PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron's 'Avatar'

Pages : [1] 2

Summoner Luna
09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
With so little information and images being released about this film, I am both surprised and not surprised there has not been very much cosplay chatter related to it, but as it does look to be quite lovely, I figured I would go ahead and start a thread <3

I think the Na'vi look absolutely incredible. Have any of you considered adding them to your cosplay list? And which do you think would be the better route--a bodysuit, or body paint? I would love to hear/see everyone's interpretations of this beautiful film... :)

SvK
09-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Na'vi? Hey! Listen!

The biggest challenge to overcome for a Na'vi costume is being 10 feet tall. That's not going to happen, so ignore it and move on to the next challenge: the face. It looks like fancy contact lenses, a prosthetic nose, and fake ears.

Some of the male warriors have necklaces and wristguards that could be used to hide the edges of a bodysuit. The main character wears human clothes in some scenes, so he's covered up enough that bodypaint wouldn't take too long.

Hyper_Phantom
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I've added it to my list! I'm still trying to find pics though. My main issue is my body, but hey, it's a goal to shoot for and is something that will finally get me to the gym everyday. Starting today, I've declared war on my abs. :) And the make up is a welcome challenge. I just finished my college course on theatrical make up and am excited to see how I can accomplish the Na'vi look.

Tom DePetrillo
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Hay , the 10 foot deal is not untouchable, just a little difficult. And now there are photos of the power suits and they look COOL. The hardest part would be covering the seams on the Na'vi.

Silver Faction
12-09-2009, 05:12 AM
You need to be really comfortable with your figure to pull one of those off. From what I see, there is little in the clothing department even with the females. If you do decide on a body suit, which I second, don't forget about the tail.

-FishyBob-
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I would say go for the body suit. As said above, they have very little clothing and unless you are comfortable with that it would be the easiest rout. Plus body paint doesn't tend to stay on. I would consider adding them to my list though, because they do seem like a fun cosplay to pull of.

As for the 10 ft. tall bit, stilts, anyone? Lol

E. Hyde
12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
They're also not a solid blue, so it'd take an awfully long time to do the patterning each time if you wore body paint, versus painting a body suit once.

eisblitz
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I have a movie still on this computer (as a desktop background) of one of the characters.

The character has very large eyes that are done with makeup over the original eye. One thing I don't understand too well is how they were able to do the white part of the eye so large, looks like someone is holding the outer part of the eye open with something, but it doesn't look that uncomfortable, but that could be the acting.

A thin bodysuit would be something that you would have to do. Body paint would come off too easily, and with the nose, it's either prosthetic, or simply putty that was moulded to widen the bridge. The ears are just prosthetic too.

moonflower.
12-16-2009, 12:23 AM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about how they did the actual designing of the characters... There was no actual makeup or prosthetics in the filming.. it's all CGI done with Facial Performance Replacement on site.

for recreating it for cosplay, you'll probably end up needing to create a mask or something that you apply to the face to make it workable.

ZerosFangs
12-17-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm guilty of adding them as a cosplay on my list but the difficulty I would have being a begginner cosplayer is unbelieveable. I will try to attempt it soon when I have enough courage though.

I have to admit, not every cosplay is completely practical, but a good try is enough for those that aren't.

umbrellas
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I can't wait to see some attempts of these costumes!

I don't think I will, given that a 5'1" Na'vi would be pretty silly ^_^;;
BUT I think that the lovelies out here in cosplayland could make some gorgeous representations.

Body colour aside, the face is totally the hardest part, their facial features are really strange- the flatened nose and pointed teeth are doable, but the wide set large luminescent eyes are the kicker.

With the way they look no wonder Mr. Cameron waited for the CGI to catch up a few years before attempting this movie, I've a feeling creating the look of the Na'vi in real life will really take some doing.

Movie was great fun though. And I really do look forward to seeing some attempts! Good luck out there!!

audrey12345
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Do you think it would be acceptable to cosplay a character with clothes on? Like, one of the avatar scientist people?

I can walk on stilts, but that probably wouldn't look right if I was half naked, and I don't really feel comfortable with that anyway.

Kiwi54
12-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Most definitely cosplaying this. Lol I'm gonna have to to get my butt in high gear and get to the gym. But as far as the costume I'm trying to go the body paint route, but a body suit would be a good second option.

The biggest challenge will be trying to cosplay this without flashing anyone lol

Kiwi54
12-21-2009, 11:36 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about how they did the actual designing of the characters... There was no actual makeup or prosthetics in the filming.. it's all CGI done with Facial Performance Replacement on site.

for recreating it for cosplay, you'll probably end up needing to create a mask or something that you apply to the face to make it workable.

Hey moonflower! Yeah I agree I plan on making a latex prosthetic for the nose. I think I can get away with the eyes just gotta find good contact lens

KohakuWolf
12-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I am so psyched to see that there are others who think that it would be super awesome to cosplay the Na'vi!! :D The first time I saw the movie, I kept leaning over to my friend and saying "I can't wait to see someone cosplay this!" because I knew it would happen eventually. :p

An Avatar cosplay would be a very impressive feat because of the height and physical proportions as well as the facial structure. Usually, people can cosplay tall characters like Ilfrit or Optimus Prime with stilts, but since the Na'vi are humanoids with somewhat normal-sized legs, it would be very difficult to incorporate stilts into the costume.

Not to mention the fact that the Na'vi are extremely thin and have very long torsos.... I think only those graced with similar body builds will be able to pull this off successfully, but regardless, I'd love to see ANYONE take a stab at an Avatar cosplay. :)

Arynus
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes. Absolutely yes.

I'll be planning a Na'vi cosplay in the future, though I don't know if it'll be Naytiri or an original Na'vi. We'll see. : D

Bahzi
12-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Not to mention the fact that the Na'vi are extremely thin and have very long torsos.... I think only those graced with similar body builds will be able to pull this off successfully, but regardless, I'd love to see ANYONE take a stab at an Avatar cosplay. :)

This. I don't think the height issue is a problem unless you'd be posing next to anything that would be a point of reference scale-wise, like with human characters or indoor scenery, it wasn't overly apparent that the Na'vi were 10' tall when they weren't shown next to humans.

Like KohakuWolf said though, having their proportions is a lot more important, only very slender individuals with narrow hips would look right for these characters, even slightly shapely figures would make the height disparity really obvious. So, unfortunately for many of us, no amount of gym time will yield a proper 'Na'vi-esque' physique, as some people, women especially, just tend to have more curvy figures, even if they're a healthy weight and have a good degree of muscle and a low percentage of body fat.

All the same, I hope someone who has that lithe, dancer type of body does this, it could be incredible! I would think an airbrushed matte bodysuit/unitard would be best to achieve the subtle striping and colorations, only doing blended make-up on the hands, feet, neck and face. Like someone else said, the war adornments could be worn to hide the seams, and the loincloths could be modified to hide where the tail attaches. I'd recommend using delrin rods for the tails, it's a type of super flexible plastic rod that would make the tail bounce around fluidly when walking/moving.

As for the ears, Aradani makes a similar looking prosthetic intended for fauns and satyrs that could work, and sclera contact lenses would help for making a cosplayer's eyes appear larger. There might be something similar already available in stock lenses, but if not, 9mmsfx would do a fantastic job on some customs. There's some custom latex cast cat nose prosthetics available from makers on deviantArt, and while they usually include a 'muzzle', that part could be cut off and the edges shaved down, or a Na'vi specific prosthetic commissioned. The brow piece that usually accompanies these prosthetics might be useful though, to help maintain a more feline face shape.

The Na'vi just look like a ton of fun to make honestly. I almost wish I knew someone locally who would make a good one, I'd like to make the costume and have them model it or something, haha.

Riooo
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I love it so hard, I'm absolutely thrilled about seeing some Na'vi at future cons. I'm thinking about it myself, I'd have a grand old time. Prosthetics and mess like this are more my style than sewing clothes, so this would be much more fun for me. I'm not worrying about proportions, other than the face and what not. I'd be a generic Avatar, myself, so I wouldn't need to worry about digits and the more extreme facial features of the Na'vi

Braithcakes
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I wont ever do it, granted, I have the correct body..but I don't like bodysuits, and I'm still a bit short I would just feel odd xD

airbrushing body paint would work very well if you're a makeup artist and use airbrushing alot :P

especially because their feet and hands aren't blue, but a purple-ish color.

also, if females want to wear a bit more clothing, the Na'vi priestess in the movie has more ordornments, a thicker head of hair which would make the wig easier, and has long fluffy sleeves.

EgnirysFaye
12-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I have thought about it, upon seeing some of the commercials (But first I would actually have to see the movie and find out if I like it XD plus might be a wee bit pricey)

I doubt it will happen on my part, but I would definitely give kudos to anyone who successfully completes a cosplay!

niyoh
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
its on my todo list, i've got everything figured out to!.
and i spent most of the time in cinema thinking of how i could cosplay them!.

moonflower.
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think i'll ever be thin enough to be perfect, but I'd love to attempt a Na'Vi costume for dragon*con 2011. We'll see how that one works out. hah

Jackofalltrades
12-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I just saw the movie and it was the first thing that crossed my mind! I thought of getting a wig and braiding it and doing the makeup, and how to make a tail, etc. It did not take me long to figure out that this one would be pretty involved and especially difficult if it is new and no one has done it yet, and you can't really take cues from examples.

It's far on the "To-Do" list, but I know it will be awesome and I can't wait to see someone take a whack at it.

Personally, as a huge LOZ fan I am very amused by the name and throughout the movie I couldn't help but think "HEY! LISTEN!!!"

Kenjin
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm currently planning to cosplay Jake as he appears when he first goes into the forest (human clothes and a gun). I'm nearly seven feet tall (so i'm freakishly tall next to people) and very slender with an elongated torso (I have an extra pair of ribs). So I believe this would be an opportune costume for me. Wish me luck!

BaraChan Rei
12-28-2009, 07:22 AM
I reaaaaally want to cosplay Neytiri. I'm surprisingly not intimidated by the challenge this costume entails, in spite of my ominous lack of skill with prosthetics and such... I'm slender and proportionately long-legged, but I'm obviously not 10 feet tall! The only true downer in my mind is that my hips are too wide! T__T

Kazukii
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing people do this.
And honestly think most people would be able to pull it off, if not as one of the tribe people, then one of the ones you first encounter out playing basketball or something - so then you can wear clothes still.
And height doesn't seem to be a big issue, the young ones are around 3-5ft or so.

Braithcakes
12-28-2009, 05:54 PM
well....in the movie(if you've seen it) some of te other tribes seem to have more clothing and body painting, which might make it easier.

Ive changed my mind, and am definitely up for trying it, but I really don't want to use a body suit, maybe....airbrushing? would that work?

the main problem is, prosthetics....I know someone who can help me make the nose and ears, but...my nose definitely sticks out like ahuman nose, and their noses are like a cat and flatter to the face, so I'm having trouble figuring out how I would go about that

Teh Pocky Ninja
12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
SWEET JESUS ON A STICK I ALREADY LOVE THIS THREAD.
And for once, my being tall and skinny and flat-chested will come in handy!
*ka-ching pose*
I've never actually tried a bodysuit cosplay before, but I don't think I'd try only using paint (the stuff rubs off and it is COLD here in VA...TT^TT). HOLY CRAP I WANT TO GLOW IN THE DARK DDDD:
And I'd also be making it a crossplay, because 1. I love Jake. I love him to death. He was an awesome character. and 2. the rest of the gang have these mohawk-dreadlock thinks going on with their hair and it'd cost me a leg and two kidneys to get that sewn into a bald cap (Katie Bair, anyone?) which would THEN have to be glued to the head...So yeah. Jake's pre-mohawk hair would make an awesome wig. NOT ONLY because of the little USB ports they got goin' on at the end of their braids.
HAY LITTLE GIRL HAVE YOU SEEN MY....TENTACLES?
Blue aliens FTW.
Aaaand...I'm rambling. Sorry. :D

Bahzi
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
well....in the movie(if you've seen it) some of te other tribes seem to have more clothing and body painting, which might make it easier.

Ive changed my mind, and am definitely up for trying it, but I really don't want to use a body suit, maybe....airbrushing? would that work?

the main problem is, prosthetics....I know someone who can help me make the nose and ears, but...my nose definitely sticks out like ahuman nose, and their noses are like a cat and flatter to the face, so I'm having trouble figuring out how I would go about that

Airbrushing could potentially work, if you had someone to do it for you every wearing; it's nearly impossible to airbrush many parts of your own body with any degree of consistency, even with mirrors. It would also take an immense amount of time for that kind of striping and shading. Even for a pro, that'd be a 2-3 hour job for every wearing. Another thing to keep in mind is that airbrush paints won't cover well over body hair (and can be painful and pull on hair as well), so you'd have to shave every bit of skin to be covered, which is just more prep time. It makes a lot more sense to just airbrush a high quality milliskin seamless bodysuit once, though I know nothing's going to look exactly like skin except skin, body suits can look amazing too (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/888211/).

As for prosthetics, most likely the best way to offset the length of your own human nose would be to have the flat cat nose prosthetic also include raised cheek pieces that taper to blend down to your own cheeks.

http://merkindesr.deviantart.com/art/My-cat-prosthetic-67055347

There's a cat face prosthetic that does that effect well. Though for the Na'vi, you wouldn't want the puffy lips/muzzle so much, but you would want a prosthetic that covers a good portion of your face, as the Na'vi have more feline features that just their noses, most of them seem to also have heavier brows and high angular cheek bones as well.

Braithcakes
12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
true true, and I wouldn't be doing multiple wearing, only one at a really big con and for a photoshoot ((my makeup artist friend would be helping me))

KohakuWolf
12-29-2009, 01:01 AM
I think custom contact lenses may be the only plausible solution for an accurate Na'vi cosplay. My wallet weeps at this fact. XD I spent a good half an hour or so hunting for lenses that resembled their eyes in the movie, and this was the best I could find: http://www.fashion-contactlenses.com/vampire-louis-contact-lenses-1624-0.html :[
Nevertheless, I'm seriously planning to do an Avatar cosplay. It probably won't be the best, since I'm not all that tall and not thin in the extreme, but I'll definitely give it my all and do the best with what I CAN control. :)

And as for the specific character... for those of you who have seen the movie, do you remember when Jake is gathering the different clans and he goes to speak to the clan with all of the banshees? The leader of that clan was a woman Na'vi who was only given a few moments of screentime, but I personally thought she was awesome. She had red war paint designs covering her chest and shoulders and I thought she looked even more beautiful than Neytiri. If I can find any screenshots of her around, she's the one I'd like to cosplay. :D

eisblitz
12-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Just saw the movie yesterday and besides how amasing it is. There will be few people who have the right body type and can really pull it off well. Not to say that others shouldn't also attempt it. If you're short, you can just be one of the kids from the movie.

Uchiha Sakura
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh man I am so up for this cosplay! :D I will be doing Neytiri. I'm already starting to plan it out. I probably won't have this one done till August. I maybe working out 2 Na'vi costumes at the same time. I'll be using a bodysuit for this I believe.

I don't know much about bodysuits. How would you go about air brushing a bodysuit? I'll also search for a thread about it just thought I would ask here too.

Braithcakes
12-31-2009, 04:04 PM
oh, just so you guys know if you didn't hear, the Na'Vi language is obtaininga dictionary sometime in 2010 potentially and will become an official language just like lord of the rings elven and klingon :'D

Bokimu
01-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Honestly, a Na'Vi cosplay was the first thing that crossed my mind ^^;;

Although I could never pull it off, I did get ideas about how to make the nose and ears and I was thinking about maybe I could convince a friend of mine who is very tall and slender to do one.

Kiwi54
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys Check this site out.

http://www.thisisbrandx.com/2009/12/geek-speak-learn-navi-the-alien-language-of-avatar.html

It has a list of words in Na'vi and How to Pronounce them. Also scroll down and you'll see some links to some other sites that can help you learn Na'vi

edit:
Jackpot! check this site out!!! 500 Na'vi words and more to come

http://www.learnnavi.org/navi-vocabulary/

Tall_Yote
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I was made for this!

I am planning on a Na'Vi costume for this upcoming DragonCon. Luckily, I seem to have all the requirements.

I am 6'10" and 215 pounds, so I am slender (not scrawny) and very tall, so even with other people around I won't look "normal".

My wife is a costumer that works with both unitards and body paint with her own airbrush, so the plan would to be airbrushed on my skin and have her make me custom prosthetics. I unfortunately will have to shave anywhere I have exposed so it looks right, but that is the price I will have to pay.

The clothing we make will depend on how naked I want to be... I am not comfortable with the whole thong-loincloth thing, so may try to go for a more tribal warrior skirt look. Will require some sketches and watching the movie again.

After that we just need to make a wig and get contacts. When we do a run of the makeup (probably before prosthetics) I will be sure to post pics.

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I was made for this!

I am planning on a Na'Vi costume for this upcoming DragonCon. Luckily, I seem to have all the requirements.

I am 6'10" and 215 pounds, so I am slender (not scrawny) and very tall, so even with other people around I won't look "normal".

My wife is a costumer that works with both unitards and body paint with her own airbrush, so the plan would to be airbrushed on my skin and have her make me custom prosthetics. I unfortunately will have to shave anywhere I have exposed so it looks right, but that is the price I will have to pay.

The clothing we make will depend on how naked I want to be... I am not comfortable with the whole thong-loincloth thing, so may try to go for a more tribal warrior skirt look. Will require some sketches and watching the movie again.

After that we just need to make a wig and get contacts. When we do a run of the makeup (probably before prosthetics) I will be sure to post pics.

Oh my god, you lucky duck. What I would give for a friend/family member to be into costumes :( Especially for something this cool...

ANYHOO. Has anyone here ever ordered paint from http://www.aradanicostumes.com/adhesives.php#rmgmakeup before? I'd like to know if their latex-safe paints are any good... (Considering it'd be nigh impossible to find a kitty nose/ears in that perfect shade of blue...)

Kazephyr
01-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I love bodysuits, prosthetics, and contacts... I has found joy. *_*

I don't think body is that tremendous an issue with Na'vi cosplay, honestly... Very, very few people have the exact body of a character, so I think the look could easily be pulled off by the more curvy. :)

I'm going to look into shapewear for my hips to wear beneath a unitard, though, if I can hide it well enough... It was a technique I heard about for crossplay, to make a woman look less "shapely". XD Oh well, at least I'm tall. XD

Tom DePetrillo
01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I am soooo going to make an Amp Suit with an angry marine inside it , about 10 ft when I am done. So if there are any tall skinny people out there( who like blue paint) talk to me about a photo shoot and which cons you are going to

OMGwyn
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who though "OMG I NEED TO COSPLAY THIS"
Unfortunately I'm only 5ft 4-ish and I got a little more curve to me then your typical Na'Vi.
But hey, I'm good with walking around partly nude. Though taking in mind con policies I'll remained clothed xD
I'm familiar with prosthetics. I have Vulcan ear tips I use and they are pretty easy to put on, so I may look into that feline facial prosthetic and some new ears.
What kinda has me concerned is the body suit... eBay has some good ones, I got a black satsuit for my Julia cosplay. Maybe if I can find a blue one and paint on the details?
Though this air brushing idea seems to be the best way to go, but uh... where do I get this and how the heck do I do it?

WingedCheetah
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Silly me!

Although it crossed my mind, I hadn't actually considered *seriously doing* a Na'vi cosplay until I came across this thread. :p :)

So, I'm planning a Na'vi cosplay because of you people for 2010 Comic Con. At this point, I'm leaning more towards Original Na'vi and bodypaint. Also, I'm horribly inexperienced. Completely going in over my head here! :D

Arynus
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I would love to see some Na'vi done, too, but, for myself? I'm going to wait to see what others do, so I know what is a good idea and what is a not-so-good idea, costume-wise. Plus, a little inspiration from seeing fellow cosplayers pulling it off (hopefully) isn't bad to get me started, after a while. : D

sexyyuki22
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I too am planning to do a Na'vi cosplay, I've already started on the face casting so that I can make the proper prostetics. I will probably be going to aim at airbrushing the bodypaint on with the use of prostetic sleeves over stilts to give me the increased height as well as lengthing the proportions of my body to closely match those of the movie.

MiamiSurfer
01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I am new here on the board, this forum has caught my eye regarding the Avatar cosplay. I am in fact planning to got to Dragoncon 2010 as Jake (RDA outfit). After seeing Avatar three times, it's a great idea to cosplay as a Na'Vi. I am 6 feet tall and going to cosplay in my own height. An just to workout in everything imaginable to get properly toned.

I am debating to do the tribal version, and I think a bodysuit with enough suppression might be the best bet because body paint can rub off in various condition and weather. I am not certain if it's water resistance (or sweat) if it gets hot. Does anyone know what type of airbrush paint is recommendated for fabric? I have only had experience with automobile paint for custom flames on hoods.

I am stuck with how to pull off the prosthetics. Is there anyone here recommend any pointers? I am going to resort to using alginate to mold my face, and build it from there. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Matthew R. Cywinski (Miamisurfer)

KatieAriel
01-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I am going to MegaCon as a na'vi this year. I have the faun ears from Aradani studios, but I was curious about how you guys thought the nose should be approached. I havent really come up with anything yet.
luckily Im thin, so I have the build. I was planning on using body paint and making some sort of bikini/native inspired dress--considering the way the na'vi dress isnt exactly con appropriate.

unless you think a leotard would be effective if it was dyed and painted. ideas welcome.
also, was thinking of using latex body paint, but if anyone knows of any other good body pain brands that wont just dissappear, thatd be just as awesome.

Avatar is such a gorgeous film, I look forward to seeing shoots from it later on this year from upcoming cons!

KatieAriel
01-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Oh my god, you lucky duck. What I would give for a friend/family member to be into costumes :( Especially for something this cool...

ANYHOO. Has anyone here ever ordered paint from http://www.aradanicostumes.com/adhesives.php#rmgmakeup before? I'd like to know if their latex-safe paints are any good... (Considering it'd be nigh impossible to find a kitty nose/ears in that perfect shade of blue...)

I've worked with Aradani in the past--my elf ears are custom painted with their latex paints and they're fairly reliable. never had any problems. I'm not sure how it would work on skin though. I was thinking of using them as well.

Tall_Yote
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Some thoughts for you all as you go along the process, regarding paint vs bodysuit.

A bodysuit may be easier to paint, and more comfortable and quicker to put on at a con or event. It won't move like your skin, but at a distance it can still look good. It also allows for potential hiding of body modifying garments. The trick is to get the makeup on the face to match the rest, or it will not meld well.

Body paint will look the best, if done well. Unfortunately, I have seen a great deal of poorly done makeup, and it can look pretty bad at many distances if not done well. So if you want to go this route and you are not highly skilled, get practice or a friend to help.

Though my wife makes custom unitards and does an excellent job painting them (she sends out a lot of CATS fan costumes), we are going to practice with airbrush body painting, because in the end it will look more like the movie characters, and I am not in need of body shaping outside of what the makeup can do.

So, moral of the story, go with what in the end will create a better look for your body and your skill set.

MiamiSurfer
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I am going to MegaCon as a na'vi this year. I have the faun ears from Aradani studios, but I was curious about how you guys thought the nose should be approached. I havent really come up with anything yet.
luckily Im thin, so I have the build. I was planning on using body paint and making some sort of bikini/native inspired dress--considering the way the na'vi dress isnt exactly con appropriate.

unless you think a leotard would be effective if it was dyed and painted. ideas welcome.
also, was thinking of using latex body paint, but if anyone knows of any other good body pain brands that wont just dissappear, thatd be just as awesome.

Avatar is such a gorgeous film, I look forward to seeing shoots from it later on this year from upcoming cons!

KatieAriel,

I am wondering the same thing regarding that nose piece. I have been doing tons of research with that; looking all over the net, and going through a stage make up book. If else all fails, I will even assemble the appliance from scratch. That is a last resort is there is no places that would sell or customize them. The only way I would go about that is to look, but I will keep you posted. :)

As for the body, using body latex paint would be very cool since it would look more natural. As for the con policy, I feel the leotard/bodysuit would be a good option. I am trying to pull off the Jake Sully na'vi warrior version seen during the final climatic fight. And I am going to attempt to mix a compatible fabric paint with the bodysuit's material to match the teal facial/arm Ben Nye face grease. I will apply that by using an airbrush, then to add on the stripes for layering.

I hope this helps out, I will continue to research more today. And Avatar is a very good film. I look forward to seeing what you come up with too:)

Best,

Matthew R. Cywinski

MDA
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of cosplaying from Avatar. Even while I was sitting there in the theater watching it I kept thinking to myself "I have to do a cosplay from this movie."

Admittedly, Nyteri is my favourite from the entire film, but I'm nowhere near skinny enough to be her (especially when you consider how little she wears). So I'm opting for one of the Na'vi avatars. Either Grace, or the other guy whose name escapes me, but he helps in the final battle in the movie. I'll probably do Grace as that way I wouldn't have to be bound, but I'd still wear a body suit for her as she has shorts, and her Stanford shirt shows her stomach and good portion of her chest. Though I'll probably need a bit of binding anyway since the Na'vi women (even the avatars) don't have that large of chests.

I think for me, the tail and ears will be the hardest part. I've already figured out the nose, how to do the bodysuit paint and face paint, and even make my hand appear to be three fingers and a thumb.

Uchiha Sakura
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
@MDA: would you be willing to suggest idea's for the nose and face paint if you have it figured out? it seems that that is what everyone is having problems with.

KatieAriel
01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
ditto. ideas are very very welcome.
as for binding, thats why I'm sticking with the leotard idea, they naturally bind you down a bit. the morning of megacon ought to be interesting though, I dont have an airbrush....so its going to have to be all hand applied.
from what I'm hearing ben nye is alright for use on your face, right?

I was watching hellboy the other day, and dougie (abe sapien) has a plastic piece over his nose to press it down, that they then covered with the prosthetic. maybe something like that would work? if you painted over it. wouldnt be perfect, but at least the profile would be closer to being accurate.

Riooo
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm planning on airbrushing a bodysuit- but does anyone know where I might find one with fingers and toes but no hood? I have only found zentai, and if I don't need to cut it, I don't want to. I'm going as a generic avatar, so I'll be able to wear whatever clothes are appropriate for whatever con.

appliances shouldn't be too hard, I've worked with latex before and done a fair amount of molding and casting. Might purchase ears though, that seems a little less simple. The tail is where I'm stuck. I want it to be appropriate length, but I don't want it to drag; I'd like it to have some shape and bounce. anyone know of a material I could run through the tail?

KatieAriel
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
@Riooo, I was giving it similar though, I came up with either lightweight pvc piping (it has a natural curve since it comes in spools and flexes easily) or lightweight wire.

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm planning on airbrushing a bodysuit- but does anyone know where I might find one with fingers and toes but no hood? I have only found zentai, and if I don't need to cut it, I don't want to. I'm going as a generic avatar, so I'll be able to wear whatever clothes are appropriate for whatever con.

appliances shouldn't be too hard, I've worked with latex before and done a fair amount of molding and casting. Might purchase ears though, that seems a little less simple. The tail is where I'm stuck. I want it to be appropriate length, but I don't want it to drag; I'd like it to have some shape and bounce. anyone know of a material I could run through the tail?

Screenshot of love. (http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/101/1016599/avatar-the-game-20090821023654807_640w.jpg) Ok, yes, it's from the admittedly-terrible game (and here they kind of look like mouse tails), but shots from the film are pretty darn elusive on accounta it not being released on DVD yet... :lost: The tail length would depend entirely on how tall you are, but if my memory of the films serves, they're still pretty slinky and cat-like with little fur tufties (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/jamesbighead4/Avatar-dvd.jpg) at the end. :geek:

Tall_Yote
01-05-2010, 10:17 PM
As for the tail:

This issue is that it is so long and thin, so you are limited on materials and ability to make it look natural and not look like a stiff stick out of your posterior. You also need it fairly light weight, as for how long it is it will feel very heavy very fast.

My initial thoughts would be thick gauge fence wire (zinc coating to avoid internal rust) through foam, perhaps even pipe insulation. This may give a nice bit of bounce, and you can bend the wore so you can get the end shape required, or even adjust it for shape after construction. Even do it on sections.

Secondary (from my wife) is a bar of delrin, or a tube of it, something that can be heated with a torch and bent to shape, but still relatively lightweight and with a bit of a spring to it.

That and a belt that goes under whatever you are wearing to be decent and you are fine.

Limeyaku
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
i didnt really like the movie, but itll be neat to see some costumes.

check this out for inspiration...mindblowing. O_O

http://theeffectslab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12771

KatieAriel
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
@Limeyaku
wow....thats gorgeous! I'd love to know what they used on the nose though, and how they did it. it looks fantastic

TechieCL
01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Might be considered a shameless plug, but if anyone is doing Avatar Jake in the RDA clothes or just an RDA trooper. I've got a 1:1 scale resin M-60 I'm willing to sell; same model used as the basis for the light machine they handheld and humans used as door guns for the Scorpions and pintle mounted on the Dragon Gunship.

MDA
01-06-2010, 01:58 AM
This is what I'm actually thinking of doing for the nose for the Na'vi. It might not be 100% for everyone, but I did this when I was little for a costume and I wanted a flat nose (yay for discovering face-altering techniques when 7!)

1. Take skin tape and gently place it over your nose, flattening it slightly. Repeat until you have it as flat as you want, making sure that you can still breathe.

2. Taking the prosthetic nose cover made (the one I made when I was 7 was cardboard and paper, so I'm not sure how well that would work for a Na'vi nose), using double sided tape (or something really sticky, because you will sweat and might be itchy there), put it to the end of your nose, and smooth up to blend with the rest of your face.

3. Do any final touch ups with makeup, cleaning, etc. If you're using face paint, do this BEFORE you apply it. Always a good idea since this is going over top.

---

I figure that's probably what I'll do. I found it effective for my alien warrior costume when I was little, so it might work even now. But it takes a lot of testing to do it. Though when I did it as a kid, I used electric tape to flatten my nose. Hurts to take that off.

Hope that's of any help!! But like I said, I'm not sure if this will work for everyone.

KatieAriel
01-06-2010, 04:53 AM
thats close to what i was thinking. i was gonna use plastic rather than tape though. maybe some sort of foam to widen the bridge of my nose?

Tall_Yote
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
thats close to what i was thinking. i was gonna use plastic rather than tape though. maybe some sort of foam to widen the bridge of my nose?

Being that you want it to look like your skin so when it is painted it will look the same as the rest of your face, and if you don't want to make a latex/foam prosthetic from a life-cast, then you may want to look into mortician's putty. Useful for facial modification, and will paint a lot better (blend with the rest of your skin tone) than tape or foam.

I hadn't thought about flattening the front of my nose, it is an interesting idea. Would make the prosthetic process a bit harder as my face cast has a normal shaped nose, but I might mess around with it. My concern is comfort and how it may restrict breathing.

Kiwi54
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm think about having my hair braided for this. I thot about a braided wig, but I think it would just look a bit more natural to have my hair braid. Which leads me to a bit of a snag, how am I going to color my scalp blue? I thot about like actually getting a bluecolor rinse and coloring my scalp that way, but i don't know how effective that will be on darker skin.

KatieAriel
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
oooo, thats a toughie.
i guess the thing to do would be to get blue powder and brush it up into your hairline and wherever else your scalp is showing.

Riooo
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
For the tail: what about pool noodle? With delrin rod or some sort of wire run along it. Clearly I'd only want a strip of the foam shaped to my needs, but it's lightweight with appropriate give and swing. Do you think it would work?

I'd like it attached to the bodysuit (I intend to cover it with lycra or whatever I end up getting for rest of the suit), maybe I could put some kind of snaps in the undergarments (I'm thin but not so willowy, I intend to wear body shaping unders) so it doesn't shift around too much.

Facial appliance: I'm gonna do a lifecast and make a nice latex piece, but the tape over the nose sounds smart, could help me out in making it look less tacked on.

D00R
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
i didnt really like the movie, but itll be neat to see some costumes.

check this out for inspiration...mindblowing. O_O

KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

miyavilover666
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I am also doing a Na'vi for Dragoncon!
I will be doing Neytari.
I will however NOT be using a bodysuit. I have too much experiance with body suits to even slightly believe that it could look right. I will be doing mine with airbrushing. I will be latexing the underwear and sticky bra to me to make it appear seamless. Then airbrushing over it. I can't wait for this! I am using my real hair just spending a lot of time on the braids. I will be doing the nose with a silicon prosthetic or i will just be editing another prosthetic.
I can't wait!

D00R
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaJdq0VUtk

Na'vi wannabe
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't usually do this kind of thing, but am considering doing this for Avatar. I didn't know there was such a thing as nose tape, will look into that. To hold the nose down I was thinking of a thin rigid piece of plastic that would fit over the nose and have string or something tied tightly around the back of the head, with a buildup of prosthetic material on top of and around the nose area to give a flattened low profile appearance + high cheekbones. I was thinking of being one of the RDA Science team avatars so as to justify the use of large, close fitting sunglasses with a very wide bridge to accommodate the prosthetic and suggest Na'vi like eyes.
This is because I don't think there is a good solution for the eyes. Unless you're a giant squid with an extra chromosome they just won't be large enough or far enough apart.

KatieAriel
01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
there really isnt anything you can do with your eyes, besides walk around looking surprised all day XD
thats just something you have or you dont. some people have naturally wide, expressive eyes, some dont. I dont think its really overly important. contacts would help, and if you think about it, the Avatars have more human like proportions than the Na'vi. If you're worried about the size of your eyes, worry about the fingers as well, notice the na'vi have 4 fingers on each hand (3fingers and thumb) while the avatars have human hands.

Na'vi wannabe
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
If you're worried about the size of your eyes, worry about the fingers as well, notice the na'vi have 4 fingers on each hand (3fingers and thumb) while the avatars have human hands.

That's another reason why I will go as an avatar rather than a true Na'vi. Also, if I go as an avatar, I might be able to conceal stilts or something (I don't know much about stilts) under a pair of pants like the ones Jake has when he first goes out into the Pandoran jungle. I'm only 6' but I have a very long torso for my height so I should be able to add a fair amount of length to my legs without looking disproportionate.

KatieAriel
01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
true true. you can also hide the size of your torso/make it longer if you wear long narrow shirts.
won't work sitting of course, but it adds to the illusion at least. or clothes that arent really waist-defining. but if you can pull it off, stilts would be cool.

OH! you guys know a cheap contact source that does perscriptions? I can find any for under 200$. and thats just ridiculous. and I also happen to have crappy eyesight, so perscriptions are needed.

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
If you're worried about the size of your eyes, worry about the fingers as well, notice the na'vi have 4 fingers on each hand (3fingers and thumb) while the avatars have human hands.

I totally did not notice that before 0_o Thanks~

Kiwi54
01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
there really isnt anything you can do with your eyes, besides walk around looking surprised all day XD
thats just something you have or you dont. some people have naturally wide, expressive eyes, some dont. I dont think its really overly important. contacts would help, and if you think about it, the Avatars have more human like proportions than the Na'vi. If you're worried about the size of your eyes, worry about the fingers as well, notice the na'vi have 4 fingers on each hand (3fingers and thumb) while the avatars have human hands.

I remember on Top Model on time, they changed the shape of this one girl's eyes to make them slanted by adding this type of eye tape. I'm sure if someone can apply it to the right spot the can make their eyes look more open.

KatieAriel
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
@Teh_POcky_Ninja
another small thing the Na'vi dont have eyebrows. I know. random. but for those f you who want to be perfect.

@Kiwi54
hmmmm....you could be onto something there.....

Tall_Yote
01-07-2010, 01:18 AM
@Teh_POcky_Ninja
another small thing the Na'vi dont have eyebrows. I know. random. but for those f you who want to be perfect.

Either will have to paint over them, shave them, or apply latex/prosthetic/wax work to hide them. Although I am going to have to do a GREAT deal of shaving (hairy arms for the Na'Vi will not look good), I still want to keep my eyebrows, so I don't get weird looks at work.

KatieAriel
01-07-2010, 02:47 AM
hahaha Ive contemplated waxing my eyebrows, but I work for Disney, and their dress code is really strict. so thats not gonna work. at all.

I'm tempted to try the elmers glue thing and then put latex paint over them.....think itll work.
in theory anyway

Tall_Yote
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
What I meant for wax was not the skin removal, but to cover the eyebrows with a thin layer of wax. I believe my wife called it blocking. The wax/putty is easy to paint (like mortician's wax) and made to match skin tone.

I have never heard of the Elmer's glue approach, sounds like it would get stiff/uncomfortable. I am trying to go the most comfortable route possible.

My start is slow on this project, waiting to for casting materials to come in, as I want to try the prothetic and makeup stuff before working on the tail/clothing/hair.

OMGwyn
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I've used elmer's stick glue for my Spock cosplay, cause I wasn't all too sure about shaving off my brows xD

Heres the tutorial I used. Ha ha enjoy <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-DgezT3-Uk

Kiwi54
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
hahaha Ive contemplated waxing my eyebrows, but I work for Disney, and their dress code is really strict. so thats not gonna work. at all.

I'm tempted to try the elmers glue thing and then put latex paint over them.....think itll work.
in theory anyway

Ahhh you work for Disney? Sweet I did an internship there. Are DL or WDW?

Na'vi wannabe
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
What sort of advice would you all give to someone who has never done anything like this before? Other than plan well ahead and do some test runs.

KatieAriel
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
@Kiwi54
haha thats what I'm doing! the internship. I'm down in Orlando.
I like it here though, I'll probably stay with Disney after the internship ends.

Tall_Yote
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
What sort of advice would you all give to someone who has never done anything like this before? Other than plan well ahead and do some test runs.

I would think about which route suits you best, the body-paint or the unitard path. If you have friends to help, what are thier strengths, or anyone you know that you can learn from? Once you figure that out, then work on the prosthetic work and so forth.

Na'vi wannabe
01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I think I'll go the body paint route. Wearing pants should reduce total workload quite a bit. As for help, I'm definitely going to ask for advice from one of my sisters. She's done makeup and costume design for a few plays.

KatieAriel
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I wouldnt do pants, unless youre doing an RDA avatar.
ballet tights would be a good way to go, then you could just slip them on.

Na'vi wannabe
01-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I'm doing an RDA avatar from the science team, like the guys that Jake bumps into when he rushes outside. Pandorapedia says that there are twenty avatars in total.

~Alandra~
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Ive been thinking of different ideas on how I could cosplay Neytiri, but anyways, going back to the whole making your eyes looking a bit more bigger is, you can put white eyeliner along the bottom of your eyes, on your water line, and it will give you the illusion of having a bit wider bit of eyes

OMGwyn
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I've been trying to find a place to get a good facial prosthetic.
Preferably ones that aren't already painted, granted I could always just paint over it.
I found this place.

http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=318

You can buy the piece unpainted. My only concern is that little bit under the nose.
Since the Na'Vi are more feline like in their appearance, thats what I was looking for.
But that little bit under the nose is kinda throwing me off. i'm curious for some input before I buy it.

Tall_Yote
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
As I am doing a quick check from work I am not looking at it in great detail, but most latex and foam prosthetics can be trimmed, though if it is foam you will want to put some latex on the trimmed area to seal it and make it look smooth. So if that is all that is between you and a look you think would work, you can always edit it yourself.

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I've been trying to find a place to get a good facial prosthetic.
Preferably ones that aren't already painted, granted I could always just paint over it.
I found this place.

http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=318

You can buy the piece unpainted. My only concern is that little bit under the nose.
Since the Na'Vi are more feline like in their appearance, thats what I was looking for.
But that little bit under the nose is kinda throwing me off. i'm curious for some input before I buy it.

I would think, since they're just latex, you could mold over that bit at the bottom to make it less obvious. Other than that, those masks are actually pretty useful-looking... 0_o

moonflower.
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I found some online that are actually totally perfect, so I'm excited to try it out.. they even have the flattened nose bridge and everything. I'm aiming to get it in the next few months.

OMGwyn
01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys!
I have liquid latex that I'm pretty good with.
And spirit gum to attach it.
So I think I'll be fine.

Once I order it and get it I'll do a makeup test and put up some pictures for everyone whos interested <3

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I found some online that are actually totally perfect, so I'm excited to try it out.. they even have the flattened nose bridge and everything. I'm aiming to get it in the next few months.

Really? May you share your good fortune with the rest of us & post the store link? :3

KatieAriel
01-09-2010, 12:37 AM
@MoonFlower
oh please, if youve found good sources, please do share.

@Eru-Chan
that is a good find. even if its not perfect, but it at least gives you a base to work from

moonflower.
01-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Now that I look at it again, the fur texture could through it off.. if you cut away the rest of the horror-esque part of the foam latex, I think it could work. I'll keep looking through.

http://graftobian.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1457&catId=2149

KatieAriel
01-09-2010, 02:04 AM
@moonflower
it's the right shape...could be a little big for most faces from looks of it, but deffinately a possibility. I think it could work.

moonflower.
01-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah.. I'm searching to see if I can find any better options, but I think that one will be my fall-back plan.

moonflower.
01-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Oh, and just be really glad that all of us in here already inherently have better costumes and makeup than this girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaJdq0VUtk

Do not watch that if you are eating, drinking, or in a place where you cannot laugh hysterically.

But, on the other hand, this is an AMAZING avatar costume..

who else really wants to email that guy and beg him to help them make it? I really do.

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Now that I look at it again, the fur texture could through it off.. if you cut away the rest of the horror-esque part of the foam latex, I think it could work. I'll keep looking through.

http://graftobian.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1457&catId=2149

Oh, wow. O_O You'd quite literally only need to hack off the stuff around it, and that would be absolutely perfect. Great find! :bigtu:

Tall_Yote
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Aye, that seems to be the best prosthetic for purchase posted here for this application. best of course would to do one on your own so it fits correctly, but if you don't have the resources for such than this looks very useful.

sarah mudo
01-10-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm so glad people are cosplaying from this!

MiamiSurfer
01-11-2010, 03:02 AM
I totally agree! It is such a challenge to re-create the na'vi.

I have found some amazing video on youtube of a Russian woman who decided to do a cool photo shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HytUHxls94&feature=response_watch

I am still figuring out the nose appliance. And does anyone know what to do with the eyebrows?

_MiamiSurfer

MiamiSurfer
01-11-2010, 12:59 PM
KatieAriel, that's cool you work at Disney as an intern. I heard it's very cold down there as of the last few days.

And sarah mudo, I feel the same way. With the way word of mouth is getting around, I think this is one cosplay that will stick for a long time. :)

I have found a few things I think it will be some inspiration as we are figuring out how to assemble the na'vi costume.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SirenArt#p/a/u/0/4HytUHxls94

http://www.youtube.com/user/KlairedelysArt#p/u/12/Dxib3XondD0

I hope you all enjoy this.

tereshkova2001
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
My biggest concern, besides cost of custom contacts and airbrush equipment, is running afoul of con or venue staff. The rules tend to be "keep it PG-13" and "lack of costume is not a costume." If I'm being screen-accurate, I'd be wearing a necklace and a loincloth, showing my entire butt and a fair amount of breasts. The movie is rated PG-13, but I'm still worried about getting sent off to change. (I'm comfortable wearing that little, but I understand not everyone wants to see it.)
What are those of you wearing body paint planning to do in that regard?

And an early idea I'll share: I'm considering stringing UV LEDs along the interior curve of a bow, so I can shine blacklight on myself and activate fluorescent paint for the bioluminescence.

KatieAriel
01-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I was thinking about blacklight paint for the bioluminescence.
as far as body paint goes, I'm using a leotard--yes Im going to modify it quite a bit. the other idea I was toying with was a bikini bottom with those sillicone bra cups--attached with spirit gum and painted over.

but yes, getting told to change could be an issue--I know people who have been asked to change because of open-chest binding, and the cosplay wasnt overly revealing at all.

in other news, my ears arrived today. I have to trim them down a bit and adjust the angle the rest on my head, but I'm very happy with them. I'm not going to paint them until I get the body paint though--just to make sure they match.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs167.snc3/19455_249041966174_650226174_3732227_2149390_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs187.snc3/19455_249042331174_650226174_3732228_6386050_n.jpg

shadestrike
01-12-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm definitely going to be working on a Na'vi cosplay for SDCC. Whether I finish it in time for this year or not is probably going to depend on my budget (I have a pretty high perscription, so theatrical contacts are a bear to find).

I also have a friend who is 6 foot 9. I'm pretty handy with an airbrush, so I'm going to see if he will sit still for and hour or five and let me make him a member of the Blue Man group. As an artist, it would be a lot more satisfying to make someone else into the Na'vi, because then I could get all the little details right. And because airbrushing your own butt doesn't sound too easy.

As a possible resource to a lot of you where latex facial appliances may not be an option: Pertilude's Leopard Mask Makeup tutorial could help define those feline characteristics, especially around the nose. You could use the highlighting techniques he talks about to help bring out the angular cheekbones and high browbones. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLKghaYHaA

Na'vi wannabe
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
How many different routes are there when it comes to making prosthetics? Are the only worthwhile options latex or buying a mask?

Kiwi54
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
This is a great and easy way for making a latex nose prosthesis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illlheX-uO4

I think I will be definitely going this route for the Navi nose and brow if i can't afford anything else.

edit:

also is this tutorial:

http://www.makeup-fx.com/mirakeleng4.html

I really like this tutorial as well, and i think I would like to mix the processes of these two. And here's a site where you can but the monster makers Latex foam:

http://www.monstermakers.com/product/the-monster-makers-foam-latex-system.html

They have a quart size for only $30 which I think is the perfect amount to make the nose and brow.
Haha going this route looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new food mixer too!

KatieAriel
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
@Kiwi54
nice! those links are really helpful....I wasnt planning on making my own prosthetic, but I'm tempted. might turn out to be cheaper.

MiamiSurfer
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I am planning to do the same thing. I think it's best to take a stab at it first, to see if it works. It will be something fun and to learn something new from this process.

I have to study more of the face to see if I need to add more facial appliances to alter and resemble more of the na'vi. I guess the wintertime won't allow me to go out as much, so this gives me a reason to stay in!

MiamiSurfer

Na'vi wannabe
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for these links! Very informative.

kitsunilla
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi! I've been watching this thread for a little while, and finally decided to join in. :D

Anyway, I was doing some searching for prosthetics, and it would seem that Aradani Costumes (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/) is currently working on making prosthetics specifically for Na'vi costumes!

They talk about their progress here (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/article_avatar_navi.php).

Just thought I'd share. :)

MiamiSurfer
01-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Yes, I have learned alot from these. :)

Kiwi54
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh check this out. can have many useful applications
http://www.clubbertoys.com/acatalog/UV-FACE-BODY-PAINT.html

here's a funny but great demo of it ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaZ-dHEu6s

And question, isn't there anyone who sells body paint like in an aresol (sp?) form? Like regular spray paint but for skin?

Chocobo chic
01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I watched the movie with some friends and they all suggested that i should make a Neytiri cosplay. Im 5'7 and only weigh 110 Lbs so the body type\height department is not going to be a problem. I also decided to go with body paint (three ppl are going to work on me at once) Downside is that this will be for one photoshoot only because of the time it will consume and the expense of getting my hair braided. I have loads of free time, so I have already started with the jewelry.Process photos will be posted for the necklaces and props. Im working very fast, so i should be done by the end of Febuary but it wil also depend on when the rainy season ends here in Puerto Rico for the photoshoot.

Kiwi54
01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
If y'all didn't see saturday night live they had a sketch about avatar. And they had some pretty good costumes for the Jake and Neytiri using only body suits:

http://www.hulu.com/collections/361/121065

KatieAriel
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm starting to think about using a catsuit....it would deffinately be easier to get on and off, and for multiple uses.
those actually dont look half bad. you can tell they;re a suit...but theyre pretty seamless

tereshkova2001
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Anyway, I was doing some searching for prosthetics, and it would seem that Aradani Costumes (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/) is currently working on making prosthetics specifically for Na'vi costumes!

Thank you for sharing! I will be watching their progress closely.

Further ideas I've had: use a stencil to paint stripes on over a solid blue coat of makeup. It would be faster, nicer looking, and require less effort from the paint crew. I'm still trying to come up with a good stencil material, ideally something I could tape down or hold down without disturbing the base coat.

I also came up with a fix for the con decency issue, which is to bring a college tank top and a skirt and throw those on over the makeup, if asked to change. If Sigourney Weaver can wear a shirt from her alma mater on Pandora, so can I. :)

Chocobo chic
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I saw the catsuits but i didnt like them much.I think with paint a more natural look can be acheived, but then it also depends how many times you plan on using the cosplay and who paints you.
The stencil idea is a good one, especially if air brushing is involved. I think posterboard is a good marerial for its toughness and easy handling and with enough hands, tape will not be necissary.

Kiwi54
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah the side seam can really throw it off. Here' this one forum I came across that was talking about seamless bodysuits:

http://forum.andyelycra.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=6334&sid=81efc9aa5eff19db61088b359b3b30fa

maybe this can help?

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
http://puss--in--boots.deviantart.com/art/na-vi-150211332
Another person who pulled it off rather well :3

Toruk Maktoyu
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Kaltx aysmukan s aysmuke, oel ayngati kameie.
Hello brothers and sisters, I see you(s).

There's some Na'vi for you guys, I've been studying it.

Anywho, I came to this site searching Google for some good ideas for a Na'vi/Avatar costume. I'm from Australia, so I don't have as many resources as you guys over in the US; nor is cosplay that big here (or at least, not that publicised, demonstrated by my lack of knowledge of it).

Anyway, I'm planning a costume for an event at the end of the year here, nothing too big, but I'd still like to pull it off well and not looking cheap.

I am a complete noob with this Cosplay stuff and I literally have ZERO idea of what any of you are talking about regarding liquid latex, bodysuits, airbrushing, body paint, prosthetics, etc.

So... Can you guys help shed some light on the matter? I've got about 10 months, but I don't even think that would be enough. I don't want to break my bank account either, but I'm willing to spend some cash.

I have something like this in my mind: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/4151027001_7f5bee2b01_o.jpg

Except instead of the gun, I want to get a nice wooden bow of some sort and try to make it a little more "Na'vi Like".

...Gah, I've had enough typing. I know it's a long short and it's extremely hard for someone new to cosplay, but hey... I've got 10 months. :s

In addition - and also restating - I live in Victoria, Australia. So if anyone reads this that can point me in the direction of local help here, that would be AWESOME.

Irayo frapo, kyevame ulte Eywa ngahu.
Thank you everyone, see you again soon and may Eywa be with you.

Tom DePetrillo
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Hay is anyone else thinking of making an AMP suit?, I will definitely be making one ( in the 9-10 ft range ). I am hoping to meet up with some blue natives for a photo throwdown. I will be attending Boston Anime and NYAF.

tereshkova2001
01-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Aradani is now offering their faun ears in Na'vi blue! (http://aradanicostumes.com/news/?p=216) :D

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a pair of these and probably their "jungle cat" mask when they release that; it depends on how it looks. I haven't settled on a wig versus hair extensions, but a wig might be useful for covering my real ears and letting me mount the prosthetic ears higher on my head.

Chocobo chic, thanks for the posterboard suggestion. I really like that idea.

SukaiAi
01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm planning my Na'Vi cosplay, and hoping to go the bodysuit route. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could purchase a good one? Also, does anyone know where I could buy long extensions or a braid to attach to either a wig or my own hair?

Thanks in advance!

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Aradani is now offering their faun ears in Na'vi blue! (http://aradanicostumes.com/news/?p=216) :D

That's awesome...but how would one go about making it seem as if the ears were higher up on the head than normal? Theirs are quite a bit further up on the face... (http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/LostWithinLW/rtyhujk.jpg)

KohakuWolf
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
That's awesome...but how would one go about making it seem as if the ears were higher up on the head than normal? Theirs are quite a bit further up on the face... (http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/LostWithinLW/rtyhujk.jpg)

I just thought of attaching the ears on the higher part of your head rather than your ears, and then cover up your actual ears with hair from the wig. Or at least that's how I've seen some cosplayers handle that setback so far. :p

Oh, and I just found something that I think you guys would like. I know I did. XDDDDD
http://cgi.ebay.com/Avatar-Navi-Neytiri-Leather-Mask-Glow-in-the-Dark-Cat_W0QQitemZ110484772521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item19b967d6a9

BitingZombeh
01-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Add me to the list! I'm gonna be cosplaying an official midget Na'vi. XD Seeing as I'm 4'10".

What do you guys think about using Mehron Paradise Makeup AQ for it? I've heard good reviews of it being used for full body make-up. I've never used it, though, so I'm not sure how easy the strips would be with it? Any input?

Na'vi wannabe
01-24-2010, 03:36 AM
I just thought of attaching the ears on the higher part of your head rather than your ears, and then cover up your actual ears with hair from the wig. Or at least that's how I've seen some cosplayers handle that setback so far. :p

Those ears aren't complete ears though, they're extensions. Am wondering how easy it will be to make them look like complete ears.

girloflowers
01-24-2010, 04:50 AM
count me in too... i'm quite curvy though and while i can't do much about my wide hips, i'll be dropping a few pounds to be slimmer for the costume.

with those ear extensions... are they hollow? you could fill them and then somehow build them up with foam latex or something... and then attach to a clip and then to the wig? thats just me sort of contemplating though i won't know a whole lot about this yet. I have enlisted a makeup artist freind to help me as well, and will be going the body paint route.
coincidentally i ahve stretched lobes and find it amusing that Neytiri does too hehe.

we haven't decided if we'll build a prosthetic or buy one yet, for the face, but we're getting there.
because of the uh, restrictions on how much of my body i can show, i thought maaaybe a modified crocheted monokini could work? in the sort of colours that neytiri's mother wears when she had the big drapey cloak on. maybe with a belt or something.
It would cover up a bit more and you could add beads and suchlike.. i dunno, i'm brainstorming. What i'd really like to do is those funky purple legging things she wears when she flies! I love them!
Oh god I'm rambling ahaha.

Nozze
01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm so excited for this thread and to see everyone's progress. A na'vi costume would definitely be one of my dream costumes for sure :)

I'm a pretty huge noob when it comes to cosplay, but I see that a lot of people are drawing a blank with the eyes.

In regards to sclera lenses, keep in mind that depending on how large they are (how much of your eye they cover) and esp. if you get custom from 9mmsfx or w/e, it will limit your eye-sight severely. Something to remember for those going down that route, especially ones unfamiliar with cosplay/cons/blind contacts. Circle lenses are a good alternative -- they make eyes appear much larger and don't cause blindness. Here are 2 sites that a blogger friend of mine gave decent reviews on: (each site also caters to those who need a prescription, and the second site even lets you pick diff prescrips for each eye)

http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewCat.asp?catID=6
http://mycandyeyes.com/index.php

Also, I definitely wanted to share this make-up tutorial that Michelle Phan did. She recreates Lady Gaga's googly eye look in the bathtub scenes from her "Bad Romance" music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHVOxhEpjp0

Less lashes, maybe white fading into blue liner on the bottom, and I think it would help a lot.

KatieAriel
01-24-2010, 10:00 AM
ARGH! I love the na'vi blue in aradani ears. oh well, I'll just have to paint the pair I have already.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a bodysuit. think something similar to 7 or 9 from star trek voyager. skin tight so there are no wrinkles. that way I can easily switch between cosplays at a con.
still thinking of using laytex on my hands and feet though.

these links are REALLY helpful! I'm gonna be using the jungle cat prosthetic and just trim it back to the nose.

Divine Dragon
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
When I ordered my faun ears from Aradani I also ordered blue paint. They figured me out and sent me an email offering to paint them like Na'vi ears. I think they did a very good job.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2401072/

Edit: I'm surprised no one has posted this Avatar makeup tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw49l6tIuk).

girloflowers
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
I've never worn contacts before... do you think it would be terrible of me to just have my regular old blue eyes? ahaha

Nozze
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
When I ordered my faun ears from Aradani I also ordered blue paint. They figured me out and sent me an email offering to paint them like Na'vi ears. I think they did a very good job.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2401072/

Edit: I'm surprised no one has posted this Avatar makeup tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw49l6tIuk).

The ears look wonderful! :)

I've never worn contacts before... do you think it would be terrible of me to just have my regular old blue eyes? ahaha

It's not terrible of you, no, but it depends on how accurate you want to be! If you do decide to go the contacts route, make sure you test them out before wearing the costume to get used to them. (Edit: I also of course suggest having an eye appointment first :<)

binzer
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm new to cosplaying, but I think I may start with a Na'vi cosplay (maybe Neytiri specifically). I've always loved transforming myself for Halloween, and I'm finally giving in!

I'm hoping that the Aradani mask will work really well for the nose/eyebrow issue (their ears are awesome) but if not, I was wondering if anyone had tried this Traumaskin FX silicone stuff (http://www.paintandpowderstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=MM-1002&cat=263)? It says you can apply it directly to your skin (which seems pretty awesome) but I'm guessing it would only be good for scars, etc?

I think I may attempt to go the body paint route, but just use a brush and airbrush paint, like in that great youtube makeup tutorial. One of those stick-on half bras seems like a good idea, painted over with an extra thick feather necklace (glued in place!).

For fangs, I found this great tutorial (http://laughingsquid.com/how-to-make-your-own-vampire-fangs/), although I have yet to find the materials and try it.

These (http://www.1-save-on-lens.com/cgi/saveonlens.cgi?d=gothika_CyvusVai) seem perfect for the eyes, but I'm worried about the large diameter making me claw my eyes out (not to mention the expense). It doesn't seem like an option to NOT do eyes, but I can't find anything as appropriate for cheaper.

One thing I'm wondering about is the hands. Na'vi only have 3 fingers, but I can't think of a great method of achieving that besides amputation. I'm guessing that making a full skin-like glove would be very complicated, although it would allow the wearer to use human hands to eat and wash-up without body paint getting in the way. Gloves also seems kind of annoying though. I was thinking that taping two fingers together and somehow covering them and blending them would work, but I'm not sure how to achieve that exactly :S

I'm going to start hunting down beads and feathers to replicate Neytiri's jewlery, and I'll post any especially accurate finds. If anyone has any high resolution photos of bracelets, etc, they would be very helpful and appreciated!

Chocobo chic
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Now my boyfriend wants to cosplay with me as Jake, which im really happy about, but it also means more work 4 me.
The ears and noses will be self made since custom ones are expeeeeensssiive!!! Im going to use Crayola model magic for "molds" and dip them in latex, I heard it works really well.
We decided to go all out with the thongs and nakedness since they are a one time cosplay for one all day shoot.
Also! ppl who will use body paint: The stencils work very well! I used posterboard, but experimenting with other materials is a good idea too.
As for the high up ears, i think im gonna try hiding my ears under a layer of duct tape covered in latex and glue the prosthetic ones slightly above my hidden ears. There is not a whole lot of empty space up there because of the hairline and i dont want glue/latex in my braids!
Eyes.... i ordered black circle lenses to give the dialeted pupil effect, which works well because in my makeup test photos im wearing brown circle lenses.

binzer
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Now my boyfriend wants to cosplay with me as Jake, which im really happy about, but it also means more work 4 me.
The ears and noses will be self made since custom ones are expeeeeensssiive!!! Im going to use Crayola model magic for "molds" and dip them in latex, I heard it works really well.
We decided to go all out with the thongs and nakedness since they are a one time cosplay for one all day shoot.
Also! ppl who will use body paint: The stencils work very well! I used posterboard, but experimenting with other materials is a good idea too.
As for the high up ears, i think im gonna try hiding my ears under a layer of duct tape covered in latex and glue the prosthetic ones slightly above my hidden ears. There is not a whole lot of empty space up there because of the hairline and i dont want glue/latex in my braids!
Eyes.... i ordered black circle lenses to give the dialeted pupil effect, which works well because in my makeup test photos im wearing brown circle lenses.

Do you have any links or extra info on using model magic like that? That sounds like a great idea! I wonder if something similar could be used to combine two fingers into one...

I wrote a huge post in this thread with some helpful links, but it was my first post and is in the moderation queue. I guess this may end up in the queue too, but my second post worked :S

Teh Pocky Ninja
01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Dudes and dudettes: Someone who got all the sparkly bits just right! :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjdMztjjlo&feature=sub)

Chocobo chic
01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I have never seen a tutorial involving Model Magic per-say,but, there are tutorials on Youtube involving making molds with clay. I was thinking about the binding the fingers with a thin layer of latex since its pretty strong once it dries.

mimi kayuko
01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I want to cosplay as one of theme but i dont know what to do

binzer
01-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Aradani has its mask out! (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/article_avatar_navi.php)

not sure if I'm sold on it yet. Might try experimenting with just makeup, nose putty, and liquid latex first.

clembastow
01-30-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm planning on trialing a Na'vi costume for Supanova here in Melbourne, then ironing out the kinks in time for SDCC (which I'm travelling to, hooray!). I had a muck around with some face-paint (plus blocked out eyebrows) last night and I think I'll go as a generic Na'vi because trying to make myself look as beautiful as Neytiri while covered in nose putty and paint is proving deeply disappointing ;-)

Inu-girl4290
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
So I've been waiting for the Jungle cat mask by Aradani. It's done... but it is NOT what I was expecting... The nose is all wrong :(
http://aradanicostumes.com/news/?p=236

KohakuWolf
01-30-2010, 04:59 PM
So I've been waiting for the Jungle cat mask by Aradani. It's done... but it is NOT what I was expecting... The nose is all wrong :(
http://aradanicostumes.com/news/?p=236

.............Oh wow. O____o
I agree, that is very disappointing. And here I was expecting Aradani to make a flawless Avatar mask. :(

Chocobo chic
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
.............Oh wow. O____o
I agree, that is very disappointing. And here I was expecting Aradani to make a flawless Avatar mask. :(

I know right, i thought it was gonna be flawless.! er, it would look good for someone who wanted to make an elder na'vi or a shaman. But i dont think it would look good on us girls, it would take up most of our faces! i was still going to make one myself though, regardless of the outcome of theirs. Im sure with time more theatrical websites will release better ones with a more variety of shapes and sizes, we have to remember that the movie is still new and there are not allot of reference photos to work with out there.:sulk:

KatieAriel
01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
eh, thanks for sharing that, I'm not gonna be using Aradani then. (their ears are still amazing though)
I havent found any really good theatre resources just yet, but I'll deffinately post if I find a good prosthetics site. I know some companies can make some custom latex pieces, I'm hoping to find someone that can do that for something less than a fortune

Inu-girl4290
01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
So I left a comment on the Page for Aradani Costumes on facebook asking about the Na'vi noses, and they got back to me. This is what they said: "I am going to be making another one, for women which will be a bit smaller and more upturned. It should be done in the next few weeks."
So I guess we can still hope for one that is better for us girls ^w^

Kazephyr
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Alright, before I emotionally invest myself in being deadset on cosplaying Neytiri any further... Does anyone know where I might get a custom painted bodysuit commissioned? I'd like to make the rest of the costume myself, but I really don't like painting bodysuits. ._.;;

Teh Pocky Ninja
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Alright, before I emotionally invest myself in being deadset on cosplaying Neytiri any further... Does anyone know where I might get a custom painted bodysuit commissioned? I'd like to make the rest of the costume myself, but I really don't like painting bodysuits. ._.;;

I've heard Limebarb.com (http://www.limebarb.com/folder/commissions/cosplay_index.htm) does custom bodysuits; I dunno if they do them with designs but you could email and ask.

ZeeZee_Valtory
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Hey everyone I've been following this forum and site pretty much for awhile now, but now I decided to join. XD

Sooo I was watching some TV some time back and some highlight came on for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. And this costume actually wasn't to bad. I was very impressed.

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/clips/conans-navi-assistant-011110/1192021/?__cid=thefilter

And this guy is good if you don't wanna do the nose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw49l6tIuk

So yeah. This thread has helped me out a lot! I'm going to be making the costumes with some friends. And we're going for the airbrush make up. Also I'm going to try to add more armour/clothing of some sort to cut back on airbrushing. I'm gonna attempt to make the latex noses. (little nervous bout that). But I'm going to put plastic wrap over the nose and brow area of the face and then mold and shape potter's clay to the person's face. Then remove the mold and use liquid latex over it. That sound like a good idea? I'm kinda unsure bout it.

Anywho I've been looking at some pics of different styled Na'vi armour to draw reference pics for me and my peeps.

Hoped the links were of use. ^;..;^

mermaiden
02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Okay, I can't stand it.... I think I'm going to have to give Neytari a try.

But does anyone know if any of the Na'vi have a beard? :/

Chocobo chic
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Okay, I can't stand it.... I think I'm going to have to give Neytari a try.

But does anyone know if any of the Na'vi have a beard? :/

I dont think na'vis are hairy beings, they are too perfect to need to shave!

Kazephyr
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Hmm... After looking into things a bit, I think I'll use airbrush make-up, instead, should I find myself able to do Neytiri. As I know semi-nothing about airbrushes (though I did some forum-searches and Googling), could anyone give me recommendations on a good system and whatever else I'll need to get started on airbrushing? :) Let's see... if I'm right, I need the airbrush system (considering this one? (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92403)) an airbrushing needle (does it come with the system? Where can I get one?) an air compressor (recommendations?), and, of course, some airbrush make-up and a sealer to mix in. I plan to use this system a lot (I tend to cosplay characters with blue/purple/etc. skin), so I want something sturdy...

Thanks so much for any help! ^^;; I really want to do this, but it's kinda out of my area of expertise. *_*

arikata
02-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi everyone (Kaltx frapo)! Um, I'm very new to cosplay, but I was very excited to see this thread. I'm a moderator on the forums for Learnnavi.org, the site for learning the beautiful language of Na'vi, and we have a very active community. One of our boards is dedicated to cosplay, with people posting their progress so far. One of our moderators even managed to go to the premier as Jake as an Avatar.

We do have plenty of questions though and would love to hear from some more experienced cosplayers. Feel free to drop in if you have advice.

The make-up doesn't worry me to much (thank you years of theatre) but my biggest concern is finding contacts that won't kill my wallet.

BitingZombeh
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Arikata!

I have found two contacts that I think would work. They also are perscription, so if you need that, you're set! I have 20/400 eyes, so I had to find some. XD

Here are the links:
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=221
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=195

I'm think that I'm going to get the second one. It's more yellow to me.

Oh and you're a theatre person? What do you think about painting on Mehron Paradise Makeup AQ? WOuld that work?

THREAD: What do you think about them? The contacts I mean.

arikata
02-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Those contacts look great! Do we know if they're safe? I'm paranoid about my eyes.

Hmm, I've never used that make up (I'm a Ben Nye girl) but it looks nice.

Here's a video that was super helpful, he doesn't bother to alter his nose but it still looks fantastic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw49l6tIuk

Chocobo chic
02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Arikata!

I have found two contacts that I think would work. They also are perscription, so if you need that, you're set! I have 20/400 eyes, so I had to find some. XD

Here are the links:
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=221
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=195

I'm think that I'm going to get the second one. It's more yellow to me.

Oh and you're a theatre person? What do you think about painting on Mehron Paradise Makeup AQ? WOuld that work?

THREAD: What do you think about them? The contacts I mean.

I have brown circle lenses and they are the same ones from your 2nd link. Even though they appear very light in the photo, trust me they are the total opposite. Im wearing my brown circle lenses in my Neytiri makeup test photos, and as you can see they appear black instead of light brown. Circle lenses are specifically made for dark eyes and my eye color is as dark as any asian eyes, but all circle lenses (I have green Angel Series lenses and Brown Teary Eyes lenses) are almost black looking on my eyes, so my opinion is either photoshop or, if you have light eyes like blue or green, buy highlighter contacts in bright green or hazel.

BitingZombeh
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Thank you so much for telling me that! So you don't think that they would look yellow on blue/green eyes?

I'll have to look around some more. XD Drat!

Chocobo chic
02-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Thank you so much for telling me that! So you don't think that they would look yellow on blue/green eyes?

I'll have to look around some more. XD Drat!

i have never seen them on light eyes, but i dont think it will work because: The center of the lense that is the opening for your pupil is very large, which gives the effect of a dialated pupil on a person wih dark eyes. On a person with light eyes that effect cannot be acheived
because your eyecolor will be completely visible through the opening. Another reason is that the colors are very dark so they might not blend well with light eyes, you should try Freshlook Colorblends, they are sold at Wallmart and are made for ppl with light eyes. They should have some honey colored ones that will look nice on green or hazel eyes, for blue eyes you might wanna try some bright green ones or hazel.

jinglebooboo
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
oh my goshness, i ahve seen this movie 3 times, and i am still not even close to sick of it. in one word, beautiful. just everything about it. anyway. after watching, i really really want to do a neytiri cosplay for a con (dunno which one but if i did i dont really care, would were anywere lol)

here is what she looks likes in case yoiu havent seen

http://www.avatar-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/neytiri%20pose_800.jpg
http://www.popcornreel.com/neytiri.jpg

anyway, i was just kinda curious of if other people have been wanting to cosplay from this movie? i am nervous about how i would achieve the color blue all over my body, without leaving a trail of blue everywere i sit lol. and plus, i dont even know if any con would let me were this, and most consa re anime related, so i just dont know. but it is my new dream cosplay. ugh how i wish i could do this.

call_me_canada
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=192040

There is already a thread about it :)

jinglebooboo
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
thnx you

jinglebooboo
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
hey all!!!!!!! i have seen this movie 3 times so far, and everytime i love it even more. i really really want to cosplay neytiri with he riding the dragon thing outfit ( neytiri warrior ha ha?) anyway. was going to make a fake nose, but i am not sure how too attach it, and i also dont know how to make the tale. but i would love to make her outfit. i am not exactly sure were to start though.. and what products do you recommend for me to use as the body makeup/paint

plus, do you think this would be aloud to were at cons? i am not sure were to wear it, but i would love to wear, even if it is at an anime con and i am from a movie.

PockyPants
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Well I suppose its time I throw my two cents in. ;)

My boyfriend and I are currently working on Avatar cosplays. He will be Jake Sully and I will be Neytiri.

We decided to do bodysuits instead of body paint since we will be wearing these costumes multiple times at conventions. We ordered azure zentai suits without hoods from Judy's Zentai (http://www.judyzentai.com/). These were really expensive ($76 for two suits) and I'm wishing I would of thought to get a SEAMLESS suit before ordering these. Oh well, maybe someday we'll redo the costumes and make them nicer, but for now we've already spent enough money.

For our faces we are going to be using Ben Nye MagiCake Aqua makeup. We're currently waiting on some of the makeup to arrive in the mail to test it out. We plan on using some medical tape to flatten our noses and will be making our own latex prosthetics using this tutorial (http://www.fxsupply.com/prosthetics/nosep.html).
Although, so far this (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=79488) is the best prosthetic I've seen yet!

We were going to use Aradani's faun ears, but after seeing this (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/article_avatar_navi.php) decided against it. Now I'm thinking about covering up our own ears and making latex ears. Similar to what you see in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oqU2w6ObM), just a bit more legit.

These (http://www.all-contact-lenses-online.com/AngelusCustomContactLens.html) are the best contact lenses I have found. At $125 a pair, I don't think I'll be getting them anytime soon.
I did find these circle lenses (http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=195), but I'm not sure if it would be bright/yellow enough. Plus I don't know much about circle lenses.
Then there's these "Avatar" lenses (http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/avatar-contact-lenses1.cfm). Of course you could always get plain ol' yellow lenses to!
Does anyone have any pictures of whatever contacts they have?

We've got most of Neytiri's jewelry (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2439618/) done, while Jake's is proving a bit more complicated. (Hm, ironic much?)
Speaking of which, The Noble Collection (http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=86) sells a few accessories and daggers. If you dont want to drop the big bucks, these at least make for nice reference photos. (Yes, we're making the daggers to!)

Also got our fangs (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2439617/)!
Subtle Small Fangs (http://www.vampfangs.com/Scarecrow-Subtle-Small-Custom-Vampire-Fangs-p/sksm.htm) for Neytiri and Subtle Werewolf Fangs (http://www.vampfangs.com/Scarecrow-Subtle-Werewolf-Fangs-p/subtwere.htm) for Jake. These are SO MUCH fun to wear! However, the small ones are even a bit big I think. I would like something a little smaller, but it doesn't exist (that I'm aware of) so this will do.
Point is: DONT GET THE LARGE ONES THEY ARE MASSIVE.

Does anyone happen to have any HQ photos of Neytiri and Jake? Specifically I'm looking for their loin clothes and anything else below the waist. I think there's something on their legs but I can't find any pictures.
Neytiri's loin cloth (http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/secretletters10/Avatar/240284e8.jpg) is almost camouflaged with her skin, it's so hard to see! XD

THIS THING (http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/secretletters10/Avatar/f939cd50.jpg). What is it?
Jake wears something similar that he keeps his dagger in. However, Neytiri keeps hers around her waist. I suppose this is maybe some type of necklace?
It's proving extremely difficult to find any type of fabric with this scale texture. Any ideas there?

For the tail we were thinking sewing basicly a tube of fabric (matching our bodysuits) with some batting and wire for structure.
Instead of sewing it onto our bodysuits and weighing it down, we're thinking about attaching it to some form of a belt we can wear under the bodysuit. That will hold it up and prevent your bodysuit from tearing, getting stretched out, etc.

For Jake, a wig is the only option. For Neytiri however, I could use my own hair and it would probably look much more natural. However, I'm afraid micro braiding my already thin hair would damage it terribly.
Do you think getting a lace front wig such as this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Handsewn-Synthetic-FULL-LACE-FRONT-Queen-Wigs-9170-1B_W0QQitemZ230433379126QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_ MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item35a6e65336) and braiding it myself would work? Would it look somewhat natural (as compared to a wig from cosworx)?

Also, for the LOLs - Guess what the big Halloween costume will be this year? (http://cgi.ebay.com/AVATAR-Movie-Jake-Sully-Overhead-Latex-mask-PRE-SALE_W0QQitemZ250568620368QQihZ015QQcategoryZ52762 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo=L VI&itu=UCI&otn=4&ps=63&clkid=7589121288404816084) :D

moonflower.
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh, for fangs (i was going to post about this, but then totally forgot) you can make your own using some awesome stuff called plasti-pal.. basically it's plastic you melt in hot water, mold to your teeth and dry in cold water. It works super awesomely

Dark Inuyasha
02-10-2010, 12:32 AM
That was such a good movie I so want to cosplay as Jake Sully in his Avatar form. It sucks since I am 5 foot 10 If I were at least 6 foot 4 or 5 then I would look awesome. What the hell I will do it anyway.

PockyPants
02-10-2010, 12:51 AM
That was such a good movie I so want to cosplay as Jake Sully in his Avatar form. It sucks since I am 5 foot 10 If I were at least 6 foot 4 or 5 then I would look awesome. What the hell I will do it anyway.

I'm 5'2" and it's not stopping me.

BitingZombeh
02-10-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm 5'2" and it's not stopping me.
I'm 4'10" and it's not stopping me. XD

Kazephyr
02-10-2010, 05:53 AM
There are moments I wish Halloween costumes were up to cosplay standards. (http://cgi.ebay.com/AVATAR-Movie-Neytiri-Adult-Costume-XS-S-M-L-PRE-SALE_W0QQitemZ250568620548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?var=&hash=item800eaff7da) ;_; If that suit had hands + feet, I'd almost buy it... Prepainted bodysuit would be joy. I'm wavering pitifully between bodysuit and airbrushing... It seems like there are a lot of pros and cons for both. :/

Of course, the main con for airbrushing is that it may not be deemed appropriate for public events... Plus, I'd have to get up even earlier than usual to do it all the day of the con.

On the other hand, if I make a mistake while painting the bodysuit, I've essentially thrown 80 bucks out the window. :P

Bleh, I can't decide. >_<;;

SvK
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
A possible solution: airbrush yourself for a photoshoot that is not attached to a convention. Just find a photographer and a forest.

EDIT: Good news! I found evidence online that Na'vi and humans can get along. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/newsbiepix/4336211962/)

Kazephyr
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
A possible solution: airbrush yourself for a photoshoot that is not attached to a convention. Just find a photographer and a forest.

Yeah... I was thinking of that, but with all the money I'm putting into this, I'd like to be able to wear it to a con... :(

Bu the way, does this wig (http://cgi.ebay.com/Exotic-Sesame-Black-Braided-Headband-Wig-loose-ends_W0QQitemZ380204441400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CS A_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item5885f35f38) look like it could work? Or is it just an extension kind of thing?

gothic-cameo
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
THIS THING (http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/secretletters10/Avatar/f939cd50.jpg). What is it?
Jake wears something similar that he keeps his dagger in. However, Neytiri keeps hers around her waist. I suppose this is maybe some type of necklace?
It's proving extremely difficult to find any type of fabric with this scale texture. Any ideas there?

I found some movie prop pictures for Neytiri, it labels that as an herb pouch, it also has a good picture of her necklace and arm bands:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GIchwvJ-aNk/Szlk6rFF_JI/AAAAAAAANq4/3EO1Rd7DVEo/s800/Avatar+Navi+movie+props.jpg

EDIT: This website actually has alot of good prop pictures on it for both Jake and Neytiri as well as some of the military weapons:

http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com/2009/12/avatar-movie-props-and-costume.html

tereshkova2001
02-11-2010, 01:25 AM
EDIT: This website actually has alot of good prop pictures on it for both Jake and Neytiri as well as some of the military weapons:

http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com/2009/12/avatar-movie-props-and-costume.html

Thank you! One of the things I'm finding most frustrating is that there aren't any screencaps yet. I've already seen most of the publicity stills, and I keep wanting a shot of this detail or that one. The exhibit is lovely and helpful. I do wonder how many of those props were built for the museum, since the Na'vi were entirely digital.

Chocobo chic
02-11-2010, 06:17 PM

EDIT: Good news! I found evidence online that Na'vi and humans can get along. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/newsbiepix/4336211962/)

thats what im doing, it is burning a hole in my wallet though! Its totally worth the cash for the pics, location of choice and digital manipulation. $150.00 shoot for both my boyfriend and me. T.T

lindshaysubway
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
For anyone who's going the bodysuit route...would you share your methods as to how you plan on getting the stripes on accurately?

I have a bodysuit made with stripes already, but I'm thinking about making a new one. Since I put most of my costume together in 5 days, I didn't have enough time to ship a pre-patterned one in or to devise a method better or more complicated than just freehanding the stripes in with fabric paint on my blue bodysuit.
This turned out alright, certainly suitable at the time, but now I wish it looked a little more accurate and polished. To me it looks acceptable but crude at the moment, because the 2 blues are very different shades and they're big chunky stripes instead of the subtle ones that the na'vi seem to have lots of.

Like I said, I'm not totally set on making a new one since this one is okay, and I probably wouldn't if I didn't think the second would turn out any better. But I'd like to consider the option. (:

Chocobo chic
02-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Here is a really good site for anyone who might be interested in airbrush body painting.
They have tips, links to buy makeup, and saftey, its really useful! Im going to use waterbased acrylic paint because its sold in most craft stores for about 3-4 $$. I got my airbrush kit on ebay for $20.00 (without air canister)
Air cans can be found in harware stores and maybe Wallmart.

http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

SvK
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
That link is NSFW, by the way.

Chocobo chic
02-20-2010, 06:53 PM
That link is NSFW, by the way.

unfortunately professional bodypainting is usually done nude, sorry thats just how it works.

windgirlcruse
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm starting my random Na'vi costume. I got a body suit off eBay. I got it in mail today. I think that in order the wrong color. Can someone tell me if I got the wrong or an OK color for my costume? I also took pictures of some Jewelry I found at a secondhand store.
With flash in the picture:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip002.jpg
Without flash:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip001.jpg
Jewelry:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip005.jpg

Dark Inuyasha
02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm 4'10" and it's not stopping me. XD

your right height does not matter. I am definetly going as Jake Sully. I saw the SNL skit of Avatar and the blue spandex they wore was perfect it will be better then painting myself it will save me a few hours.

tereshkova2001
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm starting my random Na'vi costume. I got a body suit off eBay. I got it in mail today. I think that in order the wrong color. Can someone tell me if I got the wrong or an OK color for my costume? I also took pictures of some Jewelry I found at a secondhand store.

I think the blue is a little bit dark, but it will work. I'm sure there's some variation in skin color among the Na'vi, after all.

I have finally started to spend money on my costume, so now it's definitely going to happen. I've ordered a long black wig, custom contact lenses (not cheap at my abysmal prescription) and a boatload of makeup. I'll be sure to post pictures when the contacts get here.

Chocobo chic
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
With flash in the picture:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip002.jpg
Without flash:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip001.jpg
Jewelry:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/kagomelookalike2010/Avatarcostumewip005.jpg

The suit is kinda dark but for a first try I think that it can work out just fine.

gothic-cameo
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I think this is a pretty good looking Na'vi nose, at least for a nose that wasn't made specifically for that purpose and it's really cheap if it doesn't work:
http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_93&products_id=363

And there's also ears too, even though they aren't as pointy as the Na'vi ears:
http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_100&products_id=444

EDIT: Never mind the ears they're probably too large...

Teh Pocky Ninja
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Who else thinks Ben Stiller is made of awesome right now? :P

Kiwi54
03-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Haha I do! I need those contact he had. He sounded pretty convincing as a Na'Vi up until the tongue clicky part, then it just got silly, lol. but it was very funny.

Saki Ree
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM

LMAO! Me! I lawl'd so hard when he came out. XD And he was like, "And Avatar wasn't even nominated!"

Divine Dragon
03-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ben Stiller's tail went on for miles!

lindshaysubway
03-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey guys.
For those of you still trying to work out a good nose prosthetic, I found something that's pretty good.

http://grimeur.forumactif.net/quoi-comment-f3/prothese-de-na-vi-t29.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ldz8IyQPE

Too bad it's in french! However once run through a translator, I believe the poster says he can speak bits of english.
It's 25 euros, which I guess is around 35-40 USD.
Pricey, but it's nice! (And for the record, I believe the cheekbones and eyebrows are painted like that, and not actually shaped that way, and if you were to get the prosthetic, it would not be that intense. Pictures below are of the prosthetic being painted, so there are views of it unpainted):

http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/10/06/43/52/tuto-110.jpg
http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/10/06/43/52/tuto-210.jpg

The actual retail website is here:

http://www.atelier-du-grimeur.com/

However, the na'vi prosthesis isn't listed yet, so you have to contact him. ^^

Teh Pocky Ninja
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Wisconsin is officially the best state ever for having a fricking LARP community (http://thedailywh.at/post/452868929/this-is-funny-you-should-watch-it-of-the-day-the#disqus_thread) dedicated to cosplaying Na'vi.
WARNING: contains toilet paper, store-mannequin abuse, and lulzy dialogue that might make you spew your drinks.

Divine Dragon
03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
My costume is finally finished and I've uploaded my pictures (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/275515/).

tereshkova2001
03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
That's very nice! I love the shot of you fighting with Wolverine.

Teh Pocky Ninja
03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
My costume is finally finished and I've uploaded my pictures (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/275515/).

Wwwwwoooowww this reply took forever, but you did an AMAZING job right there :bigtu:

Divine Dragon
03-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I was originally planning to only wear my Avatar costume once, but it was so much fun I'm considering doing it again. I still have enough makeup to do it again. The only problem is that I'll have to get my legs waxed again. It was very unpleasant the first time, but it shouldn't hurt as much the next time.

FrankyM
03-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I was hoping someone was going to start a thread on this. I think one of the more spectacular pieces of the costume is her face and body, how the little dots light up on her skin. I think you might be able to do that with LED Lights or EL Wire Panels (http://ellumiglow.com). If you used a body suit, you could poke a hole in it to thread the LED Lights through, or have an EL Wire panel underneath and put it on a sequencer. This would make the costume light up at different times or different brightnesses, just like in the movie. Anyone else think of something better?

PockyPants
03-29-2010, 07:38 AM
It seems like something like that would be much too bulky. I'm using glow in the dark/UV reactive paint.

Chocobo chic
03-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Im using metallic white paint mixed with glitter to give it extra shine. I dont need to worry too much about the dots because the glitter will reflect the flash of the reflectors and camera on the day of the shoot. Im pretty confident that they will light up just fine, if not then there is always some help from photoshop! XP

PockyPants
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Im using metallic white paint mixed with glitter to give it extra shine. I dont need to worry too much about the dots because the glitter will reflect the flash of the reflectors and camera on the day of the shoot. Im pretty confident that they will light up just fine, if not then there is always some help from photoshop! XP

You always have the best ideas! Where can you get metallic white though?

tereshkova2001
03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm using glow in the dark/UV reactive paint.

That's my plan as well. I'm going to string UV LEDs along the inside of my longbow so I can make the dots light up on command.

PockyPants
03-30-2010, 11:08 PM
That's my plan as well. I'm going to string UV LEDs along the inside of my longbow so I can make the dots light up on command.

Yet another good idea! I was just planning on bringing a blacklight along to use for photos. How are you making your bow, what are you making it out of?

Chocobo chic
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
You always have the best ideas! Where can you get metallic white though?

Wallmart in the arts and crafts section, waterbase acrylic paint. The brand is called Folklore, and they have a bunch of metallic colors.

Chocobo chic
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Yet another good idea! I was just planning on bringing a blacklight along to use for photos. How are you making your bow, what are you making it out of?

For the bow I used wood, but you can also try pvc tubes or carv it out of acrylic (acrylic ic expensive though and hard to cut by hand, you need a carpenter) go to home depot and ask for wood that is flexible and durable, they can help you out. Pvc tubes is more tricky cuz you need to find some thin enough to bend and flex with the the string, but its a good alternative too.

tereshkova2001
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Somewhere in my parents' garage, I have an authentic longbow made of oak. I bought it on eBay for $50 7 or 8 years ago. I'm just going to use that, string LEDs on the inside, and decorate it with craft foam to replicate the detailing on Eytukan's bow. Those broad leaves will be perfect for concealing the battery pack and switches. I'm not going to carry arrows, especially at a convention, but it would be easy enough to tie some onto the handle.

tereshkova2001
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I got my 9mmSFx contact lenses, and took some photos to show off.
Here's a link to my FlickR set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21077670@N02/sets/72157623725365883/) with my progress pics, including the contacts, the wig, and the jewelry I've made so far.

Kazephyr
04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
I got my 9mmSFx contact lenses, and took some photos to show off.
Here's a link to my FlickR set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21077670@N02/sets/72157623725365883/) with my progress pics, including the contacts, the wig, and the jewelry I've made so far.

Wow, your progress is looking amazing! ^^ I especially love how you used natural materials for the jewelry. :)
---
I'm still doing Neytiri, but I'm just in the planning stages. XD At the very least, I've landed on bodypaint as opposed to a unitard, after seeing how epic you guys' stuff is turning out. :)

clembastow
04-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey team, I finally finished my Neytiri/Na'vi cosplay for Supanova Melbourne. It was a rush job but I was really happy with the results. Have uploaded a few pics while I wait for my friend to give me his (shot on a proper camera and not an iPhone, lol): http://www.cosplay.com/costume/273427/

Am going to keep working at it and then wear it when I go to SDCC in July :-)

OO Agent
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Here's a link to my Jake Sully cosplay for AB 2010 if anyone is interested :3

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/293585/

tereshkova2001
04-20-2010, 12:37 AM
OO Agent: That's fantastic! I love that you went to the trouble of putting the ears in the right place. All the details are excellent. The headpiece is especially excellent. Bravo.

@ Kazephyr: thank you! I've been trying to keep the materials culturally-appropriate, as far as I can.

Chocobo chic
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Mine is finally done! I posted only one photo because the photographer wants to wait until the premier to officially release them. So far so good though! The release of the pics will be on the 22nd.

Enjoy!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2521777/

Kiwi54
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Mine is finally done! I posted only one photo because the photographer wants to wait until the premier to officially release them. So far so good though! The release of the pics will be on the 22nd.

Enjoy!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2521777/

Oh my God...:mfg: That is too frickin' awesome!!!

kaliko_rosa
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey team, I finally finished my Neytiri/Na'vi cosplay for Supanova Melbourne. It was a rush job but I was really happy with the results. Have uploaded a few pics while I wait for my friend to give me his (shot on a proper camera and not an iPhone, lol): http://www.cosplay.com/costume/273427/

Am going to keep working at it and then wear it when I go to SDCC in July :-)

I really like your paint job on the bodysuit, the little "sparklies" look fantastic!! For a "rush" job you sure captured call the critical elements very well :D. Always intrigued by other bodysuit advocates as well and how they go about the process, and I like how yours was finished, plus how it integrates at your chest (great job on the makeup).

Plus pic with the dog is by far the cutest.

mermaiden
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Yay! My contacts arrived yesterday. I bought Dolly Eye brown (http://www.tokioshine.com/product_p/v209lb-brown.htm). I have slight astigmatism so it was nearly impossible to find the contacts I wanted (something a bit greener) with toric, so I said forget it and got the closest thing I could find, which also didn't look fake and solid yellow or something. Thankfully I've been fitted for a red pair for a previous costume (there, now my avatar lol), so I already had a doctor prescription on non-toric ones that's not too terribly old.... I can't see well enough to legally drive while wearing them LOL, but that's okay (because I won't be!).
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/6968763f400642eba50e019866e4c22e/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/6968763f400642eba50e019866e4c22e/fullsize.jpg)

Also, I made one of Neytiri's armbands
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/0478a7c04e184112abdac40e70efc3e3/1024.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/0478a7c04e184112abdac40e70efc3e3/1024.jpg)

Looks like the original, eh?
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/c3c24198aae54c9daaeea11a20eb596a/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/c3c24198aae54c9daaeea11a20eb596a/fullsize.jpg)

http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/1a3b211b50e34bcf9cedbc155ab48bd5/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/1a3b211b50e34bcf9cedbc155ab48bd5/fullsize.jpg)

Bought beads this week, and have more jewelry work to do this weekend, while I'm waiting on my blue zentai bodysuit to arrive... will be striping that myself... so much great inspiration from others of you who have done it, so I feel I can manage it.

Ordered a large Woochie cat face and it actually looks pretty good, just need to trim the whisker portion under the nose off. (Spirit gum to hold it to the face?)

Finally found a suitable wig on eBay and it's on its way! I'll show & tell when it arrives, if it is good.

Ordered Aradani's ears.... will see how they go.... I think we will be able to work with them.

Sort-of torn about the attire. Boyfriend wants me to dress a bit more modest, lol! I'll be in a full bodysuit already but he would rather I not look "nude." Might end up dressing more like Grace with shorts and red top. The costumer in me cringes because it's not "authentic" yet I think it will work, what do you guys think?

PockyPants
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Mermaiden, That's so crazy! I ordered the exact same contacts and they came in yesterday as well. I haven't had a chance to try them on yet though :(

LOVE your armband, it's perfect. Did you just make a whole bunch of bracelets or are they all attached into one armband?

As for the attire, I'd just tell your boyfriend to get over it! You're in a bodysuit, completely covered. ;)

mermaiden
05-07-2010, 02:03 PM
LOL! Awesome. and thanks. The armband is actually 1 long strand, though I nearly made them all separately; it was a tossup. We wove the elastic in and out of a plastic strip along the bottom, and then wove another piece over and under the beads on the top to secure them. O_O I wish I could diagram it, lol.

One of the contacts was burning a little bit but it's the same feeling I get when they've gotten something impure on them so I'm soaking them right now in solution. Will try them on again tonight and they should be fine. :)

tereshkova2001
05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, mermaiden, wear whatever will make you comfortable. If that's the bodysuit alone for authenticity, go for it!

Myself, I'm going as an AVTR driver and I'll probably pack clothes to wear in case con security or venue staff have concerns about showing skin.

ElegantLolita
05-09-2010, 03:08 AM
I saw a girl who was a Na'vi, she was in full body paint and had on no clothes but a loincloth fake feet (couldn't tell they were fake until I looked really hard) and a necklace. Wish I got pics but it was so crowded! I can't recall if she had the nose though, she was also quite short haha :D
I def would do body paint, especially if I was going to be inside the whole time.
I wouldn't cosplay as them though, although the character design is really cool I am not afraid of Pocahontas in space.

mermaiden
05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, I went through the movie and took a lot of screencaps to study all the stuff she wears and turns out that we are both comfortable with the loincloth and the top she's wearing at the end of the film. :)
Argh my wig came but it's going to be a pain to work with. It's not quite right but it's useable.
I got the blue Aradani ears and I think we'll be able to get those to work out okay as well. I love that they are already blue!
Working on some more jewelry now...

tereshkova2001
05-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Oooh, look what I found!
During Jake's Uniltaron ceremony, Neytiri wears a decorated harness-like item of jewelry, with feathers and leather straps. She also wears a different style of loincloth than usual. During that ceremony and the love scene which follows it, her hair is loose and unbraided except for the queue. Very pretty!
I think I'm going to make that for my costume instead of the necklace I've already got. I might even be able to adapt the one I made, carefully.

mermaiden
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I saw that too when I was going through the movie. Very nice indeed!

kaliko_rosa
05-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Hi guys!!

I'm so excited to finally get to post here. I've been talking cosplay on avatar-forums.com, and although they have a roomy dedicated section just for cosplay, it's too lonely there.

I'll be cosplaying classic Neytiri :)! I have some progress already ^^:

Bodysuit:
My bodysuit will be a custom-made catsuit (hands and feet included, if I can pull it off :woah:) made from a tiger-striped blue hologram spandex. The fabric choice was inspired by a dancer I saw wearing this stunning bodysuit (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/kaliko_rosa/_MG_0014.jpg).

After searching the world over, I found that exact fabric and hope to make the suit in the next 2 weeks.

Some more pics of the dancer in the fantabulous bodysuit
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/kaliko_rosa/_MG_0024.jpg) :toothy:

Face & Ears:
My prosthetics were purchased from the artist Jesse of ReelMagik.com. His Na'Vi prosthetics are of incredible quality, and the female model I ordered is great. Still need to paint it, but here's some shots of me in it:

Face/Ears Prosthetic 1 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547845/)
Face/Ears Prosthetic 2 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547844/)
Face/Ears Prosthetic 3 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547843/)

Jewellery:
This is the only other part I've gotten to spend some time on, and I have tons of reference shots if anyone needs them :)

Jewellery Group (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547879/)

Choker (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547878/)

Feather Necklace (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547877/)

Left Wrist Bracelet (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547874/)

Still need to work very much on the weapons and other accessories, and I'm not sure yet whether to braid my own hair or look for a wig. I know hair braiding can be expensive though and time-consuming, but has anyone tried it for this? :confused:

Chocobo chic
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi guys!!

I'm so excited to finally get to post here. I've been talking cosplay on avatar-forums.com, and although they have a roomy dedicated section just for cosplay, it's too lonely there.

I'll be cosplaying classic Neytiri :)! I have some progress already ^^:

Bodysuit:
My bodysuit will be a custom-made catsuit (hands and feet included, if I can pull it off :woah:) made from a tiger-striped blue hologram spandex. The fabric choice was inspired by a dancer I saw wearing this stunning bodysuit (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/kaliko_rosa/_MG_0014.jpg).

After searching the world over, I found that exact fabric and hope to make the suit in the next 2 weeks.

Some more pics of the dancer in the fantabulous bodysuit
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/kaliko_rosa/_MG_0024.jpg) :toothy:

Face & Ears:
My prosthetics were purchased from the artist Jesse of ReelMagik.com. His Na'Vi prosthetics are of incredible quality, and the female model I ordered is great. Still need to paint it, but here's some shots of me in it:

Face/Ears Prosthetic 1 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547845/)
Face/Ears Prosthetic 2 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547844/)
Face/Ears Prosthetic 3 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547843/)

Jewellery:
This is the only other part I've gotten to spend some time on, and I have tons of reference shots if anyone needs them :)

Jewellery Group (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547879/)

Choker (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547878/)

Feather Necklace (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547877/)

Left Wrist Bracelet (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2547874/)

Still need to work very much on the weapons and other accessories, and I'm not sure yet whether to braid my own hair or look for a wig. I know hair braiding can be expensive though and time-consuming, but has anyone tried it for this? :confused:

I love the pattern that the suit has, its georgeous! Anyways, the question about the hair braiding: I got mine braided , and it realy depends on where you go to get it done and how much hair you have to work with. I have very little hair, so it took aprox 1 hour to braid and 15 mins for the beads. I was charged $15.00 but i live in the tropics and braided hair is very common, im not sure how much will be charged in the states. For my version 2 i will get extensions so that i can have more thickness in the braids (mine were very thin and i didnt like them too much) As for the long braid you can either get it braided directly onto your head or buy two ponytail extensions, braid them together and tie them to your head with a rubber band. Both ways are good, but the second rout is better cuz you can use it as many times that you want.

kaliko_rosa
05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I love the pattern that the suit has, its georgeous! Anyways, the question about the hair braiding: I got mine braided , and it realy depends on where you go to get it done and how much hair you have to work with. I have very little hair, so it took aprox 1 hour to braid and 15 mins for the beads. I was charged $15.00 but i live in the tropics and braided hair is very common, im not sure how much will be charged in the states. For my version 2 i will get extensions so that i can have more thickness in the braids (mine were very thin and i didnt like them too much) As for the long braid you can either get it braided directly onto your head or buy two ponytail extensions, braid them together and tie them to your head with a rubber band. Both ways are good, but the second rout is better cuz you can use it as many times that you want.

Thanks Ilonka (hehe I still call you that from the AF forums)! Yeah I had a feeling you used natural hair on your costume :) Yeah most do go with the wigs, which is sensible since it can be re-used like you said. But I don't want to pass up the chance to make my real hair useful before I chop it off lol.

Wow 15 bucks!!!! :eek: That's waaaay awesome. It's nothing like that here though, I've been reading around some Carribean salons and the going price for a full-head braid is $75.00 :(. In other words I may as well buy a pre-braided wig!

How long did you keep them in though before they started going apart?

kaliko_rosa
05-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Yay! My contacts arrived yesterday. I bought Dolly Eye brown (http://www.tokioshine.com/product_p/v209lb-brown.htm). I have slight astigmatism so it was nearly impossible to find the contacts I wanted (something a bit greener) with toric, so I said forget it and got the closest thing I could find, which also didn't look fake and solid yellow or something. Thankfully I've been fitted for a red pair for a previous costume (there, now my avatar lol), so I already had a doctor prescription on non-toric ones that's not too terribly old.... I can't see well enough to legally drive while wearing them LOL, but that's okay (because I won't be!).
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/6968763f400642eba50e019866e4c22e/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/6968763f400642eba50e019866e4c22e/fullsize.jpg)

Also, I made one of Neytiri's armbands
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/0478a7c04e184112abdac40e70efc3e3/1024.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/0478a7c04e184112abdac40e70efc3e3/1024.jpg)

Looks like the original, eh?
http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/c3c24198aae54c9daaeea11a20eb596a/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/c3c24198aae54c9daaeea11a20eb596a/fullsize.jpg)

http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/1a3b211b50e34bcf9cedbc155ab48bd5/fullsize.jpg (http://api.photoshop.com/home_574d2e5c6c07458eb7a51d0ca564576a/adobe-px-thumbnails/1a3b211b50e34bcf9cedbc155ab48bd5/fullsize.jpg)

Bought beads this week, and have more jewelry work to do this weekend, while I'm waiting on my blue zentai bodysuit to arrive... will be striping that myself... so much great inspiration from others of you who have done it, so I feel I can manage it.

Ordered a large Woochie cat face and it actually looks pretty good, just need to trim the whisker portion under the nose off. (Spirit gum to hold it to the face?)

Finally found a suitable wig on eBay and it's on its way! I'll show & tell when it arrives, if it is good.

Ordered Aradani's ears.... will see how they go.... I think we will be able to work with them.

Sort-of torn about the attire. Boyfriend wants me to dress a bit more modest, lol! I'll be in a full bodysuit already but he would rather I not look "nude." Might end up dressing more like Grace with shorts and red top. The costumer in me cringes because it's not "authentic" yet I think it will work, what do you guys think?

Beautiful work mermaiden! I love your left arm bracelet too :) I just finished mine, such a pain to bead such a long length, but it is quite a nice piece to have. Mine were glass beads like yours that shimmered a similar colour just like the movie! Makes you wonder if the movie folks made one first, and then put it into the computer, hehe.

How will you be striping the bodysuit, with sponge or airbrush? Aww your bf is giving you a hard time on the clothes huh, hehe. Yeah I don't consider the bodysuits to be "nude" either, I mean, you're covered from head to toe! lol. But I guess it shows off the curves *shrug* tell him you will beat off any fanboys with a 4 ft bow :D

Hey if you want to do the Grace outfit though, go for it !! I considered it too because it's comfortable, and you don't have to worry as much about beads falling apart, loincloths getting stuck on something, lol, stuff like that. I would personally like to see a Grace costume done :)

Chocobo chic
05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Ilonka (hehe I still call you that from the AF forums)! Yeah I had a feeling you used natural hair on your costume :) Yeah most do go with the wigs, which is sensible since it can be re-used like you said. But I don't want to pass up the chance to make my real hair useful before I chop it off lol.

Wow 15 bucks!!!! :eek: That's waaaay awesome. It's nothing like that here though, I've been reading around some Carribean salons and the going price for a full-head braid is $75.00 :(. In other words I may as well buy a pre-braided wig!

How long did you keep them in though before they started going apart?

Woah $75.00!? Thats ridiculous!! Thats a complete color, extensions and braid pakage here!
Ummm i had mine on for a week, but i took them off because my boyfriend was getting annoyed from the sounds that the beads make. LOL I cant wait to get them done again cuz it feels good to be able to ignore your hair for so long!:toothy:

kaliko_rosa
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Woah $75.00!? Thats ridiculous!! Thats a complete color, extensions and braid pakage here!
Ummm i had mine on for a week, but i took them off because my boyfriend was getting annoyed from the sounds that the beads make. LOL I cant wait to get them done again cuz it feels good to be able to ignore your hair for so long!:toothy:

LOL the sounds the beads make, that's cute :). I think that'd be the fun part! I did my own braids when I was like 13 but they were thicker and with rubber-bands, which was so painful to remove lol... yeah I wish I could have it professionally done, but no joke it's $75 bucks starting (and that's for average length hair, mine goes down to the small of my back T_T)

Chocobo chic
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I got new pictures! Check them out!!!
Also began working on version 2 progress pics are on the way as well as a battle makeup test.

Tom DePetrillo
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Chocobo I just saw your pic...I love them. Too bad you not near me(Rhode Island), I would love to get togeather for a photo shoot. I am almost ready with my Col. Quartch and my 10.5 foot AMP suit. I need to find some Na'vi (too crush underfoot) for a few good photos. Ah well, love your cosplay.
Tom

Chocobo chic
06-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I AM OPEN FOR COMISSIONS VIA PAYPAL!

I will comission any of the following cosplay items:

1.Na'vi jewelry (necklaces, armlets, chokers,head bands, macrame,earings ect)
2.Na'vi clothing (loincloths, beaded tops, legings)
3.Props (daggers, swords, bows and arrows, arm guards, shin guards)

I will be working with a select few at a time because there is only one of me and many of you, but in the end i will make sure to bend my time frames.
Please comission with at least 2-3 weeks prior to activity, shoot, ect.
Prices will vary depending on what kind of materials the person will choose. I am willing to work with wood, light metals, leather, hemp, exotic feathers, semi precious gems, glass beads, suede, craft foam and everything else in between.

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC IN SIZES, QUANTITY, AND PROVIDE A PHOTO OF DESIRED ITEMS.

Contact me at healingpixie@gmail.com OR just send me a private message and I will answer as soon as possible.

(comissioning certain items will not be possible during the month of June because I will not be at home. These items include: Props and leggings)

Thank you!

Tom DePetrillo
06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Making the costume and props is not the problem. Finding somone of the right body type, and who is not self connuess about wearing a body suit while hoping to be in a viral video. That is my problem. Eather way, LOVE your work.

kaliko_rosa
06-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Hey guys!!

I finally finished mine, wore it to Anime North this past weekend :). Photos are in my gallery as well as on my Facebook gallery:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=179876&id=505638150&l=fb6f67437a

There are a few pictures of me and other Neytiri's as well in further down pages :)

Overall, the costume went well =)!! It was pretty popular at the convention of course, since everyone knows Avatar. I was finished almost everything costume-wise, but did not bother with my braided wig because it looked horrendous on top of the ears. I will have to look into something in the future. I also was missing the dagger, a leg band, the arm brace, and fur on my tail.

The prosthetics from ReelMagik worked out well. They weren't sticking too good by the end though, but probably just needed some more cleaning love. I did not like my face paint at all (liquid kind), I'm definitely going for the powder/cake ones in the future all in one tone (because with this one I had to mix blue and white face paint, which took forever!)

The bodysuit made out of the hologram spandex worked out awesome. I made SO many mistakes while sewing it, but in the end the instructions from www.stretchy.org were worth all of the headache. It was so easy to put on and take off, the only daunting part was the face and up. I opted for removable gloves so again, makeup wouldn't fade throughout the convention, and so I could drive and such. The feet are just tight built-in socks right now, though I may re-do them as removable socks with separate toes. I'm also considering doing the gloves over to have 3 finger digits like the Na'Vi.

I enjoyed my experience with this costume, but I'm definitely revisiting it, especially since most of my jewellery didn't survive! I would love to lose a bit more weight, and practice making the prosthetics look right... also need to find a way to get makeup to stay on my neck! It always fades off.

Thanks for reading ^^

Tom DePetrillo
06-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Hello everyone, I got a photo of my AMP Suit, 90% done... 10'5" tall, 6'6" wide check it out on my photos!(sorry I don't know how to link)

PockyPants
06-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Mine is finally done after six stressful months, check it out: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/293177/

Tom DePetrillo
06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Great photo shoot, and I liked the way you were able to match the color so nicely from suit to face. going to Anime Next in 5 days, gotta get that amp suit done!

Tom DePetrillo
06-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi everybody, just got back from Anime Next, great time and some great pic, check out my photos for a look at the Costume. I was lucky enoufgh to find a great Cospay model, Yuffie Bunny, who was in an extremly impressive Na'vi cosplay

tereshkova2001
06-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Those are fantastic, Tom! I love the shots of you crushing the Na'vi. Very well done.

Tom DePetrillo
07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Bump.don't want to see such a good resource go down the drain.

Chocobo chic
07-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Bumps too. People dont let this thread die!!!! Start talking, its awfully quiet!

Tom DePetrillo
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I have been working on my Amp suit, but its all behind the curtin stuff, adding lights and making it more mobile. Soon to start making my Navi(bow first), going with a painted catsuit(ease of use over 7 days). Hope to see others work from SDCC. Post pic here!

Tom DePetrillo
07-26-2010, 11:53 PM
www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=278614&id=100000308353046
This is a pic of my Na'vi Bow, at stage 1

Chocobo chic
07-27-2010, 04:27 AM
www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=278614&id=100000308353046
This is a pic of my Na'vi Bow, at stage 1

Looks good! You should post the process pics here on cosplay.com though. Cant wait to see your finished AMP suit!

Kiwi54
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Dragon Con Meet up? If any Avatar cosplayers are going to D*C this year were and when should we meet up for a photoshoot?

tereshkova2001
07-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I'll be at Faerieworlds in Eugene, OR this weekend as an avatar; I'm very excited. Here's a teaser pic of my mark 0.5 version.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4761697704_954a23917e.jpg

The stripe patterns, body colors, and ears have all been upgraded since then.

Tom DePetrillo
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Agggg.. want to go to dragon-con!, Find many blue people(and CRUSH THEM )..
Tereshkova great looking pic, want to see the upgrades
I would go...but talking 10 days off in oct for cosplay is a lot with my lifestyle

tereshkova2001
08-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Here's my mark 1.0 Na'vi costume, as worn at Faerieworlds in Eugene, OR:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4858708535_9b0818e338.jpg

More shots here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21077670@N02/sets/72157624649868948/

At night:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4858713473_2d40a9d843.jpg

It was so much fun, and so many people loved it. Little kids, especially, were just amazed.

Divine Dragon
08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
How are you glowing like that? Is someone shining a blacklight on you or something?

tereshkova2001
08-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Yep! The longbow lights are LED blacklights, which worked quite well, and I found a larger blacklight near one of the dance floors to stand near and glow.

Tom DePetrillo
08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Love the light up bow!, your costume looks great!. Hope we can get together for some pic!

Tom DePetrillo
08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2658047/
new pic of Amp Suit

PockyPants
08-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I've compiled a list of resources for Na'vi prosthetics here (http://forum.learnnavi.org/cosplay-costuming/navi-prosthetic-resource-list/), check it out!

Tom DePetrillo
08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=306607&id=100000308353046
just some pic of my Bow & Arrows, other toys soon