PDA

View Full Version : Original Character Designs: How to Make People Know Who the Character is.

BrainNinja
10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know if there's already a thread about this or what, but I had this question floating in my head. Since some people take a character from and anime or manga and change it to fit their likes and such, how do people recognize them? In example, if someone dressed as Naruto but changed the outfit, how would the fans know they are cosplaying Naruto? (And not just by the spikey hair.)

I've had a few original character designs in my head, too, but I didn't think people would really know who I was cosplaying as. (Considering the person I cosplay as is from a not-so-popular anime.)

saimon
10-16-2009, 08:55 PM
People will only recognize the design if the character dressed up has distinguishing features that set them apart from other characters.

In Naruto's case....his whisker line thingies on his cheeks.

Aduial
10-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I agree with Le-Sai. If you have an original character design and you want people to recognize the character, something is going to have to stay.

I'm not a Naruto fan, but the spikey hair AND whiskers will tell me that you are Naruto even if you change the costume design. If you remove the whiskers and just leave the spikey hair...I know about three other characters from three totally different series you could possibly be.

Snow_Storm
10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Leave something that the fans will pick up immediately, something that would make Nartuo noticeable in a snap if you were to do anything to change the character into your own design. Myself for example is gonna add some original things to my cosplay but I'm gonna leave some distinguishing features of the character I'm playing like not tucking in my dress shirt and making the necktie loose.

MelonPlay
10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I somehow modified the weddingdress Agito (Air Gear) wears to my own liking, but stayed with his hairstyle, the eye patch and his contact lenses plus the wings. And actually everyone I met who knew what Air Gear was knew that I was cosplaying as Agito. If you want to be sure that everyone recognizes you (everyone who knows the series) than either stay with the original costume or do as everyone else above me said. (wow, I hope my english wasn't too bad <.< )