PDA

View Full Version : Making horns

Berrymon
10-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm planning to dress as Lambo from Katekyo Hitman Reborn for Halloween.
and I don't know how to make his horns. hahaha

What materials should i use?
How can I make them stay on my wig?
If I make it out of fabric is there a pattern I can follow.

Reference:
LAMBO! (http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/aa17810295c48f8d15fb62eb99ba01d41234449577_full.pn g)

Thank you!

AznTranquility
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Just go model magic, it's pretty lightweight. Attach alligator clips on the end or something. Or sew it on?

okageo
10-22-2009, 01:47 PM
haha tiny horn like that use paperclay if you want something solid. or sew it alot of people are doing it that way. cut the pattern and stuff it!!!

Tonksie
10-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I like paperclay. Model magic is what I used to make my horns for my draenei, but it was a pretty difficult material to work with, even though it's lightweight. You can glue them or mold them to a headband and poke it through your wig.

Chipface
10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna have to say paperclay as well. Air dries and is sandable.

Berrymon
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys!
Also is paperclay the brand or the type of clay?

WARPAINTandUnicorns
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Paperclay is a brand name ^_^

http://www.paperclay.com/

You can bu it at micheals.

I should try to use Model magic but I prefer a sand-able clay as well.

Small alligator clips are great I bought mine on ebay for really cheap. You will want to glue them on with an expoy or E6000 glue though.

Berrymon
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Ah okay. Thanks.

Well I already bought Model Magic and I was wondering do I make the whole horn out of clay or do I make a base for the horn and then cover it with the clay?

I was thinking of making the whole horns out of model magic, but I'm scared that it will be to heavy. It won't, right. Since it's suppose to be lightweight?

I'm sorry I'm just paranoid that I will ruin the clay.

A19Riku
10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
model magic is very light it won't be heavy at all. if you use paperclay it might weight alightly more but not enough to cause a problem.

Honestly what I would do though actually is first sculpt the the horn out of some kind of clay (air dry is what I used but whatever is cheap and will hold its shape it doesn't matter about weight or any of that.)

then I would papermache over the horn like 4-5 times. Also I would test first to see if the mache sticks to the horn once dry bc if it does just coat the horn with a layer of that cheap clear tape or something else that won't connect to the clay.

next cut the papermache off and put other pieces of mache over the cut to seal it up

then I would cover the entire thing in paperclay and sand it smooth.

I know this method is a lot more involved then just sculpting a horn but I can say from experience that it will just hold up a lot better. First off while model magic is very light (don't get me wrong I love this stuff) it has a really bad tendancy to break or crumble when it is just sculpted with out any support in the center. and while I know everyone intends to be nice to their horns and such its just when they stick out from your costume it will get knocked into at some point and papermach base is soooo much harder to crack then a solid sculpted item. and trust me these will hold up I used them on my cecil cosplay and ran into sooo much stuff bc they were sticking off my sholders and I couldn't fit through doors anymore but they don't break bc this way is much stronger.

Also I would just go ahead and get paperclay (I have priced it to the oz and its the same price as model magic) bc it is a lot stronger ! and it sands sooo much better when you only have a thin layer bc model magic will again crumble.

Then finally I would get a headband and attach the horns to those and just hide the band bc while im sure clips will hold it is really annoying to have to readjust things in the middle of the con if they slip down slightly

ah well sorry for the essay XD I didn't think I had that much to say woops well good luck

Temperance
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
With toony horns like that you could buy a cheap plastic viking helmet from your nearby costume store and remove the horns.

okageo
10-28-2009, 06:44 PM
get a cardboard draw out the horn. then on each side of the cardboard fill it with paperclay (put more then you have to ) after its dry sand them to shape. adding water will make it stick to the board