFORE I paid the $275.00 for the con! EEEK!!! I have to save for my halloween TV project.. hehehe..

Ninja Sensei
08-20-2003, 12:00 AM
but still man.. you gotta pay to be in the freaking masquerade.. and the rules are pretty damn strick.. meh screw that..

they need like a HUGE ass 'coupon on their site.. not like cn's 1 dollar crap cupon

A coupon? The $50 Participant fee is a lot less than a 1-day pass. I gather from your reply that you looked at their site you've seen that the 1-day pass is $125. That's a 60% discount.

And you'd be competing at the highest level. And under the same rules that the AN Masquerade has been run under. Same rules, same degree of "strict."

If you can't afford it, I understand. And that's unfortunate because there is some really good work in this crowd that deserves to be shown at the highest level.

Hopefully some of the other anime costumers on the board will have a bit more positive outlook on their skills and will see this as an opportunity and not a "show-stopper."

Oh ... And Kaijugal? :razz:

Mia-P
08-20-2003, 01:21 AM
I've never seen this con advertised anywhere, I just heard about it through posts. Does anyone have a link to the website?

Kaijugal
08-20-2003, 02:59 AM
http://www.torcon3.on.ca/

http://www.torcon3.on.ca/images/torcon3_banner.jpg

Kaijugal
08-20-2003, 03:11 AM
Oh ... And Kaijugal? :razz:

I love you too. :toothy:

Kaijugal
08-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Gentlebeings:

I am once more activating the "telefan" net work. Now, I know that not all of you are attending Worldcon, but a number of you will have friends, nodding acquaintances, enemies, lists, I don't really care what relationships to people, who are attending, and I need to reach everyone that I can so please pass this one on!
The Torcon concom is giving the masquerade people a very hard time; insisting that the masquerade will be too small to justify the cost of the stage, curtains, and tech. This could end up being a topic for discussion at the Worldcon business meetings. Worldcon masquerades have gotten smaller, for many reasons: bigger presentations, sky rocketing costs for building costumes, and the amost ever increasing cost of attending a Worldcon.
Well, to everything there is a season, and all things turn, but I don't really want to see a return to small stages, no tech, and maybe no masquerade, so here's what I'm asking everyone, who owns a costume, and is attending Worldcon: enter the masquerade!
there are only four reasons that a costume cannot be entered on stage at Torcon 3:
1) You're wearing it in the halls.
2) You either bought or rented it.
3) It's on display at Torcon 3.
4) It's won at a previous Worldcon.
Everything else is welcome in competition. Did you take it to Worldcon last year? The year before? Did it win? No? Then try again this year. New judges! New audience!
Win at CostumeCon this year? Last year? The year before? Bring it! Barb and Martin are encouraging people to compete the same costumes at Worldcon and CostumeCon since both masquerades as equal.
Don't want to compete? Enter out of competition! Help fill the stage. Let people see your costume.
Can't really afford to attend, but you life in the area. The $50.00 Masquerade Only (this is for those who don't want to, or can't afford to, do the rest of the con. If you have a membership, you have an automatic right to participate in the masquerade.) will be on sale in masquerade headquarters, at the Crowne Plaza hotel right up until masquerade registration cut off.
If you are Canadian, and life near by, you can bring your costume to the Salute to Canadian Fashion; the half time show. People entering the fashion show are classified as entertainer and will not have to pay to take part in this. You get on stage; you get to go through the photo line...all of it. You'll be on the official video of the masquerade, and have your picture taken by the portrait photographer, the digital photographer, who will be putting everything on disc, and the fannish photography stations, which are comprised of flash, available light, and video. Gain a small piece of costuming immortality!
Everyone, who is coming; who knows someone who is coming. Dust off the mothballs if you have too, but bring those costumes, get on stage, and show the concom that costumers are still a force to be reckoned with.
Thank you! :dance: