PDA

View Full Version : AVI is Full!

AM Chair
08-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I have just been informed by the general manager of the hotel that the AVI is officially full. The last avaliable single room was taken yesterday. You are encouraged to call the Inn of Lancaster just north of the AVI for their available doubles and singles at attractive prices at 661-945-8771. Doubles are also avaliable at the Desert Inn right next door at 661-942-8401. If you don't mind the walk, fill up the DI first, all rooms will drop the block sept 25th or sooner

Revell

Raider3
08-19-2003, 05:20 AM
Ugh... I'm in a bind now, aren't I? I guess I'll try the Inn of Lancaster or the Desert Inn, if I don't hear from GameMan (John), or anyone else heading up ConOps. (I'm just a little worried, but still plan to make it down, even if I'm just participating as an attendee again!)

Congratulations, and hoping for a successful year this year, and hopefully a bigger venue next year! (and counting down the days for 2003...)

hello kenney
08-20-2003, 01:28 AM
all rooms will drop the block sept 25th or sooner

what does that mean?

Ok, I missed out on the official hotel, so which is the *best* of those other two choices- and how long will it take to walk to the con from either of them? I dont mind walking, but I really dont want to be driving back and forth if its too far to walk.

Thanks.

AM Chair
08-20-2003, 01:51 AM
What it means is that the DI room block will drop around Sept 25th. Of the two hotels, the Inn of Lancaster is the better of them. It's closer. a five min. walk

Raider3
08-20-2003, 02:26 AM
That's what I thought, (remembering the walk from AVI to Carl's Jr, during our own Cosplayer invasion - nyo-ho-ho-ho-ho ^_^; ) - And, that's where I'll probably call first during daylight hours. (And if I miss out there, then I'll try the Desert Inn...)

One question, however, since you mentioned room rate blocks through Sept. 25, I'll assume if I mention Ani-Magic (Or AVAS?), they'll know, right?

I'll probably follow this one up within 24-36 hours. ^_^

Eliza
08-20-2003, 02:47 AM
I've never been to an Ani-Magic before (other cons yeah, not this one) but rate-wise I've found Lancaster Inn to be better (and that's where I got my reservations). Haven't ever been to either hotel before, though, so I can't say much more ^^

Eurobeat King
08-20-2003, 02:57 AM
I should call the hotel and check my reservation.. :thumbsup: I made the reservation the week after Animagic 2002, and requested a room by the pool. To my surprise, the double-bed rooms were all taken, and so I took a single-bed room, because I needed a pool-side room to do quick-changes of my costumes, and I wanted to partipate again in the window-display contest. :D You all probably have an idea of what I plan to decorate the window with this year.. ;)

hello kenney
08-20-2003, 10:59 PM
I got a room at the AVI today, and they said it was the last- I suggest people call there first even if it might be full- you never know if someone cancelled and a room opend up.

Raider3
08-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Strange... I guess people react quickly when the word goes out. I called up the Desert Inn and the Inn of Lancaster today and representatives at each said they were full. One place wasn't even sure if they had an Ani-Magic block.

I cut my losses and booked a room at the Motel 6 (about near Ave. K and 14/138... God help me, I know parking's going to be SCARCE at the AVI, taking last year into account.)

I'm standing by in any case... I can cancel up until 6 pm the day before if I need to shuffle around. Ugh...

Next year, unless there's plans well in advance to split a room, I'm always getting a room taken care of for myself. I learned that lesson from pre-con drama at Fanime and AX.

AM Chair
08-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Hey Raider I'll check out that block situation for you, I think that's the DI. They usually deal with numbers, not names on their blocks. If that's all it is, I'll get the number and post it here, but not before I PM you with it first.
Revell

Michi
08-21-2003, 10:39 AM
o____o Desert Inn and Inn of Lancaster are filled too? My group has a room at the AVI. Problem is, we have too many people so we were going to split between one of these hotels.. but.. crap?

duck
08-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Wow. I am so screwed.

JoeBoeing
08-21-2003, 01:40 PM
*booked his room at the AVI a week after AM last year*

I'm sorry to hear about you guys not having a room but, *sticks out tongue* I have a room. Sorry, that was mean. but next time book early.

I always book my room early so I don't have to deal with this type of stress.

I'd let you guys stay in my room but my roomie hates staying with other people. Sorry, I wish I could help.

I can probibly let a couple people use my room for changing into costumes though.

From,
Joe

Raider3
08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Hey Raider I'll check out that block situation for you, I think that's the DI. They usually deal with numbers, not names on their blocks. If that's all it is, I'll get the number and post it here, but not before I PM you with it first.
Revell

Thanks, Revell, and you're right, that was probably the Desert Inn, since I called the Inn of Lancaster first, I recall, and they knew what I was talking about right off the bat. I believe it was the DI where the person I was speaking to wasn't quite sure.

I'm sure the updated information and block numbers will be a great help to myself, and others looking to get a room at this late date. (Well, technically late, with less than a month and a half to go!)

JoeBoeing: Just for the record, I registered for Ani-Magic back in January, and was planning on splitting a room with a couple other friends who were going, along with a couple of their friends, but that was before Fanime and AX pre-con drama set in, people cancelled out, and stuff like that.

To complicate matters further, I was approached by Kensuke/Gameman/John about helping out on AM staff, then waiting for more details on that. (And I believe he made a post in this section a few months back. - http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15337 )

So I waited, and then I didn't hear anything back for a couple weeks, and I wasn't quite sure who else to contact, since Kensuke's apparently scaled back his online activity due to outside and personal factors, apparently.

At least, for the time being, I have a place to stay, it's just not as close as I hoped.

This year has taught me one lesson, and that is that I'm more likely to book a room for myself first, possibly allowing for a couple other people to share it, but the ultimate goal is to make sure I'm not left in the lurch if others cancel out. I don't intend to seem selfish, or untrusting of others, but after two cons in a row of pre-con drama, I'm trying to look out for myself just in case plans start to unravel prior to the con date.

(P.S. Next year, as soon as the info is released, even if it's a week after the current year con ends, I'm getting myself squared away with the registration *and* the room. At least with Fanime this year, I booked the room my friends and I were staying at, but the number of people staying with me did fluctuate a few times, and apparently, this sort of thing seems to happen quite frequently, but I did book the room with the intention of splitting it with up to 3 others, so fortunately, it turned out for the best.)

Psychotic Jei
08-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Crap. Well, I better call today. I keep forgetting to call and stuff. ::writes note on hand to call before work ::

AM Chair
08-21-2003, 11:33 PM
(reposted from Hotel Status thread)
When I read this thread and noted that the overflows where booked, I ran out and confirmed it. It's partially true: all the doubles are fully booked at both hotels, The Desert Inn and The Inn of Lancaster. However, both hotels have a lot of single rooms:

Desert Inn-

40 Queen singles

20 King singles

Inn of Lancaster-

15 singles

When reserving at the DI use this code: 69546 or mention Ani-Magic. They will know what you are talking about.

There is another new option that I arranged today. You heard me mention a motel right next to the AVI, and that you should avoid it. I have to take that back. The motel is under new management. They are also beginng a renovation of all the rooms that will be complete by October.

This is the Town House Motel, and they are offering a 1-4 occupancy rate of $55.00 a night. Their number: 661-942-1195. They have 20 double rooms. They may caution you about the renovation in progress, but they will probably get it done. They are clean rooms and trying to shake the previous image.

AM Chair
08-21-2003, 11:55 PM
I hate to admonish, but a lot of you guys need to be fast with this con when it come to rooms. It looks like before this shindig starts every hotel on the highway is going to be a happy camper. Thanks to you all, we created a show that you can enjoy, and we really thank you for that.

Raider3
08-22-2003, 02:25 AM
Thank you very much, Revell! The information is much appreciated, and I am happy to say that I called the Desert Inn about 20 minutes ago, and successfully booked a room with the group code, and obtained a confirmation number! I can breathe easier now! (Also made sure to cancel out the Motel 6 reservation, but I'm glad I found out there that was located during one of my drives off-site last year.)

I recall I didn't pay much attention to the other motels next to the AVI when I was walking down to Carl's Jr. with a group of hungry cosplayers (I was the token non-cosplayer/mundane ^_^; ), however I didn't think too much of the Town House, I guess. I hope things are looking up, and after Anime Central 1999 at the Arlington Park Sheraton in Illinois, and the Desert Palm Inn and Suites across from all the AX action this year, I definitely know about the *fun* and *excitement* of being in a hotel undergoing renovation. (And I'll probably save the AX room experience for my blogs. ^_^; )

Anyway... I'm sure the other folks here appreciate the fact that there's still a chance, but, as it was mentioned here, you'd better act FAST! (As in: "Log off CounterStrike/EverQuest/Ragnarok, pull yourself away from the browser, free up the dialup line if needed, and get on the phone NOW!") Most of these places should have a night office, and someone should be there to get your reservation squared away!

Good luck, and if you're like me, get your butt in gear and get your costumes sewn/pieced together, etc, and save up your spending money! I've got my AM membership, and my Akiyume Club card set, and I'm looking forward to a great event once again!

Psychotic Jei
08-22-2003, 03:11 AM
@_@; Luckily, we dont muchly care about the hotel. :: goes to book the brokedown motel :: And maybe, other things will open up. :: tries to remember what the motel looks like ::

Raider3
08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah, when you get right down to it, the room is a handy place when you need to sleep, need some space away from the convention function space. (Unless we hear the thumping music like last year... "Yo, everybody - WHASSAP?!" *bomp*bomp*bomp*bomp*...)

Just be careful of areas that may be closed off or scaffolded off, and of course the occasional wet paint areas, or areas that may be in the process of having carpeting replaced, etc, since there's no clear date of exactly when in October they'll be finished renovating.

In the case of Anime Central 2001 in Illinois, it was mainly closed off areas on the ground floor, coupled with the fact that there was a lot of foot traffic, since there were about a couple thousand people there during the weekend. (I think I goofed on my dates in one of my last posts. ACen was in Arlington Heights, IL in 2000-2001, and both years there were renovations going on, including the fact that the hotel started out as a Hilton, and became a Sheraton, but the majority of the ground floor work was done in 2001. It's a moot point, since we moved back to Rosemont, and the Hyatt Regency O'Hare, in 2002. 1999 was the year of the "maze" at the Ramada Plaza O'Hare. No construction that year, but very long and confusing passageways.)

Good luck, let us know how the remodeling goes, and how your experience was. See you in October!

Psychotic Jei
08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Done and done. And they didn't mention anything about remodeling. =o But, they were nice about it....and even asked me when -we- wanted to checkin.

AM Chair
08-22-2003, 03:52 PM
I think it will get done. There is flurry of new stucco and paint on the exterior that make a night-and-day appearance right now facing the highway.

Psychotic Jei
08-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Personally, being a poor cosplayer....*cough* I think I can handle even if they're not done. :: is ending up paying a share of 25 bucks for the stay...is quite happy ;:

FlameSniperRei
08-22-2003, 09:30 PM
just how far is DI to AVI? I got my room there like er today.

AM Chair
08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
It's about 1 block.....I hope I don't have to answer this again.