PDA

View Full Version : Wordlcon Costuming Programming Track

Ninja Sensei
08-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Edited for more recent info on times & locations & length

What Torcon's Costuming Programming Track looks like, this is what I have at the moment... Keep in mind that all information is subject to change. :wink:

Torcon 3 Costuming Track

Panels

1181) What To Expect When Attending your First Worldcon Masquerade.
Sunday 11:00 a.m - 12:00 p.m. Convention Centre 206A

430) Masquerade Wrap up
Monday 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
…How did we do? What can be done better in the future? Come discuss last night's Masquerade.

431) Costuming Photography
Friday 4:00 - 5:00 (room to be announced)
… A photograph of your costume lives forever." Come and learn how to help the photographers give your costume a taste of immortality. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for costumers and photographers to interact BEFORE the Masquerade.

432) Convention Costuming: A visual History
Friday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (location to be announced)
… A slide show and visual trip down Memory Lane. See what costuming was like is the beginning. Come and find inspiration for your place in its future.

433) Costuming 101
Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (room to be announced)
… For people who want to costume, and have little or no experience costuming. Come find the answers to your costuming questions.

434) So, You're Gonna Enter Your First Worldcon Masquerade?
Friday 1:00 - 2:00 Royal York Quebec Room
… You've competed at small local conventions and the regionals. Are you ready for the Big Time? Come and find out how to make certain that you are. This covers things like Registration, Green Room, and Tech.

435) The Judges are Watching
Monday 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. (room to be confirmed)
… It's not enough to simply please the audience; you have to please the judges! The audience is out there; the judges are close enough to see your shoes. Find out what judges look for in a presentation.

436) How to Run a Masquerade Green Room
Monday 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… “The Care and Feeding of Costumers and Judges" The Masquerade Green Room is the place where costumers gather before going on stage. This is a panel for those of you who wish to run Green Rooms.

437) What are you going to do next Time?
Monday 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec
… This is the question that strikes terror in to the hearts of many a costumer. You went out there and they liked you. Now, you hear them asking you: "What are you doing next time?" Come and find out ways to get over your fears and get it done.

438) Tools of the Trade
Friday 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec
… A "Show-and-Tell" where the experts show you what's in their kit beside sewing supplies, duct tape, wire cutters, etc.

439) 15 People on a postage stamp stage.
Saturday 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. Royal York: Quebec room
… Want to be part of a megagroup? Find out what you need to start one and design an effective presentation.

440) Spread Your Wings and Learn to Fly
Saturday 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Royal York Manitoba room
…or at least give the impression of flight. Wings are a dream that almost every costumer has had at one time or another. Come and learn from those that have "flown" before.

441) If They Drew It, I can Make It
Thursday 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Convention Centre 206B
… Translating images from the movies, television, anime, manga, book covers, etc. into costumes. Come and hear some of those who have done it.

442) Sculpted Costumes
Friday 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Royal York Quebec Room
… Ever see those incredible costumes that look as if they were sculpted, not sewn? Come and learn from the experts.

443) Face Painting for the Stage
Friday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… Your costume is perfect. It can be seen from the back of the stage; but you can't. Get tips and suggestions from those that have been doing this successfully for years.

444) What Do You Mean, You Don't Stock the Staff of Saurman?
Saturday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Royal York Manitoba
… Most costumes need props of one type or another, whether it's fans, guns, picture frames, or magic mirrors. Not every store sells them, and you need to customize them even if you can buy them. Find out tips on turning your $5.00 axe into the "real" thing.

1181) When is Big Suddenly Too Big?
Saturday 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Convention Centre 206B
… Costume presentations are getting larger: more people & bigger props. Do large presentations have an unfair advantage over single costumes? Do larger presentations mean smaller Masquerades? This debate will have questions and answers afterwards. ALL WEAPONS MUST BE CHECKED AT THE DOOR.

446) 57 Queen Amidalas, 101 Mr. Spocks, and 27 Harry Potters
Saturday 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Royal York: Manitoba room
… ReCreation costumes are usually well received but what happens when you're the 13th Dr. Who in the Masquerade? Learn what to avoid and how to make your reproduction different.

447) Found Parts
Saturday 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… Your alien needs a pressure helmet. You need a gun that looks like a gun, but won't set off metal detectors, and costs less than $5.00. Talk to the people who turned Recycling into an art form.

448) Getting started in Anime Costuming
Friday 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Royal York, Quebec room
… How to get started in Anime Costuming, known to its dedicated fans as Cosplay. Learn about Anime costuming and how it is influenced by Japanese culture.

449) Practical Fantasy- Costuming for the Hall
Thursday 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec Room
… Comfort, attention to detail, practicality, and Panache - there's a real art to designing and making a good hall costume. It's one thing to look wonderful, it's another thing altogether when you can't easily use the elevator, the stairs, or for that matter, the bathroom.

1174) Costuming with Your Child
Saturday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… Is your child forever playing dress up with your fabric collection? Come to our discussion of what to do next to create and show off your newest costume. How about the local Masquerade?

Demos - Two Hours Each In Length

450) Soft Sculpture Costuming
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec
(formerly "How The Beep Do You Cut Six Inch Foam?" … I believe)
… You've got the perfect idea, but it requires turning a block of foam rubber into a dragon's head. Simple. Except that the foam won't cut, let alone carve. Come and learn how to work with foam.

451 The Leather Turn On
Friday 10:00 p.m - 12:00 a.m Royal York Quebec room
… Does black leather turn you on? Did you really like Mrs. Peel's leather jumpsuits? What about simple things like leather gauntlets and harness? Whatever your interest in costuming with leather, stop by, learn a few things, and exchange leather dreams. An interactive demo.

579) Getting the Blinkies to Blink
Friday 12:00 - 2:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… For those of you with an interest in tech. A workshop/demo/discussion on getting the lights to light and stay lit...or how to get them to blink on and off and on and off and on and...

580) Baubles, Bangles, and Beads
Friday 10:00 - 12:00 a.m. Royal York Quebec room
… Beading and bead weaving. Glitz is the name of the game for a number of costumers and non-costumers. Necklaces, bracelets, hair accessories, and beading a costume. Come see and learn.

615) To Top It All Off
Friday 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec
… In days gone by, a lady was considered naked if she was not wearing a hat. For most costumers, it's the same. From Captain Hook to Gandalf the Grey, everyone needs a hat. Discover how easy it is to make a classy hat.

616) Adding FX to Your Props
Friday 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. (room to be announced)
… Ray guns, blasters and light sabres: just special FX? Strobes, sound, LEDs, and neon can make those props come alive.

659) Taking Fabric Where It Has Never Gone Before: Manipulating Fabrics For Fun, Not Profit
Friday 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Convention Centre 206F
… Master Costumer Jacqui Ward gives you a hands-on presentation on how to make something one dimensional (fabric) into 3-D designs. Quilting, appliqué, beading, embroidery, and layering are just a few of the techniques used.

675) Middle Eastern Belly Dancing Costumes and Belly Dancing
Sunday 2:00 p.m. (Room to be announced)
(NOT AN ENTERTAINMENT PANEL)
… A short performance, followed by instruction and advice from some of Fandom's finest belly dancers.

713 The Mechanics of Costuming[/b]
Saturday 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec
… Bicycle cables, motors, springs, pneumatics, and other simple approaches to animating costumes.

1091) Klingon Foreheads, Dog Faces, and Magma Demons, oh my!
Saturday 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Royal York Quebec room
… Prosthetic makeup can be as simple as Elf and Vulcan ears, and Klingon foreheads, or as complex as complete transformations. Come and see how it's done. WARNING: LATEX ALLERGY ALERT!!!

1153) Titanium Anodizing Your Props
Saturday 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Royal York Manitoba room
… Anodizing titanium adds colour for unique fantasy daggers and swords. Simple colouring and more advanced techniques will be demonstrated.

So ... If this at all sways you to come to Torcon 3 for some of these panels ... cool!

If you really can't afford it ... that's unfortunate, BUT FIND SOMEONE WHO IS GOING AND STEAL THEIR NOTES!!! :wink:

heki-chan
08-17-2003, 09:11 PM
hihi :)

i have a quesiton

what is the #2 item? is tha a photoshoot/ photo-area?
or a panel/workshop on how to take photos

thankies in advance :)

Ninja Sensei
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM
hihi :)

i have a quesiton

what is the #2 item? is tha a photoshoot/ photo-area?
or a panel/workshop on how to take photos

thankies in advance :)

Here's the brief description I have (sorry for not including it - I'm old, I forget things :lost: ... I will be editing the list in th enear future to reflect these missing details):

2. Costuming Photography - Friday 12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M.
… "A photograph of your costume lives forever." Come and learn how to help the photographers give your costume a taste of immortality. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for costumers and photographers to interact BEFORE the Masquerade.

In other words, it's a panel on how to cooperate with the photographers to get the best pics. This is a usual panel at this level ... and it may give you some useful info to take back to the other photographers at other cons so that you can tell them how to best take your pic. :p

Chosuke
08-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Oh alot of those sound so very very very very good...

But its so expensive -_-;;.. and i'm so damn poor.

Ninja Sensei
08-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Oh alot of those sound so very very very very good...

But its so expensive -_-;;.. and i'm so damn poor.

I know it's expensive Chobrat ... and I'm sorry that you (and I'm sure countless others) might not be able to attend. :(

The reason that I posted the list of the costuming panels is so that you might see what is being offered at the Worldcon for the price they are charging. (It's almost like a mini-Costume Con :) ).

Hopefully, if you can't make it this time, you will be able to make it to future Worldcons or Costume Cons.

(Of course ... you could always talk to me about volunteering to help work the masquerade at Worldcon ... hmmm? ;) )

Kia
08-18-2003, 04:32 PM
But I've been told that even by volunteering you still don't get access to anything... if you want to go to the pannels or anythign you *still* have to pay the full day/weekend amount.... I don't know how true this is, but I'm working at the info desk on the sunday, so we'll see if they let me in anywhere. ^_^
Dude, those pannels sound soooooo awsome! Damn, I wish I was rich... ^_^

xiola
08-18-2003, 06:31 PM
um... gord?

*hides* humble request, coz i'm a bit worried: could you poke whoever is organizing the fashion show to get back to xiola and kisa? either that or let us know whether we should be worried or not - we left our info volunteering to be models for the worldcon fashion show with barb or someone she knows (i'm pretty sure it was barb), and i'd kind of like to know whether she's just forgotten about us or just has been busy and hasn't gotten back to anyone yet? i'd just kind of like to know whether we should be making plans to be there or not :/ ?

*slightly worried*

Kisa
08-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Colour me Just not Caring what happens in that sense.
I got told off by via email by someone when I emailed and offered to help! XD

Go Worldcon. I sure want to attend NOW!

xiola
08-18-2003, 07:29 PM
you're not "attending", really. it's not panel-ish stuff, and you get to see the masq stuff without the stress. and it's probably not the same people. besides, i don't want to go alone! :P

but i'd rather know whether i have anything to plan for or not...

heki-chan
08-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Alix and Charles said that Barb is feeling sick lately and hasnt been able to reply to many people--maybe thts why you havnt gotten a confirm; i havnt really either^_^;;
but basically just show up there at 6pm or something? i dunno (._.)

Kisa
08-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Not cool enough to get special invitations to get in for free, even tho other people have.

Get bitched at for no reason.

Not special enough to get *special Invitation* from random old-costumers unlike still other people.

Can't get an Info-email when other people have gotten them weeks ago...

Ohyeah. Sounds like a Fabulously Grand Time if I feel like making myself feel MORE Useless and crappy! Hey, I can stab myself in the eyes and it would be TWICE the fun!

Don't worry Xio, You'll have Ruth. They actually Emailed her, so they must want her there. I mean, she IS a Masq. winner, and therefore elegable to show off her costume in the fashion show.... You can probably get her to forward the invitation if you want more information.

You can drop me off at the coffee-shop or something if you still want to go. Or send me home or something.

I'm more and more disenchanted with the whole costume-community thing these days anyway, and it's getting to the point where i don't *want* to interact with anyone else, since they just make me feel like shit and like I'm not good enough.

I can amuse myself and that generally doesn't involve stabbing what self-esteem I still posesse.

Ninja Sensei
08-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Okay ... (as much as I know ... which isn't much more than what I've already posted ;) )

1st Question ... Kia, you are correct. If you volunteer for the masquerade staff you are allowed in to the masquerade area for Sunday only (main room, stage area, green room, etc.) You can still interact with all the costumers.

2nd Question ... Xiola, I haven't heard from the fashion people yet either. They've posted a couple of times on other boards, but NOBODY has heard from them. If I don't hear anything by this weekend, I am going to chat with them at SFX.

Qestion #1 from me ... Kisa, who did you send a note to? If it was Barb, she's been doing not so well lately ... If it was to someone else, was it for the masquerade stuff? If it was for programming, much of it has been set already ... but the Torcon con-com was slow getting off the mark with this. If you want I might be able to contact someone who is on the team for you.

Confirmation for Heki-Chan ... We should be able to confirm all the info regarding times and all this weekend.

Question #2 from me ... Huh? What's the deal? I was so looking forward to seeing ALL you guys! If you really don't want to help out anymore, that's too bad. You'll be passing up a nice opportunity to meet some nice people from out of town. ... And don't forget that you don't need a membership to attend parties (at the costumer's suite, for instance) or just hang at the costumer's suite. (And they haven't given me an inivtation either ... or ANY details with regards to the fashion show - no script, no idea of how many people we have in it ... I think it's just some poor organisation and NOT a personal vendetta. :) )

Kisa
08-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I'll give the abreviated version without names, since I'm sure they can I.D themselves if they so choose to.
But Basically I was chatting with someone and it came up that some people/cosplayers had been approached to do panels, and as exchange would get to attend for free those days they were doing the panels.
So, I got pouty and in humour said I wanted to do Panels, and since I'd done panels at both AN and TT, it wasn't like I was some Yahoo off the street who wanted to Oogle.
So, since the person I was talking to has been really supportive, I was given a name and an email, and I sent an intorduction and explanation of why I was emailing, what I had heard, and if it would be possible to take advantage of this little deal that others were getting.
I mentioned i had also volunteered for the Fashion show, and I had done panels in the past, and I was a decent costumer with Masq experience and workmanship skills.

So, then I got told basically it wasn't my business, and it had nothing to do with me, and then got a ramble about things I already knew (ie how being a volunteer in the fashion show meant I got in, and how even if I wanted to participate in the Masq. I had to pay. ) They snapped at me and then didn't even address what I had said beyond it wasn't my business, and it shoudln't have been mentioned.
Ok, fine. They were rude and condescending. I can deal with that normally.

And then I heard that the person (who can I.D themselves if they want) who had talked to me got in trouble for mentioning things they *weren't supposed to*.

Well gee, sorry for being curious about people getting special treatment and to see if I could take advantage of the same thing.

So, I don't know if that's poor organization or what but if I have to put up with Attitude like that Because I asked a Question, I really don't WANT to go to World Con, or associate with the parties involved, no matter how free the lounges may be.

I was fine with volunteering, because Hey. Something to do, it seemed like something nice to do. But if that's the sort of attitude I'm going to get when dealing with staff, (or whatever part they were affiliated with) they really don't deserve my time, or my volunteerism.

And no, it wasn't Barb, but it was people involved with costuming things and panels or something like that. I have names, not actual positions. But, they were able to get 6 passes for the people in question, so that should narrow down who it is.

Ninja Sensei
08-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Ouch! At least you're not bitter. ;)

But seriously, you are not the only person who has been treated this way by Torcon, and there are people out there who are carrying MUCH bigger grudges. Some of us for many years.

And maybe you don't want to go to Worldcon cuz of all this, but that shouldn't mean you have to turn your back on involving yourself in something you obviously care a lot about. (And don't worry ... I won't tell anybody that you care about something!) But you volunteered to help the masquerade, and you DO know those people. At least I feel I can speak for them when I say that we value your contributions to the hobby and your desire to make a difference. It's too esay nowadays for young and talented people like yourself to get turned off this wonderful hobby cuz of the actiosn of a small pea-brained minority who probably couldn't organise their way out of a wet paper bag. ;)

As for the parties, the good ones are the ones that AREN'T thrown by the Torcon people. ... Like the ICG Chapters from the US (like the Sick Pups, the cres from Baltimore, Boston, Philly, etc) ... and other cons (like Ad Astra) ... and other Worldcon bid parties ...

(And, hoping that it won't break your image or anything ... but I like you and your stuff!)

Kisa
08-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Oh, I'm Bitter. I'm plenty Bitter. I have a good memory for things that piss me off, and faces, so I know who to smile at when they ruien their lives.
And I'm not mature enough to let go of Grudges...

Which is incidently one of the reasons I put distance between myself and the things that annoy me.
It means no one has an unfortunate accident falling down the stairs, and I don't get in trouble for doing anything except ranting.

Tho once I perfect the setting things on fire with my Mind, I predict a change in behaviour. ^_^

Kia
08-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Kisa, somehow I've become familliar with said situation and the special treatment other people seem to be getting. I'm none too pleased myself but unfortunately a) it is really none of my business, I can make it if I want it to be, but I'd rather stay out of this nasty situation I see brewing. and b) I am not an established cosplayer, no one knows me, I have produced nothing of any calibur that would ever get noticed. I may want to be the person recieving said treatment, but I am the last person on earth who should get to bitch about this..... but I *really* want to anyways... but really though, I actually stand behind you on this bitch fest. I'm just glad I'm not the only one annoyed by it.

And Gordie, just double checking, I'm manning the info desk, but yet I still can't actually go anywhere or check out any of the pannels? And just exactly why am I to think that loaning myself out is a privilage? I really don't get it...

Sarcasm-hime
08-19-2003, 02:47 AM
;_; but I was hoping you'd wear Windy, Kisa....

Bleh. I haven't really encountered any of this stuff personally, but it sounds like there are some major miscommunications and disorganization going on. Don't let this stuff put you off costuming, Kisa...yeah, so we're not on the same level as costumers who have 20 years of experience...so what? If they want to cop an attitude, that's their problem.

Kisa
08-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Oh, it doesn't make me want to put off costuming. I don't take it that seriously, and I do it because it's FUN and I can be around friends while getting to make pretty things.
I don't even really care that some people are specialer then the rest of us, because heck, I'm used to that. Heck, I just wanted IN, even if it's not the fairest deal in the world.
I'm just in a Bitchybitchybitchy mood, and I'm sure there are nicer ways to have been told to bugger off rather then treating me like I was an idiot and getting yelled at.

What it all comes down to, is that I just see/hear one thing one place, and get another reaction elsewhere.

It just makes me not want to deal with that crowd and it makes me wonder how much of the "we love the young'uns! Of course their welcome!" attitude that they've been a giving, and if it's just for show/admire US as we're your elders. That is your place! To think we're cooler then you.

And yes, that's a HUGE generalization, because not everyone has been a two-faced ass, but it does end up reflecting on the rest. and making it an interesting game to play: Who is sincere and a nice-person?! Who just thinks they're better then everyone else and this is how they proove it?

Then it just gets reinforced when some people get friendly emailed notes and encouragement to enter *their* costumes in the fashion show (Because as Masq. winners, they're entitled to it, and deserve it!), and then getting info, and all you get is cranky old people yelling at you for expressing an interest in something you'd heard.

It annoys me, and I don't have the emotional strenght to deal with it anymore. Especially on top of the rest of the crap i'm dealing with (Just even going to Toronto/CNA at ALL anymore, because I just don't *care*, Friends who obviously don't give a rat's ass about you since you're easily replacable ect.ect.) And it's a completely stupid, happened-a-while-ago situation that rather then having any real purpose in having been mentioned, just kind of eats away at the energy that could be otherwise devoted to doing something.

xiola
08-19-2003, 04:12 AM
kisa: i won stuff in the masq too, and so did you. and neither of us got nice invite letters, even though i gave my email address.

but i think i'm not going to bother getting bitter about it, it's just too much trouble.

well, that and i'm not used to anyone ever recognizing me even though i deserve it, and i want to do... stuff. coz it's better than doing nothing, which is what i usually do. and i can use the whole excuse that it's good to do stuff that's getting me in a good direction since i'm technically in school for this sort of thing...

of course, i'm tired, and haven't done any sewing in the past 3 days... >_>... but that's ok. coz i'm going to sleep now and don't have to get up for work in the morning *faints*

Kisa
08-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Yes... but it woudln't be ME if I weren't Bitter and annoyed and complaining about it. :P
But yeah. I have to make up sewing time now. And sleep. or both of those, in some order...

nuriko001
08-19-2003, 05:14 AM
wah kisa.. you're STILL AWAKE!!!! hehe

meh, world con, is soo expensive.. tha's alli gotta say.

and being invited and stuf.. usulaly it's 'connections and stuff..

maybe , they do'nt want ou to go ,cause you'll kill everyone there AHHAHA:P *hugs, i haven't talked to you in the longest time

Ninja Sensei
08-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Yes... but it woudln't be ME if I weren't Bitter and annoyed and complaining about it. :P
But yeah. I have to make up sewing time now. And sleep. or both of those, in some order...

I see now!!! Your bitterness is your driving force! ;)

Can't wait to see what your next work is. ("What are YOU lookin' at?!" LOL!)

Ninja Sensei
08-19-2003, 08:29 AM
wah kisa.. you're STILL AWAKE!!!! hehe

meh, world con, is soo expensive.. tha's alli gotta say.

and being invited and stuf.. usulaly it's 'connections and stuff..

maybe , they do'nt want ou to go ,cause you'll kill everyone there AHHAHA:P *hugs, i haven't talked to you in the longest time

Expensive? ... Yes - yes, it is.

That's why the masquerade people busted their butts for the past few years negotiating the Masquerade Participants Pass. You've got to admit, it's better than the day rate. :)

As for the politics of "who gets invited on panels and who doesn't" ... I could tell you horror stories! HORROR STORIES!!! ;) (Find me at SFX or something if you want to chat about this more.)

Kisa
08-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Heh. Bitterness is like Hatred.
Rather then Using Energy (and exhausting you)the way people think it does, it can feed you and keep you going. And make for a grand ol time causing trouble.
Not that it was my intention to do so... I have much more interesting things to complain about should I want to do that.... But. Yeah. Meow.

Nuriko: Yeah... I keep weird hours. lol. Sleep is nice tho. I'll make up for it later tho.... I'll be cranky. ^_^ We should chat at the Con.

nuriko001
08-19-2003, 01:59 PM
yes.. yes.. we should.. hehe:).. haven't chilled wit ya along time SHHHH don't use me name>.< *shakes fist.. don't make me expose your REALLL NAME HAHAHHA'i'm kidding.

are you goign to world con?

Kisa
08-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Ai. Sorry 'bout that. I'll go back and edit. It's habit -_- I can't spell Nuriko most of the time.

I doubt I'll be at worldcon. I would have liked to stalk George R.R.Martin, but... well. I doubt I'd get the chance, and well, Worldcon has annoyed me, and since i'm already cranky about stuff, it isn't helping my disposition. and I'd just be bitter and woudln't do Windy justice.
*Stomp stomp stomp. Turn. *hate you all glare* Turn. Stomp stomp stomp.* *people burst into flame*
... somehow I don't think that's quite the right look ;)

Kaijugal
08-19-2003, 02:18 PM
I want to clear a few things up here.

First, I'm not sure where this idea of "invite letters" came from. I sure as hell never got one. :confused: Where did this come from?

Regarding those of you who volunteered to model in the fashion show.**

There is another person organizing the Salute to Canadian Costuming.

I only found this out recently myself. I'm not going into details as to why, I'll explain at the show.

She requires contact information and measurements of those who wish to participate. I am happy to pass on your information and get her in touch with you. We need to do this asap. She has also informed me that she is looking for more costumes. I know that there are quite a few of you here with creations that I feel she would be interested in. :)

Please let me get you in contact with her asap. Do not miss this fabulous opportunity to see (AND BE PART OF!) a Worldcon Masqurade at No Cost! :)

This is our time to shine in the international community!

Cheers!

xiola
08-19-2003, 03:05 PM
thanks for the update... *is so in the dark about what's going on with that X_X*

a) well, ruth defenitely got an invite letter, along the lines of "hey, i'm with the worldcon fashion show, you won stuff in the TT masquerade, therefore would you consider entering your stuff into the fashion show, it'd be a great opportunity, blahblah *explaination of fashion show*" or something. she forwarded it to me and i read it, so i'm not just saying what i heard from someone else.

but apparently no one else got one. so i dunno what's the deal with that. *shrugs*

B) anyway, although at the moment it kind of seems like a big ordeal that i don't want to deal with, i know i'll regret it if i don't coz my moods change and i'm just lazy, so i'd still like to be in it.

i really don't know if i have anything worth entering, though i DO like my Merry costume. but i dunno, it sort of just looks like plain period costume even though it's well-done and looks good. but that's probably just me being negative. i can model for it, but i'll model for someone else if she doesn't want the dress.

umm... i'll just send you an email with my info to pass on, ok? ^^;;

Kisa
08-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Enter Kurikara. That won an award. Two, actually. and it's hat/sword is cute and it'll match Kijin.

Merry deserves to be shown off... it's spectacular.

xiola
08-19-2003, 04:09 PM
but Kurikara looks silly on me...probably just coz i look bad in black hair. and the problem with it is that i don't own the wig for it and it'd have to be restyled every time :/ but if the hair doesn't matter i could enter it for someone else to wear if they wanted it... merry looks better on me tho ^^;;

Kaijugal
08-20-2003, 01:48 AM
:chatah: Update ... Still waiting to hear from LB. I'll let everyone know what I do ASAP. :drunk: For the record I'm participating in 6 panels and donating items for the display and still had to pay $275.00 to attend. I'm sure Sarcasim_Hime will tell you the same thing. If I wasn't insane and didn't have my vacation pay I wouldn't be able to go. I agree it's too expensive, but if I was less fortunate, I'd definately buy the $50 pass and at least attend the masq.

*sighs*

Ninja Sensei
08-20-2003, 11:47 AM
And Gordie, just double checking, I'm manning the info desk, but yet I still can't actually go anywhere or check out any of the pannels? And just exactly why am I to think that loaning myself out is a privilage? I really don't get it...

Sorry Kia. I didn't see this til now.

As far as I know, based on the masquerade staff that are restricted to just the requisite areas, I would think that you are too. But ask the person in charge of the Info Desk. They might have a diffferent arrangement.

As for loaning yourself out being a privilige ... It is a privilige for those that work with you. :)

Kisa
08-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Ne... Sensei...
For those of us helping out in the Masq. is there somewhere special we go to pick up our passes/register, or do we just tell them we're super-volunteers at the main desk?

Ninja Sensei
08-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Ne... Sensei...
For those of us helping out in the Masq. is there somewhere special we go to pick up our passes/register, or do we just tell them we're super-volunteers at the main desk?

You'll want to go to the masquerade registration office/desk (but I'm not sure exactly where it's located) ... I imagine any time on the day of the masquerade (Sunday). Models will have to check in at some time before the show (probably around 4 or 5).

I'll confirm the location of the office and time this weekend and get back to you.

Cool? :bigtu:

hellbelle
08-28-2003, 09:11 AM
(wrong person posted)

Ninja Sensei
08-28-2003, 10:49 AM
WOW--this con sounds GREAT! Most definitely because it actually teaches you about *PROFESISONAL* stage tips and maekup, etc. etc.

I wish I knew about it earlier--how much is it, WHEN is it, etc. etc?

I'm sorta broke too--so I'd like to know the damage. ;)

If you're planning on attending multiple days of the con ... it costs somewhere around $275.

If you're only planning on attending one day of programming, it is $125.

If you're only planning on competing in the masquerade, there is a $50 particpant's fee (includes the masq and tech rehearsals ... NO programming). ... And it would be really cool if you could afford this as it would help show the world how talented and such our people here are :D ...

You can get the Particpant's Pass (i.e. register for the masquerade) up until 2 PM on Saturday at the masquerade office (which I believe is the Caledon Room in the Crown Plaza).

I hope this is what you're looking for HB! If not, just send me an e-mail and I'll try to get you whatever info you need.

PS. You can also check the Worldcon website for masquerade info:

Worldcon Masquerade Page (http://www.torcon3.on.ca/events/masquerade/main.html)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-28-2003, 11:46 AM
oh~~~~~~~ I want to go! but seriously i am all out of $$ -_-||| I can't do anything now -_-||| *crys*

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-28-2003, 11:50 AM
just wondering, for the world con masq, do you need skits? or do most ppl just walk offs?

ninja sensei wrote: "If you're only planning on competing in the masquerade, there is a $50 particpant's fee (includes the masq and tech rehearsals ... NO programming). ... And it would be really cool if you could afford this as it would help show the world how talented and such our people here are "

how about for ppl who ar just watching the masq? is it that much too?! ~>_<~

Ninja Sensei
08-28-2003, 02:54 PM
just wondering, for the world con masq, do you need skits? or do most ppl just walk offs?

Walk-ons work just fine. Skits do as well. Keep in mind that the masquerade follows Worldcon rules (being Worldcon and all ;) ) with a mnute to minute-half time limit and no live talking on stage.

I know that this is quite a ... um ... "challenge" to many cosplayers. ;)

ninja sensei wrote: "If you're only planning on competing in the masquerade, there is a $50 particpant's fee (includes the masq and tech rehearsals ... NO programming). ... And it would be really cool if you could afford this as it would help show the world how talented and such our people here are "

how about for ppl who ar just watching the masq? is it that much too?! ~>_<~

Unfortunately Maki, people who just want to watch the masquerade have to buy the 1-day membership at $125. :(

That's why the masquerade organisers worked so hard to get a bigger discount for the particpants (60%!). :)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-28-2003, 06:21 PM
thanks for the info :( no live talking (just us tapes)? :( i guess world con is just not for me =(
*crys*

okay ppl~ take more pics to post for the ones who ar not going ^^ heehe