PDA

View Full Version : League of Extraordinary Gentleman costumes

Lucifer
08-20-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm just curious if anyone will be attempting a costume from LXG. A friend and I are making some for a comic con next year (she'll be creating Mina, I'll be makind Dorian Grey).

The film boasted some really nice costumes, and what with Dragon con so close, wondered if anyone else had simular plans.

Lu-san

Daala
08-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Whoa! I hope you post some photos in you gallery once their done.

Sarcasm-hime
08-20-2003, 12:17 PM
I have a bunch of gorgeous black-and-burgundy silk sitting around waiting to be made into a Mina costume...^_^ Dunno when though.

I'd be doing an original costume, though...something from the comics maybe. The movie sucked ass compared to the comics...

yayahan
08-20-2003, 06:35 PM
I can not wait to see those!! Unlike many critics I thought the movie was wonderfully entertaining... especially with Dorian's shirt ripped off... *ahem*.....

Lucifer
08-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Its going to be a long while till I ever post pictures of the group. We have about six months till the con, but if all goes well it'll be one exciting group.

I've wanted to read the comic, but unfortunately it's rather expensive. u.u; I enjoyed the film though, especially seeing it a second time. ^^;

Kaede
08-20-2003, 11:34 PM
When I saw Dorian Gray's first outfit I automatically got the urge to cosplay it...especially since I love Oscar Wilde. So who knows...I've got to work on my Victorian charm if I decide to though.

Sarcasm-hime
08-21-2003, 01:51 AM
Dorian was the only thing I liked about the movie; he was indeed yummalicious. *lol* Unfortunately they eliminated pretty much all of the depth from all the characters...WTF is with Jekyll and Hyde reconciling and being friends?!?! And don't get me started on Mina...in the comics SHE is the leader, not Quatermain. Feh...that's what you get when you make a movie about literary figures but then assume that your viewers have never read anything. -.-;;

Anyways, yeah....costumes. A full Victorian ensemble would take quite awhile...so many costumes to do...I was thinking about putting together a group myself, but all my friends are deadbeats when it comes to cosplay.

Hitori
08-21-2003, 01:55 AM
Yay! Actually, I'm dressing mi family up. We've mi as Mina, one elder brother as Grey, mi father as Nemo, and *maybe* the other elder bro as someone. I'm not sure what con yet.

Satine
08-21-2003, 03:19 AM
sarcasm: Did you send an email to the h-cost about your burgundy and black silk? I was going to reply that you could do a base skirt in black if you couldn't get matching fabric;) You know black underskirt with lots's of burgundy and black drapery etc. But that was when I was thinking 1880s;)

ACXchan
08-21-2003, 03:24 AM
I also prefer the comics over the movie but I did enjoy the movie itself. I viewed them as two different projects, same thing with From Hell. Moore's comic was WAY deeper and more profound, but damnit, the movie had the ever gorgeous Johnny Depp XD!

Er... anyway what I'd really like to see is someone trying to cosplay The Invisible Man XD He can walk around with an entourage of school girls from the comics.

Garuda_Aiacos
08-21-2003, 08:43 AM
My friend was saying about doing the Invisible Man for our end of year Event. If she really do it, I'll post photos here.

For myself, well since I'm a gal, I'll love to do Mina's, especially the one she wore when she fight. But well, too many LOTR costumes projects rite now to think about doing other costumes. :(

peaseblossom
08-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Alan Moore is a god among men!

Sarcasm: I totally agree that the movie sucked compared to the comic. I mean, what the fuck! They shoulda just used the storyline form the comic. It would have been badass! Also, the way the dude who drank all of Jekyll's serum looked was the way Hyde was actually *supposed* to look!

Sarcasm-hime
08-22-2003, 12:30 PM
I think what annoyed me most was that when they first introduced Hyde in the movie, they did it RIGHT. He was horrible and violent, but not dumb--he was actually intelligent and erudite while still amoral and evil. But then they threw that all away coz in Hollywood the 'good-guy' team can't have an evil person in it, I suppose. Feh.

My entire rant on the LXG movie: http://www.livejournal.com/~sarcasm_hime/8803.html

Satine: yeah, I did. Still would welcome any suggestions. I actually went out and snapped up some more of that fabric, so now I have enough for a full outfit.

Sweet~Pea
08-22-2003, 12:56 PM
I've been meaning to do a LXG cosplay. Probuly for Great American Comic Expo (Boston) in June. I'm going as Rogue for one day with our X-men group, but I'm thinking of ether doing Mina or Skinner. Skinner would be fun hehe. Might get my friend to do Dorian and maybe have some other friends to do some other characters :)
-Christa :japan:

bell of yrael
08-31-2003, 03:08 PM
I did LXG cosplay for Otakon and BAAF though not many people recognized who I was. Did the movie version of Jekyll because I have a really sad obsession with Jason Flemyng, I have some of the pictures up. He was one of the things I really liked about the movie, he made Jekyll more interesting but I guess to balance that out they made Hyde really blah.

Drackt
03-04-2004, 08:59 PM
BUT MORIARITY WAS PRETTY HOT, IMO! :love:

I want to prolly do a Mori/Herr Fantom cosplay down the line....

Yes, I do like to cross-dress. You should've seen my interpretations of the youma versions of BSB...pretty Takarazuka.

RoxieRocket
03-05-2004, 02:22 PM
I remember another thread rambling about this... On my super long list of costumes I want to make, there's a female version of Captain Nemo on there. :P

Usually I'd just crossplay if it was a male character, but I can't abide wearing a beard hahaha XD;;

Bell: I have such a Jekyll/Hyde complex myself, but I loved how they did Hyde in the movie.. especially since they did such a decent job of making him look NOT fakey, and didn't cheap out and make him a big dumb monster either.

ACXchan
03-06-2004, 01:01 AM
I was really surprised to see that it was Richard Roxburgh playing Moriarty. I seriously didn't know until I saw the credits @D@ I would do Dorian Gray or Captain Nemo cosplay but I also don't think I could pull off the beard, I'd be a strange looking Nemo ^ ^;; I think it'd be sweet though that if people do the movie versions of LXG they have a Dorian and Mina pair to go immortal-sparring XD

RoxieRocket
03-11-2004, 12:01 AM
SO I went to FIDM yesterday and saw the LXG costumes they had on display there.. omg! Mina's two main costumes, Dorian's, and Captain Nemo's were up... I wish photos were allowed but, yeah. They weren't.

If anyone is real serious about making either of those, I might go back (to drool at all of those costumes not just the ones for LXG @_@), and if anyone wants me to make some detail sketches, just say so. ^_^

ACXchan
03-13-2004, 11:49 PM
The LXG costumes are on display at the FIDM?? The Hollywood one? Why was I not informed XD

Lucifer
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
The only sketches I've seen of LXG are on the dvd itself. The costume creator goes into extreme details about each character's costume.

RoxieRocket
03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
The LXG costumes are on display at the FIDM?? The Hollywood one? Why was I not informed XD

LOL if you live in LA TOTALLY GO THERE NOW! FIDM downtown does a selection of the costumes from movies released every year. Since I'm new to the area it was my first time to go there, but seriously, it's so hella awesome.

I think the exhibit goes until sometime April. They've got stuff from LoTR, Chicago, X2, Daredevil (like wow! Red leather! XD), LXG, The Last Samurai, Big Fish, etc! I was a happy fangirl. :p

But yeh, next time I go to the fabric district I'm popping back in there and making some careful sketches of Capt. Nemo's clothes. They are AWESOME.

ACXchan
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Sweeeeeet thanks Roxie for sharing, I'm going back to LA for spring break next week. I'm actually from there but decided to attend university in SF. I took a look at the FIDM website and WOW yes I DO need to hit it soon! Thankfully it'll run until after I come back so I'm sure I can drag people along, thanks again XD

I think it'd be really neat if someone cosplayed Dr. Jekyll just after he'd finished his transformation on the Nautilus. The one moment when he's a human but his shirt is torn and he's got chains around his shoulders but he says oh so formally "Dr. Jekyll.... at your service." That would make a fun costume variation.