PDA

View Full Version : New To Anime Boston

kijo
08-18-2003, 12:05 PM
I wanted to go the Anime Boston, because the 10th is my birthday and it'd be fun. But it's also over easter weekend (that'll be tough to get out of with my family) and it's a little longer then i usually drive to go to conventions (about 5 hrs). So I was just really wondering if anyone who has went to the first one has anything to say, positive or negative, just to kinda help me decide. I just wanna know if it's a good birthday investment or not. ^.^ Thankies!

Koumori
08-18-2003, 12:08 PM
How do you feel about tightly packed crowds?

kijo
08-19-2003, 12:14 AM
How do you feel about tightly packed crowds?

I'm used to packed crowds at conventions, but how packed are we talking? Will I still be able to breath? Heh ^^;;

sevette
08-19-2003, 12:49 AM
not so much in the dealer's room, masquerade, and certain areas of the mezzanine. whenever they were open, those areas grnerally had the most people & lines around the hallways...

i didn't really mind all the people, although it did at times feel crowded. but there was a friendly atmosphere and i had fun, so that's good enough for me. ^^

JacksUsername
08-19-2003, 01:24 AM
heh, it was my first con and I certainly have fond memories of it, but it could get pretty crowded and pics sometimes slowed things down because there wasn't really too many wide open spots for picture taking besides the lobby.

Other than that, the most frequent complaint was organization and the masquerade, but considering it was a first year con, some things went wrong. In 04, i think they're getting some space across the street, but i'm not positive.

Either way, if you decide to go, make sure you pre-register, don't chance traveling there and not being able to get in ^_^

Sweet~Pea
08-19-2003, 10:10 PM
The Art room and Dealer room will be in the Castle this year so there will be much more moving room this year. 2005 will be great though because it will be at the hynes center and, of the conventions I've been there, it's a beautiful and large convention center :) AB is lots of fun, definatly worth it. Just don't over load the lifts, learned that the hard way...
-Christa

Rukawa
08-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Yeah definately packed when some main event happens takes up like most of the hallway. Still it was fun and it was my first con also ^^. Definately pre-reg if your planning to ever want to get in. =P

Koumori
08-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Once they move to the Hynes, it will be much better. I did *not* enjoy the crowds last year (not my idea of fun) and was grateful to be day-tripping it.

Priss
08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
It was really super duper fun! Even though the place was crowded, you are gonna have fun because of the friendly people. I live in the the state where we have 4 or 5 Anime convention in a year. Can you tell where I live now? ;) heehee..

For me, small conventions are more fun and the people are more friendlier. And you can easily make friends. :bigtu:

JacksUsername
08-20-2003, 12:44 PM
awesome about it being held in hynnes in 05....i hadn't heard that....i went to a comic book convention at that convention center a couple of years back and its much more spacious, and they'll be able to do a lot more. very good news, although next year should be just as fun

kijo
08-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all your help with responses! ^.^ I really want to go, I've gotta see if some of my friends want to come and room with me, so if it all works out, I hope to see you all there. It'll be a fun birthday! ^.^ Thanks again!

Neko_Kaolla
08-22-2003, 06:58 PM
I am going to go to college in MA and I really want to go to Anime Boston 04 as Kefka and Rikku... but I don't like crowds (claustophobic)... Is it really bad everywhere you go?

Kurthy133
08-31-2003, 08:17 PM
well, i didn't the crowds were that bad --- it was crowded --- but not enough to really mind all too much. i still think it's worth it ^^ i think it's one of the nicest conventions in the area ^_~

<3Lisa

Rukawa
09-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Well the place is really crowded, but its not that crowded that you can't move around. Its not a con you want to miss either cause its really fun.

Alisa
09-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Yay, sounds like Anime Boston is really fun. This will also be my first time at Anime Boston.

number18
09-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok. Anime Boston was expecting itself to be an ok-sized con. I found out that most first-time cons have like....a couple hundred people. But then all the sudden there was like 2000 people pre-registered and on Saturday, they had to stop admitting people because the fire limit on people was already broken or something. There was about 4000+ people in the place and it was pretty crowded. It's not a really big, wide open place like a convention center. It's a hotel that's fairly old, with character, with narrow hallways - not really built to accomodate large crowds. So I almost want to compare it with how the hallways were in my high school between classes...maybe not packed-sardine crowded, but pretty damn crowded. There are a few places to get a breather...you can step outside for a minute...it's good. I can't really say how bad it is because I don't mind crowds at all...maybe you should look through my anime boston pics just to get a glimpse of all the people in the background...

PatrickD
09-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Ok. Anime Boston was expecting itself to be an ok-sized con. I found out that most first-time cons have like....a couple hundred people. But then all the sudden there was like 2000 people pre-registered and on Saturday, they had to stop admitting people because the fire limit on people was already broken or something.

Yeah. When we were first shopping around for hotels, we expected maybe 600 people. There were 330 people at Mikkakan a year earlier. We figured we could probably get double that in Boston. Heh...

Arisia does the Park Plaza every January with 2500 people. We figured that was plenty and we'd have no problem. Oops!

We got 1382 (or so) pre-registrants...and then had nearly 3000 more at the door! Panic!

Ideally, we'd go to a larger space right away, but because we signed the 2004 contract before Anime Boston 2003 happened (or else we wouldn't have ANY space), we're stuck there in 2004. Cancelling the contract would cost more than I make in a year!

Anyway, now that we're EXPECTING that in 2004, we're planning for it. Halls shouldn't be quite so crowded next year. Plus, the dealers' room will be in a much larger room (across the street). Things should go much smoother (as long as it doesn't rain!)

...and in 2005? Oh boy! Just wait and see what we'll have in store then! :)

Michieru
09-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Once they move to the Hynes, it will be much better. I did *not* enjoy the crowds last year (not my idea of fun) and was grateful to be day-tripping it.
Tell me about it! When I went there, I nearly tripped on my costume because there were so many people there! Talk about a major mad house gone wrong :thumbsup: I unfortunately won't be going there for 2004 because now I'm in my Sophmore year in college and it seems I'm going to be quite busy for all these months to come. So unfair! Life can have its ups and downs, ya know what I mean?

Jace Kobayashi
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Konnichiwa! :japan: I really want to go, it's sad, but i have to go with my 12 y.o. cosplaying sidekick of a cousin, the question is, do you have to stay for all 3 days, or is paying for three days and going for 1 a ripoff?

Oshi
12-16-2003, 09:08 AM
...and in 2005? Oh boy! Just wait and see what we'll have in store then! :)
I like the sound of that :D

Gale
12-19-2003, 05:02 PM
I wanted to go the Anime Boston, because the 10th is my birthday and it'd be fun. But it's also over easter weekend (that'll be tough to get out of with my family) and it's a little longer then i usually drive to go to conventions (about 5 hrs). So I was just really wondering if anyone who has went to the first one has anything to say, positive or negative, just to kinda help me decide. I just wanna know if it's a good birthday investment or not. ^.^ Thankies!

aww! do it!!! last year i was gunna go to AB on my b-day, the 20th, but it was also easter so things didnt work out...and i still regret it...lol i had such a good costume idea too!!! it was easter AND my 16th b-day, and i dont know how much of you know Ayashi No Ceres, but that kinda has a bit of symbolism in there...and so i was gunna dress as Aya...but sadly i had to wait for the summer & went to Connecticon instead...which was rather small >.< and that couppled with being my last day of summer camp couppled up to cause me to go nearly two days without sleep...