PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Cosplay Help: How to dirty the outfit

Mavaex
10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I need to know how to dirty the outfit correctly.

I laid the fabric in tea over night and thats about it, what do I do next?

Should I get liquid Latex?

Any help is appreciated!

noblae
10-09-2009, 01:26 AM
When I dirtied my nurse costume I used a stick of compressed charcol and rubbed and smeared it into the fabric, I also used sandpaper to make the fabric look more worn where it would normal do so and a steal brush to add tatters, and when I added blood I put FX blood into a spary bottle and sprayed it onto it to give it a spatter effect. Liquid latex would help to give it a more decaying and cracked look if that's what you would want. I personaly don't that the pacients to let latex dry, but it would definatly give it a cool effect. If you desided to use latex make sure you add it to your costume first before you do any other forms of dirtying to it so that the latex won't be noticable.

happypillsxddr
09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I also soaked mine in tea to make it look dirty ^^ to make it look extra disgusting, I got a glass of water and put about four drops grey acrylic paint, five drops of rusty brown paint and two drops of red paint. If you drip this just one drop at a time across the collar, sleeves and skirt of the dress, you can use your hands to rub it in to make it look worn. The trick is to only let a few drops fall at a time (if you can, use an eye dropper), basically, the wetter it is, the harder it is to control, the less saturated the colour is and generally the crappier it is XD; once you've done as much as you like, you can dilute the leftover colour and scatter it over the dress randomly to make it look more worn. This won't make it look too dark, just work to discolour it more ^^
For the blood, I used red food colouring powder. For me, this worked the best as I could mix it up with a bit of white school glue and water to make a really realistic looking blood, or just rub the powder directly into the damp fabric to make it look darker, more saturated and to help with the overall tone of the design.
For my original dress, I did use liquid latex but I found the results pretty disappointing as it didn't react with the fabric as I would've liked it to, and steadily peeled off throughout the day. I hadn't really read any tutorials on how to use it correctly though, so I think this may have something to do with it ^^; but when I re-made my dress, I skipped the liquid latex step altogether and I think my dress looks a lot better for it ^^
Hope this helps!

rawien8706
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I put FX blood into a spary bottle and sprayed it onto it to give it a spatter effect.
Wow, I never thought of that! Great tip!

I just randomly brush stroked the heck out of mine... (Red first, then black, then red and repeat until desired color/s are shown.) Seemed to work out well enough for what I wanted to do.

Avianna
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
If you wanted a more realistic effect of blood, that will last longer and be cheaper. Try buying acrylic paint in the craft section at walmart. Pick a red and a brown. Mix some of it together in a cup until you get the more realistic blood color then add a ton of water.

If you put the garmet a little ways away from you in the backyard or where ever you can get dirty, you can use a paint brush to fling the paint onto the fabric for a blood splatter effect.

The best example of how you can do this is in this photo:http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2345360/

If you look at my friend Miri's ear, that is watered down acrylic that she dripped onto the ear. That's probably my favorite blood splatter ever.

Kuketsuki
11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
For my nurse, i used this tutorial with a little bit of improv: http://radical-rain.deviantart.com/art/Silent-Hill-Nurse-tutorial-122235121
Seriously, it was the most fun thing I have ever made. XD

Sateda
11-26-2010, 08:43 PM
A little late on this one but I thought I'd throw in a little suggestion.

If you have a back garden and the owner of the house/garden doesn't mind you digging up their flowerbeds a little, bury the dress in the garden overnight. If you want a mildly dirty effect, just bury it in dry soil in nice weather. If you want something more, either soak the dress and ring it out before you bury it or bury it on a wet night or in wet soil (even if you have to wet the soil yourself).
You don't have to dig that deep a hole, just scrunch the dress up small and shove it in there. For good measure, even twist it while it's in there.

I've never tried this with clothing before but I have done it with just normal fabric for past art projects and it looks great if done right (and it's hard to go wrong ^_^).

The only downside is that it may not smell too nice if the weather has been really bad (although it's not gonna smell nice if you soak it in tea, either!), but that's what Febreze is for >.<.

Browns are the most important colour to use, because none of the nurses are really that bloody. And if they are, it's dried blood, which is usually...brown! I'd say use minimal red as an accent.
Unless you're going for a nurse-that's-just-been-attacked look. In which case you need fake wounds, and I'd suggest soaking your hand and weapon in blood too, because a nurse only leaves a fight if she's won it :P.

Lady Valentine
01-03-2011, 03:53 AM
I used hot tea to dye my nurse dress. I took about 15 teabags, poured boiling hot water in a bucket, and let my dress soak in it for about 30 minutes. I let it dry in the sun for that crusty look. I also used coffee and fake blood for old and new blood stains. It's very easy and inexpensive.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/323859/

Chiruha
01-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

gcnkirby
09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm gonna add another vote for teabags. It worked wonders for my friends nurse outfit!

CreativeGuy
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Look up reference images of blood stained clothing on google. Only fresh blood is really red. As it dries it can also look brown, orange, etc. I used to get nose bleeds a lot. One day I pulled a prank on a teacher of mine by just taking the different colored markers and smudged them all over tissue when she had left the room. I had the look down. She completely bought it. Blood isn't just bright red.