PDA

View Full Version : Anime Evolution 2010 -Aug. 13-15

venus
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Just wanted to get a fresh start for the next coming year~
So who else will be, or thinking of, attending?

Melfice
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I will be there! I had a blast this year! August this time around is perfect! that way I can go a con'ing all year and not have to chose in June like this year...though i was glad I chose AE:)

XnumberXthirteenX
10-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I might be coming.... If at that point I can afford the hotel and all that crap XD I really want to go... at this point I have never been to a con before ^^ I am hoping to attend Otafest before AE so I should have some con experience before AE XD

Katface
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Unless something more important is going on in my life on that weekend, I have plans to be there. :D My first con, yay.

ISkylerI
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM
i plan on going just need plane tickets blah

Zasiel
11-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Planning on going again, the people I've met really make the convention for me.

khenemetset
11-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm hoping to go this year, but we'll have to see what happens in the money department. :/

Midnight-Nin
11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Definitely attending. And for once, after three separate occasions of attending (except only 1 day), some of my friends are coming along :3 Ahhh, I'll be helping them with their first time cosplays xD weee!

AleriaCarventus
11-26-2009, 01:11 AM
A friend and I are going for our first time! We're both super excited, and I can't wait to start on our costumes.

asino_474
12-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I really want to go , but I have to go to Korea for visiting my Family. So sad TT

GeneralCeles
01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey this will be my first convention if i get to go, really excited about making costumes. anyone got advice or tips to share in regards to convention itself?

-Alicè-
01-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I might make an apperance :)
Depending on if I feel like driving 8 hours in a car...
Screw it, i'm going to try to come.

gloomyjuana
01-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I really really really want to go.
I live on the island though, so it might be difficult to get there :(

x__FullMetal
01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm contemplating whether I want to go again this year. I was really disappointed last year. I live on the Island as well which is why I hesitate considering that three or four hours is traveling time to get there. But I want to make something in my spare time, so why not a Link cosplay eh? =)

gloomyjuana
01-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Was it not too good last year?

Decarabia
01-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I'll be going again; I haven't missed a year basically since it started so why start now? If anyone needs transportation help or advice I'd be glad to lend a hand; I live on the Island too.

Atlantia
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I'll be flying in all the way from Thunder Bay to get to this con! I'll be Haruhi from The Melancholy Haruhi Suzumiya, Chii from Chobits, and I'm not sure what my third will be. I'll have to look into that more. >.>

Decarabia
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Which version of Chii are you doing?

x__FullMetal
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I think that the space was just too large for last year, it was hard to figure out what was going on without going up and down escalators all day. I'll probably end up going this year, I've got for five years now xD If anyone else is doing Zelda, let me know!

Atlantia
02-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I'll be going as Bakery Chii complete with Weaved basket with a large bow. Perhaps with some little treats to hand out as well.

AngelStarAvalon
02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I can't wait for AE this year! I just finished my new Lacus Clyne Costume yesterday^^

Miss_Kawaiix
02-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm going! I couldn't go last year due to the convention being at a really dumb time during the year and on the same dates at my Grad. -.-;
Other than that I've been going since... pretty much when it started haha. I'll be doing Berserker Rikku from FFX-2 this year, and maybe someone from Ocarina of time. Not really sure on my second costume yet ^^;

XnumberXthirteenX
02-26-2010, 12:23 AM
I really hope I can go. I live in Calgary, and I have to drag along my mom (not old enough to book a hotel room). It will be my... 2nd, I think, con, if I go to Otafest in Calgary. I'm hoping to cosplay Zexion, Marluxia and Roxas/Xion/Sora (Don't know which one yet, probably Roxas) from Kingdom Hearts. Pretty much for sure, Zexion and most likely the other 2. If anyone has any hotel advice, like which hotel is good for a tight budget (not even sure how tight the budget really is) please let me know! xD

NaruFollow
04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Im going! :3 ill be there all 3 days<3

Doll♠
04-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I'll be going! Probably as Oebra Yun Fang from FFXIII ;D

DEATHnote~
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have a place for me and maybe a two friends to stay? o:

AleriaCarventus
04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Does anyone have a place for me and maybe a two friends to stay? o:
Try posting on the AE forums: here (http://animeevolution.net/index.php). You should be able to work out sharing a room with someone :)

Soku
04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm going! ( Still have to register though T_T)

I will be cosplaying as:

Friday: Hanshin Republic Artbook Syaoran
Saturday: Dark Timestaff Artbook Syaoran

And for sunday, I'm not quite sure, I might go as Roberta again, re-try my Azel, or go as CCS School uniform Syaoran xD

Turtleen
04-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I'll be going :D I missed it last year because of that new time, but now that it's back in August, it's much more doable!

minimidna
05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Im sooo excited! 3 months away!

Keita-Kuhn
05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
For everyone cosplaying, I have one suggestion on what not to do.

Rei in the shower scene from Evangellion.

Yes, someone did that, and all they had was the wig, a towel covering their nipples, and see through cotton panties.

Anyway, I am going to AE this year. I am likely going as Kamen Rider Den O, or the Cosmic Prince for all three days.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/chronoxiong/Sentai/KamenRiderDen-O7.jpg

2Dthrust
06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I think I'm going to go! If I go, this would be my first convention =3 I just want to ask the people who have gone to it before if it's good. I'm wondering if a lot of people go? I thank whoever could answer ^^;;

AngelStarAvalon
06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
2Dthrust: This is going to my 5th year going to AE. It's a great con, lots of fun, lots to do, lots of ppl.

Eerie Butterfly
06-21-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm going to try to go this year, but it depends on if I could get the time off from work and if I could find a decent flight and hotel. I am going for sure next year though.

x__FullMetal
06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Ugh. So I have changed my costume idea again, I'm now doing Avatar. Just rewatched the series and I still love it =) Katara all the way!
So stoked! Only two more months, or a bit less than that.

Zennousha
06-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Would attempt to go, but likely won't have the money to do so. I also don't have a credit card this year for accommodation either.

Kagome_sitboy
07-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Well Of Course Im Going Ive Gone For The Past Couple Years!...And For Me Its Some What Close By...Only Like A 30min To Hour Drive..
This Year As Far As I Know Im Cosplaying
Friday - Silent Hill Nurse
Saturday - Princess Serenity (Maybe Chii Depends On The Money)
Sunday - Neo Queen Serenity !

Zena
07-13-2010, 12:41 AM
I'd love to be able to go to this convention, but money is a huge situation for me right now. That being said, are there any cosplay groups in the Vancouver area (more specially, close to Maple Ridge) that get together to have some relatively free fun?

Kagome_sitboy
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
omg no one is posting anymore.. is that it only 3 pages or people going.. theres gotta be more people going... haha im bored.. and want to bring this tread back to life... like who are you all going as? whats your favorite thing to do at ae?

XnumberXthirteenX
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Earlier I said I hoped I could go... I can't :( I'm free that weekend... but I don't have enough money... or any money at all Dx (my bank balance is literally $0.03... no joke) I'm going to tr to go next year though! If I can fit AE and Animethon together because Animethon is the weekend before AE this year... o.0 I can't even go to that!

So I hope I can make it next year! I would love to go!

Cosplay Cyborg
07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Ooh wow. So many cool cosplays! Would you believe I'm coming all the way from Los Angeles, CA for this convention? I'm just that hardcore!! (Not really. My friend decided she wanted to drag me to con and since that's the closest one to her I busted my butt to show. Not that I mind. It sounds like epic win!) I'm excited either way. I'm an amateur Photographer so I'll be lurking in BC for a while. I need pictures of just about EVERYTHING. And I'm the retarded kind of tourist who's first item on the agenda is to compare Starbucks with Timmy's. *shot* I am sooo sorry... I should really learn to shut my gob. > <

Roxzaney
07-31-2010, 11:28 PM
It's my first time going to a convention. I'm still not sure if I can make it, but do you have to cosplay? My friend invited me on short notice, and I can't really do anything at this point. Are there other people who don't cosplay? =^.^= Thankies if someone could answer!~

Kiryoku
08-01-2010, 03:19 PM
There are many people who go there without cosplaying, so you won't be the only one. If it's your first time, go and enjoy the con without a cosplay so you can take as many pictures and go to as many panels as you want. If you want to start cosplaying next year so you have less for this year. =)

11 more days!

Tragic_Prince
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Cant wait to see you guys! <3

LillyRose
08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm going to Anime Evolution :3
So excited! My first actual cosplay convention. I'm going with my best friend and hopefully my cosplay buddy. (:

Only think I've having troubles with is my costume... I started on Sheik from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I think I bit off more then I could chew. I'm not the best with costume making... and Sheik turned out to be a lot harder then I thought. /: Getting worried she won't be ready on time for the convention.

Roxzaney
08-06-2010, 12:21 AM
KIRYOKU, thankies soooooo much! ^^ That really reassured me~

Kagome_sitboy
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
omg im so excited its only 6 days away..! so my plan is for the ball on Thursday im princess serenity... friday the 13th im a silent hill nurse with my friend...and saturday princess serenity again.. and sunday neo queen serenity! and its my birthday...! yay!

Roxzaney
08-06-2010, 10:55 PM
omg im so excited its only 6 days away..! so my plan is for the ball on Thursday im princess serenity... friday the 13th im a silent hill nurse with my friend...and saturday princess serenity again.. and sunday neo queen serenity! and its my birthday...! yay!

There is a ball on Thursday? O.o Oh, and can you tell me if I have to go early to get registered at the door? And how early? Thankies!~

Kagome_sitboy
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM
There is a ball on Thursday? O.o Oh, and can you tell me if I have to go early to get registered at the door? And how early? Thankies!~

yes for all those who have pre reg pick up is form 4-8
and if you havn't you still can get into the ball it just cost 5$

Roxzaney
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
yes for all those who have pre reg pick up is form 4-8
and if you havn't you still can get into the ball it just cost 5$

I'm planning on going, but not to the ball. I checked the site and I found that the price is about $35-$45 depending on the day, and the 3-day registration is about $55 (I think). A few questions if you could answer, thankies ^^:

1. How early about do I have to go to get registered? Cause I heard that the line might be huge, if I don't go early! (Time-wise on that day)

2. For the 3-day registration at the door, do I tell them on Friday?

3. Do they give me some kind of special 3-day pass, not the regular one day, for question 3?

4. What is the pass? A wristband?

5. Do I just go (on the day I'm going) to the door to register regularly? With the registration form of course.

Thankies if you could help, or if ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO ANSWER, please feel freee to help me during my time on worryment (X3 My word~)... o.O or is it actually a word....

-Roxzaney-

Kagome_sitboy
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm planning on going, but not to the ball. I checked the site and I found that the price is about $35-$45 depending on the day, and the 3-day registration is about $55 (I think). A few questions if you could answer, thankies ^^:

1. How early about do I have to go to get registered? Cause I heard that the line might be huge, if I don't go early! (Time-wise on that day)

2. For the 3-day registration at the door, do I tell them on Friday?

3. Do they give me some kind of special 3-day pass, not the regular one day, for question 3?

4. What is the pass? A wristband?

5. Do I just go (on the day I'm going) to the door to register regularly? With the registration form of course.

Thankies if you could help, or if ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO ANSWER, please feel freee to help me during my time on worryment (X3 My word~)... o.O or is it actually a word....

-Roxzaney-

alrite well to answer your questions

1. i would suggest getting there really early.. for people who haven't registered you can wait in a line for 1-3 hours...

2. if you want a three day pass just tell them that..

3. they give you a 3 day pass unless you just want a one day pass

4. the pass is a badge.. this is a picture of my friend last year with her 3 day badge http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/Kerenda05/badge.jpg

5.yes make sure you will out the forums and have photo idea and another piece of id on you!

Roxzaney
08-08-2010, 04:11 PM
alrite well to answer your questions

1. i would suggest getting there really early.. for people who haven't registered you can wait in a line for 1-3 hours...

2. if you want a three day pass just tell them that..

3. they give you a 3 day pass unless you just want a one day pass

4. the pass is a badge.. this is a picture of my friend last year with her 3 day badge http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/Kerenda05/badge.jpg

5.yes make sure you will out the forums and have photo idea and another piece of id on you!

^^ Thankies so much, you've been the biggest help... sadly, I found that I probably won't go. T.T there is one next year right? Luv you so much for helping out!

♥ Roxzaney ♥

vikitty
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I went to AE in like... 2005? It was pretty fun. I wish I could go this year but sadly no costume. :/ And it's far from where I live and I don't drive. D: Or else I would totally join you guys.

Maybe next year! :P

Roxzaney
08-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Meh~ I'm not going anymore XP
Maybe next year!
>.<

Kagome_sitboy
08-09-2010, 01:18 AM
awe thats to bad... its going to be alot of fun..

LillyRose
08-16-2010, 04:01 AM
omg... Saturday was INCREDIBLE <3

Kiracoma
08-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Just got back from AE today, took a bunch of pictures, wonder if I got any of you in them but here they are :D

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/cinamonspice/Anime%20Evolution%202010/

Kiracoma
08-17-2010, 01:15 AM
AE 2010 was fantastic! For all of those that attended (or didn't) here's a link to all the photos I managed to take, I hope you enjoy :)

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/cinamonspice/Anime%20Evolution%202010/

Melfice
08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
This convention is definitely one of the best in Canada ^^

I travel pretty far to attend every year that I can!

I did not take any pictures though....keep forgetting my camera!!

Next time it will be plastered to my side.:sunny:

Kiryoku
08-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I can't believe it's over. Already! I had a great time. I wish there was signs downstairs to show that there are more artists upstairs. I know many didn't know it was there till sat, sun or after the con. Can't wait for next year!

Melfice
08-18-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't believe it's over. Already! I had a great time. I wish there was signs downstairs to show that there are more artists upstairs. I know many didn't know it was there till sat, sun or after the con. Can't wait for next year!

That happened to me my first year at the con. I only went upstairs on the Sunday....don't worry you will remember for next year!

nessabutterfly
11-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I have a random question, since the con site is all at that "coming soon" stage.

I'm Canadian, went to college in Abbotsford, and was then dragged away to Florida by my wonderful husband. Sadly, I discovered conventions down here and have never been to a Canadian con.

My brain tells me that cons would be far cooler in Vancouver than they are in Orlando. I'd LOVE to merge a vacation with a con (or if nothing else, take really amazing costume pics in Van!), but I'm wondering what this con is like. How big is it? What sort of events are usually held? Is there a costume contest? If so, how many people usually enter, and how competitive is it? How much is a weekend pass?

Maybe I'm just homesick for my mountains. But the idea of Asian backgrounds for pics, and the ability to not sweat to death in a costume just sound so appealing to me right now!

NeoSerenity
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a random question, since the con site is all at that "coming soon" stage.

I'm Canadian, went to college in Abbotsford, and was then dragged away to Florida by my wonderful husband. Sadly, I discovered conventions down here and have never been to a Canadian con.

My brain tells me that cons would be far cooler in Vancouver than they are in Orlando. I'd LOVE to merge a vacation with a con (or if nothing else, take really amazing costume pics in Van!), but I'm wondering what this con is like. How big is it? What sort of events are usually held? Is there a costume contest? If so, how many people usually enter, and how competitive is it? How much is a weekend pass?

Maybe I'm just homesick for my mountains. But the idea of Asian backgrounds for pics, and the ability to not sweat to death in a costume just sound so appealing to me right now!

I've been going to AE for a few years and some of my friends have been going pretty much since the first year it started. AE is a somewhat small con with at best 5000 people. There are costume contests, panels, anime idol, and other various things (artist alley, merchandise vendors, the glomp game, etc...). From what I've seen AE is a pretty relaxed convention (The cosplay contest doesn't seem too competitive, anime idol seems more so though), with the demographic of 45-50% underage people (under 18 I believe). If you like smaller cons with a bunch of fun crazy kids running around, then it's a great place to be. Last year it was held at UBC and because it was held there, I felt more of a sense of community (as compared to, say, sakura con) and it was very easy to strike up a conversation with people. But also there are a whole host of issues with AE ranging from uptight and rude cosplayers to staff problems (like any convention out there). Every year pre reg pass pickup takes forever.... for the past couple years there has been a ban on yaoi paddles because of inappropriate use and even signs that say "free hugs" are not allowed anymore.

But overall it is a good con. For a weekend pass I believe it's about $50-60 at the door, but if you pre-reg it can be much cheaper (depending on when you decide to pre-reg). Personally it's not worth flying in for, but if you happen to be visiting while the con is going on then it's definitely worth going (come find me! we can hang out!! >_<).

Now I have a question for you, since you are over in Florida. My parents have a time share right outside of Daytona Beach and I've often thought about scheduling a vacation to overlap with a convention over there. So what are the cons like over there? Also, have you ever been to the star wars convention (is it worth going)?

nessabutterfly
01-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Now I have a question for you, since you are over in Florida. My parents have a time share right outside of Daytona Beach and I've often thought about scheduling a vacation to overlap with a convention over there. So what are the cons like over there? Also, have you ever been to the star wars convention (is it worth going)?

My husband is actually interviewing at Amazon in Seattle right now, so we might not be in Florida much longer!

Florida cons are... interesting. There is a LOT of drama compared to other places. The same people tend to go to all of the conventions and even though a lot of them are really big, there's a lot of community. But sometimes people find people a little on the backstabbing side. I've never experienced it personally, but I hear about it all the time.

The conventions themselves-- well, I have nothing to compare them to since I've never been to an out of state con. Contests can be fairly competitive, but they're a lot of fun.

The closest convention to Daytona would be EXP Con in St. Augustine. It's mid-October. PERFECT time to be in Florida. Still hot enough to do all the beachy stuff, but not DEADLY hot. It's a small con-- this will be it's 4th year. It's fun though. Very laid back, but in a GORGEOUS hotel! Lots of on-site photo ops, but very far out of town, so not many other hotels or food options around. All the rooms have a bar fridge though, so it's easy to bring food along.

NezumiChan
03-09-2011, 01:15 AM
I've been hearing from a lot of people that AE wont be happening this year :/ apparently there is a replacement convention called Cos and Effect? one of my friends was told it was a cosplay fashion show... but I am not sure

Akiyhrah
03-12-2011, 05:24 AM
I've been hearing from a lot of people that AE wont be happening this year :/ apparently there is a replacement convention called Cos and Effect? one of my friends was told it was a cosplay fashion show... but I am not sure

They made an official announcement on the website that the staff members are stepping down because the executives have some issues that have yet to be dealt with. The con isn't officially cancelled yet, but pretty much everyone on the forums and in the community agrees that it is very unlikely that it will happen this year. However we are hopeful that the execs will get their crap together and we can have AE 2012.

As for Cos & Effect, it's a two day cosplay convention, happening at UBC on August 13th and 14th. It will be an actual convention with panels, events, contests, the Artist's Alley, etc, but it will be more focused on cosplay, Lolita, and alternative fashion. This means that there won't be a gaming room and stuff like that.

Check out the IRL Events forums for details: http://irlevents.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.0

There's also a Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134645143267968